Sign in to follow this  
RydelSleak

Two Suggestions; Settlers and Ship Anchoring

Personally, I enjoy the colonies system, I think it is far better than Empires. However, there needs to be one large change made to it. (I play on PvE)

Settlers

"Settlers" should have to be accepted by the island owners using a system similar to inviting to a company. This would foster communication and cooperation between island owner and settler, where right now that isn't particularly the case.

If they are not accepted as a settler or are just visiting the island, then anything they place should have a 24 hr timer on it that auto decays once the timer has run out. This allows people to still travel and set up temporary outposts / taming pens but nerfs their ability to troll. I've had several Chinese players show up to my small coast and thatch foundation spam me for no reason other than to troll. This would help to nerf griefers with an automated system that doesn't require Moderators to step in. It also prevents ugly trash buildings and keeps the environment more "natural".

Anchoring at Foreign Islands

Along with the thatch foundation spam I've gotten, multiple ships from individual Chinese players have parked all around my waterfront building preventing me from finishing my small build. They have parked in my shipyards, attempted to block my Galleons in with rafts, and more. Ships anchored at Islands owned by another Company should have to pay a docking fee for being there after X amount of time. If that fee isn't paid then a timer to declaim the ship should start, that way if they never return for their ship (I'm looking at you Rafts and Ramshackle Sloops) the Island Owners can simply claim and demolish the ship, or keep it if they wish. Obviously larger ships would have larger timers, similar to the piracy system of claiming ships now.

Edited by RydelSleak
Title change for accuracy
  • Like 2

Love the ship idea, that will give purpose to the piracy skill tree in PVE. 

About the 24 hour decay, i'd say is better to keep that for a settler too.  But non settler can have their things demolished whenever the island owner wants. That way if you have a big island but someone sneaks some foundations they can be destroyed. Settler will have some peace of mind knowing their stuff can stay on the island after 24 hours have passed and usually, i'd like to guess you will talk to the owner before building something, that way you know if you are not blocking something they are planning. 

The main problem I'm having is not really people trying to settle so much as trolls just looking for that troll. Sure, I can chase them around and use a pillar to find their foundation locations, but when they are spamming hundreds of them why am I having to chase down every single foundation so that I don't miss one?

I feel like island ownership is less of a perk and more of a burden right now, every idiot on a ship that shows up we have to track down and make sure they aren't a troll just being stupid. Most of them won't even communicate with us, even though we greet them nicely and try to establish contact. If they had to be accepted as a Settler, they'd have to contact us, which would help to foster community as the Devs want. As for trolls, if there was an automatic timer that destroyed their building after 12-24 hrs for non-settlers I wouldn't have to worry about it and they'd lose the wind in their sails about wanting to waste their time on something that will be dealt with automatically. I mean, we all know it won't 100% fix the problem, because people are dumb, but I hope that it would make a serious dent in the tickets put in for griefing, on PvE at least. :L

Edited by RydelSleak