Sign in to follow this  
Kast

Caution It's Foggy! Tab Out and Check Facebook!

Of all the random environmental effects, fog is the most obnoxious. It's not fun and it's not a challenge. If you're hunting ghost ships, whales or players and fog hits, the best thing you can do is drop sail and check your various social media sites and maybe The Onion (in fact, I'm typing this while waiting through the third fog in 30 minutes). If you're going from point A to B, you just ignore the fog and travel via map; and if you're looking for something - well, the game has just politely asked you to stop doing that for a while.

The only possible use for fog might be as a means of stealth through heavily PvP'd regions. There is a value to that, but good grief, it shouldn't occur literally every 10 minutes. Make it rare, but maybe last all day, and announce it the day before: "Tomorrow will be very foggy!" etc.. That way, the blockade runners can prepare, and the rest of us can spend the day RPing on shore or something.

Edited by Kast
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

yeah i told them on twitter, the fog is ridiculous. but guess what, they don't read twitter. they don't care about gameplay aswell, it will stay a sandbox pirate survival ark clone, and not an Fantasy-MMO... tbh it has nothing from an MMO...

i am pretty pissed how the game is now but well, it's not my baby.

• Like 1

The weather needs some work.  For one thing, it changes too fast -  hot one minute, freezing the next, sometimes both at once....everybody has to keep an entire wardrobe of clothes around and change more often than a victorian socialite.    I don't think the fog's too awful.  It adds a little risk when sailing if you're trying to avoid SOTD, and shallow coastlines with rocks, but fog should roll in, it doesn't just appear in a flash out of nowhere.

I was hoping the tarot skill line would have weather prediction or even some weather control in it.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1

And while you are at it.. get rid of the no wind events or reduce the amount of times we get it. That one is even worse. 

• Like 1

Yeah, the fog is way over blown. 

I think Atlas has far too much bad weather in general. I live in the area the pirates sailed and it's bright and sunny 98% of the time, with a daily rain shower during a few month period.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

I think Atlas has far too much bad weather in general. I live in the area the pirates sailed and it's bright and sunny 98% of the time, with a daily rain shower during a few month period.

Atlas is not based on Earth pirates. It is not from the 1700s.

I think the giraffe should be able to see over the fog layer  😉

That way, all prepared ships  will have at least one giraffe on deck.

When people say "OMG, You're havin' a Giraffe...", you could reply "hell yeah, ain't nobody pullin' the fog over my eyes!"....

OK OK I confess.  Too much coffee today.  Forgive me!

• Like 2

When in RL a person can land a plane in a foggy snowstorm without sight... So why do u have problems to handle some pixels? Just open the map and sail on. With a buddy up on a sail u see a little bit more. 

• Like 1

The weather itself is fine actually.

Bad thing about weather in PvE - it's not affecting the "E" totally. All whales, ghost ships - they see through the fog, they run full speed counterwind, they don't care about wind changes in storm, they enter funnels. They don't die in heatwaves. They don't freeze to death.

Right now it's not about weather adds you more difficulty, but it's about weather give ghost ship an advantage. You cannot fight during the fog, during the storm, during the RAIN WHEN -30'С in arctic. While they can - as it's nothing happening around.

You sail through the fog. Suddenly you see cursed cannonballs shooting you. How fair is that?

And yeah, one more thing. The lighthouse. Right now it's just useless monstrous cosmetic feature. While it would shine through the fog during the night (you know in real life in aviation - runway lights during the night can increase visibility from 200 up to 800).

22 minutes ago, Forb Hidden said:

When in RL a person can land a plane in a foggy snowstorm without sight... So why do u have problems to handle some pixels? Just open the map and sail on. With a buddy up on a sail u see a little bit more. 

Well, I am a pirate IRL and fog is just something that we have to deal with - let that barque slip away in the fog and you'll have the devil to pay with your crew! But when we make port and it's time to relax and enjoy a game, ideally it's not one that randomly blinds you with ill-conceived environmental effects. 

21 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

The area the pirates sailed was much bigger than you think.  They were all over the east coast of NA anyway, with a good number of them in New England and the Canadian maritimes.

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

The area the pirates sailed was much bigger than you think.  They were all over the east coast of NA anyway, with a good number of them in New England and the Canadian maritimes.

Yes, I'm aware. They went all the way to Oak Island to bury that treasure in the money pit. They also had an area of focus.

On 4/24/2019 at 8:08 AM, DilBert said:

Atlas is not based on Earth pirates. It is not from the 1700s.

then why do ships and buildings pretty much look like that ?

that's as much of a lame statement / excuse as "it's EA".

and even if it's based on whatsoever alien world or fantasy island crap then man would have evolved with and won't die from 40-60 degrees (C).

weather mechanics are far too steep and way too unrealistic.

on that matter Atlas is more of a Poop Eater sim than Pirate game.

10 hours ago, George Catcher said:

The weather itself is fine actually.

Bad thing about weather in PvE - it's not affecting the "E" totally. All whales, ghost ships - they see through the fog, they run full speed counterwind, they don't care about wind changes in storm, they enter funnels. They don't die in heatwaves. They don't freeze to death.

Right now it's not about weather adds you more difficulty, but it's about weather give ghost ship an advantage. You cannot fight during the fog, during the storm, during the RAIN WHEN -30'С in arctic. While they can - as it's nothing happening around.

You sail through the fog. Suddenly you see cursed cannonballs shooting you. How fair is that?

And yeah, one more thing. The lighthouse. Right now it's just useless monstrous cosmetic feature. While it would shine through the fog during the night (you know in real life in aviation - runway lights during the night can increase visibility from 200 up to 800).

although i agree with pretty much everything your slightly wrong about the lighthouse. they don't provide guidance when it's foggy but warn about reefs sandbanks or peninsulas protruding into the sea.

light and fog don't work together pretty well. where you have fog (or haze rather) on stage to emphasize a light show too much of it even kills it.

going through the fog with your bright headlights on let's you drive into a wall of light. the more dim the lights are in a situation like that the better. although i won't advice to turn them off completely.

at some point you might get aware of a bright glare in the fog and it might point you into the desired direction but there's chances that you hit whatever the lighthouse is suppossed to warn you about.

15 hours ago, George Catcher said:

Sounds perfectly fair, and perhaps even a bit exciting. Adapt and overcome.

• Like 1