Sign in to follow this  
Ameesa

Hand Harvesting Skills now affect tool usage as well.

Hand Harvesting Skills now affect tool usage as well.

Do you mean only plants/fibres or also mining (Metal/Stones)? 

Kind regards

Everything you harvest with tools, so that includes stone, metals etc.

I tested it out already and definitely see a very welcomed increase. 👍

Not sure about corpse harvesting though, haven't tested that.

Edited by [GP] Guybrush Threepwood
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Ameesa said:

Do you mean only plants/fibres or also mining (Metal/Stones)? 

Kind regards

It also means wood, stone and metal.

It seems that the hand harvest bonus is no longer applied after player death/respawn.

Can someone please check and confirm ?

7 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Everything you harvest with tools, so that includes stone, metals etc.

I tested it out already and definitely see a very welcomed increase. 👍

Not sure about corpse harvesting though, haven't tested that.

Actually it has always effected these things....

if you do a Forum search you will notice many threads that say something along the lines of "Hand Harvesting Affects tools like its a revelation"

Here is just one example...

Edited by Sulfurblade
  • Haha 1

Just now, Sulfurblade said:

Actually it has always effected these things....

It was meant to, but it wasn't working. Now it is. At least for me it never worked. I was getting 86 wood per tree, after getting the 3 skills to increase it to +60% I was still getting 86 wood per tree. Since today's patch i'm getting 120+ per tree.

The only problem is my fine pickaxe now doesn't seem to get any more resources, due to being at 120% damage.

I now get pretty much the same iron from rock as I do with a normal pick.  Trees wood is increased, fiber same.  Both of the latter I always used basic tool for tho.

On 4/24/2019 at 10:04 AM, Martyn said:

The only problem is my fine pickaxe now doesn't seem to get any more resources, due to being at 120% damage.

I now get pretty much the same iron from rock as I do with a normal pick.  Trees wood is increased, fiber same.  Both of the latter I always used basic tool for tho.

Not sure I understand?

Are you saying that bonuses from hand harvesting override the bonuses from improved tools? It seems like they should stack - either additively or multiplicatively.

5 minutes ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Not sure I understand?

Are you saying that bonuses from hand harvesting override the bonuses from improved tools? It seems like they should stack - either additively or multiplicatively.

tbh i'm not really sure.  Pre patch i was getting 250 iron from a iron node, now i get 150-300.  I've  also upgraded my pick from 120% to 129.8% but still get same amounts.  So I don't think the tool quality is being stacked on the normal tool amount as I'm still getting roughly the same amounts.

I also use harveting 2

Edited by Martyn

a node has a fixed amount before you harvest it. the buffs only affect the per "tick" of harvesting, it does not increase the total. 

1 hour ago, DilBert said:

a node has a fixed amount before you harvest it. the buffs only affect the per "tick" of harvesting, it does not increase the total. 

So purely an accelerator? I might have to test this with one of my company mates who has the skill fully upgraded. If that's all it does, I have much better uses for the skillpoints.

That isn't how tame harvesting works does it? I could swear that I used to get dramatically more fiber (and berries) out of a field when using a Bear than I would have if I harvested a similar sized field by hand.

7 hours ago, DilBert said:

Nah that can't be right.. my rhino gets on avg 150 per node, i get on avg 250... so the node cannot be pre ordained.  There must be some kind of bonus using harvesting skills or upgrade points.  Otherwise it'd be pointless.. pun intended.. to even have them skill/upgrade based.

Tested the hand harvesting with tools between myself with no upgrades, and a mate with full upgrade. It only made him harvest faster, no difference in yield that we could tell, and certainly not the +100% that the skill description would seem to suggest.

Certainly more worthwhile than it was when it didn't work with tools, and I did actually get the first level for 1 point, but not worth it to me to spend any more.

7 minutes ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

Tested the hand harvesting with tools between myself with no upgrades, and a mate with full upgrade. It only made him harvest faster, no difference in yield that we could tell, and certainly not the +100% that the skill description would seem to suggest.

Certainly more worthwhile than it was when it didn't work with tools, and I did actually get the first level for 1 point, but not worth it to me to spend any more.

It is only a max of 60% not 100%. The values it shows on the skill tree is a cumulative amount. I certainly notice an increase in yield since this fix.

I think the terms we are using are too loaded. I should be more explicit.

In my tests, "yield" per chop (of a hatchet, for example) is clearly higher when you have the fully upgraded skill, but the number of chops to fully deplete a tree is correspondingly lower, so the total yield from a tree, or bush, or rock does not appear to be improved by the upgraded skill. It just makes harvesting each source faster.

It's the same as using a journeymen pick vs a common. It only harvests a node quicker, not more per node. The benefit is time and saving on repairs.

As far as the rhino comment, it has always been better to farm metal with a pick, over the rhino for that exact reason, you harvest more per node. 

Edited by 8ball

23 minutes ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

I think the terms we are using are too loaded. I should be more explicit.

In my tests, "yield" per chop (of a hatchet, for example) is clearly higher when you have the fully upgraded skill, but the number of chops to fully deplete a tree is correspondingly lower, so the total yield from a tree, or bush, or rock does not appear to be improved by the upgraded skill. It just makes harvesting each source faster.

It works like ark.

Harvestables have a certain HP, or gatherable amount.

You take more, or damage it more, with higher yields (more str, more harvesting prof, higher quality tools).

Generally, you get a bit more out of a tree with high  harvesting then low, and deplete it faster (you get about 120 with a hatchet and 200 with an upgraded hatchet and 400 with an elephant, for instance).

So it's better, but more for gather per second then gather per tree.

It's rare you'll be low on items and high on time, in comparison to the alternative.

On 4/27/2019 at 1:56 AM, Sleepinator2000 said:

So purely an accelerator? I might have to test this with one of my company mates who has the skill fully upgraded. If that's all it does, I have much better uses for the skillpoints.

That isn't how tame harvesting works does it? I could swear that I used to get dramatically more fiber (and berries) out of a field when using a Bear than I would have if I harvested a similar sized field by hand.

Yes the skills are accelerators. So with +60% hand harvesting you'll cut down trees quickly resulting in less durability loss.

But tames not only harvest it quickwr but overall resource gathered are also more.

Eg. I get ~90 wood from a tree with +60% harvesting skill and 160% Hatchet, but with an elephant, I get around 180-200 wood per tree. And the wood it gathers per hit depends upon melee damage. You can use Natures Cry to harvest quicker.

I can only deny this:

The harvesting increases the total yield, meaning the ressources you get in comaprison to the node HP you destroyed.

Let's say a tree has 100 node-hp and a ressource value of 100 wood:

Attacking it with a normal hatchet does 25 damage and yields you 25 wood per hit, until the 100 hp are gone -> 100 wood with 4 hits

Attacking it with a 200% hatchet does 50 damage and yields you 50 wood per hit, until the 100 hp are gone -> 100 wood in 2 hits

Attacking it with the hand harvesting skill for +60% and a normal hatchet does 25 damage and yields you 40 (25*1.6) wood per hit, until the 100 hp are gone -> 160 wood with 4 hits

Attacking it with the hand harvesting skill for +60% and a 200% hatchet does 50 damage and yields you 80 (50*1.6) wood per hit, until the 100 hp are gone -> 160 wood in 2 hits.

We're farming metal with pickaxes and whilst some have the skill only on level 2 (+40%) and others have it on level 3 (+60%) we noticed the difference rather easily, as we farmed a total of 20 metal nodes each and stored it into separate chests for reference.
The nodes were all freshly respawned and untouched, the tools of equal quality (136% pickaxe and 132% pickaxe) whilst in the end we got approximately 10% more metal with the level 3 buff (which should be 12.5% in a perfect world without RNG).

This also confirms my explanation as for how the values for harvesting and damage scale, as well as others have explained it here before me.

11 hours ago, Vegetto said:

Yes the skills are accelerators. So with +60% hand harvesting you'll cut down trees quickly resulting in less durability loss.

But tames not only harvest it quickwr but overall resource gathered are also more.

Eg. I get ~90 wood from a tree with +60% harvesting skill and 160% Hatchet, but with an elephant, I get around 180-200 wood per tree. And the wood it gathers per hit depends upon melee damage. You can use Natures Cry to harvest quicker.

Not true for all animals. Rinos gather less total then picks do, but FAR faster. So on those rare chances where you're on an island with 1 metal node that occasionally spawns, you might want to use a pick rather then a rino. For everything else, the animal is better (giraffers were about equal unless they boosted them, thatch groun bears still beat them)

33 minutes ago, gadefence said:

Not true for all animals. Rinos gather less total then picks do, but FAR faster. So on those rare chances where you're on an island with 1 metal node that occasionally spawns, you might want to use a pick rather then a rino. For everything else, the animal is better (giraffers were about equal unless they boosted them, thatch groun bears still beat them)

You know that rhinos are stone tames not metal or flint so they won't harvest more metal than picks.

Edited by Vegetto

20 minutes ago, Vegetto said:

You know that rhinos are stone tames not metal or flint so they won't harvest more metal than picks.

That I remember, they harvest stone, flint, metal, salt, oil, gems, crystals at about 80% efficiency of a pick or hatchet.

On 4/30/2019 at 4:52 AM, Virdana said:

Attacking it with the hand harvesting skill for +60% and a normal hatchet does 25 damage and yields you 40 (25*1.6) wood per hit, until the 100 hp are gone -> 160 wood with 4 hits

I did my testing with regular hatchets between someone with no skill, and someone with the full upgrade. After 20 of the same type of tree each. We saw about 5% difference in total yield (the person with no skill got 5% more, which we assumed was just expected statistical error for the sample size).

We did no testing on blueprint tools, and perhaps hatchets and picks work differently, but my testing seems to contradict your mathematical conclusions that the skill increases yield. It also seems that the bulk of posters here are drawing the same conclusion.