Ryoden

Server hosting limitations and requirements?

I am very unfamiliar with the process of hosting a server beyond the most basic understanding of how it's supposed to work.

However, I have recently been given several PCs. I know that I could set them up to run a server but I did not know what the limitations on that would be. 

Like would I need a single PC per server? Does it have something to do with the number of cores that each PCS processor has? It seems doubtful but could I have a single PC host the entire 15 by 15 map?

Before I start watching YouTube videos on how to set up my PC and router as a server I figured it would make sense to ask about this specific game on this form. Thanks.

10 hours ago, Ryoden said:

I am very unfamiliar with the process of hosting a server beyond the most basic understanding of how it's supposed to work.

However, I have recently been given several PCs. I know that I could set them up to run a server but I did not know what the limitations on that would be. 

Like would I need a single PC per server? Does it have something to do with the number of cores that each PCS processor has? It seems doubtful but could I have a single PC host the entire 15 by 15 map?

Before I start watching YouTube videos on how to set up my PC and router as a server I figured it would make sense to ask about this specific game on this form. Thanks.

You can indeed utilize multiple PC's to setup a cluster, as a real basic starting point i'd consider the following:

• Allow up up to 5GB of memory per grid (assuming you have no more than 6 islands)
  • Allow 1 Physical CPU core per grid minimum. This can potentially be streched if you have newer processors and drop the server tick rate.
  • As for the server setup, you would install ATLAS on each physical box and then choose one to run the Redis DB and point the others too it. 
  • Plan your ports, e.g - Game: 11000 Query: 12000 Seemless: 13000 RCON: 14000 then increase each number by 5 as you work your way though your servers.

As a real world example, I run a 5x5 on a new 16 core CPU with 128GB of memory. At idle CPU usage is around 30-40% and memory around 98GB. These figures do increase as players jump on so you need to allow for extra headroom.

As for hosting a 15x15 on a single grid - It would be possible, but you would need some considerable hardware. Something like a quad socket server housing the soon to be released 64 core AMD EPYC chips and over 1TB of memory. So nothing viable 😛

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much for the guidance.  It really helps to get perspective on how this could end up working.