Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

The Galleon...

What's favourite setup for these?

I had Weight, Sp, Sp, Sp, Handling and it turned so slowly I could make a single pass at sotd and then i had to sail away, make a huge turning circle, before coming back for another shot.  The cannons/crew take so long to fire at anything you really need them to chase you and turn into them then wait.  Otherwise my crew most over lv 40 now don't shoot them.  Do you need all the artillery upgrades to get them to even shoot decently?

I figure I need to just scrap all my side cannons and just put all rear facing.. which I'll do when the server is running.

But is all handling a better turning speed or is galleon just very poor at turning?  Seems to be almost useless in ship combat.

Edited by Martyn

From my experience, and what the game gives you as info on the blueprints, handling sails are badly misnamed.

What handling sails do is provided acceleration and give you more power at severe angles to the wind. Your speed sails have to be pretty much red before they’ll give you a boost. They also raise/lower and turn faster than the other sails.

Pre-wipe, our galleon had 4 speed sails and 2 handling sails. It still turned like a pig. Our new galleon has 6 speed sails.

What I’ve found helps, is to turn the sails slightly off the wind and partially close them. De-powering the sails does allow you to turn quicker, relatively speaking.

Our galleon is strictly an A to B carrier. It has four rear facing cannons, and with enough time and ammo could sink any Ship of the Damned, but we put a dinghy on it to retrieve the drops, as turning it around took too long. 😝

If we’re fighting Ships of the Damned, it will be with a brig or schooner.

• Like 1

I went with 5 speed, one maneuvering, but placed my deck cannons to converge on a single point to the right, and had four tail chase cannons. If anything survived my first pass, I would just drop sails, close gunports and finish them off in a slow chase. That full broadsides was always worth the price of admission.

in my experience galleons are just garbage for hunting sods. brig being best choice.
The way galleons are designed does not allow for multi stack cannons, aka multi levels of em.

no wind means you are screwed in a very large and slow turning boat. I find 4 handling and 2 speed sails give me that quick take off, and enough power to sail off even in non existent crap wind. i would suggest 6 handling if you plan to stick to using it for sod hunting.

As for turning to fight sods, well..the galleon just isn't built for that kind of high maneuver tactic.
so what i did before was use large cannon and sprinkle them from the lower ramp area in a 'U" to the back and back to the other side, giving me a 180dgree cannon coverage.

that means on initial pass about 20-25 large cannon can hit, thats usually insta kill for anything under lvl 15.assuming its following you thats at least 5 large cannons on the very back and if you do your crazy ass slow turn, thats 20-25large cannons on the other side loaded and ready waiting.

I used this tactic to take out lvl 35 red sods pretty damn fast.

yes..that means i had 0 small cannons and 0 cannons on ports.