Sign in to follow this  
tsavo74

Limited/Capped claim flag test server

How about it? Put up a test server with a claim flag limit with flags working as they used too? say 2 flags per player. No company cap. Company has 100 players, that's 200 claim flags for the company? It would be interesting to see the player figures for a server running like that. I reckon you guys may be surprised how quickly it fills. ( yeah I know the old argument about mega company claims, but it would still be capped to 2 per player maximum. A large company would naturally have more claiming ability). I mean itd only be a test server right? could always be removed? got nowt to lose. 

Just a weird far out idea

😄

Edited by tsavo74
addition

cos maybe they would like to see how it works? fuck it, okay, make it a live server.... EAs all testing anyhow

You have to put a company cap on it, otherwise they'd just just the majority of every island...free travel anywhere on the map, etc.  There's nothing wrong with a company cap really.  When you're sharing boatyards, storage, taming pens, etc, you don't need that much room, and it would encourage them to group their claims together and build bigger, more planned stuff.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

You have to put a company cap on it, otherwise they'd just just the majority of every island...free travel anywhere on the map, etc.  There's nothing wring with a company cap really.  When you're sharing boatyards, storage, taming pens, etc, you don't need that much room, and it would encourage them to group their claims together and build bigger, more planned stuff.

Well that would be the cap? 2 flags per player? Ok so 500 player company has 1000 claims? Takes time to get to 500 players I imagine? Plenty of time for smaller companies to grab the land they want? And if there has to be a company cap ( which im not against btw), surely just be a start to try the system? If popular, changes to caps can be made after? Just be nice to try what a lot of people suggested and wanted all along. Grapeshot got nothing to lose.

Sorry trying to make myself clearer. You find an island and claim 2 spots. Then find super company you want to join. That's cool. But then youd have to chose to move your claims to company territory or stay where you are. No more extra claims. The only issue I see with general company cap is how do you set it? Not being an arse, just wondering where anyone would set the limit? We played as a smallish company before wipe, so cant really judge what a fair level for a company cap is.

Edited by tsavo74
addition

38 minutes ago, tsavo74 said:

How about it? Put up a test server with a claim flag limit with flags working as they used too? say 2 flags per player. No company cap. Company has 100 players, that's 200 claim flags for the company? It would be interesting to see the player figures for a server running like that. I reckon you guys may be surprised how quickly it fills. ( yeah I know the old argument about mega company claims, but it would still be capped to 2 per player maximum. A large company would naturally have more claiming ability). I mean itd only be a test server right? could always be removed? got nowt to lose. 

Just a weird far out idea

😄

not a 2 per player including if in a company should be limite per company , 1-10 player 6 flags 10-25 players 12 flags 25-50 players 20 flags that imo would be perfect amounts 

20 flags can cover a good half of a small island or a very large area on a larger island , pre wipe i had 14 flags the area they covered was massive , more than i needed but i did get the tax as they covered the metal nodes 

Edited by UDO

2 minutes ago, UDO said:

not a 2 per player including if in a company should be limite per company , 1-10 player 6 flags 10-25 players 12 flags 25-50 players 20 flags that imo would be perfect amounts 

20 flags can cover a good half of a small island or a very large area on a larger island 

But what happens if, say, 10 players each set up there claim, then form a company? Claims would be taken away?

Just trying to understand the system

5 minutes ago, tsavo74 said:

But what happens if, say, 10 players each set up there claim, then form a company? Claims would be taken away?

yes or players would just game the system , the limits have to be there to stop what happened before , or tons of players would place flags and just merge , 

if u want to merge u need to decide which flags u remove to allow for succesful merge , flag amount per company woul dneed to be steadily increased from a base amount until the sweet spot is found 

from pre wipe a lot of flags placed were doing nothing but stopping other players building , they were not in any shape or form protecting rare resources ,they were placed because they could be , noone needed the space that even 20 flags would cover myself included i placed on one island at day 2 approx 14 flags the area covered was huge i will try to find a screenshot of the area i had  

thing is i believe the devs wont change this system now , its here to stay which is a shame  

Edited by UDO
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, tsavo74 said:

Since even a single player is technically a company (or can be), if you just set the limits per company rather than per player it covers singles as well as multiples.  If you wanted to do 1 claim per player and 5 claims for a company 5-10 players, then if I'm a company of 1, and I have my claim, and then join with a company of 4, we'd collectively get 5 claims.  One of those could be my old one, or not..we'd have to work out which claims we wanted.

Edited to add -  you'd arrange this...form the company, lose your flags, and reclaim them under the new company name.  It's the same way people worked it before when giving a flag to another person.

Edited by Winter Thorne
  • Like 1

yes but youd only have 2 claims now. One person could not just spam for miles as before. Even a company would be limited to 2 per player. So still an element of spam maybe: If company players would be willing to use their 2 claims just to fill space. I see what you mean, but a hard limit of 2 would be very different from how it was. You wouldent be able to stick your 14 down as you once did. You would need another 6 players in company just to do that. Be nice to see the screenshot though

9 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Since even a single player is technically a company (or can be), if you just set the limits per company rather than per player it covers singles as well as multiples.  If you wanted to do 1 claim per player and 5 claims for a company 5-10 players, then if I'm a company of 1, and I have my claim, and then join with a company of 4, we'd collectively get 5 claims.  One of those could be my old one, or not..we'd have to work out which claims we wanted.

Edited to add -  you'd arrange this...form the company, lose your flags, and reclaim them under the new company name.  It's the same way people worked it before when giving a flag to another person.

Ok thank you I see the point. But what happens to player number 6 joining the company? Does he not get a claim entitlement? And I assume this would happen to company players 7, 8, 9 and 10, before you get to the next company claim tier? The only problem I see there is that it will kinda put people off joining companies? which is very similar to the current claim system: cant have a claim but can live under someone elses?

Edited by tsavo74
addition

18 minutes ago, tsavo74 said:

Ok thank you I see the point. But what happens to player number 6 joining the company? Does he not get a claim entitlement? And I assume this would happen to company players 7, 8, 9 and 10, before you get to the next company claim tier? The only problem I see there is that it will kinda put people off joining companies? which is very similar to the current claim system: cant have a claim but can live under someone elses?

It would basically work the same way.  When you join a company, you lose your personal claims anyway.  Even if a company of 10 gets 10 flags (assuming 1 flag per person), that's not YOUR flag anymore, it's the companies.    When you join a company, if the company wants the piece of land you currently have, they arrange it to take that flag, and drop another.  Either way, you lose your personal flag when you join a company.  (And you get it back if you leave the company), so it's not a big change for someone.  

kinda what I was saying but with 2 claims per player apart from having the choice to move your claim to company territory or not. See what youre getting at

But all this aside.... wouldent it be good to try a server with a cap per player ( and per company if required) to see how it would play out? Id like to see it. The only real big issue I had with previous system was that players could just spam the claims, company or not. In theory it wasn't any different to foundation spam in lawless I guess

I think a sliding scale would be better. 1 flag per person for the first 5 prople. 1 per 5 to 50(14 flags). 1 per 10 to 100(19 flags) and keep it going to 100 flags for a max company of 500. 100 flags will cover a lot of space.

If you lose members the flags placed last would get a decay timer. Same thing if you merge with a company and would have less flags in total. Can choose to demo other flags you dont want instead before the timer is over or you can recruit more members.

They actually have reserve server networks if we are to believe that they did musical chairs with PTR/live because they was not ready yet....

But before we go back to the claim flags limits idea, lets first solve that nightmare of bugged overlapping claims with a hex grid.  1g per grid.  There certainly would have to be company limits so that companies cannot expand their empire just by becoming a zerg, more like colonies in that the total islands they can hold is restricted.  Yes that means you do not add to the collective holdings if you join them you have to give up your lands.

Edited by krazmuze