Vegetto

Blueprints from SOTD

Hey @Jatheish what up with sotd drops? Barely get anything except diving attachment and ship resource box. Always got at least one of them from every sotd we destroyed. Even the very high level galleons are dropping useless stuff, haven't got any large sail above fine quality and only got fine plank bps.

So anyone experiencing the same or I'm the only unlucky person here?

We haven’t gone Ship of the Damned hunting specifically, just ones we’ve incidentally encountered. 

We’ve mostly gotten fine and under blueprints, but we have gotten masterwork medium gunport and legendary medium plank blueprints, and I think masterwork ballista and large cannon blueprints.

So better blueprints do exist, but they are rarer drops.

1 hour ago, Salty Del said:

We haven’t gone Ship of the Damned hunting specifically, just ones we’ve incidentally encountered. 

We’ve mostly gotten fine and under blueprints, but we have gotten masterwork medium gunport and legendary medium plank blueprints, and I think masterwork ballista and large cannon blueprints.

So better blueprints do exist, but they are rarer drops.

You might not be too happy doing it by yourself, if 4 ships you have to kite them away from each other, sink a couple then move back in so you dont lose the loot. If doing it with multi ships, or multi crew it might be easier to jump into the water grab the loot and circle back for that person. The loot disappears, hard to see, and looks the same as crates in the water. The crew disappears pretty much right away and you see a bag in the water.

Its not all that easy to fight the sotd and fight for getting the loot at the same time. Why i suggested the devs to make a shipwreck highlighted or something and give you time to get back to loot the items. You worked for it, so you deserve it. Currently if 2 red lvl 60's and mix of others, i have to have 16 or more large standard 100% cannons, drop the first then the 2nd sotd from behind, circle back as fast as possible and hope i can grab the loot before getting out of range of the cycle timer.

You will see what i mean, and yes its frustrating as hell now.

2 guys or more on a ship or multi ships and work together.

Basically Risk vs Reward in favor of RISK and no to little rewards. Yes a nice mythical drop is great but the risk is really out weighing the rewards. Few things i can also say about the other areas too but the SOTD are a pain in the ass.

Edited by Sneakydude

24 minutes ago, Sneakydude said:

Basically Risk vs Reward in favor of RISK and no to little rewards. Yes a nice mythical drop is great but the risk is really out weighing the rewards. Few things i can also say about the other areas too but the SOTD are a pain in the ass.

I agree,  I dislike the pack of SoTDs.  I do really like the different sizes we have now.  would like to see them go back to single spawns and not the pack spawn.

41 minutes ago, TyGeR_STD said:

I agree,  I dislike the pack of SoTDs.  I do really like the different sizes we have now.  would like to see them go back to single spawns and not the pack spawn.

Pack is fun to fight but not fun if you use rear cannons strategy. We use armoured brig with broadside and can takedown pack of 5 without losing a plank. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vegetto said:

Pack is fun to fight but not fun if you use rear cannons strategy. We use armoured brig with broadside and can takedown pack of 5 without losing a plank. 

When you say we? does that mean your running 2 or more on a ship? solo is a tad rough for the normal ships. Especially when you have 2 or so 30's firing from all angles. Otherwise a good kite system, take 2 out loot go back for the other two is ok too.

Might be Old School but using a galleon Without Armor And broadside works Fine for me atm. Still Need to kill some abhöbe Level 30. but encountert 3 galleons 2x 30 And 1 Level 20 at the Same Time. Lost 1 gunport but it was a awesome fight. But i agree they should Either add more ship Level or have them spawn alone And in Packs 

• Like 1

The only dificult part of packs is looting all the boxes, the rest is stupidly easy. Among other things i'm solo leveling a schooner with 10 medium cannons, no bps and all of them in a gunport, so no rear cannons, and only had problems twice that a galley volley destroyed one of my planks.

I get too much loot.. guess I'm lucky.. I get maybe 5 bps and 2-3 musical notes every drop plus maybe 30g upto around 150 g off the lv 30+ ships.  Galleons seem to drop very slightly better loot, I've got bps for masterwork, legendary for cannons, heavy cannons, all the guns, all planks all decks for all 3 ship sizes.. even the basic bps are often better than default, they are random as well, some you pay more resources for, some less.  So you can make a better item with less resources, what is worse tho, is often you can get a basic bp cannon for example that is 133% more damage but then get a masterwork which requires 4 resources and it's 110% more damage and like maybe 10% more durability.. it really isn't worth it.

The main problem is upkeep, the wages for sailors, all the food you need to cook, which mostly rots away before anyone eats it, if we were running fully crewed ships even unseated in docks, plus a settlement.. you'd need people continually doing treasure hunts, sotd hunts and killing whales 24/7 just to keep the money flowing.  It's total and complete grind for zero enjoyment.

I spend 2-3 ingame days repairing, replacing cannon balls, repair resources, spare planks.. to then go out for a few hours to shoot some ships, to then return to rince repeat. Sure I'm slowly gaining gold, but I can only be in one place at a time.

Loot gold needs to be increased.  Or we need more skill points or something, because it's either you grind out ships, buy a reskill token for what 400g then reskill, then go out with the right skill point setup.. or you try to do both and utterly fail. Which is where I am now as I can't build spare planks etc without having the skills.. so I can't repair myship.. and so on.

I think the game design at it's core is a great idea, but the implimentation is shockingly poor.  Very little fun for the grind, if anything, the grind is actually about the only fun you'll ever get, that doesn't cost very much.  A dozen meat or berries, depending what you're riding.

To get anywhere with the game as it stands and yes it's ea etc.  You need to unclaim your crew every day to stop them using your resources, build up massive amounts of repair resources, gold etc then hire a new crew, then you can have some fun for a few hours before returning and rince repeat.  I'm beginning to question if it's really worth the effort.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Martyn said:

I get too much loot.. guess I'm lucky.. I get maybe 5 bps and 2-3 musical notes every drop plus maybe 30g upto around 150 g off the lv 30+ ships.  Galleons seem to drop very slightly better loot, I've got bps for masterwork, legendary for cannons, heavy cannons, all the guns, all planks all decks for all 3 ship sizes.. even the basic bps are often better than default, they are random as well, some you pay more resources for, some less.  So you can make a better item with less resources, what is worse tho, is often you can get a basic bp cannon for example that is 133% more damage but then get a masterwork which requires 4 resources and it's 110% more damage and like maybe 10% more durability.. it really isn't worth it.

The main problem is upkeep, the wages for sailors, all the food you need to cook, which mostly rots away before anyone eats it, if we were running fully crewed ships even unseated in docks, plus a settlement.. you'd need people continually doing treasure hunts, sotd hunts and killing whales 24/7 just to keep the money flowing.  It's total and complete grind for zero enjoyment.

I spend 2-3 ingame days repairing, replacing cannon balls, repair resources, spare planks.. to then go out for a few hours to shoot some ships, to then return to rince repeat. Sure I'm slowly gaining gold, but I can only be in one place at a time.

Loot gold needs to be increased.  Or we need more skill points or something, because it's either you grind out ships, buy a reskill token for what 400g then reskill, then go out with the right skill point setup.. or you try to do both and utterly fail. Which is where I am now as I can't build spare planks etc without having the skills.. so I can't repair myship.. and so on.

I think the game design at it's core is a great idea, but the implimentation is shockingly poor.  Very little fun for the grind, if anything, the grind is actually about the only fun you'll ever get, that doesn't cost very much.  A dozen meat or berries, depending what you're riding.

To get anywhere with the game as it stands and yes it's ea etc.  You need to unclaim your crew every day to stop them using your resources, build up massive amounts of repair resources, gold etc then hire a new crew, then you can have some fun for a few hours before returning and rince repeat.  I'm beginning to question if it's really worth the effort.

Are you in a company?  I'm in a smaller company and we don't have those issues, We have plenty of gold, we own an island. I think for the game to work you have to be in a company or its just to much work.

Edited by ButtPirate

Plant a few crop plots, once done you dont need the skill, and feed your pets and crew vegetables, large food amount and long spoil timer.

Elephant, giraffe, bear & rhino, 1 run of each should keep you in repair materials for weeks.

Then the only upkeep is gold.

Use whats in the game to make your upkeeping quick and simple, leaves more time for sailing the oceans and having fun.

54 minutes ago, Martyn said:

There is a reason for companies m8. You can't do everything solo.

Edited by Willard

Erm... the new SotDs are still easy and doable in solo. And you don't lose your loot with a properly set up grey brig. If you cannot wipe a pack regardless of the level and get your loot - you are doing it wrong.

We put a dinghy on our galleon so that one of us can get the drop quicker that way than taking the time to turn around and head back.

I think we’ll do the same thing with our planned brig, just in case we need to.

I keep losing loot because 45 tornadoes are around me and I am dodging them and 6 SoTD.  If I get calmer seas I can sink all of them without being hit a single time......hard part is killing them all before the first drop despawns into a brief case.  I really wish they would stop doing that.  Flotsam turns into a briefcase with another timer.  Why?  Why not just have the flotsam timer equal to both timers?  What is the reasoning behind not doing it this way?  Why have it despawn at all?  People pickup random flotsam all the time.  Why not get get lucky and find a SoTD flotsam that someone missed? Its not like the  servers are going to be littered with flotsam.  Humans will clean it up. 

We are having trouble getting good BP's because we sail around for hours on end and might only see a couple groups of SoTD.  I sailed the night before for 2.5 hours straight without seeing a single one.  Quite annoying. 

Edited by DocHolliday

Yeh company helps out, most are off taming or whaling etc ie having their own fun.  I don't expect people to help me, I only recruit people to have someone to talk to really.  The only real issue I have atm is getting resources to my ship, can teleport a full elephant etc.. then handball it from there.  But it's still annoying, as for gold, just killed 5-6 packs of greens with a few lv 20 or so mixed in, got about 200 gold.. which i get from 1-2 maps.  Used about 550 shots.  2 planks and a few k in wood etc.  For 200g..

And a shedload of bps.  Most of which I'll throw away.  Unless we start seeing cannons with 200% damage etc I'm not gathering 4 different types of resources for something I can make with 1 tho.  Loot needs to be better.

Edited by Martyn

On 4/23/2019 at 11:24 AM, Vegetto said:

Hey @Jatheish what up with sotd drops? Barely get anything except diving attachment and ship resource box. Always got at least one of them from every sotd we destroyed. Even the very high level galleons are dropping useless stuff, haven't got any large sail above fine quality and only got fine plank bps.

So anyone experiencing the same or I'm the only unlucky person here?

Yes, we are finding that the SotD, and the Flotsam, and Shipwrecks are giving mostly garbage BPs.  Only rarely is is something we want.  First of all, stop with the damn thatch BPs.  Nobody wants those, except maybe on PvE.  Who the hell is going to waste resources on a thatch BP?  Maybe a fool.  There are so many things that are BPs, that are useless.  Stone picks and hatchets?  No.  Why even have them?  It takes so long to get anything useful.  Just one more thing that hurts the small companies, as we don't have people out there doing these things all day long.

• Like 1

Yeh thatch is mostly used for decoration or temp housing.  Or for spam. And since you can't use bp's without the skill, many of them are useless.  Esp structure basic bps, but I guess they've just duplicated the entire items database into the loot tables.

Sotd depends on level of ship, type of ship.

Flotsam seems to be spawned by the player, but i've found much better flotsam in 1-4 then in say 5-7 regions, also it's better generally in settlement regions. 

Ship wrecks I've only started doing, most of them avg around 6.1 down to 4.1 which is about 80g to 40g respectively.  Again maybe there's better in golden regions or tundra etc.

We killed hydra tonight, got nothing from it but crystal for powerstone.. i died leaving cave so lost all the boost. 😞 Fell off the edge of the walkway.. due to the sudden fps drop from all the spawning critters.

The rest of the bps are entirely random, often a fine cannon is better than a mastercraft.

I love the new sotd but i honestly do hate the fact i have to kill anywhere up tp 5 of them before i can generally loot the boxes and by them sometimes they decay into bags ehich makes em harder to see, i would love it if a crow or sometjing could collect stuff from em or if an NPC cpuld throw a grappling hook to it for you.  

27 minutes ago, bluelance said:

I love the new sotd but i honestly do hate the fact i have to kill anywhere up tp 5 of them before i can generally loot the boxes and by them sometimes they decay into bags ehich makes em harder to see, i would love it if a crow or sometjing could collect stuff from em or if an NPC cpuld throw a grappling hook to it for you.  

We have talked about this.  Just one more way the game is good for large companies, and not so much for small companies.  We talked about the need to have a second ship with 2 people on it that hangs just a little away from the fight, and how the best plan would be for the ship that kills the SotD to be heavy on rear cannons, and kite the SotD away from a kill, so that the second ship can swoop in and gather up the loot, and NPCs if you want them.  We also noted that if you are after as many crew as you can get, you either need to put a lot of points into crew for a schooner, or go with a stripped down Brig to collect them.

But nobody logged in today.  We had two crew mutiny, and we are going to lose the island.  Can't keep up with the gold costs.  Takes way too long to get anything down.  Traveled through over 20 Tundra and Polar regions to find whales but didn't see a single spout.  Maps give too little gold and are often in hard to reach areas.  Flotsam and wrecks give too little gold.  No way we can keep this up, so I think this is the end.  I am going to update my Star Citizen game to 3.5 and go play that for now.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

5 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

We have talked about this.  Just one more way the game is good for large companies, and not so much for small companies.  We talked about the need to have a second ship with 2 people on it that hangs just a little away from the fight, and how the best plan would be for the ship that kills the SotD to be heavy on rear cannons, and kite the SotD away from a kill, so that the second ship can swoop in and gather up the loot, and NPCs if you want them.  We also noted that if you are after as many crew as you can get, you either need to put a lot of points into crew for a schooner, or go with a stripped down Brig to collect them.

But nobody logged in today.  We had two crew mutiny, and we are going to lose the island.  Can't keep up with the gold costs.  Takes way too long to get anything down.  Traveled through over 20 Tundra and Polar regions to find whales but didn't see a single spout.  Maps give too little gold and are often in hard to reach areas.  Flotsam and wrecks give too little gold.  No way we can keep this up, so I think this is the end.  I am going to update my Star Citizen game to 3.5 and go play that for now.

Or you can just stop insisting on owning your own island, become a settler and enjoy the game 😉

• Like 1