Sign in to follow this  
Luxfere

Add fog of war back to the game

On 4/23/2019 at 9:57 AM, Luxfere said:

Why was this removed? Take out the exploration effect and also discoveries its hard to find anything when everything is uncovered it makes no fking sense  

They deleted it because of the insane amounts of lag it added to the game. They probably won't add it back due to the same.

4 hours ago, gadefence said:

They deleted it because of the insane amounts of lag it added to the game. They probably won't add it back due to the same.

not even close to the real reason .... 

fog of war would in fact would reduce the  lag as there would be nothing to display until u reveal it ,

also source or dont spread false rumors ....

Edited by UDO

Again this is what you get and will always keep. One group wants to get rid of it, now it’s gone and another group wants it back. 

4 hours ago, UDO said:

not even close to the real reason .... 

fog of war would in fact would reduce the  lag as there would be nothing to display until u reveal it ,

also source or dont spread false rumors ....

I don't get your point.

Drawing the entire map required they draw the map.

Adding fog of war requires they draw fog of war over it.

In game, the M map used to lag massively, like your frame rate would drop to 1/2 to 1/4 or what it normally is. This stopped when they removed the fog of war, which had a weird 3d overlay in game it lacked in the atlas menu.

You're picking a weird hill to stake a claim on.

1 minute ago, gadefence said:

I don't get your point.

In game, the M map used to lag massively, like your frame rate would drop to 1/2 to 1/4 or what it normally is. This stopped when they removed the fog of war, which had a weird 3d overlay in game it lacked in the atlas menu.

The map started lagging after a week. First week with the most fog of war there was, there wasn’t any lag. So I don’t think that’s an argument you’re having there. 

On 4/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

This is NOT an exploration game.  You have the Wikis and other player made things that tell you where everything is.  For it to be an exploration game, you would need procedurally generated resource nodes, that would spawn in different locations...not the same location, over and over.  And, there would need to be procedurally generated loot that you could just happen across, similar to the ship wrecks at sea.

If thats the case why bother playing at all than go read a wiki 

On 4/27/2019 at 7:37 AM, gadefence said:

I don't get your point.

What lag buy a better machine

I don't remember anyone ever complaining about fog of war being there.  Everyone I talk to in PvP or PvE liked it better before.  I assumed they took it out when they wanted to make the whole map accessible for logging in the first few days after the wipe, so you could pick a grid and island on which to start without clogging up freeports, and then they just never turned it back on.  The client is still recording it, as I have glimpsed a few times after dying, on the map to relog it had a brief moment of just how it used to be before the wipe, and it correctly showed where I had actually travelled, then it went back to all visible.  I don't know where someone got the idea it was taken out for lag.

Devs, we all miss the fog of war!  Please turn it back on!

I don't mind it, but I hated how little was exposed by your travels.  I like a clean map, and I don't want to have to zig zag back and forth to clean it up.  If I can see an island in the game, it should be made visible on the map.  Let the Discoveries handle the close in aspect.  Allow an icon to show that you have not yet made landfall on the island.

On 4/23/2019 at 3:13 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

This is NOT an exploration game.  You have the Wikis and other player made things that tell you where everything is.  For it to be an exploration game, you would need procedurally generated resource nodes, that would spawn in different locations...not the same location, over and over.  And, there would need to be procedurally generated loot that you could just happen across, similar to the ship wrecks at sea.

It is in the fact all the old sites info on resources are now wrong. I know I am one of the people who wrote a spreadsheet marking all the resource spawns on over half the world before the wipe.

Exploration is part of the game so your whole statement is bullshit. on top of that the map changed new island and resources are all mixed up again. 

Finding the islands you have explored are now broken as well so its worse finding out what you did or didnt do 

Edited by Luxfere

1 hour ago, Luxfere said:

It is in the fact all the old sites info on resources are now wrong. I know I am one of the people who wrote a spreadsheet marking all the resource spawns on over half the world before the wipe.

Exploration is part of the game so your whole statement is bullshit. on top of that the map changed new island and resources are all mixed up again. 

Finding the islands you have explored are now broken as well so its worse finding out what you did or didnt do 

Bull shit?  LOL  Your emotional response is bull shit.  My statement was fact.  The game COULD be about exploration, but it isn't.  Like it or not, that's a fact.

im 55 and capped getting discoveries is more painful than ever before, i said bullshit to your none exploration response. with all the masterwork legendary recipes there is a sort of exploration to make better gear etc and your wrong. Get over yourself Mass effect kiddie

Edited by Luxfere

On 5/2/2019 at 7:07 PM, Luxfere said:

the islands are the same grids are exactly as they were before the wipe only difference is they are in slightly different positions to accommodate the new islands, the resources are still the same m using a custom map i made with resources marked and i'm still going to the islands and getting exactly what i did before , stop spouting falsehoods

• Thanks 1

No they have changed i have gone back to L10 and example It used to be fiber = Straw its now Silk. 

Other items are pretty close the same, but in many areas the items have changed quite a bit 

On 5/9/2019 at 9:24 PM, Luxfere said:

No they have changed i have gone back to L10 and example It used to be fiber = Straw its now Silk. 

Other items are pretty close the same, but in many areas the items have changed quite a bit 

so far nothing has changed from the map i made with resources marked they are all exactly the same 

anyway back on topic , any news on if the fog of war is coming back , as the lack of ways to determine where i have landed and having to mark on a custom map os tedious

I would appreciate an icon, at the least, for islands I have not landed on, and thus not discovered.  I would also like an option to clear a grid, if I have acquired all of the discovery points.  I don't think this should be forced on people, as this is simply a matter of preference.  Some people like to see exactly where they have sailed, and where they have not.  I like a clean map.

A suggestion might be to make the fog of war something you can toggle on and off.  This way you can see where you have been, when that is what you want to see, but see a clean map, when that is what you need.

I think, however, that if this causes any kind of performance problem, just having some visual indicator as to which islands you have landed on, and which you have not, would be a good thing.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The_Wiesel said:

this:

image.thumb.png.a7369d217d37d9265309713377d93da4.png

Is there something incoming?

it would be nice but still no fog of war , so not sure what that is actually about .

On 4/23/2019 at 3:57 PM, Luxfere said:

Why was this removed? Take out the exploration effect and also discoveries its hard to find anything when everything is uncovered it makes no fking sense  

that change took away big part of the completionist satisfaction

On 4/23/2019 at 3:58 PM, Bolognapwny said:

They dont want this game to be a challenge... its already to hard for the PVE'ers they are making it for.... 

its actually the oposite, this change was due to pvp'ers being lazy faggots and crying to have it full revealed

I always assume it was removed for performance reasons and they would re-add it down the line.  FoW means the servers have one more thing to track, calculate and store.  It's also more data that needs to be sent to the client and more for the client to deal with.

Most if not all of my company wants it back.  If performance is the reason holding it back then we can wait for it to be fixed before its re-enabled. 

I don't mind loosing the fog of war, although it is really handy for exploration.  If they don't add it back, it would be nice to have a visual distance check marker of some kind for islands I've not been to, on map, besides the ????? you get when you sail next to them or the ? in discoveries.. which is an unnecessary extra click.