Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Simple suggestion to reduce landlord tyranny

So I’ve been thinking about the new claim and tenant system and the reality there is still a lot of apprehension about the fact landlords can destroy anything a tenant has built without warning. I like the idea that tenants increase time between rent payments rather than reducing overall rent. I think this approach will give the system overall more flexibility since there is a floor to how far rent can be reduced (zero), but not one on time delay between rent payments. This means there is always an incentive for a landlord to acquire more tenants.

My suggestion is to add to this system by giving a further bonus for tenant tenure. The longer a particular tenant stays with a particular landlord,  the more he increases that delay between rent payments. This means that tenant and landlord could try each other out in the short term, make sure they get along, and then over time the tenant would have ever greater reassurance his landlord would be unlikely to evict because of what he or she would be giving up. Simply replacing a longtime tenant with a fresh body wouldn’t provide the same benefit to the landlord, giving the tenant ever increasing peace of mind while ultimately leaving the landlord final say over his land.

Thoughts?

It doesn't even work yet. We honestly don't know how well the current implementation is. We have about 12 but shows random numbers, sometimes none.

I love that we focus on aspects that really don't give the game meaningful depth....

Having people build on your land is a security risk... and the game should do everything in its power not to add things like this... Chop the big islands up into territories... one company doesn't need multiple islands.

55 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

So I’ve been thinking about the new claim and tenant system and the reality there is still a lot of apprehension about the fact landlords can destroy anything a tenant has built without warning. I like the idea that tenants increase time between rent payments rather than reducing overall rent. I think this approach will give the system overall more flexibility since there is a floor to how far rent can be reduced (zero), but not one on time delay between rent payments. This means there is always an incentive for a landlord to acquire more tenants.

My suggestion is to add to this system by giving a further bonus for tenant tenure. The longer a particular tenant stays with a particular landlord,  the more he increases that delay between rent payments. This means that tenant and landlord could try each other out in the short term, make sure they get along, and then over time the tenant would have ever greater reassurance his landlord would be unlikely to evict because of what he or she would be giving up. Simply replacing a longtime tenant with a fresh body wouldn’t provide the same benefit to the landlord, giving the tenant ever increasing peace of mind while ultimately leaving the landlord final say over his land.

Thoughts?

Actually a pretty good idea. Kind of like a loyalty bonus.

however, as long as the survival aspect of the game stays I will always favor the build anywhere style. Just fits better with a survival game.

but if they insist on keep things the way they are then yeah hopefully your idea will be implemented 

best way to explain this to a. some one who doest play and b. some one who doesn't understand that the "landlords" r getting the short end of the stick.

we have like 10 to 15 little outpost around on island for farming like honey or tin , so we put a little shack out of they way not intrustive at talk to the owners there fine tax is at 10 percent I tele over to get honey so lets say I get 500 honey they get 50 on the top I then sail over and grab it and leave they the landlord have spent 500 gold for 50 honey how is that even for them? you can set up a home there and never gather ever so they get nothing for you as you sail around and do you thing then come back on night. they how ever have to pay to upkeep island but you get all the protect and none of the work. so stop blubbing about how it bad settling is. also if you raid someone the cant trace you back to wer you leave by your company name being on an island. you get to live as a real pirate. if you think tactical about settling is the way to go  

25 minutes ago, wintericem107 said:

best way to explain this to a. some one who doest play and b. some one who doesn't understand that the "landlords" r getting the short end of the stick.

we have like 10 to 15 little outpost around on island for farming like honey or tin , so we put a little shack out of they way not intrustive at talk to the owners there fine tax is at 10 percent I tele over to get honey so lets say I get 500 honey they get 50 on the top I then sail over and grab it and leave they the landlord have spent 500 gold for 50 honey how is that even for them? you can set up a home there and never gather ever so they get nothing for you as you sail around and do you thing then come back on night. they how ever have to pay to upkeep island but you get all the protect and none of the work. so stop blubbing about how it bad settling is. also if you raid someone the cant trace you back to wer you leave by your company name being on an island. you get to live as a real pirate. if you think tactical about settling is the way to go  

So you're completely overlooking the main feature of the new system, making it obvious you didn't read my OP: tenants now lengthen the time between rent payments being due for the landlord.  In your illustration the landlord isn't getting screwed, because you've overlooked or left out how the tenants presence reduces how often he has to pay rent. So the landlord hasn't spent 500 gold for 50 honey, he has spent 500 gold he was going to spend anyway to own the island, but your presence there not only gets him honey but reduces often he must pay the 500 gold.

Before you criticize others for not understanding a thing, you should probably understand the thing being discussed.

Edited by boomervoncannon

no you don't understand I basic getting the reassures that he/she already has a lot of they live there and he has to front the gold for the island with his name on it while I can raid and pillage with no one knowing were I live by just looking around on the map. my point is I lose nothing and get a lot. you also cant just destroy when ever you want as the landlord unless you want to waste reassures the oldfashion way. My point is that its is not one side were the landlord get easy and the settle have to hard. there is a real balance to it if you look at like pirates and fences. Fences landowners, pirates -settlers BUT everyone thing they are entitled to an island a free galleon and the ability to raid and not be raided 

3 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

Thoughts?

Slaves are not allowed to talk ! You wanted slavery, you received slavery ! Now go on to the cotton field of your master and work harder !

Edited by Talono

1 hour ago, wintericem107 said:

no you don't understand I basic getting the reassures that he/she already has a lot of they live there and he has to front the gold for the island with his name on it while I can raid and pillage with no one knowing were I live by just looking around on the map. my point is I lose nothing and get a lot. you also cant just destroy when ever you want as the landlord unless you want to waste reassures the oldfashion way. My point is that its is not one side were the landlord get easy and the settle have to hard. there is a real balance to it if you look at like pirates and fences. Fences landowners, pirates -settlers BUT everyone thing they are entitled to an island a free galleon and the ability to raid and not be raided 

Okay your point is so disjointedly stated that it’s hard to follow, but this much is clear: while it may be about landlords and tenants, it’s not really about the suggestion I made in the OP, but about other aspects of the system. No one was arguing that landlords have it easy and tenants have it hard, you are arguing against a position no one has taken. What is being discussed is that many players have expressed hesitation about being tenants for the reasons stated. The suggestion is designed to address this legitimate concern. If you wish to discuss other aspects of the system you should feel free to create your own thread to do so, but so far your posts and points here do not seem germaine to the topic.

4 minutes ago, Talono said:

Slaves are not allowed to talk ! You wanted slavery, you received slavery ! Now go on to the cotton field of your master and work harder !

Either increase or decrease the meds. 😝

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, boomervoncannon said:

So you're completely overlooking the main feature of the new system, making it obvious you didn't read my OP: tenants now lengthen the time between rent payments being due for the landlord.  In your illustration the landlord isn't getting screwed, because you've overlooked or left out how the tenants presence reduces how often he has to pay rent. So the landlord hasn't spent 500 gold for 50 honey, he has spent 500 gold he was going to spend anyway to own the island, but your presence there not only gets him honey but reduces often he must pay the 500 gold.

Before you criticize others for not understanding a thing, you should probably understand the thing being discussed.

In actuality...  this Tenant system doesn't work, it may currently work on a few islands at the Moment!  But our island has already had to....  

A) Merge all the small company's into a big company so that our defense's are not killing each other!!!

Why Because the Mega's are already threatening our existence on our islands!  

It would have been great to actually have that land lord tenant relationship but as long as there are Mega company's threatening the owner ship of the islands the Islands must have Active Defenses which means Neutral Tenants wont enjoy living on an island where there over lords cannon's and guns keep shooting at them!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulfurblade said:

In actuality...  this Tenant system doesn't work, it may currently work on a few islands at the Moment!  But our island has already had to....  

A) Merge all the small company's into a big company so that our defense's are not killing each other!!!

Why Because the Mega's are already threatening our existence on our islands!  

It would have been great to actually have that land lord tenant relationship but as long as there are Mega company's threatening the owner ship of the islands the Islands must have Active Defenses which means Neutral Tenants wont enjoy living on an island where there over lords cannon's and guns keep shooting at them!!!

Okay, but would you agree that Megas aren’t likely to go anywhere anytime soon, and that throwing up our hands and attempting to improve nothing because of any and all issues Megas create won’t make things better? Rome wasn’t built in a day. Patience grasshopper. This is one suggestion to adddress one problem area of one new system. I agree there are other things that need to be addressed as well, but this is what I came up with in the shower this particular morning. World peace is Tuesday.

sorry I don't put things down on paper well there a disconnect somewhere between my mind and my hands. im just asperated everyone is poking whole in a sytem no one has givin more then a week to try out. it sames everyone  willnot be happy unless they get there own instance island but no one else doesso they can raid them and not have worry about reprisal. so im get rather abrasive. It just everyone has a idea the perfect but it only good for them. im not saying I have the perfect answer but intel ppl try this system out what ever system they put fother and it* could well will be you idea will be treated the same  

Edited by wintericem107

11 hours ago, Sulfurblade said:

Please explain? Defenses do not attack allys? We have several companys living with us on our Islands and there is no problem with defenses attacking each other?

12 hours ago, Sinappia said:

Please explain? Defenses do not attack allys? We have several companys living with us on our Islands and there is no problem with defenses attacking each other?

You can only have 5 allys, the Island owners of our system don't want to Ally with all the small people living on there island they want to ally with the other larger island owners!  So if your a small company living in our sector you can either merge with the island owner or dodge the gunfire!!!

You can have enough alliances to make it work... we have diffrent alliances without problem. And ofc you have 1 or 2 for the people that live with you on your Island. And if you dont: then why live with such a bad landlord?

Hopefully some day we get a tenant management system.  One such thing that would be handy is marking tenants friendly, neutral, enemy, whatever they decide so you can give them access to parts of the island.  Tenants that are not allowed such as an enemy building a FOB (if they are red it should be automatically marked) or some d-bad thats griefing all the friendly neighbors can be set as enemy and insta-popped when they walk in front of a puckle. 

I think allowing us to set colors to companies with settings would greatly expand control and allow better access to those we wish to give access.  An NPC should be like any player in ones company and know who is and is not allowed to be there.  A management system such as this would allow that.  Expanding even further we could allow gates to use an access control list from these management systems.  Maybe a tenant is a family who plays and they are good people.  I want to give them access to farm an area I have walled off.  Would be neat to allow the gate that protects that area to use this system and grant them access. 

Obviously there is a ton of other things that could be done and added to this.  Just mentioning it this way to incorporate this into the ops topic. 

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1