Sign in to follow this  
Ceron

Can someone elaborate on the new claim system for me?

I can't really find reliable information on how claiming works in this game. I'm part of a four-man company and we're just playing a few hours a day, doing our own thing. We want to stake a claim on an island that not only provides us with reliable resources but is in close proximity to auxiliary resources we need to expand our tech tree, so to speak. 

So we worked up enough gold from treasure hunts to get the claim, we waited the hour, and then after our claim settled we had to pay the exact same amount of gold to maintain it. I looked this up a bit more, and apparently claim flags can't be placed without a tax bank? But we placed our claim without one, and then we built our tax bank. 

Did this cause a bug? Are claims supposed to be resource based or gold based now? Is it normal for a claim maintaining to be as high as the claim itself? I mean yeah, maybe the island is a little too big for our group, but most of the islands are around this size, how are we supposed to get a claim? I have a hard time believing all these other claimed islands under different banners are being claimed by only the largest groups. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I'm missing something, can someone please help me to understand?

Tax bank isn't required anymore. Claims are made with gold only, and upkeep is paid by gold only.

I don't have the experience of owning a claim to say how much it is for upkeep, but the more people you have settling on your claim the longer timeframe you get between upkeep payments, therefore meaning you don't pay as often.

You can still put tax bank which I believe will tax gold when people do treasure hunts to help towards upkeep, but tax bank isn't mandatory i don't think.

1 hour ago, wintericem107 said:

correct island are a very large gold sink its every 12 hours you have to pay the island cost

The more people you have on your island the longer it gets so it can be more than every 12 hours.

17 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The more people you have on your island the longer it gets so it can be more than every 12 hours.

How does it determine how many people you have?

Meaning, I build a house, a dock, animal pen, etc.  but sleep on my boat while traveling and offline... am I still considered part of that island?  Can I belong to two, or three islands if I have settlements in several places?  Am I only part of the island when actively on it? (ie. online or sleeping offline but on the island)

What if I'm just a member of the company that owns the island, do I count to extend the timer?  Or, do I need to be my own company for it to help?

6 hours ago, Ceron said:

I can't really find reliable information on how claiming works in this game. I'm part of a four-man company and we're just playing a few hours a day, doing our own thing. We want to stake a claim on an island that not only provides us with reliable resources but is in close proximity to auxiliary resources we need to expand our tech tree, so to speak. 

So we worked up enough gold from treasure hunts to get the claim, we waited the hour, and then after our claim settled we had to pay the exact same amount of gold to maintain it. I looked this up a bit more, and apparently claim flags can't be placed without a tax bank? But we placed our claim without one, and then we built our tax bank. 

Did this cause a bug? Are claims supposed to be resource based or gold based now? Is it normal for a claim maintaining to be as high as the claim itself? I mean yeah, maybe the island is a little too big for our group, but most of the islands are around this size, how are we supposed to get a claim? I have a hard time believing all these other claimed islands under different banners are being claimed by only the largest groups. Maybe I'm wrong, or maybe I'm missing something, can someone please help me to understand?

As of right now from the info that has been given it is going to be hard for you to own an island if you guys only have a few hours. Either that or be very good to your tenants to expand your enterprise. 

I really do feel for the casuals in this game.  But yeah man, without any tenants you will be responsible for a certain gold upkeep every 12 hours

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but really they need to nerf the hell out of lawless and make it untenable to live there as per their original intention.

The only real way to make it sustainable for smaller or more casual companies to own islands is to have tenants living on their islands. The costs are meant to be controlled that way, but with so many people living in lawless it's simply too expensive to maintain islands, especially larger ones.

That's why there are so many unclaimed large islands. My company is large enough to claim a large island but we've deemed it cost prohibitive to do so and instead are just living as tenants. We could either claim the island and pay the upkeep, or at the same cost have a fleet of up to 60 crewed brigantines.

But back on topic yes the cost of claiming the island is equal to the amount you have to pay in upkeep.

Edited by Kidori

I kinda of agree kidori they could make (just throuwing  an idea not a good one) a 30 percent tax on lawless so staying there sucks or greatly lower the amount of time stuff degrade. but the problem with that is there is a current play group/playsyle that exit in lawless that does make for a unusual and  aggressive play