Sign in to follow this  
Linea

Server performance

So hows the server performance for everyone at the moment?

I just wonder since i dont see anyone talking about any issues. I get constant disconnects every few minutes since the 1.5 patch and the ship positions update only every 3 seconds. Ping at 255 all the time of course.
Maybe its just the grid server im on or does only affect players from certain regions like Europe, as i get a fine connection to the US pvp server but not the EU pvp server from the EU.

Maybe i should play on the US server or other map regions or is it the same there?

• Like 1

Yesterday 140 people were connected on H8 ( EU Colonies ), some of them were fighting Kraken, some fighting each other etc. Ping was around 80. It was really nice. 

Edited by Willard

alright thx, than ill move a few grids seems i had bad luck with my choice ;)

it is pretty weird because some servers i travelled have a ping of 200 with 40 people online and sailing is like a slide show and others have 60 people online with 80 ping and smooth sailing

it seems very different from server to server... if there is 100 players in our grid everything is lagging… when u sail ur ship moves in bits.. u cant reload guns etc etc its basicly unplayable

I am on NA PVP and I have and have had zero latency issues since the wipe. I seem to see a lot of complaints on the EU server about this, perhaps the EU host has issues?

I play NA PvP and our grid is quite laggy.  Several companies have main bases in this grid and we've all built up quite a bit so we think this is the case for us.  Last night it was getting really bad.  Server went down independent of the rest and after it came back up the latency spikes smoothed out a bit and it ran better.  Ping was still 40-80ms higher then other zones, but it was playable.  Me thinks memory leak is possible culprit.

My grid 120-140ms on average

Surrounding grids I am at 50-80.

I would really love to understand how their servers work.  I get the feeling that their databases are high latency and/or poor bandwidth causing wasted cycles.  I know most of us have rigs that can render what we see in real time.  Why does it take so long for the server to send us this data?  Why doesn't the client cache this data even if we leave render range?  What if we come right back?  The entire process is started all over again putting more stress on the server and their WAN circuit(s).  Client should cache data and server can take its time updating the client on changes instead of needing to push it all out in a cpu/pipe taxing burst (if you can call it that since its a trickle most of the time).   Every client doing this as it moves around and island puts a ton of extra stress on the servers.  Better cache management would greatly reduce the stress.

Using low latency fiber based SANS storage solutions could also help if they are not already using this.  When you need data yesterday this is how companies like Microsoft and Amazon do it.  Costs have dropped quite a bit the last 10 years.  The SAN switches and AGG routers we used at Microsoft no longer cost more then a large home like they used to.

I am just thinking out loud here.  I know there are strategies that can be implemented to increase server performance, but we have no clue what they have in place, what their strategy is to fix it nor do we know their knowledge/experience level when it comes to enterprise hosting solutions.  I'm no expert, but I've been around this gear long enough to know what is what and how to solve issues by using the proper hardware for the scenario.

Edited by DocHolliday

Ideally you want about 5-10 people on a server.  In its current state that's about all the players a region can handle.  It's basically just like Ark when it comes to handling the latency issues.  And Ark never really got any better during EA and even after launch.  In allot of region on NA PVE there are only a handful of players and the pings are a solid 60 with very little latency at all.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:47 AM, Linea said:

So hows the server performance for everyone at the moment?

I just wonder since i dont see anyone talking about any issues. I get constant disconnects every few minutes since the 1.5 patch and the ship positions update only every 3 seconds. Ping at 255 all the time of course.
Maybe its just the grid server im on or does only affect players from certain regions like Europe, as i get a fine connection to the US pvp server but not the EU pvp server from the EU.

Maybe i should play on the US server or other map regions or is it the same there?

Have you tried resetting your router?  A friend was having allot of problems with disconnects and resetting his router fixed the problem.

Hey thanks for all the answers.

For a few days its working now smoothly on most grids, could even join the FOY train without any lag.
Thou i dont know what fixed it, maybe the ISP, the server or anything in between was causing a specific problem as it did only happen with the EU server to that extend.
Resetting the router regularly seems to be a smart move thou 😉

Ping is now between 40 and 80 depending on player numbers on the grid.

What i did notice on servers with only a few players is that the ping can improve or drop drastically when 1 player connects or leaves. It could be individual lag that stalls some servers.

My grid can have 1 player and 150 ping.  Every island has multiple bays full of ships and large bases.   We had 140 people in a grid last night and it ran pretty smooth.  Ping was around 80-100 and no warping.  That server grid was not as built up so it ran smooth.