DoubleHelix

Friendly mermaid quest

14 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Even if you don't have crew manning the sails if there is no player on the ship the sails will close automatically, but by then it will have still sailed a fair distance.

Do you not get discovery points from the quest?

Last weekend I sit up on a bear with a cargo-saddle while crossing the oceans.

I glitched off immediately and my gally drived on and did not stop.

I had luck that a crewmate jumped to the gally and saved her and picked up me and my bear.

10 hours ago, Sydhart said:

You hunt SoTD in Golden Age area? You are braver than I. I stopped doing that because of the fear of getting pulled off my ship while fighting them. 

I started to go there for SotDs the moment I had legendary planks in my brig with roughly 9.3k Hitpoints and legendary cannons under deck with roughly 180% dmg. I always carry 10 medium planks and 12 gunport planks with me to be able to react fast if sth goes terrible wrong. I also added some levels to sturdiness to expand sinking time.

So, I was pulled off two times while fighting serveral mid and high level SotD. Once from a good mermaid. Once from a evil one. Even with the evil one i could make it back onto the ship kinda on time (4 planks were gone and 3 or 5 were leeking but she still was swimming 😉 ) Then first thing I do is I set full sails get out of range and take care about the repairs. Was tense though. :)

But I have to add I already sunk to mid class brigs before I found a setup which is working for me soloing(with NPCs) the fleets in golden ages sectors.

Edited by The_Wiesel

1 hour ago, Forb Hidden said:

Last weekend I sit up on a bear with a cargo-saddle while crossing the oceans.

I glitched off immediately and my gally drived on and did not stop.

I had luck that a crewmate jumped to the gally and saved her and picked up me and my bear.

really? All my ships turn down sails and stop right the moment the last player left the ship. I often count on that behaviour when for example i approach an island and just jump of the last meters before the shore beeing sure the ship anchors automatically then. Will have an eye on this from now on. 😉

1 hour ago, The_Wiesel said:

really? 

Yes... Usually it stops, but there is (or was) a problem with the bears and cargo-saddles. They glitch around on the boat and often get lost while sailing or crossing servers. I heared some kind of terrible noises as I start my travel, then I saw the bear glitching around and thinked maybe it helps, if I place him 2m beside. Bad idea... After mounting, I immediately glitched off my galleon and saw em not stopping. 

My mate helped me out, I put the bear back down in my galleon and continued my voyage. Bad idea. At home I figured out that my bear is gone... 

Since then I will never never never ever again sail around, when a cargo-saddle is equipped.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Forb Hidden said:

Yes... Usually it stops, but there is (or was) a problem with the bears and cargo-saddles. They glitch around on the boat and often get lost while sailing or crossing servers. I heared some kind of terrible noises as I start my travel, then I saw the bear glitching around and thinked maybe it helps, if I place him 2m beside. Bad idea... After mounting, I immediately glitched off my galleon and saw em not stopping. 

My mate helped me out, I put the bear back down in my galleon and continued my voyage. Bad idea. At home I figured out that my bear is gone... 

Since then I will never never never ever again sail around, when a cargo-saddle is equipped.

Thanks for sharing that;)

• Like 1

Hmm. I wonder if it’s an issue with all bears with cart saddles equipped.

I have noticed that occasionally, while travelling with a bear with cart saddle onboard, that I’ll hear a sound and then about half a second later all of the bears will shift towards the rear of the boat, or even floating in the air behind the boat. Thinking about it more, it does seem to occur more frequently when I have several bears onboard. I’ll try and record what is happening and how many bears are on board when it happens. Hopefully that will shed some light on what causes the issue.

I used to furl the sails and whistle them on follow if they’re floating off the boat, or mount them and reposition them if they’re still on the boat. I’ve since found it much more reliable to just sail to a nearby island and drop anchor. After a second they’ll reset to their original positions.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Salty Del said:

Hmm. I wonder if it’s an issue with all bears with cart saddles equipped.

I have noticed that occasionally, while travelling with a bear with cart saddle onboard, that I’ll hear a sound and then about half a second later all of the bears will shift towards the rear of the boat, or even floating in the air behind the boat. Thinking about it more, it does seem to occur more frequently when I have several bears onboard. I’ll try and record what is happening and how many bears are on board when it happens. Hopefully that will shed some light on what causes the issue.

I used to furl the sails and whistle them on follow if they’re floating off the boat, or mount them and reposition them if they’re still on the boat. I’ve since found it much more reliable to just sail to a nearby island and drop anchor. After a second they’ll reset to their original positions.

The problem u describing is happening to me as well but under complete different circumstances. Our bears glitch off the deck (no mather which saddle they have) with your described behaviour when we travel through storms. For me it seems that it has sth to do with the height of the waves of the ocean. The higher they are AND the smaller the boat the easierer bears glitch off. I think the game has a prob to locate the bears ground positition relativly to the deck the more movement between those two components happen.

Following the idea: Maybe cargosaddles make this worse then normal saddles since a new component is added in this calculation due to the cargosaddle which also has to be mapped to the deck.So maybe the cargo saddle "drags" the bear off board. -> Just a thought

I've never seen mermaids out of the golden and there they are always aggressive?

17 minutes ago, Rising said:

I've never seen mermaids out of the golden and there they are always aggressive?

They are only in the golden age ruins, and the friendly ones are rarer than the unfriendly ones. I think it was the sixth mermaid I came across (and chased down, I think the others filed restraining orders) that was finally a friendly one.

Edited by Salty Del

Friendly mermaid is not rare. 

You can complete the quest on all mermaid. Look at your debuffs and swimming to her. If you don't have the debuff push the mermaid and you complete the quest. If you have the debuff the mermaid go with you under water. 

All in my company make it so 

Sry for my bad English. 

7 hours ago, Forb Hidden said:

Same happened to me. Always switch saddle before I set sail. 

1 hour ago, Ronns0r said:

Friendly mermaid is not rare. 

You can complete the quest on all mermaid. Look at your debuffs and swimming to her. If you don't have the debuff push the mermaid and you complete the quest. If you have the debuff the mermaid go with you under water. 

All in my company make it so  

Sry for my bad English. 

When you say "debuff" are you mentioning the mermaid mini-game?

All I know is every single damn time I run into a mermaid I have gear on and usually some BP's from a recently sunk SoTD.  I need to sail naked and instantly put BP's away so I can take the plunge. 

If you sailing in the note circle you became a debuff. 

After your ship is out range the circle the debuff will removed. Than swimm fast to the mermaid and press e. 

My English is so bad I hope you understand what I mean