DoubleHelix

Friendly mermaid quest

Can someone give a bit clearance how the hell "friendly mermaid" quest works... Found one, wasted hours to get pulled - tried everything - getting attracted while on ship, while in water, win minigame, not doing minigame, dancing while ship entering the circle, playing music and the outcome was one and same - a big NOTHING. 

Is it pure random with 0.1% chance e.g. or we are doing something wrong?

P.S. Maybe I have to get her flowers?

Was also wondering about this so i asked the man himself, it is a random rare spawn, not a normal mermaid, good luck on your adventure searching!

Friendly Mermaid.png

Cheers. Found one too, but it is still weird. I got the quest, but the company member that was with me on board did not on next interaction. Sort of a Jekyll / Hyde story... Or just schizophrenia... 

does anyone know whats the reward for complete the quest? I got 2 things appeared on the screen, but did't read it. I had 40 iridium in my inventory then but whats the second reward?

On 4/21/2019 at 8:22 AM, DoubleHelix said:

Cheers. Found one too, but it is still weird. I got the quest, but the company member that was with me on board did not on next interaction. Sort of a Jekyll / Hyde story... Or just schizophrenia... 

Only 1 person from the company gets the reward from mermaid. And I don't think mermaids are a rare spawn because we found 3 yesterday.

7 hours ago, Tenosch said:

does anyone know whats the reward for complete the quest? I got 2 things appeared on the screen, but did't read it. I had 40 iridium in my inventory then but whats the second reward?

Skill unlocks +35% Stamina Regeneration.

Only one person at a time? That’s unfortunate, if accurate.

We spent three evenings out looking for a monstrous sperm whale, and found two just as we were giving up for the third time.  At least those ones we all got the achievement for.

On 4/21/2019 at 1:29 PM, Tenosch said:

I got some crystal out of it today

The name of the quest seems to imply that completion makes you a friend of the mermaids. Does anyone know if this stops them from messing with you in the future?

I'm wondering if they even exist.  I mean I sail all over and never ran across one, unless the friendly one's don't create song circles and you are just supposed to see them bobbing all by themselves out in the middle of any random grid.  In which case I'll probably never find one because my draw distance isn't very far when I'm doing 15-20 knots.

I found a few in L3. Ironwood the first time. Mineral Oil the second time. Third time. Don't remember I was eaten by a shark hehehe. Maybe the merwenches just like me.

2 hours ago, Sleepinator2000 said:

The name of the quest seems to imply that completion makes you a friend of the mermaids. Does anyone know if this stops them from messing with you in the future?

Definitely does not stop them from trying to pull you off in later encounters.  The time I was pulled off a ship I completed the quest entirely by accident mashing buttons as guildmates talked on top of one another attempting to explain how to not fall off the ship and complete the quest all at once.  I never even saw the mermaid.

Sailing through powerstone zones I've had numerous other encounters, though hitting 'X' to lie on the ship deck has worked every time for not getting pulled off.

Edited by Myth

Oh thanks Myth. I always get sucked into the water like now as I sail through H6. I think the merpeople are trying to claim me for one of their own. Great time to respond. I mean literally as I was reading the circle/notes came up.

Haven't completed yet but clanmate told me how to do it easily. On your ship you will need to box yourself in so the mermaid can't pull you in when you find the circles. Can use railings and or walls or whatever. Once you find the mermaid circle and are out of it, use spyglass to see the mermaid in the middle of the circle. If she is beautiful, shoot her in the face! Once you get close to the beautiful one she'll turn into a monster and try to drown you. The mini game during the drowning is just so you can punch her in the face and escape and has noting to do with trying to make her friendly. If when you look at her with the spyglass and she is ugly, then you can swim into the circle and when you get close, she will turn beautiful and embrace you and you will get the completion for Friend of the Mermaids. 

I guess they are trying to teach us it's more about what's in the inside than the outside?  🙂

• Thanks 3

I just let them pull me in and spam e when I get close. Works for me every time. Never met an unfriendly one. Then again maybe they just laugh as they watch the sharks chase me down. The kiss is really a kiss your ass goodbye.

Had the mermaid show up 3 times while spending a few hours farming sods in D12, everyone on my ship but me got the quest done because I was busy driving the ship. As soon as one person got it she would swim away faster then I could swim

Sail around alone till you get dragged off, then jump off, and swim to the mermaid, if she attacks you, then do the minigame and swim back to ship, if not you get like 50 of some random resource and complete the quest, it's pure rng.

my personal experience is that the mermaids often can be found in golden age sectors. When i go hunting for SotD in golden age I nearly have one everytime. As Hakaisha89 stated its completly random if it is friendly or evil. Good luck

I only saw these who try to get you off the ship. 

How does the friendly one acts? Is there a different behavior? Or does I know if she is friendly or not, when I take a swim with her?

3 hours ago, The_Wiesel said:

my personal experience is that the mermaids often can be found in golden age sectors. When i go hunting for SotD in golden age I nearly have one everytime. As Hakaisha89 stated its completly random if it is friendly or evil. Good luck

I believe they only spawn in golden age ruins, nowhere else.

The mermaids only spawn in the ocean in the golden age ruins. Both the friendly and aggressive mermaids sing you off your ship.

If you’re watching for it, you can see the mermaids area of effect for their singing. It’s a yellow circle with yellow musical notes rising from it in the waters surface.

When you enter the circle, you get a debuff with no timer and will start bouncing towards the side of your ship. You can control yourself somewhat to stay on the ship with your directional keys. Even after leaving the AoE, you’ll still have the debuff for a short period. I’ll have to try the laying prone tip the next time I encounter one.

If you have crew manning the sails and all players are off the ship, the crew will furl your sails. If you’re on your own, I hope you’ve got a bed on board and are not sailing directly at a very close island (I’ve not seen them spawn close to land though.)

The aggressive mermaids are dark colours and will grab you and start dragging you underwater. This starts a mini game for you to punch the mermaid to break free. Don’t worry though. Chances are a shark will eat you both first.

The friendly mermaids have brighter colours, and once you get close enough you’ll get the achievement and a small amount of a resource in your inventory.

I don’t really see a huge gain from having the achievement. 35% extra stamina gain is nice, but not game changing. So don’t worry too much about not having the achievement. You’ll get it eventually.

Edited by Salty Del
Autocorrect failure. You only fuel the sails of enemy ships to make them burn better.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Salty Del said:

The mermaids only spawn in the ocean in the golden age ruins. Both the friendly and aggressive mermaids sing you off your ship.

If you’re watching for it, you can see the mermaids area of effect for their singing. It’s a yellow circle with yellow musical notes rising from it in the waters surface.

When you enter the circle, you get a debuff with no timer and will start bouncing towards the side of your ship. You can control yourself somewhat to stay on the ship with your directional keys. Even after leaving the AoE, you’ll still have the debuff for a short period. I’ll have to try the laying prone tip the next time I encounter one.

If you have crew manning the sails and all players are off the ship, the crew will furl your sails. If you’re on your own, I hope you’ve got a bed on board and are not sailing directly at a very close island (I’ve not seen them spawn close to land though.)

The aggressive mermaids are dark colours and will grab you and start dragging you underwater. This starts a mini game for you to punch the mermaid to break free. Don’t worry though. Chances are a shark will eat you both first.

The friendly mermaids have brighter colours, and once you get close enough you’ll get the achievement and a small amount of a resource in your inventory.

I don’t really see a huge gain from having the achievement. 35% extra stamina gain is nice, but not game changing. So don’t worry too much about not having the achievement. You’ll get it eventually.

Even if you don't have crew manning the sails if there is no player on the ship the sails will close automatically, but by then it will have still sailed a fair distance.

Do you not get discovery points from the quest?

13 hours ago, The_Wiesel said:

You hunt SoTD in Golden Age area? You are braver than I. I stopped doing that because of the fear of getting pulled off my ship while fighting them.