EvilBoy

Another Wipe?

So there is another big patch planed with new islands and dungeons. Will that include a second wipe?

No, I expect another wipe in another 4 - 6 months though, just a guess. I anticipated several of them before buying it, I have fun building and collecting stuff anyway, I don't mind wipes.

13 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

No, I expect another wipe in another 4 - 6 months though, just a guess. I anticipated several of them before buying it, I have fun building and collecting stuff anyway, I don't mind wipes.

You will be one of very few that comeback to build and collect stuff but i doubt they will keep servers up for 500-600 players i just want to hear it from the devs if they will wipe again or not so i dont waste my time with this game and its last breath 

1 minute ago, Talono said:

I have been wiped again today on Empire.

Love you Jat !❤️❤️❤️

why did you go empires everyone knew it was going to be a dead server

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

Even if they keep wiping every 4-6 months... Still not acceptable. A persistan universe "MMO" (especially  PvE) should not be wiped unless absolutely needed. This ends up being like PvP "seasons"...  They greatly overestimate the fun factor of their own game. It is not enough fun to start over every few months.

Edited by Grongash

54 minutes ago, Grongash said:

Even if they keep wiping every 4-6 months... Still not acceptable. A persistan universe "MMO" (especially  PvE) should not be wiped unless absolutely needed. This ends up being like PvP "seasons"...  They greatly overestimate the fun factor of their own game. It is not enough fun to start over every few months.

Unless said persistent universe MMO was in a previously stated 2 year Early Access period and not a released game, at which point any savy player would know that wipes are always possible and that ultimately there would at a minimum be a wipe prior to launch.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, EvilBoy said:

You will be one of very few that comeback to build and collect stuff but i doubt they will keep servers up for 500-600 players i just want to hear it from the devs if they will wipe again or not so i dont waste my time with this game and its last breath 

why did you go empires everyone knew it was going to be a dead server

Might be exactly why he went there. 😉

They wont wipe again, maybe partial wipes, ie if they add new islands and those islands will occupy areas other islands already do, then obviously those old islands will move and everything on them will be lost.  But that's just part of the game system.  It's EA give up whining about wipes already.

There may be a wipe before release, many servers in arc were not wiped during the release period, we just kept playing.  So no need for those paranoid delusions either.

Stop hating on a game many of you don't even own or play.

11 minutes ago, Martyn said:

They wont wipe again, maybe partial wipes, ie if they add new islands and those islands will occupy areas other islands already do, then obviously those old islands will move and everything on them will be lost.  But that's just part of the game system.  It's EA give up whining about wipes already.

There may be a wipe before release, many servers in arc were not wiped during the release period, we just kept playing.  So no need for those paranoid delusions either.

Stop hating on a game many of you don't even own or play.

Pretty sure I am the only one that doesn’t own it and I haven’t been hating on it. I just gave jat credit for good responses.

as far as not playing it goes, you are going out on a limb assuming they are not playing. And to be honest if they are playing it they can hate on it all they want. It is called being an unsatisfied customer. 

Maybe you should spend more time playing a game that you like instead of complaining about people complaining?

if someone complains about a game they have a reason. If someone complains that others are complaining, that makes that person the whiner.

12 minutes ago, Martyn said:

It's either wipe all or nothing. Partial wipes, lmao really? So they wipe some areas but not others. What world are you living in?

23 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

It's either wipe all or nothing. Partial wipes, lmao really? So they wipe some areas but not others. What world are you living in?

That's what they did in ark..

When they added the snow extension and the swamp and trees, they only wiped those areas that were being replaced.  And gave a months notification before doing it.

So, this one apparently, which one are you in? The moon?

26 minutes ago, Realist said:

Pretty sure I am the only one that doesn’t own it and I haven’t been hating on it. I just gave jat credit for good responses.

as far as not playing it goes, you are going out on a limb assuming they are not playing. And to be honest if they are playing it they can hate on it all they want. It is called being an unsatisfied customer. 

Maybe you should spend more time playing a game that you like instead of complaining about people complaining?

if someone complains about a game they have a reason. If someone complains that others are complaining, that makes that person the whiner.

You go look through some of their previous posts and you'll see stuff like "well I haven't played for 3months etc or I won't play it again until that is done or this is added" it's all the same crowd.  I wasn't specifically naming you. Or anyone else. 😉  You did that.

39 minutes ago, Martyn said:

That's what they did in ark..

When they added the snow extension and the swamp and trees, they only wiped those areas that were being replaced.  And gave a months notification before doing it.

So, this one apparently, which one are you in? The moon?

You go look through some of their previous posts and you'll see stuff like "well I haven't played for 3months etc or I won't play it again until that is done or this is added" it's all the same crowd.  I wasn't specifically naming you. Or anyone else. 😉  You did that.

Sure dude 😂

1 hour ago, Realist said:

Once again they did not buy the final product they bought EARLY ACCESS. So it is not "an unsatisfied customer".  

These forums should be locked to people who don't own the game. You have over 1500 post about things you don't know anything about. 

2 hours ago, ButtPirate said:

Once again they did not buy the final product they bought EARLY ACCESS. So it is not "an unsatisfied customer".  

These forums should be locked to people who don't own the game. You have over 1500 post about things you don't know anything about. 

Please tell me you aren’t American. Never seen a group of people like on here trying to silence and take away speech as much as here. Pretty sad really. 

Why don’t you go play the game if you like it so much. I can’t so I am here giving my opinion.

you can’t be having that much fun if you are here. I didn’t sign up for the ark forums till a year after I was playing and got pushed at the devs lol

3 minutes ago, Realist said:

Please tell me you aren’t American. Never seen a group of people like on here trying to silence and take away speech as much as here. Pretty sad really. 

Why don’t you go play the game if you like it so much. I can’t so I am here giving my opinion.

you can’t be having that much fun if you are here. I didn’t sign up for the ark forums till a year after I was playing and got pushed at the devs lol

Well being as you don't have a pc that can run anything other than Minecraft, I will explain how it works. I can be on the game, this forum and anything else as my pc is able to do that. 

I'm not trying to take away anyone's free speech, however being as you have never played this game you give a lot of false information and post about things you don't know anything about.  Your post are always telling someone how sad they are. When in reality it is you that is sad and bitter. Perhaps if you spent less time trolling these forums you could get a job or a second job and buy a pc that can run the game. Then when you make 1500 post maybe one or two of them will be relevant.

• Like 2

Jesus these topics 😄 

2 hours ago, Realist said:

Sure dude 😂

They really did that in ARK, i remember that. 

Edited by Willard

8 minutes ago, ButtPirate said:

Well being as you don't have a pc that can run anything other than Minecraft, I will explain how it works. I can be on the game, this forum and anything else as my pc is able to do that. 

I'm not trying to take away anyone's free speech, however being as you have never played this game you give a lot of false information and post about things you don't know anything about.  Your post are always telling someone how sad they are. When in reality it is you that is sad and bitter. Perhaps if you spent less time trolling these forums you could get a job or a second job and buy a pc that can run the game. Then when you make 1500 post maybe one or two of them will be relevant.

Always thought it was too nerdy. Don’t need a second job either lol. I keep giving my input when as I see fit.

doesnt matter if you are multi tasking. If the game was that fun you would be focused on it. Don’t see why anyone would bother being on here if they were having fun playing the game.

Edited by Realist

The character data is stored in a completely different place than the structure and building data.  They can blow away a grid without needing to wipe character data or other grids.

You can also add stuff to a grid just fine, as long as you don't move anything.

So they CAN add new islands without wiping just fine.  The bigger question is will they.

By that argument there was no need for them to wipe with the last megapatch because all they did was add copy pasted islands, new trench and new tundras.  But they can make a better map by relocating things, moving them within grid which requires a grid wipe, and they also rebalanced discoveries which required a character wipe.   The real reason for wiping was for duping and hacked characters and based on ark, that is never going to change.   They might do ARK style soft wipe of here is a new server with new stuff, and let players wipe themselves off the old servers.  Or my favorite ARK move was promising they are not changing the terrain it would just be biome cosmetics, only to find your base was ruined by terrain changes.

12 minutes ago, krazmuze said:

By that argument there was no need for them to wipe with the last megapatch because all they did was add copy pasted islands, new trench and new tundras.  But they can make a better map by relocating things, moving them within grid which requires a grid wipe, and they also rebalanced discoveries which required a character wipe.   The real reason for wiping was for duping and hacked characters and based on ark, that is never going to change.   They might do ARK style soft wipe of here is a new server with new stuff, and let players wipe themselves off the old servers.  Or my favorite ARK move was promising they are not changing the terrain it would just be biome cosmetics, only to find your base was ruined by terrain changes.  

The reason for the last wipe was to clear the claim system, not to introduce new islands.

• Like 1

That and their databases had to be a god damned mess.  All the cheaters getting perks and levels they did not deserve.  Bugged BP's, gear, permanent buffs, server crashes, database rollbacks,  data corruption, etc.  All of it was a giant mess and I would not be surprised if the database itself was having issues which negatively affected overall system performance.  Sure they fixed issues as time went on, but all the previous crap was still there and cleaning that data without causing any other issues would be a ton of work and odds are it would not end up how everyone would want it to. 

Quickest and easiest way to clean it up was a wipe.  I hope the server performance I am seeing now continues even 2-3 months down the road.  People are starting to build larger and larger bases and more boats.  So far so good in the zones I frequent, but only time will tell.  Performance was not this good when the servers first went live in December.  Night and day difference.

Go live for 1.5 saw 140 people in our server grid.  Lots of fighting going on and it ran flawlessly.  Sure ship and structure count was relatively low, but it handled that many connections very well! 

Edited by DocHolliday

7 hours ago, Talono said:

I have been wiped again today on Empire.

Love you Jat !❤️❤️❤️

Then why go and play the same cluster Feck join colonies very little difference apart from when you come in the next day your boats and gear are still there lol 

Edited by smokedog77

5 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The reason for the last wipe was to clear the claim system, not to introduce new islands.

They could have easily deleted the flags only - in fact they said that was the original plan for unofficial that they would lose the individual flags and have to replace with colony flags but the map and chars would not need to wipe.   This was before they added empires and kept the old flag code in the game.

The real wipe reason was the cheated exploited duped mess of chars and bases.   Islands could have been added and flags could have been deleted without wiping chars or bases.

Edited by krazmuze