Sign in to follow this  
Mortavius

Bug: Pets disappearing off of ships during travel

Lost a lvl 29 perfect tame (it was 29 when it was tamed) when it VANISHED out of my hold in my ship. It was secure.

If you cannot fix the bug, you need to let us have a way to SUMMON our lost pets to us. We go through a lot of trouble to find and tame pets, and when we take them on our ships to USE THEM and PLAY THE GAME AS IT WAS INTENDED...... we get screwed over. This NEEDS to be fixed. How?

#1... Give us an Item that LEASHES our pets to the ships or a container that allows us to store pets within them.
#2.... Give us an item or a skill (with a timer) that allows us to summon lost pets back to us.

This is really making me not want to keep playing this game. What is the point when I lose what I value the most in the game? My bear was how I made my money and did everything, and I went through hell to get it. Now, it's gone. All that time completely wasted.

A lost ship I can handle.
A lost item I can make again, I can handle.
A perfect almost max level tame?..... that's the deal-breaker for me. If that keeps happening, I'm done. What's the point of even having a ship IF IT CAN'T SAFELY TRANSPORT MY THINGS WITHOUT THEM DISAPPEARING OFF OF IT FOR NO EFFING REASON!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This needs to be fixed, seriously. Like I said, it's easy to fix with one of those two suggestions.

Three days ago we lost a wolf while sailing with a brig. Had three bears and that wolf with. 

It's an issue 😢

only time I ever lost a tame was when it was set to aggressive or neutral and a ship of the damned attacked me, the will jump off the ship

I had one of my bears kinda slowly gliding of the ship while traveling. It was traveling with me but wasnt standing on the ship anymore at one point. I watched it closely.

During server crossing it spawned in the sea instead of on the ship, so it would have been lost. I had to u turn to pick it up again.

I had 2 bears shooting into space.

Also since the last patch the ladders seem to be an issue again sometimes.

Been an issue since day 1. I've lost bears, elephants and tigers mostly vanishing when porting to ship and 1 that bounced up and down floating into  the distance.

I remember Jat saying it is hard to fix but they were looking at it, I doubt they will fix it though anytime soon.

Clearly, there needs to be some mechanic that ties the tame to the ship.  I suggested magical crates, that upload the tames for transport, like the Cryopods do in ARK.  A simple crate, or cube, that you can set down near a tame, and upload the tame into it.  But, remove the thing about tames being sick if you remove too many at once.  Just limit the number a ship can carry, For instance, making them still count as crew, except for shoulder tames, so long as there is a live crewman to count as it's owner.

In the meantime, if you cross over into a new grid, and your shoulder tame is gone from your shoulder, try logging out, and back in.  That sometimes makes them reappear on the deck near where you were standing.

• Like 1

All they have to do for an easy fix is to have an item that allows us to store pets within as an inventory item (like a ship-board pet-crate) or the second easiest fix is a skill that allows us to summon them from anywhere in the world if they have been lost and we don't know when or where along the journey.... with a lockout timer of a few hours to prevent abuse.

The pet crate idea is the easiest to implement, because you don't need to worry about guild permissions and other mechanics as much: just despawn the pet into a pet token, and then respawn the pet and despawn the token when you call the pet.... the pet properties and stats would be stored in the item.
-----------
Step 1: Item is triggered, pet stats (WITHOUT INVENTORY) are recorded... the item would not work with a pet's inventory just to make the implementation easier., only naked pets with stats.

Step 2: Spawn the pet token in the pet-cage inventory and despawn the pet.

Step 3: Profit!

That would take a short time to implement.... mebbe a couple of days TOPS, because it will use mostly already existing code that is 'copy-pasted' and re-purposed. AND, they could claim it as a semi-permanent if not permanent fix, because that would completely stop the problem, putting the onus on the player for not using the item to secure their animals onboard, instead of on the developers. A Nash Equilibrium: a win-win.

So..... let's recap:
a.) fast to implement
b.) repurposes mostly existing code
c.) semi-permanent.
d.) adds depth to the game and crafting system
e. ) solves a potentially game-stopping problem for many people.

If they don't do it, that means:
a.) They don't care if it could be a virtually overnight fix
b.) They don't understand their code enough to copy-paste it and stitch it together with modded code
c.) They don't care about implementing a long-term "patch" that would solve the issue to a completely workable degree, allowing them to forget about it and focus on other stuff
d.) They don't care about adding depth; cargo crates that make ship holds look "full," adding atmosphere as well as solving a mechanical issue.

Seriously, this would be a no-brainer.

• Thanks 1

By the way, such magical items could be used for increasing the cargo ability of a ship.  I would like to see some sort of cargo crate that can carry more resources at a reduced weight, like x0.1 weight, but cannot be opened on the ship unless anchored.  This would allow more resources to be carried on a ship, without unbalancing the repair vs damage in a battle.

Now, this could cause a problem in a fight where you pull into somebody's port, and anchor to repair damage while fighting, right?  Sure, but the consequence is that you are now a sitting duck to mortars, and cannon bears.  If you have removed those threats, I think it hardly matters if you use surplus repair stores you are carrying.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And if even that suggestion is too much, I have an even EASIER workaround:

Allow us a map toggle that lets us SEE where our pets are on the map, so that we can go and retrieve a lost pet. THAT can be done in a single afternoon, GUI elements and all. And, it would at least give us a fighting chance not to lose days or weeks of time investment.

Simple repurposing of the code that lets us see ships on our maps. SUPER SIMPLE. And at least a map toggle is something you can do and patch in ONE AFTERNOON.... almost no development time compared to fixing other issues... and this is a MAJOR game-breaking issue.

Edited by Mortavius

1 hour ago, DannyUK said:

Been an issue since day 1. I've lost bears, elephants and tigers mostly vanishing when porting to ship and 1 that bounced up and down floating into  the distance.

I remember Jat saying it is hard to fix but they were looking at it, I doubt they will fix it though anytime soon.

if that happens just whistle the animal

Solution : System like in Conan Exiles : Transport tames and NPC in your inventory.

This would also solve the issue to bring NPC up into high rock bases,

• Like 1

We lost an elephant... moving from one island to another it just started "flying" (yes, it suddenly started flying away of the boat). Never saw it again and 3 days later its still not dead lol

tames start to hover on board when you raise the anchor.

raise the anchor and check on your tames. make sure they're standing on deck properly.

this also can happen after changing servers. that's why i check on my tames everytime i cross a server border.

and yes - i pretty much experienced most of what's described above. had a horse on deck that disappeared all of a sudden while crew members went through the

bottom of the ship bouncing up and down like a super ball on speed.

shoulder pets are safe to the most extent when they're locked in a confined cabin during transition.  nonetheless they start to float or go through the floor or ceiling when raising or dropping the anchor.

all this is not ideal but it helps to prevent the loss of precious tames. ever since i go and check after my tames i never lost any again.

leave alone the monkeys who came off my shoulder due to a disconnect and that i forgot to pick up when sailing on.

The straight to inventory option on the pet radial menu, only with an empty inventory (to prevent exploitation) would probably be the most simple and immediate fix.... and could be implemented quickly, like a map-toggle to see our pets like we can see our ships. Honestly, I think a Map Toggle for pets should have been in the game to begin with.