Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Vitamin Drop v Hunger really needs to be fixed.

Firstly I think they need to bring back the kind of rates you got at release, especially at sea.  Sailing around doing nothing, stopping every region or two to suicide yourself because your vits have dropped so low, that you die and your hunger is so high, that you can't eat anything without "overeating" is just a stupid way to play the game.

Alot of people just do this anyway, I've met very few people who are even using cooking etc.  Or who eat.. many don't even know that grog etc reduce damage in fights.. or that food can be used to replace various vits. at once.

But the problem is with a lack of hunger drops.  Especially as you progress in levels and start using tamed animals to harvest, you aren't doing the physical work and are basically just getting fat.. and lazy hehe.  Yeh me irl.

Also getting vit balance doesnt seem to be working as well as it should.  My vits, when harvesting etc if I do them manually, are always equal yet I'm never balanced.. it's weird.  That said I'm mostly at sea and they never balance at all then, which for a game which tries to put you to sea is pretty silly.

Edited by Martyn

Just take the overeating debuff, it doesn't do that much damage, and as a side effect it lowers your food more when you regain your health back

This is why survival games are niche games.  Everything is a pain in the ass, because what survival games tend to lack, is game content, so they need to slow you down...way down.  Keep you running after silly stuff, constantly, so that you don't realize you are playing a game with very little actual game content.  7 days to die, is a perfect example of this.  If you didn't have the survival stuff to keep you busy, there would be no game.

When you understand that the survival stuff is there to distract you from the fact that there is very little game content, you will understand everything about the game.

5 hours ago, jabnlab said:

Just take the overeating debuff, it doesn't do that much damage, and as a side effect it lowers your food more when you regain your health back

This is precisely why it needs to be fixed, you have no choice but to use this to exploit the system.  Vit drops rapidly compared to the hunger level, except when you're chopping trees or fighting, healing etc.  IF you're sailing or using tames alot you have no choice but to exploit it and it's a silly way to have to deal with it.

I detest how much time it takes.  So you are down on vitamins, and you get those white arrows as you eat, that hide how much the vitamin is rising.  So you have to sit there and let it go away, then eat a little more, and wait, and eat a little more, and wait.  I very much preferred ARK's eating.  Hungry?  Just slam some food, and you are good.  You can get right back to what you were doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I detest how much time it takes.  So you are down on vitamins, and you get those white arrows as you eat, that hide how much the vitamin is rising.  So you have to sit there and let it go away, then eat a little more, and wait, and eat a little more, and wait.  I very much preferred ARK's eating.  Hungry?  Just slam some food, and you are good.  You can get right back to what you were doing.

5 cooked meat/fish meat/farmed veggies (For most veggies) and 25 berries will get you full food and 1/2 a bar of vitamins-ish.

If you're in a safe spot, 10 raw meat/fish meat will do the same and leave you with 8~ HP from 100.

7~ milk and shit tier veggies (like maize IIRC) will equal 5 cooked meats/fish meat/veggies.

Wild vitamin A (wild rice etc) is the same as berries. 25.

It's an easy ratio to remember.

it's total bogus how fast you die from vitamin deficit right now,

i liked the debuffs way better and to some extent even more realistic.

what wasn't realistic and still isn't by far is that your vitamins deplete faster than your hunger.

i would have no issues to eat every now and then because i'm hungry but having to eat because your vitamins are gone and you're not hungry at all

and get a debuff from eating simply is lame

While sailing around I use to dance since day one to become hungry.

Works fine and u can manage your vitamins pretty good 👍

1 hour ago, Kummba said:

Just learn the system and prepare!

Agree, it's amazing that people still havent figured out this simple system yet.

1 meat, 1 fish, 5 cooking herbs, 5 berry's. Very easy should be up and ready before you leave a freeport.

1 meat, 1 milk, 1 Potato (or other crop), 5 berry's. when you start growing your own and tame a cow.

1 pork pie, 1 fish 'n' chips. when you learn how to cook.

Food and vitamins sorted, a little effort, yes, but this is a survival game.

Sorry, takes a whole lot more than that, if your vitamins get low, which does happen when you are concentrating on other task.  I have eaten as many as 60 or 70 berries or more, to get the Vitamin C back up.  If using some of the wild greens, it takes nearly as many to get Vitamin A back up.

It doesn't enhance my game experience, and you know what...find me one case in real life where somebody died from vitamin poisoning from eating a couple steaks too many, or too many berries/veggies, or too much fish.

3 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Real life / fantasy pirate game!  yar i can't see how you could confuse the two.

Kind of helps the immersion when the mechanics at least resemble reality, even if only just slightly.

Kind of like why we don't have lasers and photon torpedoes on our 17th Century sailing ships.

Even knowing the ratios I could careless about worrying about food.  I just eat once in awhile to buy time to finish something.  Rest of the time I go find a bear to kill me or jump off the ship.  Less time involved AFAIK. 

Our wars and politics are the content and eating gets in the way of them IMO.

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Even knowing the ratios I could careless about worrying about food.  I just eat once in awhile to buy time to finish something.  Rest of the time I go find a bear to kill me or jump off the ship.  Less time involved AFAIK. 

This.  I probably wouldn't mind it so much in PvE, but in PvP, much of this survival nonsense just isn't needed.  Once again, I am so happy that Star Citizen, which will require you to eat, drink, sleep and use the restroom, is not going to make it like a survival game.  The community was very happy about that.  Just stop into a cafeteria once or twice a day, and you are good.  More there as added realism, than some mechanic that must be managed frequently.

42 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Man, you really hate having that very nice vitamin perk don't you.

It seems like the vitamin perk goes away a lot faster now, though.  I consciously try to keep it up, mainly for the fort boost which helps weather the ridiculously hot heat waves we get sometimes (61 C, anyone?  Love that tropical breeze!).  I get concentrated on something for 10 minutes, and it's gone.  Then takes 10 more minutes out of whatever I am doing to get the right stuff from the house/ship (food spoils crazy fast), eat it slowly, because of the arrows blocking the increase, balance the quantities, accidentally overeat, run around to get it back down so I can finish balancing, then the boost just starts creeping up and I go back to what I was doing, probably loosing health to heat in the meantime.  Seems like it takes longer for it to creep back up to the boost then it does to lose it again.

36 minutes ago, gadefence said:

I would rather it not be a part of the game.  PvP games don't need many overly complicated things.  Things like that reduce PvP skill as the deciding factor in battle.  Honestly, there are mechanics in this game that are going to drive new groups away from this game, very quickly.  Imagine a few months after it goes live, and most of the megas are running around with no less than Legendary ship parts and cannons...armor and weapons...and all of it nearly maxed out by the crow, dolphin and respec into knowledge.  Then some poor souls decide that they would like to come here as a company, and try out the game.  So they build a few brigs, and a Galleon, and end up running into one Mythical Battle Brig that sinks their whole fleet.  Yeah, that's going to convince them to stick around, right?  This game will require a noob server, that teaches and allows companies like that to build up, and then allows them to bring everything they gathered, and built, to the regular server.  Otherwise, they won't compete.  A matching service will be needed, where companies try to woo them, and allow them to set up on their island, and ally.

I don't bother with drowning myself, assisted suicide or such anymore.  Just step into a fire.  Done, respawn, carry on.  I do like to "roleplay" the eating of food and will sometimes break a couple of axes to force my hunger up so I can actually balance my diet..

If you are a new player, the system works pretty much as intended.  You go out, you harvest, you exhaust yourself, you eat.

But when you're an advanced player, using tames, using galleons, taming animals, sinking ships in pve for example.  You don't exhaust yourself.  You overeat and if overeating doesn't get you then undereating will.

There is no survivial game aspect to it.  It's a boring, tired system that on paper sounds great, but in game.. is basially ignored by the majority, who just bypass even using food. 

Yes you can balance your diet with some effort.  You can sprint around on ships, take turns taming with a friend and sprint around, bashing stones for no reason other than to exhaust yourself.. but why bother? Is that what you think a survival game is? Being mindlessly driven to grind for totally pointless reasons?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gadefence said:

I've never noticed it.  Sure I see the icon, but I've never seen a difference in game.  I don't really care.  If I am doing something important I am freshly reborn again anyway so my vitamins are all balanced.  I don't live long enough most of the time for my vitamins to become unbalanced. 

Edited by DocHolliday