Sign in to follow this  
Captain Trenchard

NOBODY WANTS TO SET UP ON SOMEONE ELSES LAND!

I don't disagree that the current system needs more work, or that it's not the best route they could have taken, especially for PvE.

That said, if the question is "why the devs are so obssesed with imposing a lord system,"

Claim What's Yours

Form a company, claim territory and apply taxation and behavior rules to that which you own: be a benevolent governor, a feudal lord, or a ruthless dictator.

That has been on the Steam game description since the game was announced, and it's not a long leap of logic to assume that if you're not one of the governors/lords/dictators then you would be one of the people living under them.

I've been aware of the direction they want to take the game since before I bought it, not the exact details but the general direction. I liked what I read and believed their vision was a good one so I bought it.

And I still think it's a great vision, it's just the implementation that's not so great. But Grapeshot has shown a willingness to change even the core mechanics of the game based on feedback so I think it's highly unlikely that what we'll have at release is the system we have now.

Edited by Kidori

3 hours ago, Kidori said:

I don't disagree that the current system needs more work, or that it's not the best route they could have taken, especially for PvE.

That said, if the question is "why the devs are so obssesed with imposing a lord system,"

That has been on the Steam game description since the game was announced, and it's not a long leap of logic to assume that if you're not one of the governors/lords/dictators then you would be one of the people living under them.

I've been aware of the direction they want to take the game since before I bought it, not the exact details but the general direction. I liked what I read and believed their vision was a good one so I bought it.

And I still think it's a great vision, it's just the implementation that's not so great. But Grapeshot has shown a willingness to change even the core mechanics of the game based on feedback so I think it's highly unlikely that what we'll have at release is the system we have now.

The things i think they were thinking of PvP when writing that, because you can at least on PvP say, "screw this landlord or as a pirate pillage",  gather a group to take them out, potentially reinstating someone worth while or keeping the island lord free and make it a pirate stronghold.

In PvE, there's nothing you can do, it's put up or shut up and i think that's the overall thing people dislike, being placed in a situation they don't really have much of an option, on top of that, people can mess with your stuff or bully you into what they want with zero ways of retaliating. 

Overall there seems to not much thought on, how will this work with PvE?

Imho, leave this on PvP and place the old system with limits on PvE

I came back to Atlas to check out the new claim system.  Our company is small, only 3 players, but all of us used to put time and effort into the game.  Before the wipe we had a small spot on a lawless server where we were able to build boats and get set up for exploring.   We did the grind and our whole intention was to find that coveted "spot to claim".  I don't remember how long, but after weeks we finally found a spot that allowed us each to put down a flag and we were happy with our own little spot.  Since the wipe we first joined EU PvE because of course there was no NA PvE for whatever reason.  We sailed about and couldn't find a small enough island to claim for ourselves as most were just out of reach for our small company in terms of "claiming points".  So we settled on lawless because "Nobody wants to settle on someone else's land".  Last night with the final PvE launch we all rushed to get set up and sail off, spending time and effort to collect flotsams on the way so we'd have enough gold to claim a small island and get started.  Anyway, we show up at the island, set our flag down and believe we have it made.  The game allowed us to set the claim flag, allowed us to believe we were all good.  Then we set off starting to build and get ready to grind for the rest of the gold we needed to maintain our island.  But, alas it wasn't to be.  Someone had set up a flag 6 minutes prior on the opposite side.  It was too late.  In the end we lost our gold for the claim.  Lost our hours of work for the island and then logging in this morning the group decided to destroy our shipyard and storage box we built trying to get a bigger ship to sail off.  

What a game, what a game.  

• Sad 2

19 hours ago, DannyUK said:

I would guess at it changing again in a couple of months to something else, maybe giving people want they wanted in certain number of flags to put down on land.

i am hoping it will as are no doubt many other pve players 

Same, before the wipe my group (7 of us ) had 3 claims bunched together.  Took us along time to find any land to do that.   Now we get back on, and its even more of a piss poor claim system. The other 6 in my group said "Nope" not coming back that mess.  I am not going to be playing this game solo either. Claiming should not be in the game (PvE) if you paid for the game like everyone else and cannot get a claim. I cant speak for PvP since I have not played on those servers.

2 hours ago, Quon said:

Same, before the wipe my group (7 of us ) had 3 claims bunched together.  Took us along time to find any land to do that.   Now we get back on, and its even more of a piss poor claim system. The other 6 in my group said "Nope" not coming back that mess.  I am not going to be playing this game solo either. Claiming should not be in the game (PvE) if you paid for the game like everyone else and cannot get a claim. I cant speak for PvP since I have not played on those servers.

but u know what ? the devs think their new system is working  according to their latest captains log , can they not see that lawless regions are still the most popular areas to setup ?, are they so blind that they cannot see that players want thier own little areas free from any form of landlord that can remove anything they place within 24hrs if they so feel. ?

what makes the devs think that their new idea is better than what the majority of players are showing via the areas they setup and build and play ,?

remove the claim as it is, give players back the old system with hard limits per player/ company then maybe they will see a lot more of the map being populated .

Edited by UDO
  • Like 1