Sign in to follow this  
Captain Trenchard

NOBODY WANTS TO SET UP ON SOMEONE ELSES LAND!

Doesn't apply to all companies. We encourage people to settle in our Island, Farm resources , Build house or whatever they like.

I dunno, we have about 4 companies at our island even on PvP server.

28 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I travelled to another island last night, mainly for taming elephants but I needed salt also so I thought i'd put a small hut down with bed in it and cupboard. 2 guys came running over, I said hello and he said nothing. I said can I place a small hut here please? He was the owner or part of the company who owns it. He said you have 24hrs only, in other words I wasn't allowed to stay outside of his demolish time.

This is the exact reason I never settled on those islands in the first place, I went to lawless because some people, not all, they don't want you to build on "their" island, they want it "all" for themselves. So I take what I can and move on to the next island I suppose. Most of the flag islands now you won't be able to put a small hut down for resources or to store things, they will just remove the lot. 

You encountered people who don't want anyone on their island. Its rare but it happens. But they still allowed you to build your hut AND tame elephants if u were interested. Fair enough.

To be honest they have nothing from you. Maybe if u would settle there, farm, build etc. you would be more interesting for them via taxes and lowering upkeep. But taming hut?

Edited by Willard

Well all I can say is don't settle on J5 Mulwall Island, the company Compagnie Des Indes removed our taming pen before we got the chance to tame anything. So just giving people the heads up if you arrive there, go with caution.

We got a pretty big island with a lot of resources and place for a bunch of settlers. 

If they ask, we explain friendly our rules and usually they're building the taming areas etc and do their stuff. All are happy.

If they don't ask and build up their structures too close or in our little village, they have to wonder about, where their stuff is gone.

As easy as it is.

We won the island-race and pay now the island upkeep. That give us the rights to keep our place clean.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, usescan said:

Doesn't apply to all companies. We encourage people to settle in our Island, Farm resources , Build house or whatever they like.

lovely players that paid the same as u for the game , are glad and privaliged that you LET them build on the island that you claimed as you were faster out the gate than others .. 

this system is rubbish , but we as players are making the most of it , but a lot of players are either in lawless or on the larger islands that have yet to be claimed , living day to day wondering if they will log in one day to see the large island they built on claimed and their bases gone .......

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, UDO said:

lovely players that paid the same as u for the game , are glad and privaliged that you LET them build on the island that you claimed as you were faster out the gate than others .. 

this system is rubbish , but we as players are making the most of it , but a lot of players are either in lawless or on the larger islands that have yet to be claimed , living day to day wondering if they will log in one day to see the large island they built on claimed and their bases gone .......

This "I paid the same money as you" argument never gets old. Basically it means "I am worse and much lazier player than you but I want to have the same as you do" 🙂

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, Cantore said:

3) You get to DO more when you have a bigger group. If you want to stay back and build, you do it. If you want to go treasure hunting, you do it. There's ALWAYS something that the group is doing at that moment, and you get to choose which you would enjoy more. On the opposite spectrum, as a solo player, you have to do EVERYTHING... even the stuff you don't want to do as much - like the grindy stuff.

4) It's an MMO, so it needs to play as one. People need to be with people. That's really the point of an MMO.

5) The issues that plagued this game before were that solo players who sailed on opening night would claim a whole island, and then never show up to play, or to let anyone else play on their island. Thus the wipe. I certainly don't want that issue again!

6) Players who actually HAVE the team to support the island upkeep SHOULD have the island. Think of it like owning a factory. If I'm a business owner (like an island owner), if I've invested in the upkeep and management of the business, I should reap the rewards too.

There's nothing stopping any solo player from playing the game to their own personal maximum limitation. Either way, without some form of a team, they can't beat the game anyhow.

I think you've mistaken solo players for "players who want to play alone".  Most of the solo players will tell you that they enjoy making friends as they go along and working with them to do things in the game.   Just because a person doesn't want to join a company doesn't mean they are not playing the game with other players.  Half the things solos have complained about with this game have to do with the game mechanics making that very difficult to do.

• Like 1

All I see is a bunch of whining and crying from some trollbabies. Listen kiddos, the world doesn't revolve around you like your helicopter parent's taught you. Learn to play with others and take things as they are while working to promote positive change.

Also, I never said the game was without flaws. It has plenty of flaws. Our company finds them daily and report them to the Developers. Things are being fixed and worked on more than you know.

If you don't like it, go find another sand box to play with and let the people that are trying to be constructive continue to test the game and have fun.

Also, correlating the drop in population to the current claim system is a complete fail. The drop in population happened PRIOR to the current claim system. It was due to the wipe announcement and then the corresponding delay. If you look at the the numbers since March, the peak was 9,331 in March and within the last 30 days it has risen to 12,298. I also know that some people are waiting until the NA PvE server is released to come back and test the new system. So, saying that 50% of people don't want to settle on someone else's land is completely false.

• Like 1

I can see the claim system changing again slightly because it just doesn't work right now. Nobody is going to come off lawless and leave their homes to live on flag islands, they will have the fear of being evicted within 24hrs.

Costs nothing to be nice to someone who comes to an island to tame for example, I'd be willing to give something in return but I don't take kindly to someone who just removes your taming pen when they've said you have 24hrs to tame, log in 8 hours later and it's all gone without warning.

People like that are not nice people, I mean in our grid we have limited gems and I was lucky enough to build right next to a big high rock that has gems on it. I built ladders to the top with a cliff platform and left a sign with "access to gems, free for all" that's the sort of thing I like to see, help each other out. I've known people who have blocked all gems off which isn't nice to see but some people just don't like to help one another which is a shame.

7 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

I think you've mistaken solo players for "players who want to play alone".  Most of the solo players will tell you that they enjoy making friends as they go along and working with them to do things in the game.   Just because a person doesn't want to join a company doesn't mean they are not playing the game with other players.  Half the things solos have complained about with this game have to do with the game mechanics making that very difficult to do.

If what you want is to meet people and just work with them, then I don't understand the problem with meeting some people and just living on their island. The only ways to do that are just to: 
A) Meet people in here.
B) Sail in your starter sloop, and post in public chat, and find an out-going group that is friendly in your travels.

Think of it this way. If I live in an isolated hick town, I don't just sit in the hick town and expect the communication technology to get better before I go out and meet the love of my life. I just either:
A) Meet people online
B) Go somewhere else and meet people.

Edited by Cantore
  • Like 2

OK so do we have any island owners looking for permanent residents in the K's Tundra sections area? 

I've settled on the NE island in K13 to come in to half my base destroyed this morning and my tames either killed or left to die by the local wildlife. Apparently they were unable to destroy the whole base as it was present for more than 24 hours before they claimed the island? If this is true is it safe to settle on islands not claimed as long as someone doesn't claim it while your in the building process?

Either way would prefer to settle in a place I am welcome without worries. 

11 minutes ago, Cantore said:

If what you want is to meet people and just work with them, then I don't understand the problem with meeting some people and just living on their island. The only ways to do that are just to: 
A) Meet people in here.
B) Sail in your starter sloop, and post in public chat, and find an out-going group that is friendly in your travels.

Think of it this way. If I live in an isolated hick town, I don't just sit in the hick town and expect the communication technology to get better before I go out and meet the love of my life. I just either:
A) Meet people online
B) Go somewhere else and meet people.

That's not "what I want to do".  That's is how I'm telling you solo players play.  We go along doing our thing, and run into people we like, and a group forms and we hang out together in the game.  You seem to think people who aren't in companies never group up to do anything, can't do this content or that content.  That they play all alone never speaking to anyone.  All the solos in the forums keep telling everyone that's not how it works, but nobody listens.  It's got nothing to do with hick towns and not getting out enough.  Everything to do with game mechanics that don't support groups.

There are many problems with trying to do this in the game.  Until recently, you couldn't board each other's boats, for example.  The alliance system provides you all a way to communicate with each other, but it also needs to allow a much wider range of permissions for anything lockable.    How do you all get together to build some big building when only one of you has access to the storage cabinet.  (Without having to risk the pin code hackers).    Having the alliance chat works again for pve now, but damn, it's a struggle trying to get even the devs to understand how that's used and why it's needed.  It just shows that nobody really understands or considers solo or small group play, even when they say they want to.

7 hours ago, Sydhart said:

saying that 50% of people don't want to settle on someone else's land is completely false.

prove it? or you just have a big mouth? where are your sources? you go around asking "where is your source in other posts " and then i find you talking without one? hypocrite

43 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

That's not "what I want to do".  That's is how I'm telling you solo players play.  We go along doing our thing, and run into people we like, and a group forms and we hang out together in the game.  You seem to think people who aren't in companies never group up to do anything, can't do this content or that content.  That they play all alone never speaking to anyone.  All the solos in the forums keep telling everyone that's not how it works, but nobody listens.  It's got nothing to do with hick towns and not getting out enough.  Everything to do with game mechanics that don't support groups.

There are many problems with trying to do this in the game.  Until recently, you couldn't board each other's boats, for example.  The alliance system provides you all a way to communicate with each other, but it also needs to allow a much wider range of permissions for anything lockable.    How do you all get together to build some big building when only one of you has access to the storage cabinet.  (Without having to risk the pin code hackers).    Having the alliance chat works again for pve now, but damn, it's a struggle trying to get even the devs to understand how that's used and why it's needed.  It just shows that nobody really understands or considers solo or small group play, even when they say they want to.

sadly this game is not directed to solo play at all, not even in PvE wich to be honest is weird, you could advance several times faster in a group of 5 than solo, hell you could even play casually and just show up the day of your company's quests or events like kraken and achieve everything the game has to offer. as of now only pvp servers can offer some kind of entertainment and only if in a group.

2 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

sadly this game is not directed to solo play at all, not even in PvE wich to be honest is weird, 

It's even weirder because the devs have said more than once that it's a play style they support.

3 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

you could advance several times faster in a group of 5 than solo, hell you could even play casually and just show up the day of your company's quests or events like kraken and achieve everything the game has to offer.

Just because you're a solo player doesn't mean you don't play in groups.

Solo players want the ability to own a piece of land.  They want to be able to share resources and crafted items with their friends.  They want to be able to communicate with each other so they can group up and do things.  The game hasn't made any of those things very easy.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

It's even weirder because the devs have said more than once that it's a play style they support.

Just because you're a solo player doesn't mean you don't play in groups.

Solo players want the ability to own a piece of land.  They want to be able to share resources and crafted items with their friends.  They want to be able to communicate with each other so they can group up and do things.  The game hasn't made any of those things very easy.

indeed, and to be honest i doubt they will anytime soon, 4 months after release and we dont even have a stablished set of core mechanics yet, if the game was not directly linked to my steam acc i would just sell it to someone else.

16 hours ago, Willard said:

This "I paid the same money as you" argument never gets old. Basically it means "I am worse and much lazier player than you but I want to have the same as you do" 🙂

not at all , it means u got there before others who maybe didnt manage to log on at server launch as they were at work or in a time zone that was different and were in bed asleep , ..

its not about being lazy its about a system that work well in pvp , but isnt really suited to pve in this game , no other player should have the ability to deny anyone building anything they want , or if they start to expand the island owner decides i dont like his new tame pen or the new tower , and decides to demo it .. 

pvp this system works well as u can just declare war take over the offending players island ,pve nothing you can do about dick island owners that as we saw in the first claim system just want all the toys in the sandbox to themselfs ..

7 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

prove it? or you just have a big mouth? where are your sources? you go around asking "where is your source in other posts " and then i find you talking without one? hypocrite

look at lawless population compared to the other grids , most lawless areas at peak times have 2-3 times more players then the other grids , so yes a very very large percentage of the player population does indeed not want to settle on islands fully owned by other 

bring back the old system with limit on flags , 

Edited by UDO
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, UDO said:

look at lawless population compared to the other grids , most lawless areas at peak times have 2-3 times more players then the other grids , so yes a very very large percentage of the player population does indeed not want to settle on islands fully owned by other 

bring back the old system with limit on flags , 

Either they did not look or did not care,  Its quite obvious that PvE players do not want to be landlords or tenants.    They want there own land.    The old claim system with limits and upkeep, or all lawless is much better fit for PvE.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, UDO said:

indeed, i dont understand why devs are so obssesed with imposing a lord system.

29 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

Because they want us to keep the spam off the islands. It takes one more thing off their hands. And now,  they can blame it on bad settlement owners.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

Because that's a part of their vision for the game, and we were told about it before any of us purchased the game.

44 minutes ago, Kidori said:

Because that's a part of their vision for the game, and we were told about it before any of us purchased the game.

except at no point did it say one person would own entire islands , or have ability to remove whatt they dont like within 24hrs of being placed pvp fine pve doesnt work 

• Like 1

No it i a system i am not in favor of and don't want to touch any official servers right now.

I want a true PVE experience,i do NOT as i am sure others do not want to be some other players puppet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kidori said:

I respect them having a vision for the game, BUT they never gave the details about the claiming system, so they failed (intentionally?) to give us the full idea of what they actually wanted the game to be in the future, i can guarantee you that if they had said islands would have 1 owner who could on a whim destroy your estructures if he wanted or that there would be a decay system i would have never bought the game

59 minutes ago, zubov56 said:

No it i a system i am not in favor of and don't want to touch any official servers right now.

I want a true PVE experience,i do NOT as i am sure others do not want to be some other players puppet.

Lawless is where the real PvE is, all i've seen is people helping each other but yes you get the odd few who want to block off resources or whatever but I certainly wouldn't want to be living on a flag island.

It's tailored to large companies, I would guess at it changing again in a couple of months to something else, maybe giving people want they wanted in certain number of flags to put down on land.

• Like 1