Sign in to follow this  
Captain Trenchard

NOBODY WANTS TO SET UP ON SOMEONE ELSES LAND!

Attention Devs!!!!

THIS!!!

Here we have a company who’s claimed an island and is ADVERTISING for other players to come there. Why? Because almost NOBODY WANTS TO SET UP ON SOMEONE ELSES LAND!  Your “new” claim system offers absolutely no reason at all settle on claimed territory. The only benefit is to the owner in PVE!!!!!

Nice ad by the way. Except every island has resources. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Captain Trenchard said:

Attention Devs!!!!

THIS!!!

Here we have a company who’s claimed an island and is ADVERTISING for other players to come there. Why? Because almost NOBODY WANTS TO SET UP ON SOMEONE ELSES LAND!  Your “new” claim system offers absolutely no reason at all settle on claimed territory. The only benefit is to the owner in PVE!!!!!

There are things an owner can do to make the island more attractive.    Public Taming traps, ladders to hard to reach places that contain gems, some safe housing to get away from predditors, maps/signs showing where the resources are,, and working to keep the island spam-free.      

THe location he has is a primo one, temperate so can grow any crop.  one grid away from east tundra, high desert and two from low desert and west tundra ans as close to polar as you can get without being in tundra.,

While I do not like the island ownership model, this owner is they type of owner that would make it work.  more power to the OP.      A friendly owner is preferable to lawless, however more owners will think they are friendly than actually are.

• Like 3

While I don’t disagree with any of that, it misses the point. Ask the OP WHY they claimed an island in the first place? The answer will probably be something along the lines of they wanted to be self reliant, wanted to be master of their own fate, wanted to have the ‘best thing’ in the game (winning so to speak).

People can’t claim an island cannot have those things... they are forced to settle for less. People who play games don’t want to settle for less... there’s enough of that in real life. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Captain Trenchard said:

While I don’t disagree with any of that, it misses the point. Ask the OP WHY they claimed an island in the first place? The answer will probably be something along the lines of they wanted to be self reliant, wanted to be master of their own fate, wanted to have the ‘best thing’ in the game (winning so to speak).

People can’t claim an island cannot have those things... they are forced to settle for less. People who play games don’t want to settle for less... there’s enough of that in real life. 

Absolutely correct, but this is the best scenario with current ruleset.    I hope that an improved version of claiming is on NA PvP, or it just becomes all lawless.

It is not true. We had 17 settlers at our island just now. It is always about style of playing. We play peacefully and peoples coming here.

17 hours ago, UDO said:

i might check this out when i get back from work later which island is it ? 

K4 claimed big island.

14 hours ago, Captain Trenchard said:

Attention Devs!!!!

THIS!!!

Got a small island on H5 (36 points), I have ~5 companies + mine on it.
Same on other islands near me, a lot of people come to owned island.

My settlers are really happy, cuz we work together, we got a discord to speak, when someone make an expedition, he takes things for other during his journey.

When Owner and Settlers work together, the system is just awesome ^^

• Like 1

1 hour ago, globytheoldpirate said:

My settlers are really happy, cuz we work together, we got a discord to speak, when someone make an expedition, he takes things for other during his journey.

while i am glad to read thats your case i am pretty sure thats not everyones case, not even 50% of the population's case, sadly.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, The D Legacy said:

while i am glad to read thats your case i am pretty sure thats not everyones case, not even 50% of the population's case, sadly.

Source?

I'm quite happy to be a tenant, the island we aimed for had a cost higher than our company had. When someone turned up and claimed the island, i just asked if our being here would be ok, they said yes. It's been fine ever since.

+1 for current system, Needs a few tweeks in my opinion but good so far.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

Yeah, I'd like to see your source on this as well.

My company owns a 53 point island and we have multiple settlers on it. We also have outposts on others settled islands for resources that we need and move resources back and forth for trade. Overall, I think the island owning part is coming along very nicely  in most cases. 

The lawless part on the other hand, well, they need to figure out a better decay/upkeep system. The pillar and foundation spam in some areas is horrendous. You don't need to "own'" a big area in lawless. You need to be able to build a spot for yourself and not have some a$$hole grief you by building right on top of you. I'm sure they could figure out some way that for each connected piece, you get a larger area of influence where people can build around you. For pieces not connected, they should have an upkeep/repair cost or degrade over time or something.

18 hours ago, Captain Trenchard said:

Attention Devs!!!!

THIS!!!

Just watch, soon you will see some even worse ideas to force people to join that system, that they want no part of.

Thanks @Jerryn!

1 hour ago, Jack Shandy said:

I have to agree.  It needs a few tweaks to make it so that tenants have more "say" on if a land-owner can keep the island but I find the new system to be fairly good so far.

And I was someone that got screwed by it with a shitty land-owner in the beginning that decided to run around the island right after claiming it and pop into everyone's bases that he could and take all their stuff.  I lost two bookcases of Bloops and a fully stocked Resource Bin that I had put down the previous day.  T'was a bad time.

4 hours ago, globytheoldpirate said:

None of that requires an owner.  We had a lot of that happening, among equals sharing an island with claims.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Thanks @Jerryn!

I have to agree.  It needs a few tweaks to make it so that tenants have more "say" on if a land-owner can keep the island but I find the new system to be fairly good so far.

And I was someone that got screwed by it with a shitty land-owner in the beginning that decided to run around the island right after claiming it and pop into everyone's bases that he could and take all their stuff.  I lost two bookcases of Bloops and a fully stocked Resource Bin that I had put down the previous day.  T'was a bad time.

What if that happened again on the next island you tried?  And the one after that?  Would you still just want a few tweaks?  I'd want to toss that system in the trash, maybe even after the first time.

For some land owners have more choice on who settles on your land would be a good thing.at the moment if someone is a problem rude etc or if someone just wants to use your island for taking the resource and manages to get a bed down then it can deprive island residents of needed resources.these types tend to time the respawn of the nodes and just continuously farm it before anyone can get near. this can be a problem especially if they put down and it is not found within the 20Hrs so i think Land owners need more ability to be able to evict toxic people of thier land.after all they are farming the gold and doing the work to keep the island good.Yes some landowners can be tyrants but so can settlers who are not respectful to the owners land and do not check to see if it is ok to settle or if the island is at max capacity to support the people living on it

3 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Source?

I'm quite happy to be a tenant, the island we aimed for had a cost higher than our company had. When someone turned up and claimed the island, i just asked if our being here would be ok, they said yes. It's been fine ever since.

if you are talking about the 50% data thats just the equilibrium average as to not have biased opinion. however if i were to state my sources the 50% point of equilibrium would actually be quite less than 50%, specially taking 2 considerations, one: the fact that out of all the core systems the game has the claiming system is the most important one by far, and second: out of 60k people who bought the game only 13k keeps playing it (23%) so even if 100% of the current active players were happy with the current system (wich is not the case) that still means only 23% of the total player base likes the current system, ofc there is several more considerations to be taken, but hell if i am gonna waste my time writing it all here.

Edited by The D Legacy

1 hour ago, Sydhart said:

Yeah, I'd like to see your source on this as well.

My company owns a 53 point island and we have multiple settlers on it. We also have outposts on others settled islands for resources that we need and move resources back and forth for trade. Overall, I think the island owning part is coming along very nicely  in most cases. 

The lawless part on the other hand, well, they need to figure out a better decay/upkeep system. The pillar and foundation spam in some areas is horrendous. You don't need to "own'" a big area in lawless. You need to be able to build a spot for yourself and not have some a$$hole grief you by building right on top of you. I'm sure they could figure out some way that for each connected piece, you get a larger area of influence where people can build around you. For pieces not connected, they should have an upkeep/repair cost or degrade over time or something.

i am not gonna write it all over again, i replied to him already, feel free to read that response.

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

What if that happened again on the next island you tried?  And the one after that?  Would you still just want a few tweaks?  I'd want to toss that system in the trash, maybe even after the first time.

What if the next island I went to didn't have a land-owner and someone sails in while I'm logged off and decides that he doesn't like that I'm on the beach he wants and surrounds my little hut with thatch walls so I'm forced to give up and leave or quit the game?

With the land-owner system I take a bit of a risk that he might destroy my stuff in the first 24 hours, but I can easily take a couple minor precautions (like don't keep all my important resources and bloops in freshly made storage until after the 24 hour period) and talk to them or leave some mail/notes for them.   In trade I should be protected from people building on important resource points, walling me in to grief me into quitting, or foundation spamming 1/4 of the island to "claim" territory.

It needs some tweaking (like I said) so that running tenants off the island has a more significant impact on whether a company can even maintain ownership, and I'd like it if they could maybe figure out some new way of calculating Company points.  I get where they are coming from with the thought that a large company should be able to maintain and manage larger islands, but Company size shouldn't be as impactful on points as much as Company Activity.  Like a 3 person Company where 2 members play 5+ hours a day should have as many points as a 10 person Company who only has 6 active members that play maybe 1 hour a night.      Company Size =/= Company Activity

We started a base on H5 Euro PVE. We didnt have the membership to claim the isle nor the 244 gold a day to keep it so we planned on just staying. A company came in, claimed it and raised the taxes to 20%. I live in NY and pay that kinda tax already so I know enough to leave before it gets bad. So we are now in lawless. So the exact island we had a small part of pre-wipe that we had a 10% tax rate on that we had our own claim was taken away due to the new crappy claim system is now owned by someone else that is Cuomo'ing us into leaving. The devs ruined their own game. Now we are in lawless, there is no point really in playing and we are most likely fading out of this game. Congrats Grapeshot, your poor planning, poor communication and piss poor game redesign has killed your game before you even got out of EA. 

29 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

With the land-owner system I take a bit of a risk that he might destroy my stuff in the first 24 hours, but I can easily take a couple minor precautions (like don't keep all my important resources and bloops in freshly made storage until after the 24 hour period) and talk to them or leave some mail/notes for them.   In trade I should be protected from people building on important resource points, walling me in to grief me into quitting, or foundation spamming 1/4 of the island to "claim" territory.

Yeah, but that's 24 hours for each storage, each piece of each building, etc.  People keep talking about it like once they've been on the island for 24 hours, everything's good, but that's not how it works.  You could be there a month, go to build a taming pen, and the landlord decides you're taking up too much area, and it's gone.  Not might be a big deal to some people, I guess, but it would bug me having to wait out a timer every time I built something new.

I like the idea of basing claims partly on activity, but you need to be careful with that other idea.  There are really good reasons for running some tenants off the island, and people may get pretty unhappy with a ruler who lets anybody at all set up a base there.

Individual claims with limits are just a much better idea.  They foster more frequent land turnover for one thing, they remove the threat of what landlords might do, and if they're done right, they prevent people from blocking you in and building too close to you.  Just look at all the work-arounds people are trying to come up with to make the island claim thing work, complicating things to the point where it becomes some sort of Rube Goldberg construction, when all anybody wants is just a big enough piece of land to do their stuff, without interference from players who may or may not be jerks.

2 hours ago, The D Legacy said:

i am not gonna write it all over again, i replied to him already, feel free to read that response.

So basically you're just making up statistics that aren't based on any facts to further your own agenda and crying game? You should just stop now.

43 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Individual claims with limits are just a much better idea.  They foster more frequent land turnover for one thing, they remove the threat of what landlords might do, and if they're done right, they prevent people from blocking you in and building too close to you.  Just look at all the work-arounds people are trying to come up with to make the island claim thing work, complicating things to the point where it becomes some sort of Rube Goldberg construction, when all anybody wants is just a big enough piece of land to do their stuff, without interference from players who may or may not be jerks.

Ah, but like with the claim system that too has all kinds of downfalls and problems.  First and foremost is the biggest issue,  everyone wants "a big enough piece of land"  but there is no consensus of what is 'big enough'.  You have some people that say they would be happy with one claim spot and others that say they need 5 for their castle and animal stables, then when you start adding Company members it gets even more crazy.

Then comes the next problem ... what do you do when you find out your neighboring company is an asshole that is blocking resources or walled off an entire section of the island?  You can't move, your tied to your flag.  I guess you COULD pull up your 5 flags and move, but where you going to move too?  You'll have to sail around island to island, sector to sector for several hours HOPING to find some random shitty stretch of land where thankfully neighbor A & B spaced their claims out far enough that you can put down 1 of yours.

My situation sucked, but with the current system I have WAY more freedom then I would have had with a claim flag.  My landlord and neighbor was a dick, so I gathered my shit into my boat and left.  I didn't have to go floating island to island scouting the coastlines ... I simply looked at the map, found a couple islands with low taxes a sector over and sailed there.  After talking to a couple people in General Chat for 2min about resources, I decided on one of the islands and then just found an open stretch of beach that wasn't right on top of another Company.

I get the reason why the OP would post this, but I have to say this:
1)  You can't really do end-game content without a lot of people, so it really IS a game of teamwork

2) Like most MMO's, you have more fun when you join a group of like-minded individuals.

3) You get to DO more when you have a bigger group. If you want to stay back and build, you do it. If you want to go treasure hunting, you do it. There's ALWAYS something that the group is doing at that moment, and you get to choose which you would enjoy more. On the opposite spectrum, as a solo player, you have to do EVERYTHING... even the stuff you don't want to do as much - like the grindy stuff.

4) It's an MMO, so it needs to play as one. People need to be with people. That's really the point of an MMO.

5) The issues that plagued this game before were that solo players who sailed on opening night would claim a whole island, and then never show up to play, or to let anyone else play on their island. Thus the wipe. I certainly don't want that issue again!

6) Players who actually HAVE the team to support the island upkeep SHOULD have the island. Think of it like owning a factory. If I'm a business owner (like an island owner), if I've invested in the upkeep and management of the business, I should reap the rewards too.

There's nothing stopping any solo player from playing the game to their own personal maximum limitation. Either way, without some form of a team, they can't beat the game anyhow.

SUGGESTION FOR DEVS:

One thing scaring away a lot of solo players/small groups is the loss risk. Personally, I'd like to see a "Foreclosure" notice given to land owners on someone else's island that could risk losing their stuff if they don't pack up and move. That way the island owner can't just say "tough luck" and destroy a person's work in an hour if they feel like it. The land owner needs SOME control over trolls and turds. But, at the same time, good players shouldn't be penalized so harshly if the island owner is himself/herself a troll or a turd.

Edited by Cantore

23 hours ago, Sydhart said:

So basically you're just making up statistics that aren't based on any facts to further your own agenda and crying game? You should just stop now.

you are very dense arent you? let me draw a map for you:

you need to use steam charts a lil bit more before crying because you are unable to accept the game you like has flaws: https://steamcharts.com/app/834910#All

"So basically you're just making up statistics that aren't based on any facts"--> up to the 60k people who bought the game only 13k is still playing

that on itself is 21.6% wich is quite inferior to the 50% i proposed and that is a fact, it means 78.4% of the people who played the game at some points literally stoped playing

i mean is quite evident that you are the type of person who is dumb enough as to think vaccinations are complot created by the government because if "you cant see it it must be a lie", right? well i am going to have to ask you to keep out civilized conversations if the only arguments you can bring to the table are 15 year old kid's "arguments" --> "to further your own agenda and crying game". for the sake of your own dignity you should stop now before half forum realises the type of person you are.

Edited by The D Legacy

I travelled to another island last night, mainly for taming elephants but I needed salt also so I thought i'd put a small hut down with bed in it and cupboard. 2 guys came running over, I said hello and he said nothing. I said can I place a small hut here please? He was the owner or part of the company who owns it. He said you have 24hrs only, in other words I wasn't allowed to stay outside of his demolish time.

This is the exact reason I never settled on those islands in the first place, I went to lawless because some people, not all, they don't want you to build on "their" island, they want it "all" for themselves. So I take what I can and move on to the next island I suppose. Most of the flag islands now you won't be able to put a small hut down for resources or to store things, they will just remove the lot.