Raine

PvE claim system: what would make you quit?

(1) Abusive Ownership.  
    (a) kicks me off property in favor of a friend
   (b) kicks me off property because I won't farm for him, tame for him, breed for him, etc.  After all, he gets to set those rules.
   (c) destroys or takes anything of mine he wants, punitively or just because he wants it

(2) Sets limits on my building or docking of ships.  But think about this - there is no infinite space so there must be some kind of limits, but this is ripe for favoritism too.  I know I wouldn't want to be the landlord.  It's a painful and thankless job.

(3) Would not give me the opportunity to let allies build near me, which I could do if I had my own land.

In my view, there is too much hassle and griefing potential even on PvE to make this iteration of the Claiming system satisfactory for the majority.  I'd vote for our friendly devs to go back to the drawing board on this one.

What about you guys?  Anything else in the claiming system that would break the game for you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(2) Not enough islands for everyone to get one.  Don't want to be a landlord, and definitely do not want to be a tenant.   

Only option left is lawless, but that is minority of the map.

and I did quit, and uninstalled.    looking for good reason to come back.

• Like 2

I don't know if I will ever play PvE, but in the event that I did, I would likely play unofficial for the cool mods, especially building mods.  Not sure why anyone would want to play PvE in the toxic cesspool that is Official PvE.  What would drive me insane is the pillar and foundation spam, and all the other antisocial BS that goes on.  Who wants to go to islands that are covered in foundations and pillars?  It would look absurd.  Not that the ridiculous walled ports on official are any better.

• Like 2

There aren't enough protections in place.  Why would I want to invest my time and effort into a place where I can be kneecapped at the landlord's whim?

It would make me play a minimalist's game and lose interest very quickly.  Not being a stakeholder by having a claim, makes it easier to toss aside in favor of some other game.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, kampfer91 said:

Just move out of his place , less settler mean he have to pay more for his upkeep .

I think the Op is speaking hypothetically, rather than of an actual landlord he’s dealing with. I could of course be wrong, but that has never happened before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Raine said:

Except when he disagrees with me.  :classic_laugh:

"Every day, at least twenty times a day, I think to myself how right I am, and how wrong others are, and yet, how easy it is to be right."

Clemmons Von Meternick

16 hours ago, Raine said:

In my view, there is too much hassle and griefing potential even on PvE to make this iteration of the Claiming system satisfactory for the majority.  I'd vote for our friendly devs to go back to the drawing board on this one.

What about you guys?  Anything else in the claiming system that would break the game for you?

I was against the new system as soon as they announced but I did wait to get a feel for it. Unfortunately, it breaks the game for me. If I play pure PvE I want to have absolute control over with whom, when and if I decide to interact with others. If I don't get that, might as well play PvP in which case EvE is a better game imo. Anyway I got my money's worth in the couple of hundred hours played so I uninstalled the game completely. I do hope they revert back to a tweaked (as in no overlap and limited flags) old claim system but even if they don't, it's all good.

well, on PVE, no islands to claim at all

you force people to join tribes so they have a settlement

only big islands left, nothing to claim because no points left, even for bigger tribes 15+ ppl

on pvp you got megatribes in allys, i wonder why empires server even exists. so you can guess what will happen soon.

it's broken, i want a wipe with old flag system but limit the flags, one flag per member, three for tribe, but noooo........ now we have this

better you do a single player button. to save the numbers.

Unofficial servers are the way to go as far as I'm concerned.  My experience is that getting into a good community is the best experience; always.  Official servers are like the armpit of the gaming community with survival games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, photek said:

it's broken, i want a wipe with old flag system but limit the flags, one flag per member, three for tribe, but noooo........ now we have this

Really, how fucking hard is it to do this simple and correctly.

I suggested this over and over.

1 flag per person, 1to 3 for a company.

2-3 beds per person, can only use you own beds.

Little else needed to be changed from how it was to fix it.

Im not even saying what we have now is broken. Just an unnecessary route to go with.

I don't feel like you guys have given this a fair shot, we claimed a mid sized island for our group of about 12, people can build here, if we don't like it we can talk to the builder and or simply remove it, the tax is added by the game and no longer by the player, so you don't lose resources to the taxation.... You can build little bases on every island if you want....I think this system is winning, now if only I could log in to enjoy the game 😞

7 hours ago, Fae Killgrave said:

I don't feel like you guys have given this a fair shot, we claimed a mid sized island for our group of about 12, people can build here,...I think this system is winning, now if only I could log in to enjoy the game 😞

If you're one of the 1% who own an island, you always think you're winning.  Most will never own an island and are at the mercy of whomever does own it.  It's like PvP in that you can be wiped at any time without warning.  I don't see much difference between the current design and Medieval European social structure.  It doesn't sit well with most contemporary game players.  

Limiting claims to 1 flag per person, with a predetermined claim size does several  things.  It gives the individual player a stake in the game.  It incentivizes players to find like-minded players to team up with and create small groups for a little larger claim.  And cap the number of claims any one tribe can have.  

Alternatively, have certain grids use the new whole-island-claim system and alternate grids use a one-claim-per-player structure.  If I were a developer, I would want to deploy both systems and see what happens.  Would most smaller groups/solo players flock to the one-claim-flag-apiece grids?  Would larger companies grab whole islands and employ a nobility v. vassals social structure?  I don't know, but since this is about Grapeshot testing the development waters for the next year-and-a-half, why not cast the net wide and see what they fish up?

• Like 2

The new system is great.

We are tenants on an island we could not afford and have been here since day 1. A group came along and claimed the island on day 3, wen't and met them, they were nice people, we told them we were at a particular beach, they were fine with that and the only rule they had was not to pillar / foundation spam.

We have expanded our base and are farming for a new dock.

They could demo our stuff, but they won't.

We could pillar / foundation spam, but we won't

We could build huge ugly gate walls blocking resources and routes around the island, but we won't

because they are not dicks and nor are we.

We are situated in a very nice spot, good resources, good tames. 4 different biomes within 2 grids of travel giving easy access to farm for good BP's.

This is a pirate themed game, and this system fits well within that. Claimed Islands with governors and lawless islands.

And for those who's ego's get in the way of ever having someone above them on the ladder "grow up".

• Like 3

All these "potentionally griefing" discussions ... Meanwhile in reality 90% of island owners are happy they got someone on their island and they behave completely fine.

6 hours ago, Raine said:

If you're one of the 1% who own an island, you always think you're winning.  Most will never own an island and are at the mercy of whomever does own it.  It's like PvP in that you can be wiped at any time without warning.  I don't see much difference between the current design and Medieval European social structure.  It doesn't sit well with most contemporary game players.  

Limiting claims to 1 flag per person, with a predetermined claim size does several  things.  It gives the individual player a stake in the game.  It incentivizes players to find like-minded players to team up with and create small groups for a little larger claim.  And cap the number of claims any one tribe can have.  

Alternatively, have certain grids use the new whole-island-claim system and alternate grids use a one-claim-per-player structure.  If I were a developer, I would want to deploy both systems and see what happens.  Would most smaller groups/solo players flock to the one-claim-flag-apiece grids?  Would larger companies grab whole islands and employ a nobility v. vassals social structure?  I don't know, but since this is about Grapeshot testing the development waters for the next year-and-a-half, why not cast the net wide and see what they fish up?

How can u be wiped every moment on PvE? This seems to me you talk too much on forums and don't know the actual game mechanics.

Edited by Willard

On 4/17/2019 at 12:18 AM, José Gaspar said:

(2) Not enough islands for everyone to get one.  Don't want to be a landlord, and definitely do not want to be a tenant.   

Only option left is lawless, but that is minority of the map.

and I did quit, and uninstalled.    looking for good reason to come back.

Do you know what you want? You don't want to own the island, you don't want to be tenant on the island and you don't want to live on lawless 😄 are you sure u want to play this type of game?

Edited by Willard

1 hour ago, Willard said:

Do you know what you want? You don't want to own the island, you don't want to be tenant on the island and you don't want to live on lawless 😄 are you sure u want to play this type of game?

Yes,  I want an area I can build where I can not worry about being blocked in or walled off.

The complaint is there is not enough lawless grids,  The population of lawless grids is now over double of claimable grids, Lawless grids actually have growing player numbers, while claim grids are dropping.

While I would like a claim, there are not enough islands to every small group to have one.

21 minutes ago, José Gaspar said:

Yes,  I want an area I can build where I can not worry about being blocked in or walled off.

The complaint is there is not enough lawless grids,  The population of lawless grids is now over double of claimable grids, Lawless grids actually have growing player numbers, while claim grids are dropping.

While I would like a claim, there are not enough islands to every small group to have one.

Then group up with someone and claim an island. Its an mmo after all 🙂

• Like 1

Then group up with someone and claim an island. Its an mmo after all 🙂

MMO does not imply forced grouping with shared assets.  Every MMO that forced grouping for day-to-day play has failed, unfortunately Atlas looks to be going that was as well.     Atlas groups are even more intrusive since it has a commune-style ownership.  

9 minutes ago, José Gaspar said:

MMO does not imply forced grouping with shared assets.  Every MMO that forced grouping for day-to-day play has failed, unfortunately Atlas looks to be going that was as well.     Atlas groups are even more intrusive since it has a commune-style ownership.  

Noone forces you to play in group. It just makes things easier. Claiming island for instance. If you don't want to play in group, just stay lawless or go play as a tenant. Both are viable ways how to play this game. If u want island, grt a group.

Devs will not balance this game around solo players, its meant to be mainly in groupa. U can't really build an empire and rule as a solo person right?

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Willard said:

Noone forces you to play in group. It just makes things easier. Claiming island for instance. If you don't want to play in group, just stay lawless or go play as a tenant. Both are viable ways how to play this game. If u want island, grt a group.

Devs will not balance this game around solo players, its meant to be mainly in groupa. U can't really build an empire and rule as a solo person right?

QFT.

The saying “The sun never sets on the British Empire” wasn’t because the British Empire was just one guy so tall sunlight hit him in the middle of the night in London.

Solo players do play in groups.  They just don't join companies.  (said for the 50th time)

Here's another guy with a private hotline to the devs apparently.  (After they said they were making changes to make the game more friendly to solos and small groups)

It doesn't make things more true the more you repeat them.  Otherwise I'd be rich now.

• Like 2

For me and my infinite wisdom, I was just sitting here thinking about other mmo games I’ve played in the past, World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, Elder Scrolls Online just to name a few and honestly I can’t recall any of them that required me to join with a guild, clan or company in order to do the pve side of the game. Now I know Willard and a few others insist that since this is a mmo ( Massively Multiplayer Online) game that alone means I should either for a company of my own or join a existing one and in part I guess they are right.   Let’s see, when you claim an island or form an alliance then you need to have a company name and in case I’ve created a company because it was required. It has been a strong company and it endures through hard times and good times that the game has went through but with that said, the company I created was a company built for one person and that was me and me alone. Now I have had other members in the company with little issues and I’ve always felt that people could come and go as they pleased and as long as they didn’t tarnish the company name I didn’t care how long they chose to stay but in the end, after every one else has moved on I would still be there. Still supporting that same name. Do you know why ? Because the name means something to me personally and other company names don’t.  

This game could be played just like any other mmo out there if players would lose the power trip mentality or god complex they have going on, players like that belong in pvp because they are after fame, they want to be in the spotlight, they thrive on competition. They feel like they need to prove something to themselves or everyone else.  

I play in pve, casual, come and go as I please, take as much time as It takes to get something completed. I don’t get excited anymore over someone else who maybe faster, quicker, smarter or have more skill than I do. I have realized that trivial things like that means absolutely nothing in the real world. My boss doesn’t give two shits that I’m part of a company in a digital world that has 500 members or holds the #1 rank in said game, he only cares that I can do my job safe and efficient enough to make him money in which he will give me a small amount of it in return.

I’m rambling, lunch is over and I lost my train of thought, pvp sucks, pve rules and this new claim system can kiss where the sun doesn’t shine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1