Cpt. Dragoon

Elephant taming

14 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

So knocking something out and feeding it while asleep, so when it wakes up it somehow knew who was feeding it, and is now your friend is more to your taste.

fair enough.

I though ark taming was boring, knock it out, stuff it full of food and drugs, twiddle your thumbs until done.

At least this system requires some action and precision, the better you get at it the better levels you get. You are rewarded for skill rather than having the right kibble.

Skill?  LMFAO.   Skill?  You did not just say skill.  LOL

It's broken mechanics.  If the feed option is highlighted blue or red, feeding should happen.

Skill?  Pretty much all animals are the same.  Feed from the belly.  Some allow feeding from behind the head.  There is no indication as to why or when the elephant will strike out.  Feed in one spot, and stand there, and suddenly, just as it is about to eat again, it lashes out, for no reason.  You stood there and fed three times just fine, but out of nowhere, it suddenly doesn't like you standing there.  When you approach again, it continues to lash out.    So you feed and move away and wait, then move in again...and randomly, the same thing happens.  It lashes out, even though you are moving right back into the spot that worked 5 times before.

It's absurd...it's broken...and only a fool defends something it.

I don't mind skill based, interactive taming, but how about something that is not absurd.  How about something that looks like actual taming, not animal abuse.  Immersion works better when it is at least somewhat believable.  Yeah, ARK's system wasn't perfect either, and I always thought it was silly, but at least nearly killing the dino, repeatedly, wasn't part of the process.

• Thanks 1

Elephant for sale.

Due to exposure to red wine during the taming process I can't recall the wild level.... low, lowbi, less than WL6 I think. Currently lvl 18. Female. Name: Biggie.

Can be seen on M8 SE island at the far southern tip, standing on top of a building. Go visit her and send me a nice offer. I have crew to pay.

Also, For sale WL 10 Horse. Currently up in the tundra until my next run or you meet me there.

I may let go of one lowbi bear but I have little desire to sell as I only have 3 bears so far.

Moon Rock of M8.

Edit: Now a WL 11 Elephant ready also.

Edited by Moon Rock

I do believe taming need to be less RNG .

Currently , no matter how careful you may be , sometime the animal you are taming just throwing a tantrum and bite repeatedly , try to timing your feeding you may say , the animal still bite faster than you crouching and may result in your death thus wasting time feeding it and have to start taming again as taming bar drop .

What i would do is making taming bar not drop as all , keep the taming eff , when you start it you must finish it , so in case of unforeseen accident you can still keep continue instead of wasting more time , you can however choose to cancel taming altogether .

Edited by kampfer91

7 hours ago, DannyUK said:

@Puppies4ever Are you still doing the business of taming and selling animals? If so can you tell me where you're at and how much. I know you used to have a list somewhere, not sure if you still do it or not.

Yes. We are still in busniess and we will release our discord soon 🙂 There you will find every tame then

• Like 3

Tamed one again today, I have no idea why people have so much problems with it. Maybe it has something to do with the lag? We tamed all of ours on a server that didn’t seem to lag at all. 

The mechanic right now certainly is buggy but I can see where the devs are going with it. You're dominating the animal over time by knocking the piss out of it until you can drop it to the ground with a bola. Once it's bloody and beaten you feed it and show you can provide for its needs. The animal will fight you tooth and nail every step of the way which is why they still swipe at you while they're down.

If they fix the structure aggro bugs and add a sound or animation cue just before the animal is going to take a swipe at you it would make things more interesting. Active taming with dodging!

Edited by rumthorp

Just got my today.

It was torture.

I built a tames pen 4x4 with 2 walls high. Lured 12 lvl elephant there and... well I had like 50 wheat, 200 wild wheat, 150 throwing spears and 37 bolas.

I used all. I actually tamed him with last bola and 3 sec left...and I was farming resources and creating spears for last 15%. 

I spent all farmed wheat and when taming level got around 75% - he killed me. Then once more. Then I saw 12%. I didn't expect it goes down THAT QUICK! I spent sometime to figure out - how to do it. I found the way - ppl wrote here above. Run to his stomach, looking to head. Feed him. Run back. All needs to be done as quick as possible. All risky and difficult and way long and any mistakes (like wrong angle of trapped body) force you back to begining. A lot of deaths. Taming lvl falls down unbelievable fast. With wild wheat 12lvl elephant get 1.6% at once.

I feel like the process should be closer tiver how it works for troodons in Ark, specifically for carnivores: you knock it, bola and bring a dead creature close. Lion eats and you remove the bola, now the lion isn’t yellow to you and will follow around. You beat something (lower hp and bola), lion eats and Tame bar increases.

Some could use a system that involves different interactions, you sometimes feed, pet or mess around with the tame. At least that’s how I befriend a dog, I’m pretty sure my cat would hate me if I treated him liked that the to tame lol

im still thinking how should the game handle those large creatures and birds.

On 4/18/2019 at 6:11 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Skill?  LMFAO.   Skill?  You did not just say skill.  LOL

Yup, you have problems with it and come complain here, I have no problems, in fact the latest 'fix' made the sweet spot so big on some animals that it's so easy it's boring.

So yes skill is a factor.

Devs: please revert to previous version. as it is now it's very little challenge, again you're catering to the lowest denominator.

tbh it should be much harder for all the other animals, i mean hard like the elephant taming. it's a walk in the park to get a tame. rhinos elephant and giraffes are perfectly balanced imho.

the rest is too easy, like bears, it's soooo OP and you all know that, but it's such an easy tame...

On 4/16/2019 at 10:47 PM, Cpt. Dragoon said:

What is with Elephant taming you cant get anywhere near it to feed it. and when you go to the back head it Says Press E to feed but cant and when you go to the old feed spot by the back legs between the front you just keep getting hit. so what was this patch for anyways? 

Stand between its legs, don't crouch. You will get option to feed when it breathes. GL.

So knocked out the elephant, bola'ed it several times and no E to feed ANYWHERE, we have tried with and without a taming pen...

If you cannot feed, it should not be giving you a blue/red feed indication.  It's broken.  I think I will make a video, and show the gaming community how broken it is.  Also, you can feed, and then enter the same spot, the same way, and same angle, and suddenly, out of nowhere, get hit.  I have tamed elephants.  I don't enjoy taming elephants.

Gamers need correct information and feedback in a game.  You don't play in a FPS, and have to guess if the crosshairs on your sniper rifle are actually accurate.

Furthermore, every last task in a Survival game, PvP or PvE, does not have to be monumentally difficult for the game to be challenging and enjoyable.  Just getting out there and finding a decent level Elephant, can be challenging.  Getting it back home without losing it, or getting your ship sunk, can be challenging.

Some of you act really absurd about this stuff.  I mean, it's just a straight abomination that the berry bushes aren't pricking you for damage if you don't approach the bush just right before pressing E.  In real life, people get injured on construction sites.  The game is too easy because structures never fall on your head...you never break your hand or lose a finger in to process of building your building.  Building is too easy and so Grapeshot is catering to the lowest denominator.   smh

1 hour ago, Captain Stabbin said:

JAT already said they are working on it.....why is this thread still going?

LULz, the last post was a week and a half ago.  You just kept it going.  It was now being ignored, until you posted in it.  🤣

On 4/20/2019 at 3:39 PM, Percieval said:

Tamed one again today, I have no idea why people have so much problems with it. Maybe it has something to do with the lag? We tamed all of ours on a server that didn’t seem to lag at all. 

Same, i found 2 WL 30's on our island one after the other, tamed without a hitch, i use a bear to tank the elephant and bola from it's back never really took any damage from the feeding process. on C7 didn't seem to be much lag, but i don't think it really matters, get in feed back out and it's easy.

5 hours ago, trqfreak350 said:

Same, i found 2 WL 30's on our island one after the other, tamed without a hitch, i use a bear to tank the elephant and bola from it's back never really took any damage from the feeding process. on C7 didn't seem to be much lag, but i don't think it really matters, get in feed back out and it's easy.

Next time I tame one, I will record it, and show how I can do this, and it works, and the elephant sometimes doesn't even lash out, and I just use S and W, to move in and out, but the elephant does not react the same each time.  Sometimes it lashes out, and sometimes not.  But the good news is that this is being fixed.

• Like 1

We tamed a lot of elephants.

Its not buggy. Its all about practice. Taming in a pen is always harder.

Open field with bear is easier, smoother and you are more mobile and flexible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Puppies4ever said:

We tamed a lot of elephants.

Its not buggy. Its all about practice. Taming in a pen is always harder.

Open field with bear is easier, smoother and you are more mobile and flexible.

PvE or PvP ?