Cpt. Dragoon

Elephant taming

What is with Elephant taming you cant get anywhere near it to feed it. and when you go to the back head it Says Press E to feed but cant and when you go to the old feed spot by the back legs between the front you just keep getting hit. so what was this patch for anyways? 

You have to tame from its belly, the back of the head doesnt work. Also potatoes are better then wheat. To tame move in feed and move out fast....Good Luck!

Yeah youll get hit they have a huge range...move in quik and feed itll stop his attack for a second then move out right away

1 hour ago, Crete said:

Yeah youll get hit they have a huge range...move in quik and feed itll stop his attack for a second then move out right away

this.

• Like 1

It's really buggy right now.

Before it was hard but not impossible...

They reduced a lot the range for feed them

3 hours ago, Cpt. Dragoon said:

What is with Elephant taming you cant get anywhere near it to feed it. and when you go to the back head it Says Press E to feed but cant and when you go to the old feed spot by the back legs between the front you just keep getting hit. so what was this patch for anyways? 

It's like Déjà vu.

Elephant taming is broken.  All taming suffers from the need to lock a potential tame down into a pen, but they have some weird aggro-bug to the structures they fall through, so they hit you when you get close enough to tame.  I don't even bother with taming pens if possible, because of this.  Bears, I tame from the back of a bear.  Same with wolves, and Tigers.  Lions are not possible to do this way because they pull you off.  Elephants are hard to do this way, but possible, and same for Rhinos.  Giraffes...no.  Too fast and they run away.

The whole taming system needs reworked.  Hopefully this is a place holder, because it looks nothing like taming.

There is a weird new bug happening with taming, when I tame bears from the back of a bear.  It almost always takes to bolas.  First one I get the orange sparks, and clink sound, but the second one, in the same exact spot, always does the trick.  Happens about 70% of the time.  So one, I wanted to tame, I was getting it to aggro to me, but had to lead it right past a wood building to get it to the taming pen.  Had too few bolas on me to do the two for one bug, so I figured I would do it in the pen.  Almost go to the pen but a horse got in my way, and the bear caught me about 100 meters past the wood building.  So what does it do after killing me?  It goes back to the wood building and starts destroying it.  Couldn't get it to break aggro on that building, so we had to kill it.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

It's like Déjà vu.

Elephant taming is broken.  All taming suffers from the need to lock a potential tame down into a pen, but they have some weird aggro-bug to the structures they fall through, so they hit you when you get close enough to tame.  I don't even bother with taming pens if possible, because of this.  Bears, I tame from the back of a bear.  Same with wolves, and Tigers.  Lions are not possible to do this way because they pull you off.  Elephants are hard to do this way, but possible, and same for Rhinos.  Giraffes...no.  Too fast and they run away.

The whole taming system needs reworked.  Hopefully this is a place holder, because it looks nothing like taming.

There is a weird new bug happening with taming, when I tame bears from the back of a bear.  It almost always takes to bolas.  First one I get the orange sparks, and clink sound, but the second one, in the same exact spot, always does the trick.  Happens about 70% of the time.  So one, I wanted to tame, I was getting it to aggro to me, but had to lead it right past a wood building to get it to the taming pen.  Had too few bolas on me to do the two for one bug, so I figured I would do it in the pen.  Almost go to the pen but a horse got in my way, and the bear caught me about 100 meters past the wood building.  So what does it do after killing me?  It goes back to the wood building and starts destroying it.  Couldn't get it to break aggro on that building, so we had to kill it.

Not true.

You can tame everything with Bear, expect Lion and Tiger. 

Lion because they will grab you off and Tiger because of the insane bleed dmg. You can tame Lion and Tiger with Giraffe. Thats it!

Taming is not hard, its more difficult, but not hard.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Puppies4ever said:

Not true.

You can tame everything with Bear, expect Lion and Tiger. 

Lion because they will grab you off and Tiger because of the insane bleed dmg. You can tame Lion and Tiger with Giraffe. Thats it!

Taming is not hard, its more difficult, but not hard.

And the whole system is still an abomination.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have tamed a few Elephants since the restart. It does seem harder now. After taming not going well I made changes. You or at least I, take much more of a beating now, so armor up. Now it's more about access to the right area and timing.

My tips...

Old style traps with door frames now block the sweet spot too often. Being behind the right front leg does not work if the trap blocks the sweet spot. The sweet spot may be blocked even if you don't think it is.

If you can't find the sweet spot, release asap and continue.

Watch the "bola" timer, not the feed timer (count). Don't go in early and risk another hit if you have low HP.

If taking too much damage, add time between feed cycles to heal. Not so long it resets. It's better to take longer to tame than to fail.

Learn the hit range. Run in and feed, feeding should block the first hit (sometimes). Get out.

Place a bed and supply locker next to your trap. Plan to use more supplies than before.

It's a puzzle, figure it out.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Crete said:

Also potatoes are better then wheat. To tame move in feed and move out fast....Good Luck!

Wait what?  Potatos are better than wheat?   Really?   That's an epiphany for me if that's so!

Why making it even harder to tame elephant , whoever in charge of balancing stuff is a true sadist .

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Vorxius said:

Wait what?  Potatos are better than wheat?   Really?   That's an epiphany for me if that's so!

yeah, can someone look if that's true ?

8 minutes ago, Buck Rider said:

I have tamed a few Elephants since the restart. It does seem harder now. After taming not going well I made changes. You or at least I, take much more of a beating now, so armor up. Now it's more about access to the right area and timing.

My tips...

Old style traps with door frames now block the sweet spot too often. Being behind the right front leg does not work if the trap blocks the sweet spot. The sweet spot may be blocked even if you don't think it is.

If you can't find the sweet spot, release asap and continue.

Watch the "bola" timer, not the feed timer (count). Don't go in early and risk another hit if you have low HP.

If taking too much damage, add time between feed cycles to heal. Not so long it resets. It's better to take longer to tame than to fail.

Learn the hit range. Run in and feed, feeding should block the first hit (sometimes). Get out.

Place a bed and supply locker next to your trap. Plan to use more supplies than before.

All true, I use full plate for taming.

can't find sweet spot. - you can see bola timer and get to learn feed interval, time it. duck in and out to feed.

It's not easy. but who want to knock it out stuff food in it's inventory and go watch Utube until its done

so elephants are harder to tame now, but anyone found a good way to tame rabbits?

bolas dont work on them as you need to hit them first and they will refuse to eat while trapped,
they actively path around taming pens even large ones,
making them walk over foundations and build walls around them they go straight through them,
you cannot knock them out as their health is too low,
cant use snakes on them as they outrun them,
taming them in the open they run away into the jungle or the ocean and its impossible to not loose track of them during the long taming process...
unlike other passive tames they are small and fast and change directions randomly, if the view is blocked with plants they're gone.

only option seems to be building a large wall around the area with rabbits and then narrow it down, thou its likely to bug through the walls,
seems quiet excessive for a tier 1 with no important use.

5 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

there barely would be a issue with door frames if collision would be more precise / realistic.

potential tames glitch half way through walls or even solid rock and that makes them untameable to some extent.

time also is an issue. once the FEED notification turns red you receive a penalty and depending on what you are trying to tame that penalty might be crucial to the amount you have to feed the time it takes total and to the outcome of the process

In regard to the mention of Lions.  I am able to tame lions in the open fairly consistently from a bear.  Sure I kill the occasional one to save my bear or I hit them one too many times... 

The trick is to avoid their first or second lung attack at you.  If you can do this then you can usually get the lion to engage the bear.  If you are grabbed by the lion start smacking the spacebar in rapid succession to get them to release you.  If you have good health you can get them to drop you and you can hop back on the bear. 

Must haves for a open lion taming are nearby beds, full armor set, high HP bear (1000hp+) and max heal buff. 

You really need all that HP and a bed nearby incase the lion kills you.  Gives you time to get back to the bear and save it.  I rarely get my bear below 50% unless I really screw up.  Lost a bear once, but it only had 600HP. 

Its hard work, but I would much rather deal with this then a taming pen.  I HATE HATE HATE taming pens.  More effort than they are worth IMO. 

Edited by DocHolliday

6 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

How about no.  If you get the blue feed notification, you should be able to feed, period.  This process is broken, period.  It must be fixed.  Stop defending broken game mechanics.

The entire system is lazy programming.  It looks nothing at all like taming.  You don't repeatedly, nearly kill something and force feed it, to tame it.  Never in the history of mankind taming creatures, has this ever been employed as a method of taming.  And something trapped, doesn't automatically escape every two minutes.  This system is absurd, and MUST be replaced with something that makes sense.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DocHolliday said:

Must haves for a open lion taming are nearby beds, full armor set, high HP bear (1000hp+) and max heal buff.

I tame lions with 400HP bears and tier 2 heal. I like to live dangerously. I have only lost 1 bear so far. I died, and when I got back, the bear had the lion and 3 cobras on him. He went to Valhalla.

Haha yeah it can be done with lower level.  I tame some and barely scratch my bear at all.  I like having 1000+ HP bears because of those unknown variables that can literally bite you in the ass when you least expect it.  Those extra hit points buy you valuable time to save the lion you are taming and your bear.

Edited by DocHolliday

15 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

How about no.  If you get the blue feed notification, you should be able to feed, period.  This process is broken, period.  It must be fixed.  Stop defending broken game mechanics.

The entire system is lazy programming.  It looks nothing at all like taming.  You don't repeatedly, nearly kill something and force feed it, to tame it.  Never in the history of mankind taming creatures, has this ever been employed as a method of taming.  And something trapped, doesn't automatically escape every two minutes.  This system is absurd, and MUST be replaced with something that makes sense.

I'm not defending the system. I'm telling you how to get a elephant in a video game. Take it or leave it. GL

I tried last night to tame an elephant and I couldn't get anywhere near it either. I did used to wear the armour though to tame it but I don't have it at the moment so I'm stuck with nothing.

I know the point where you tame them, at an angle near the belly but it still keeps knocking me back, I gave up last night but I might have another try today. When it sticks it's head out of the pen it's harder to get in near it's belly so it can be awkward at times. 

6 hours ago, Buck Rider said:

I'm not defending the system. I'm telling you how to get a elephant in a video game. Take it or leave it. GL

I have tamed elephants.  That doesn't change the fact that the mechanics are broken.  You get the feed notification, you should be able to feed.  And once again, the whole system needs to be changed.  I know some people defend the current system because they fear the system being changed to something more ARK-like.  I prefer the ARK system to this, but I understand what they are worried about, and I agree, and don't want the crazy long time it takes to tame in ARK.  That is the ONLY thing that is good about this system...the time is not nearly as long as ARK, which put me off taming on official.  Same for breeding on official.  It's too long here also.  Wouldn't be so bad if you could just feed them and leave them be while they grow up.  I am not going to stay up all night to care for a virtual animal.  That's beyond absurd.  The DEVs need to learn that most people don't game with an international community, and thus don't have people to care for a virtual baby, around the clock.  Develop mechanics that aren't absurd.

So knocking something out and feeding it while asleep, so when it wakes up it somehow knew who was feeding it, and is now your friend is more to your taste.

fair enough.

I though ark taming was boring, knock it out, stuff it full of food and drugs, twiddle your thumbs until done.

At least this system requires some action and precision, the better you get at it the better levels you get. You are rewarded for skill rather than having the right kibble.

@Puppies4ever Are you still doing the business of taming and selling animals? If so can you tell me where you're at and how much. I know you used to have a list somewhere, not sure if you still do it or not.