Sign in to follow this  
Skinner NA PVE

Pilar/Foundation Spam coding question

Is it possible to code for unconnected structural pieces to have significantly lower decay times? 

1 foundation = 4 hours

Scales to 30 connected pieces 10 days

Since I am dreaming add in anything less than 5 adjoining pieces auto demolished after timer expires.

I think it's ok now, foundation spam was annoying as hell when real-estate was virtually nil.   Now with the additional islands, space is not premium any more.  People use foundations to just mark an area around to stop morons boxing you in.  Devs are right to leave foundations in in lieu of being griefed by blockades or arsehattery like when someone boxed in our primary supply house...  just because.   

Must admit, since the new fresh atlas, things are way way way way way better, it's never been better tbh.  I actually feel like we're playing now, not begging / scrounging.

32 minutes ago, Skinner NA PVE said:

Is it possible to code for unconnected structural pieces to have significantly lower decay times? 

1 foundation = 4 hours

Since I am dreaming add in anything less than 5 adjoining pieces auto demolished after timer expires.

That only encourages massive builds.  What's the purpose of having signs or putting 1 water reservoir on a foundation piece if it's just going to disappear?  Or a guy just starting out that throws down 4 foundations for a bed and a smithy?  Will that even last overnight while he's sleeping?

You know what fixes spam?  Claims, limited per person/company.

Was just an idea to live in the world they have created. Sailing around I see a lot of pillars still. Beautiful game till people spam it up. I think the build radius is decently large not to need spamming. I lived on lawless and demolished a lot spam. 

I guess it’s human nature to pee on something to claim it just Incase one day you might want it.

1 hour ago, Skinner NA PVE said:

1 foundation = 4 hours

Is perfect possible, in CONAN EXILES one single foundation have 1 hour decay, u need to build a little house for having 6 days decay, i tell him from teh beginning the solution for spammers, but devs dont listen...they have own way 

They tried something like this in ARK at one point I recall.  Foundation spam was a problem so they put a rapid decay timer on a single foundation or pillar.  Within a day it became widely known that you could circumvent the new rule by placing a pillar and attaching a ladder to the side of it so it was no longer a lone structure subject to rapid decay.  People will find ways around whatever safeguard they put in place sadly,

I will say though that I have not seen significant foundation spam on the islands I've visited since the reset.  No idea how it looks in lawless but on the "owned" land we have visited has all been pretty clean. 

21 hours ago, Vorxius said:

I think it's ok now, foundation spam was annoying as hell when real-estate was virtually nil.   Now with the additional islands, space is not premium any more.  People use foundations to just mark an area around to stop morons boxing you in. 

NOPE, assholes will be assholed, we own an island, we were letting people build on the island but we had a section that were gonna use for our projects, one guy decided he wanted all the island and foundation spammed it. We deleted all the foundation and foundation spammed our island and we did the best we could to enclose him to drive him off the island. We are still waiting for the 10 days decay so we can demolish his base. 

19 minutes ago, sim q said:

so true and there is no guarantee that he won't remember and do a jog around your island at day 9

Griefers will be griefers, another thing that may happen is people just parking rafts and ramshackle sloops right at our bays. 

Just because someone pillars an area around their base equivalent to the old claim flag radius does not make them a griefer.....

pillars ARE the new claim flag.... better believe it.... 

I believe 1 of 4 things will happen.... they will go back to the old claim system limiting the number of flags you get (not likely).... they will leave it like it is (ugly as hell).... they will increase radius of no build area ( my choice, less pillars).... or they will institute a decay timer forcing the building of sidewalks....

Whichever path they talk believe one thing..... people want a bit of land that is under their control safe from interference from others....