Sign in to follow this  
Kummba

Claim vs Lawless

5 minutes ago, zottel said:

Even the Description of the game says it got tax And landowner System. Also seems like u just were unlucky with the landlord but there are Plenty good ones. Or just find more ppl And claim an island

just find more people, 4Head

None of the other people I play games with are dumb enough to spend $30 on this tbh 

Taxed or not taxed, there are Land Lords, and Peasants. Owners and "all other ppl".

Do you really want to be "all other ppl" in the game? For fun? Is that fun for you to be "others"? Seriously?

The problem here comes from the fact, that developers pay all attention to PVP, and trying to apply "the same solution" to PVE. However, while this system is good and fully makes sence on PVP, it make no sence on PVE. IMHO not at all.

At the moment I am happy: I AM LAND LORD. I feel good and don't want to lost MY PROPERTY. Everybody are welcome to live on MY LAND. I will be good LORD to you and to MY LAND. Enjoy MY OWNERSHIP.

P.S. I don't know how else to explain my feelings so last sentence suposed to demonstrate why I don't like this "solution", and I did not meant to hurt anyone. Sorry.

Edited by Goha

1 hour ago, Goha said:

At the moment I am happy: I AM LAND LORD. I feel good and don't want to lost MY PROPERTY. Everybody are welcome to live on MY LAND. I will be good LORD to you and to MY LAND. Enjoy MY OWNERSHIP.

When you join a party in an MMO, or shooter looter, how do you feel that a random party member (Usually the party creator) is arbitrarily designated as 'Team leader', and has the power to do certain administrative functions?

Does it make you seethe that they are YOUR LORD, and YOUR OWNER, that you are THEIR PROPERTY?

Or do you just politely (or impolitely) ask them to do something if those administrative rights need exercising? (Hey, SSJDouchenozzle69 is griefing, kick them from party plox!).

That is basically the function of a landlord in ATLAS PvE. Someone with Administrative control of the island; if someone tries pillar the resources? - They can remove them, which you can't on lawless. A good landowner can still feel a little like a homeowners association, true; like perhaps the landowner has decreed that a certain patch of nodes be left open and unobstructed to serve as a resource hub for the local community, and you really wanted to build there, and have certain planning stipulations on where you can build.

The 'bad landowners' you are concerned about are, true, a problem. But they are in this context no different to SSJDouchenozzle69 getting assigned party lead in some other game and proceeding to have his buddies vote-kick you for the lulz. However, they are the exception and not the rule. Most landowners I've met have been quite reasonable, some even make the 20% bonus produce available to the island community, effectively turning the 20% 'landowner bonus' into social welfare.

On my island I even hire NPCs to man turrets to provide defence against Alphas, and run anti-SotD operations, thanks to ammo provided by the 'anti-tax' funds.

If we were to flip the switch and go back to something like the old system, but everyone has 1 old-size flag; I'd be quite content in terms of the land i could own and house I could build on it. But with no central planning and organisation for the region, SoTDs will run rampant as it's unlikely anyone will want to stump up the resources to go kill them, and most the  resources will get built over or blocked off as everyone makes the best use they can of their tiny spot of land, essentially resulting in a tragedy of the commons. (As tends to happen on lawless, hence the increased respawn rate of materials to compensate)

Of course, I can understand why people who fancy themselves 'Free people' or 'pirates' would chafe at the notion of living in a micro state that has things like town planning, social welfare and organised militia, but let's not kid ourselves. Your problem isn't with 'bad landowners', it's because you have a libertarian freedom fantasy you want to act out in ATLAS (And like many people), overlook that ATLAS is a game about the age of sail; colonialism, merchant empires and yes, pirates.

By all means, enjoy your lawless lifestyle. I salute it, but let's not try and pretend it's 'better' place to live than a well managed microstate.

Edited by RyuujinZERO

12 minutes ago, RyuujinZERO said:

When you join a party in an MMO, or shooter looter, how do you feel that a random party member (Usually the party creator) is arbitrarily designated as 'Team leader', and has the power to do certain administrative functions?

Big difference: When creating the team I have choice which team to join. This is 5 minut deal to enter the team, talk and leave.

In this game it is very different: I land to the island, I spend days of my time just to figure out that "boss is bad on this island".

And the main difference: I DON"T Have CHOICE. In "all other games" I have choice: create my own team or join other team. Or play solo. In this game I have no choice, as thee are not enough lands for everyone. In this game many ppl prefer solo play. This is very natural for the natur of the ppl, who love this sort of games. And we want to have choice.

After all: Atlas is really nice game, I only criticise claim system.

P.S. And luck of support, of course.

P.P.S And "Early accesss" in this game is a big lie. Obviously.

LOL!!!!

2 hours ago, RyuujinZERO said:

Does it make you seethe that they are YOUR LORD, and YOUR OWNER, that you are THEIR PROPERTY?

Or do you just politely (or impolitely) ask them to do something if those administrative rights need exercising? (Hey, SSJDouchenozzle69 is griefing, kick them from party plox!).

Of course, I can understand why people who fancy themselves 'Free people' or 'pirates' would chafe at the notion of living in a micro state that has things like town planning, social welfare and organised militia, but let's not kid ourselves. Your problem isn't with 'bad landowners', it's because you have a libertarian freedom fantasy you want to act out in ATLAS (And like many people), overlook that ATLAS is a game about the age of sail; colonialism, merchant empires and yes, pirates.

By all means, enjoy your lawless lifestyle. I salute it, but let's not try and pretend it's 'better' place to live than a well managed microstate.

There is no comparison at all, for one you're spending potential 10 - 30 mins with this person, where as here you're potential spending your entire games life on a island. Also the "administrative functions" aren't in the same ball park and the times people do have full rights in a mmo tend to be in a guild raid, which is community you signed up for well in advance or a pre-made group, which you joined as it matched your requirements and if you're not happy at any time you can leave find and something else or make your own group and set the rules. 

Also the arguments you make for against the old system weren't a problem at all,

with SotD  people aren't suddenly going to go out and kill them now because of the new system. if they did before they will now, if they didn't before they won't now, also you don't need a company to do it, I was clearing them myself as a solo player,

resource blocking, I ran into the problem once, out of all the hours and islands i travelled too, never ran into resource blocking, even on lawless where people can build everywhere, also there a many ways it could be solved, the devs saying, you take care of it is the lazier option.

Overall you make the system sound great, but in reality it isn't, especially for those who are not landlords on PvE. PvP it's fine, but PvE makes no sense. While i would rather the old system i more than happy for them to improve and make it fair for both parties.