Sign in to follow this  
boomervoncannon

Interesting take on the issue of EA and Atlas specifically

How does one give a game like this proper internal testing without a massive team?  The backend server/network infrastructure and the code running on top of it is more important than the client we run locally on our PC's.  Internal tests at the scale needed to stress it to the point its releasable would prove difficult. 

I've seen companies do beta/free weekends to stress servers.  But, that's usually smaller scale games and much closer to release.  I find it difficult to find many comparisons to Atlas in terms of its scale and interconnected mechanics that can greatly affect one another in unimaginable ways.  

This is one live world.  Even Star Citizen is supposed to have instances last I heard so that's not the best comparison.  

Eve has done it and done it well for many years.  It kinda cheats in that each system is separate, but each one can support massive amount of players.  What else is out there?  Shadowbane kinda did it.  Ubisoft didn't put enough effort into that one and pulled development too soon after release so it never reach its full potential.

Edited by DocHolliday