Sign in to follow this  
CoopedUp

The Newest Changes

Okay,

So with the new release of Mega-Patch 1.5 they decide to tweak a couple items on the PvE side of things.  With the latest patch this is the change that jumped out at me ...

- Max Tax rate on PvE set to 20%, and is only additive on PvE (doesn't reduce the taxee's resources)

I'm sure that for a lot of people that this seems like a good change, and in a way it is.  I agree that the 20% maximum tax rate is a necessary addition because currently the PvE side of Colonies doesn't have a resource sink like the PvP side is supposed to have (land-owners are responsible for building island defenses against raiders for his tenants).  But the second part of the patch is something that I'm not sure I understand or agree with...

I'm sure that there is a lot of people that are preparing to flame the shit out of me for saying that, because damnit they want ALL of their fucking resources and to hell with anyone that says otherwise!  But really, what is the incentive for being a good land-lord now?  Before if there was 4 islands with tax rates at 20%, 15%, 10%, & 5% then it was natural that people would tend to gravitate more towards the 5% and 10% islands helping to lower that landlords upkeep.  Now since the tax rate no longer matters to the settlers then no one is going to give a flying shit what the rate is and not being inclined to settle more on lower rated islands.

So land-lords can raise the tax rates to maximum and besides for monitoring their island for foundation spam or resource blockers, they have no reason to expend any effort into being a "good" landlord and maintain relations with their tenants.  They can just sit back and enjoy all the free resources that the system will be basically gifting them with for just being a land-owner.

But being a land owner has to have some benefits because it requires some time put into management. I personally have no desire to be a landlord or a tenant so I live lawless. But it is very nice to see this change directly addressing PVE concerns because it shows me that the devs are listening to this community a little. That’s the best news about this adjustment.

36 minutes ago, Gomez Addams said:

But being a land owner has to have some benefits because it requires some time put into management. I personally have no desire to be a landlord or a tenant so I live lawless. But it is very nice to see this change directly addressing PVE concerns because it shows me that the devs are listening to this community a little. That’s the best news about this adjustment.

yes it is , but this system still has no place in pve fullstop , they have no spawn radius so low its a griefers paradise if they so wish , what if the lanlord doesnt remove them ? then that player has a useless base , 

benfits for ladlords why ? becuase they claimed their tiny island before anyone else got there , because they were the fastest , i dont think so , now becasue they did the no life thing at release they now get free resources forever with out having to do anything 

the old claim system with flag limits would have been the best one then every player would have had their own area with out fear of being demolished / walled in etc 

Edited by UDO
  • Like 1

The plus side to that is the vast majority of people won't read the patch notes.  They won't know it's additive.  They'll just see the tax rate and assume it comes out of what they gather.  They'll still gravitate towards the lower tax rate islands to farm on.

• Like 1

@CoopedUpYou might right, but it might also have the opposite effect.

From my perspective what they call an additive tax is not a tax at all. The owner gets 20% state subsidie on the resources I gather. So they get rewarded for people harvesting on their island and they get rewarded for people being on their island (sleeping or harvesting). The second reward is their own tax reduction on the gold they pay.
That should motivate the owner to keep the resources accessible.

For the tax reduction they should want sleepers as it stands to reason most players spend more time in real life than in this game so sleeping bodys have quite the value. This should be motive to keep the island tidy for building.

Edited by wandelaar

56 minutes ago, UDO said:

yes it is , but this system still has no place in pve fullstop , they have no spawn radius so low its a griefers paradise if they so wish , what if the lanlord doesnt remove them ? then that player has a useless base , 

benfits for ladlords why ? becuase they claimed their tiny island before anyone else got there , because they were the fastest , i dont think so , now becasue they did the no life thing at release they now get free resources forever with out having to do anything 

the old claim system with flag limits would have been the best one then every player would have had their own area with out fear of being demolished / walled in etc 

They are not having to do anything, not true. Gold upkeep without boosts are more expensive and time consuming than what people are realizing, which is good, btw. 

@wandelaar You are correct that it would be motivation to keep the resources accessible, but generally speaking that is something a land-owner is going to want to do anyways since they are resources that he harvests himself.  No land-owner is going to prevent resource blocking whether he has the taxes set at 5% or 20% because if he allows someone to block resources it just means he can't harvest the resource either or collect from others.

@8ball While you are correct in that a land-owner has to work more to collect the gold for upkeep right NOW, but in the long term it'll be a different story.  If enough people live on the island, his upkeep will be reduced to the point that it manages itself with the taxes received from treasure chests or at least enough that he barely has to expend any effort to maintain it.

The 20% taxes the does not come form people harvesting, is great/  The should be some taxes to offset the time the owner has to spend collecting gold.   This change will encourage owners to be welcoming to visitors and tenants, as they will bring free resources and gold.   Those that wall off and block will be on own for maintenance.   

Island owners the keep foundation spam under control and encourage settlers, will prosper.    Many like will decide to transfer ownership at some point, because they tire of the upkeep,  and since there builds are likely 24 hours old, they are protected from new owner.

This tax change was great,  since it does not cost the harvester anything.

Edited by José Gaspar