Sign in to follow this  
kampfer91

The new claiming system .

You either live in big company or live in lawless zone .

There are only a few 15 and 26 points islands  and way many 35 points islands which you need at least 5 people in your company . So solo players or company that only have few people can't claim any and have to live to lawless zone .

In the end we still have same problem as before , don't bother forming small company , just join the big one and get a jump-start .

• Like 2

You can still live on the islands, you may pay taxes but you can live there. Joining a large company doesn’t solve anything as far as owning land goes, your still living on someone else’s land.  

Your either going to be a owner, tenant or hobo. The Choice Is Yours

It’s been live for less than 24 hours, but I already have several concerns about the new claim system for PvE.

There is a very finite supply of islands that a solo or small company is capable of claiming. After the 15 and 23 point islands are claimed, I think that the next point value is 53. The island points that a company can have seems to be 30 + 1 for every additional member. My wife and I have 32 island points available to use.

This means that to claim even the 53 point islands, you need a minimum company size of 23. That’s quite the jump from solo, or a few friends. There is also a possibility of a large company starting off in small pieces to claim several of the smaller islands, only to merge together later.

Multiple people can try to claim the same island at the same time. You end up with a confrontation with the claimers basically griefing each other until the other(s) give up. And if you’re the one that ends up losing, congratulations! You’ve lost the claim AND the gold it cost to drop the claim flag, so in the early rush you may not be able to even try again.

The tax rates seem to default to 50%. 30% was stupid enough, but now in PvE you give up half of everything you farm, including gold from treasure chests, to the claim owner. Now the settlement owners can just sit there with a 50% tax rate and not have to do anything.

The whole setup feels like it’s intended to cater to large companies. I haven’t done a count yet, but I believe that the majority of the islands will only be claimable by very large companies.

Unless the small companies are lucky enough to get a claim early, lawless is looking like the only really viable option. Which is probably just as well, since getting gold after the islands are claimed getting gold will be twice as hard, since you’ll only get half as much.

I know I’m being a bit pessimistic saying this, but they’ve really made me feel like they don’t care about PvE at all, aside from the cash the PvE players bring in when they first buy it. They remove one of the PvE maps to add a third PvP map, they setup PvE to almost solely benefit large companies, and it really seems that they didn’t think this through at all.

The old system definitely had major flaws, but I think it was way better than this new claim system, at least for PvE.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

I'm a solo company and currently living on an unclaimed settlement waiting for someone to claim it. So it's not a case of being in a big company or living in lawless.

Until it gets claimed and the taxes go up. Then its off to find another isle, all your hard work gone again.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, we claimed an island, the claim cost was 122 gold, pluss 244 every 24 hour. so for a group of 4 to keep on owning the island, we have to sacrifice a lot of gather time, in favour off gold. What we offer is a bullshit free island were peoples can do what they want with out a lot of rules or us running around being egos. I request 25% tax, It will probably go down to 12.5 but as of now, the startup is kind of punishing when we also have to spend a lot of time and resorces on treasure hunts.

My Solo base will be in lawless, I was able to get claims in beta but only because I didn't have to consider where I should build my skill set and level, everything was unlocked a level 1. 6x helped too in beta but without  help like that, I don't see a solo being able to sustainable a claim until they tame a bear and build a schooner and by then there are no claims left under 35 points. I'll build a trap or two on other's peoples claims if needed. That's that.

Edited by ameckon

@Salty DelWhat you describe is pretty much the feedback many of us gave on th PVE PTR. The race to claims is very much in favour of organised groups, the larger the better.

19 minutes ago, wandelaar said:

@Salty DelWhat you describe is pretty much the feedback many of us gave on the PVE PTR. The race to claims is very much in favour of organised groups, the larger the better.

Shouldn't this be the case? I mean, should a solo player be able to claim the biggest island on the map? That makes zero sense. If you want to live on a big island find a good company to join. Can we still Ally? Yes. But if you are a small company or a solo and just want to isolate yourselves away from everyone else in an MMORPG, you shouldn't be able to get an island over a large well organized company on the public servers. Go play on a private server if you don't want to interact with others.

Before the wipe I was part of a small Company in D5. When the changes were announced, half our members left and those of us left decided to join up with a larger group. We searched around and found Blackstorm Raiders and after talking to them joined. We joined because they are building a community in Atlas that is something bigger than just a few people. 

Here's what we they did on the previous version. 

I mean, that kind of stuff is just fantastic and what I hope the vision is for Atlas. Large community built ports. 

I'm not trying to promote the Company (but it is awesome), but I am trying to show you that I believe this is what the Developers are envisioning as far as claiming these large areas. Well organized Companies that are wanting to make something that is for the betterment of all of Atlas. There is a place for soloer's and small groups but I don't think it's in owning and organizing a medium or large island.That's why we have lawless and why they continue to allow for Alliances. 

Just my 2 cents. 

No one said a solo player should claim a large island, but what we see if the large groups taking the small island as it takes less gold and upkeep plus the smaller groups that could take the larger islands don't due to the cost.

Basically people grab land to deny others land its so stupid.

What we really need is instanced freeports where people live and the islands are for treasure hunting/resource hunting. 

Pvp people can hunt traders on he sea or treasure hunters, while you can have people hunt those pirates instead of base raiding.

Edited by Ravenguard
  • Like 2

@Sydhart It's not about the size of the island. There is only a small window of opportunities to claim islands in the beginning.
After that initial landrush it is a contesting game.

The race for gold, the race for something better than a ramshackle sloop, the race for a free spot, the race to get the second load of gold and start building, ... all of that is obviously easier for larger companies. Even a group of 3 can get all of this done in half the time it takes a solo player. The point is chances of success are inherently smaller.

And in the contesting game at the later stages ... it is about stamina and attrition when there is more than one contester. These things could go on for days when they first changed the timers.

This being said, it is realistic to mimic the real life choice a single pirat would have. In fact a single pirate would have a lot less than what we have in game.
All of the above is fine if they don't want the game to be played solo. In that case it would help their image if they stated that.

I have been assuming that they also want the solo players and mini-companies as customers because that is a large part of their ARK-clientbase.

Edited by wandelaar

I am hoping the developers see how bad this is, and open the ,na pve with all lawless and structure upkeep as promised.

Then the large groups have the pve colony server (EU) and small groups get the lawless server (NA)

Yelp... I've had my fun with this game at lunch and before anarchy thingies... Had a small claim.. all was good.

Now it's shite, my small company couldn't get a small 15 island thanks to bigger companies rushing B to quickly grab them instead of medium-large ones.

So what, now I have to live and pay my fantastic overlord. And if he has a bad humor he can just boot me out of my stuff.  Niiiceeee...

And before "WE  ARE GOOD COMPANIES. THERE ARE GOOD PPL" yeah. But still most of ppl are d*cks 😛

• Like 1

I am hoping the developers see how bad this is, and open the ,na pve with all lawless and structure upkeep as promised.

Then the large groups have the pve colony server (EU) and small groups get the lawless server (NA)

Most people are unreasonable when there is no was to restrain them.  This is true even if they think they are doing good.

• Like 1

@wanderlaar : Uh sorry no , 3 people only give you like 33 points which is not enough to claim 35 points island , even if you have enough gold you still can't claim any 35 points island until big company move in .

Due to the steep upkeep cost and the reality of how many actual member join the company , they will mostly gun for 35 points island . Moderate upkeep cost , resources can be found on other islands  .

If Dolly is suggesting they aren't going to put up the NA PVE server then that should have been upfront and clear about that before launch day. Since they said it would come up in a few weeks people who wanted to play on NA PVE didn't do anything and now have missed any chance of claiming an island on EU PvE. I hope this isn't the case and they will indeed put up the NA PVE servers for those seeking to claim an island very soon but to be honest this shouldn't be an issue. They should have planned to add a new server in before launch or told the customers that they plan to have only one PVE server.  These unclear messages coming from the devs are just upsetting more customers. I do love many things about this game but the new claim system really didn't fix any of the issues that drove people off with the old claim system. 

They turned the old NA PVE server into [Empires] [PvP] [NA] The Forgotten Depths the grids have the same IPs

They only increased the number of islands by 40% and then reduced 100% by turning our place to play on another PVP server - https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/atlas/2986094

I know that paying for 225 grids obviously has its monthly cost but leaving your players without a decent place to play is ridiculous.

After all apparently only the problems with abandoned boats was solved it is very cool but for that we lost everything including a place to play in a decent way and without so much LAG

I've visited a few lawless and some people have already started spamming foundations again and now it got even worse since the decay time is 10 days !!!

Best of all is that as I had read here in the forum the big companies are putting their flags in small islands with 15~34 Island points and with that they have more islands and with different resources and the solo players has only with 30 Island Points they will never be able to have a land and are forced to live in lawless ever with of a crazy neighbor who wants to build a giant gate in their head or block their shipyeard.

The solution to this is that just as in ARK it is possible to create a dedicated server easily to play with friends or alone I do not see another solution.

• Like 1

I heard that whatever you build before someone puts flag down can get demolished if they wish, not sure if true of not.

I didn't want to take the chance so I'm back on lawless for now, enjoyed it last time round, build what you want no demolish.

14 hours ago, Sydhart said:

Shouldn't this be the case? I mean, should a solo player be able to claim the biggest island on the map? That makes zero sense. If you want to live on a big island find a good company to join. Can we still Ally? Yes. But if you are a small company or a solo and just want to isolate yourselves away from everyone else in an MMORPG, you shouldn't be able to get an island over a large well organized company on the public servers. Go play on a private server if you don't want to interact with others.

Before the wipe I was part of a small Company in D5. When the changes were announced, half our members left and those of us left decided to join up with a larger group. We searched around and found Blackstorm Raiders and after talking to them joined. We joined because they are building a community in Atlas that is something bigger than just a few people. 

I mean, that kind of stuff is just fantastic and what I hope the vision is for Atlas. Large community built ports. 

I'm not trying to promote the Company (but it is awesome), but I am trying to show you that I believe this is what the Developers are envisioning as far as claiming these large areas. Well organized Companies that are wanting to make something that is for the betterment of all of Atlas. There is a place for soloer's and small groups but I don't think it's in owning and organizing a medium or large island.That's why we have lawless and why they continue to allow for Alliances. 

Good for you friend, I wish you luck, but not everyone is lucky enough to have friends to play this game is not mainstream as you imagine so I think a lot of people who have never played ARK arrive in this game and half an hour later give up and never come back with this community is stagnant and restricted to a few groups like you.

Favoring solo players and small groups will favor everything already. that this pyramid of hierarchy begins from below

It is not fair for a solo player to have a giant island just for himself but he will think twice before owning it as the manuntention should cost a lot of gold and having to patrol the island every day to avoid griefing and resource locking should not be easy

Nowadays the big companies have access to everything besides the things that of course a larger group gives members how to make quests easier to possess much more gold power to venture into land on the Golden islands which is impossible for solo player.

I have never seen any MMORPG game punish and troll who solo player as this Atlas does. In other games playing alone does not mean being a slave in a big company or having 50% of everything you do is stolen from you there the only thing is that your progress is slower

Here at Atlas plus you do not now have a piece of land to build in peace and without being told What do I can or can not build what today cou do or not do now or the old nois server PVE have to play if you really back ok ok nothing has been confirmed yet officially dated and everything.

This argument that "go play on a private server" is asshole and stingy since if you do not know they are paid and for a minimally acceptable expresencia requires at least a 3X3 server to support the 9 golden ages with powerstones.

What was sold to me was a game with 225 grids to play the bugs are up acceptable since no game is released perfect the wipe also a cleaning in the database was needed because of too much new code implemented as it was said.

no unofficial server has 15X15 until costs are high if you know show me here then

19 hours ago, Sydhart said:

Just my 2 cents. 

Not everyone wants to be in a huge tribe like that. What's the point of creating a game if you're not going to balance it for ALL styles of play? 

This isnt star trek. Not everyone wants to be assimilated. 😕

13 minutes ago, Sansa Phoenix said:

Not everyone wants to be in a huge tribe like that. What's the point of creating a game if you're not going to balance it for ALL styles of play? 

This isnt star trek. Not everyone wants to be assimilated. 😕

I would wager, most PvE players do not want to be in large group.   In atlas you own nothing, your group owns everything.  I personally want more autonomy than that.

• Like 1