Sign in to follow this  
Crosstix

Seems a bit sleazy

The reasons I heard for the wipe seemed more then necessary.  You'll never convince me that this wipe was not necessary and that you not knowing this was going to happen during testing of this game gives you a green light to bitch and moan over lost pixels.  

Edited by DocHolliday
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Crosstix said:

So I played this game for 750 hours or so, and they can wipe all the progress I have, even stuff that isn't supposed to be taken from you like player experience and other things, im assuming because they are too lazy to find some way to transfer our characters to their new system, and I cant get a refund for the game. Sure I bought it at early release, but there was no warning that I was just a guinea pig and all my progress would be erased, maybe that was in the fine print or some wall of text but I didn't see it.

Not to be mean, but, and this is coming from a long time Ark player (that is just now installing Atlas)...

Atlas was a train wreck at launch, lots of huge issues, people complaining about ALL KINDS of serious game breaking problems, land claim issues, broken pvp, pve, tame, game balance, exploit, etc etc etc.  I mean just atrocious "what the hell were they thinking?" level issues.

I've been sitting back and waiting for the "1.FixItAll" patch since launch that wiped everything, reset the servers, updated to an entirely new set of game rules, and fixed everything.  Ark did it twice if I remember correctly AND THEN STILL SHUT DOWN LEGACY SERVERS.

So, um, those guys had literally THOUSANDS OF HOURS invested.  To them, you're still a nubcakes.

Welcome to Early Access.  I'll see you after I get done with the tutorial.  Can I upload my T-Rexes to this server?

Well if they are going to release a game into early access with a possibility of them having to erase everyones progress, then that should be stated, which again is why I made this post. But of course the majority of responses I get will just be from fanboys who aren't going to be reasonable with ridiculous bias and whatnot, so its a bit disheartening watching this, but hopefully I can at least warn people thinking about playing this since grapeshot doesn't care to.

1 hour ago, Winter Thorne said:

Is there any online game that doesn't run servers?  :classic_rolleyes:

I was referring to games that run a persistent world like UO or EVE Online vs something like Unreal Tournament. Apologies. I could have worded that better. 

1 hour ago, Crosstix said:

Well if they are going to release a game into early access with a possibility of them having to erase everyones progress, then that should be stated, which again is why I made this post. But of course the majority of responses I get will just be from fanboys who aren't going to be reasonable with ridiculous bias and whatnot, so its a bit disheartening watching this, but hopefully I can at least warn people thinking about playing this since grapeshot doesn't care to.

The fact you don’t seem to understand or acknowledge that wipes are part and parcel of the expectations of an EA game are the error I was referring to. You have stated repeatedly that you know what EA is, but your insistence that you should been explicitly warned about the possibility of wipes makes it clear you do not. Everyone else here understood that about Atlas being an EA game.

You did not.

Your repeated statements make this plainly apparent. This is the error I was referring to earlier, one you continue to deny and insist otherwise, all evidence to the contrary. Calling me self righteous or childish will not change this, they will just continue to make you seem stubbornly and willfully ignorant.

The facts are simple:

Wipes are part of the risk one assumes in playing an EA game. The other posters to this thread all understood and accepted this when purchasing Atlas. You did not. You are now upset at lost time invested due to your own incomplete understanding of EA risks. You have chosen to express your displeasure by casting aspersions upon the devs by suggesting the wipe was sleazy and lazy (and please, stop with the semantic hair splitting over lazy, it’s eye roll inducing). When called out by multiple posters for your mistake, as is common in internet culture, you refuse to acknowledge or accept responsibility for the error and instead make arguments that no one buys in an attempt at equivocation.

Feel free to continue, but you’re convincing no one, and calling those who disagree with you fanboys is classic ad hominem. Many of the posters you call fanboys have been sharply critical of Grapecard on numerous occasions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crosstix said:

I don't see how you can say it's not sleazy when it's not advertised or even hinted at. Even if it were advertised, I don't understand why it should be expected to lose your progress before an official release, even in an online game running servers. Why wouldn't the company just make a new server at official release and let people keep their progress from the EA period? Especially in a game requiring so much investment and enduring hardships and setbacks like this one.

It's definitely hinted at. That's under the giant sign that says "early access".  If you can't understand the premise that early access(a game advertised as an incomplete work in progress) implies the possibility of everything getting wiped out,  then I can't help you. 

I've played several mmorpgs before official release,  and every single one of them wiped their slate clean for the official release. Everyone playing the beta lost all progress upon release. 

It's my understanding that servers are wiped at official release so the beta and ea players don't start out already running the whole show. As for wipes in EA(be it single player or multiplayer) , sometimes it's because old saves aren't compatible with the new game version.

Running servers costs money,  id bet they're not going to make a seperate server to run the older code that they're no longer supporting.

As far as setbacks, this game was still easy mode when I last played a couple weeks ago. The losses you'd suffer in this game pale to those in eve online, swg, or anything else with any kind of actual death penalty. 

Edited by Sixgun77

19 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

Pathetic, not going to keep repeating myself but nice wall of text I read a little.

don't waste your time reading - you won't understand anything anyway.

head outside and knock over some cows or chop wood.

• Like 1

This must be what it felt like to try to explain the fish sticks joke to kanye west. 

• Haha 1

I'm more intelligent than you could ever hope to be, but ok nice try. Sorry that your biases caused you to be so rude and hateful and make you look bad to anyone being objective. 

1 hour ago, Crosstix said:

I'm more intelligent than you could ever hope to be, but ok nice try. Sorry that your biases caused you to be so rude and hateful and make you look bad to anyone being objective. 

being objective ?

practice what you preach and there would no need for this pointless thread of yours

3 hours ago, Crosstix said:

I'm not ignorant on the gaming market or making reasonable and profitable and reputable decisions at all, which is my reason for making this post to begin with. It's sleazy to me to do this when it wasn't absolutely necessary AND REFUSE A REFUND, and there was no warning or hint about it when I purchased the game at its EA release. So I guess ill wait for your next high-horse response now?

Again, the warning or the hint was the fact you were purchasing Early Access, not a released game. Your continued denial of this very basic fact is the crux of the issue.  Further, refund policies are set by steam, not Grapecard, so calling Grapecard sleazy for  your ignorance of who sets the refund policy and what it is (all information publicly available prior to your purchase), is a further error on your part, no high horse needed, just simple statement of facts.

Beyond these basic facts, implying you have somehow been unfaired against when not allowed to refund after 750 hours of gameplay is not likely to earn you much sympathy except perhaps with others grinding similarly absurd axes. Misery does love company.

But by all means, don’t stop now. My popcorn is almost done.

So you want me to keep repeating simple concepts or what? So you are either trolling me, or hardcore fanboy bias. Your condescending insults and attitude and trying to be clever with it is both pathetic and disgusting. But that's what I get for being a straight person coming into a gay bar so to speak. But like I said, hopefully this post can warn someone.

15 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

So you want me to keep repeating simple concepts or what? So you are either trolling me, or hardcore fanboy bias. Your condescending insults and attitude and trying to be clever with it is both pathetic and disgusting. But that's what I get for being a straight person coming into a gay bar so to speak. But like I said, hopefully this post can warn someone.

*Munches popcorn and waits for the “I’m rubber, you’re glue.” post, which based on the Op’s current posting trajectory should be inbound shortly.*

Edited by boomervoncannon

34 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

But like I said, hopefully this post can warn someone.

The only thing this post is likely to warn anyone about is your apparent inability to understand what's likely to happen with a game that's in early access. 

8 hours ago, Percieval said:

Early access, they can change it to us chasing fairies over bright pink clouds and they’re obligated to do so. Even though it would be wrong. But wipes would somehow crossed your mind. 

I'd play it. 

5 hours ago, Crosstix said:

Hey, nobody's judging you because of where you like to drink. Live and let live.

10 hours ago, Crosstix said:

And a homophobe too. smh