Sign in to follow this  
Crosstix

Seems a bit sleazy

So I played this game for 750 hours or so, and they can wipe all the progress I have, even stuff that isn't supposed to be taken from you like player experience and other things, im assuming because they are too lazy to find some way to transfer our characters to their new system, and I cant get a refund for the game. Sure I bought it at early release, but there was no warning that I was just a guinea pig and all my progress would be erased, maybe that was in the fine print or some wall of text but I didn't see it.

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

So I played this game for 750 hours or so, and they can wipe all the progress I have, even stuff that isn't supposed to be taken from you like player experience and other things, im assuming because they are too lazy to find some way to transfer our characters to their new system, and I cant get a refund for the game. Sure I bought it at early release, but there was no warning that I was just a guinea pig and all my progress would be erased, maybe that was in the fine print or some wall of text but I didn't see it.

Note: This Early Access game is not complete and may or may not change further. If you are not excited to play this game in its current state, then you should wait to see if the game progresses further in development. Learn more

bit of a clue on the store page gives you all the information u need , nothing hard to understand ....

Edited by UDO
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Uh no, it just hints at gameplay changing, not wiping all your progress.  You must be quite the fanboy to stretch it into that and say things like nothing hard to understand lmao

Edited by Crosstix

31 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

Sure I bought it at early release, but there was no warning that I was just a guinea pig and all my progress would be erased

That's what an "EA" is mate.  Being a guinea pig and loosing all your progress.  That's why it's cheaper than the full release.

most people that buy into an early access game know that wipes WILL happen, they might not, but its more likely that they will happen. 

32 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

It was a very big blue banner. 

If the blue banner is what that earlier guy posted, it only hinted at gameplay changes, not a wipe of all progress...?

2 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

If the blue banner is what that earlier guy posted, it only hinted at gameplay changes, not a wipe of all progress...?

Early access, they can change it to us chasing fairies over bright pink clouds and they’re obligated to do so. Even though it would be wrong. But wipes would somehow crossed your mind. 

53 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

Oh wow, yeah I thought we were passed these posts. Did you, for some unbeknownst reason, not think that at the VERY LEAST you would get your character wiped before it launched live? 

Setting aside the fact that you have 750 hours in a game you only paid some $25 for, and should thank GS for the value you received (at the cost of near $0.03/hr). 

Its super unread and presumptuous of you to assume they only wiped the servers because they were "too lazy" . If you need to be upset with someone, then its the exploiters and cheaters that are more than half the reason there had to be a wipe. They also added about 40% more land, more or less a completely new map.

If nothing else, at least google what EA actually means.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

The fundamental problem here is your lack of understanding of what EA is and what it entails. Accusing others of being sleazy because you didn’t understand what was and wasn’t being offered is the sort of thing people used to have the grace and humility to apologize for. This being the age of the internet, I am not holding my breathe. Want to impress people and defy expectations? Admit the mistake and apologize for casting aspersions at others due to your own error.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, Chucksteak said:

Oh wow, yeah I thought we were passed these posts. Did you, for some unbeknownst reason, not think that at the VERY LEAST you would get your character wiped before it launched live? 

Setting aside the fact that you have 750 hours in a game you only paid some $25 for, and should thank GS for the value you received (at the cost of near $0.03/hr).  

Its super unread and presumptuous of you to assume they only wiped the servers because they were "too lazy" . If you need to be upset with someone, then its the exploiters and cheaters that are more than half the reason there had to be a wipe. They also added about 40% more land, more or less a completely new map.

If nothing else, at least google what EA actually means.

You are the one being ridiculously presumptuous, and yes that boils down to them being too lazy, which boils down to money, I don't care how much of a fanboy you are for whatever reasoning, it doesn't change reality. And no, at the very least I did not think my character would ever get wiped, as I can see no reason for them to need to do that. At the very most, they might make a new server where people can start fresh at the official release of the game, but not wipe everyones characters. But thanks for your condescending attitude.

23 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

The fundamental problem here is your lack of understanding of what EA is and what it entails. Accusing others of being sleazy because you didn’t understand what was and wasn’t being offered is the sort of thing people used to have the grace and humility to apologize for. This being the age of the internet, I am not holding my breathe. Want to impress people and defy expectations? Admit the mistake and apologize for casting aspersions at others due to your own error.

I don't have a lack of understanding what EA is and should entail and for what was implied, and I don't expect you to be honest and apologize either. I'm definitely not apologizing for being reasonable. Sorry bud. You are the one that made yourself look bad in public, not me.

Edited by Crosstix

I’m curious to know how long is long enough. If they wiped all our progress after 2 years would that have been ok? Did you want to play until you were bored and moved on to another game and then the wipe would not be so sleazy? Or is this the last game you intended on playing and your retirement plan involves your character enduring forever. Truth be told, my countenance fell when they said they were wiping but I was more upset getting booted while playing so they could wipe it without even a 2 minute warning. I knew it was coming but this forum still has a post for an end date of the EU server. 🙄

3 minutes ago, Gomez Addams said:

I’m curious to know how long is long enough. If they wiped all our progress after 2 years would that have been ok? Did you want to play until you were bored and moved on to another game and then the wipe would not be so sleazy? Or is this the last game you intended on playing and your retirement plan involves your character enduring forever. Truth be told, my countenance fell when they said they were wiping but I was more upset getting booted while playing so they could wipe it without even a 2 minute warning. I knew it was coming but this forum still has a post for an end date of the EU server. 🙄

I don't understand what you are getting at. I didn't expect all my hours of enduring the hardships this game is about to be wiped at all, within reason of course, as even the most popular game will eventually die out in many many years, and the servers wont be paid for and it will cease to exist.

Aw, cut the guy some slack.  Lots of us were just as peeved when we first heard about the wipe.

You know what makes it easier for players to get through a wipe?

Having the new servers up within a day or a couple days after you wipe them.

Who woulda thunk it, that some clever planning could have avoided all this sturm und drang?

35 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

You are the one being ridiculously presumptuous, and yes that boils down to them being too lazy, which boils down to money, I don't care how much of a fanboy you are for whatever reasoning, it doesn't change reality. And no, at the very least I did not think my character would ever get wiped, as I can see no reason for them to need to do that. At the very most, they might make a new server where people can start fresh at the official release of the game, but not wipe everyones characters. But thanks for your condescending attitude.

I don't have a lack of understand of what EA is and should entail and for what was implied, and I don't expect you to be honest and apologize either. I'm definitely not apologizing for being reasonable. Sorry bud.

Your statements so far in this thread make it plainly apparent that you DO lack an understanding of what EA entails, as just about every other poster has pointed out to you. At this point, you are doing the expected and digging in, refusing to admit your error. Accusing others of being sleazy when you failed to have proper expectations IS an error on your part, your unwillingness to admit so does not change this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, boomervoncannon said:

Your statements so far in this thread make it plainly apparent that you DO lack an understanding of what EA entails, as just about every other poster has pointed out to you. At this point, you are doing the expected and digging in, refusing to admit your error. Accusing others of being sleazy when you failed to have proper expectations IS an error on your part, your unwillingness to admit so does not change this.

Actually no, you are the one who hasn't read my statements. And the majority of people who will respond to this post will just be fanboys, as the ratio of fanboys to people who used to play or are thinking of playing are pretty big at this point, so there's even more misconceptioning from you. But you can stay in your self-righteous child's limited view of the situation then, there's nothing I can do to change that at this point.

Edited by Crosstix

Hmmmm, there's nothing sleazy about server wipes or complete overhauls during early access. Losing your progress before official release is usually expected, especially on an online game that's running servers. 

1 minute ago, Sixgun77 said:

Hmmmm, there's nothing sleazy about server wipes or complete overhauls during early access. Losing your progress before official release is usually expected, especially on an online game that's running servers. 

I don't see how you can say it's not sleazy when it's not advertised or even hinted at. Even if it were advertised, I don't understand why it should be expected to lose your progress before an official release, even in an online game running servers. Why wouldn't the company just make a new server at official release and let people keep their progress from the EA period? Especially in a game requiring so much investment and enduring hardships and setbacks like this one.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Sixgun77 said:

Is there any online game that doesn't run servers?  :classic_rolleyes:

Lot of people bought this game and expected it to be static.  It shows by the comments. 

Until you know the technical hurdles and business related reasons they discussed you behind closed doors you cannot call them lazy.  They wiped.  Expect more wipes.  End of story. 

Edited by DocHolliday

3 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

Lot of people bought this game and expected it to be static.  It shows by the comments. 

Until you know the technical hurdles and business related reasons they discussed you behind closed doors you cannot call them lazy.

I didn't call anyone lazy, I said I assume that is the case. And it ultimately boils down to laziness anyway whether I brought it up or not, although certain levels of laziness are to be expected in anything in life, life is about balancing things. I didn't buy the game and expect it to be static at all. But I didn't buy it to have 750 hours of investment and enduring all kinds of bs to be erased, without any warning or even hint at this being a possibility. With no warning or hint, I think I already know what is going on behind closed doors, which I already stated in earlier posts on this thread.

Edited by Crosstix

What I’m getting at is expectations and what is reasonable. Some people say EA is an excuse for anything goes. If this is true then why is anybody upset at all? Obviously this can’t be true because many people have the same feelings of wasted time and betrayal. So as Winter Thorne said it could have been avoided with better planning and or communication. But the devs would never say ‘wipe possible’ because it doesn’t sell very well. The lesson is never expect to be treated reasonably in this day and age when profits are involved. It’s sad but true and I’m blue too. Your certainly not alone if that helps at all.

1 minute ago, DocHolliday said:

Until you know the technical hurdles and business related reasons they discussed you behind closed doors you cannot call them lazy.  They wiped.  Expect more wipes.  End of story. 

Let's just hope they plan the next ones better.

Ok, we're going to put up test servers for a week.  Oh, we have to wipe your server for someone else's test server.  Ok, now you have a test server....for 2 days.  Ok, now we're gonna wipe your test server for someone else's live server.  Yours will be back in 2 weeks...if we can hit the date.

There are squirrels in my yard with better planning skills.  Seriously.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Crosstix said:

I didn't call anyone lazy, I said I assume that is the case. And it ultimately boils down to laziness anyway whether I brought it up or not, although certain levels of laziness are to be expected in anything in life, life is about balancing things. I didn't buy the game and expect it to be static at all. But I didn't buy it to have 750 hours of investment and enduring all kinds of bs to be erased, without any warning or even hint at this being a possibility. With no warning or hint, I think I already know what is going on behind closed doors, which I already stated in earlier posts on this thread.

My phone autocorrected sleazy.  My bad. 

As to no warning we have known for weeks.  If you are referring to when you purchased that game chalk it up to your ignorance on game development and move on.  Lesson learned. 

WINTER THORNE.  I'll agree there.  It is what it is.  Management wise these guys need a real professional running the show.  As it stands now they have someone who has no business being in their position running things.  It shows on a daily basis.  They only survive off of their ability to do things not many in this world can do.   If this were most other fields in the business world they wouldn't have a company anymore. 

Whatevs.  I don't think its worth putting much energy into. 

Edited by DocHolliday

4 minutes ago, DocHolliday said:

My phone autocorrected sleazy.  My bad. 

As to no warning we have known for weeks.  If you are referring to when you purchased that game chalk it up to your ignorance on game development and move on.  Lesson learned. 

I'm not ignorant on the gaming market or making reasonable and profitable and reputable decisions at all, which is my reason for making this post to begin with. It's sleazy to me to do this when it wasn't absolutely necessary AND REFUSE A REFUND, and there was no warning or hint about it when I purchased the game at its EA release. So I guess ill wait for your next high-horse response now?

Edited by Crosstix