wandelaar

PVE: living on somebody elses island is worse than lawless

You basically have the same decay rates as in the lawless, plus you pay taxes and we still have to find out what happens on a potential change of ownership.
This does not look good at all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Thought PvE servers had no claims, so we needed to use the bank as a way to stop decay on our buildings, kinda like rust i guess. This does not bode well at all.

Edited by Ravenguard

The 4 day decay rate is stupid. I'm hoping it is sped up purely for PTR, but something tells me it's not.

They were meant to be introducing an auto-resource structure to pay upkeep for structures, yet there is no such structure in PTR and timers are 4 days, and the Devs don't explain this. I think we'll have to wait until 1.5 launches and find out first hand.

4 days is ok.  It means you can't logout for 4 days.  Say a long weekend.  It will be an issue for anyone going on holiday or a job overseas tho.  However, some items, should be on a much shorter decay rate or alternatives need to be in place.  A shorter decay rate also causes problems tho.

So lets see what else the devs fix. 

I am wondering though whether an unclaimed settlement acts like a lawless and therefore decay is 4 days. I don't know what happens when someone else claims the island on PvE yet as to whether my structures still have 4 days or if it changes. It makes sense for an unclaimed settlement to act like lawless in fairness, but no idea if that's what the devs have done.

Yeah, but what is the advantage for the majority of players to choose a non-lawless island? In the assumption that the vast majority of players in PVE is not part of the owning tribes.

That structures in unclaimed settlements behave like in lawless is fine, but when it is claimed something should be 'added value' ...

I thought you was supposed to inherit the flag decay protection - isn't that why you would agree to serf for the landlord?  So the flag is only for the owner?

Tbh, eqsy solution is that settlement islands change decay from 4 days to 20 days (like how flags were before patch).

That extra time would be the incentive for settling vs lawless.

They still need to figure out a solution for pillar spamming (maybe scaling of time based on # of blocks attached...)

Seems like there should be some incentive for settling, and so far I haven't seen one.  So hopefully the devs will start to see that.  As for pillar/foundation spamming... not sure how to fix it.. "unattached" structures decay faster would be a way, but isn't foolproof, then you just have 2X2 foundations set up all over.

Its easy to get rid of structure spam. Just outlaw it in the game rules. If a player that spams is reported kickban his company id for a day. When caught twice ban for a week. 3rd time: your out griefer. Steam id blocked.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Yuli1961 said:

Seems like there should be some incentive for settling, and so far I haven't seen one.  So hopefully the devs will start to see that.  As for pillar/foundation spamming... not sure how to fix it.. "unattached" structures decay faster would be a way, but isn't foolproof, then you just have 2X2 foundations set up all over.

Agreed that it wont stop X by Y spamming, but ypu could mitigate if they scale it right, ie 1 peice 15min, 2, 30 min, up to say 9 peices then ypu start hitting days. (Similar to CE's timer)

Wont stop it all, but makes it much harder to hide. At that point itd be on the settlement owners to clean up

Stop whining, slaves !

You receive exactly what you deserve by not supporting my campaign against the 1.5 slavery system.

Now feel free to feed your slavers at 50% tax.

• Like 1

They said there was going to be a resource upkeep for structures, not sure why it isn't in for testing right now then but I hope they go along those lines. 

If the flag islands are going to be just 4 day and then demolish then I will probably head straight to lawless, I don't see the difference between the two. I can't see them leaving it like lawless islands though, don't see the point in it, they could have just made everything lawless in that case.

27 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

They said there was going to be a resource upkeep for structures, not sure why it isn't in for testing right now then but I hope they go along those lines. 

If the flag islands are going to be just 4 day and then demolish then I will probably head straight to lawless, I don't see the difference between the two. I can't see them leaving it like lawless islands though, don't see the point in it, they could have just made everything lawless in that case.

I did think that maybe my structures on an unclaimed island had 4 days decay because it was unclaimed and therefore acts like lawless and if it becomes claimed it might change. However, I logged on this morning, found someone had claimed the island but still 4 day timer.

I'm pretty sure if the resource structure for structure upkeep was coming it would be part of the PTR though.

If the 4 days timer is only for the purpose of PTR then really that should be made clear, because everything I experience that is not clearly stated (i.e. like increased gathering rates etc) I will assume is what it is meant to be like in 1.5. I hope it does not stay as 4 days because we'd be back to square one.

• Like 1

I just want a longer period to be able to destroy structures that aren't ours on our island.

On 4/10/2019 at 11:33 AM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

I did think that maybe my structures on an unclaimed island had 4 days decay because it was unclaimed and therefore acts like lawless and if it becomes claimed it might change. However, I logged on this morning, found someone had claimed the island but still 4 day timer.

I'm pretty sure if the resource structure for structure upkeep was coming it would be part of the PTR though.

If the 4 days timer is only for the purpose of PTR then really that should be made clear, because everything I experience that is not clearly stated (i.e. like increased gathering rates etc) I will assume is what it is meant to be like in 1.5. I hope it does not stay as 4 days because we'd be back to square one.

It says in the notes 150 company limit, 10 day decay reduced to 6 hours. (for griefing)

It doesn't make much sense to have a standard 10 day decay if foundations etc collapse after 4 days.  So I "assume" it will also change to 10 days on 1.5.

Or maybe the intention is to not have settlements at all, but a roaming ocean living player base.  I found I was pulling into islands all day to wait for daylight, as running into sotd during a storm at night is impossible to dodge.  Although, they are a hell of alot easier to see.  Small rocks and other players shipyards are not.  I ran into one at full speed last night.  That was probably the scariest moment of my life.

Edited by Martyn

Just now, Martyn said:

It says in the notes 150 company limit, 10 day decay reduced to 6 hours. (for griefing)

It doesn't make much sense to have a standard 10 day decay if foundations etc collapse after 4 days.  So I "assume" it will also change to 10 days on 1.5.

Or maybe the intention is to not have settlements at all, but a roaming ocean living player base.  I found I was pulling into islands all day to wait for daylight, as running into sotd during a storm at night is impossible to dodge.  Although, they are a hell of alot easier to see.  Small rocks and other players shipyards are not.  I ran into one at full speed last night.  That was probably the scariest moment of my life.

Even 10 days is not sufficient when it comes to holidays, but certainly would be better than 4 days.

Yeh I'd prefer to see a 21 day grace period, clearly they think forcing people to stay ingame 24/7 is preferable.  I am actually surprised noones sued them for sleep deprivation, like people have done with blizzard.

Edited by Martyn

1 minute ago, Martyn said:

Yeh I'd prefer to see a 21 day grace period, clearly they think forcing people to stay ingame 24/7 is preferable.  I am actually surprised noones sued them for sleep deprivation, like people have done with blizzard.

Yeah but anyone that suffers from sleep deprivation because of a game only have themselves to blame because it's just a game. If this game keeps PvE structure decay as 4 days then i won't play anymore, won't make myself play constantly and suffer health issues because of it. 20 or 21 days like they changed it to pre-PTR is what it should be. I'll be happy with that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Martyn said:

We gotta get you a more exciting life it that was the scariest 🙂 hhehehehehe

Try escaping from a storm into a new zone and running right into a fleet of SotD - That'll get the ol adrenaline pumping 🙂

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Fynneous said:

Try escaping from a storm into a new zone and running right into a fleet of SotD - That'll get the ol adrenaline pumping 🙂

Did this on the first day of the official release.. when we had to rubberband along.  And on the day of the Sotd release, I didn't have time to go sailing into storms.. the Sotd came to my island and destroyed every ship and shipyard and half the bases, tames etc.

That's our sacrifice.. so you could sail in storms with them instead.