Captain Jack Shadow

Traveling into the wind.

Does it feel like to you, that the majority of your traveling is into the wind?  I think I might start tracking time, and direction of the wind, based on whether the wind is coming from the front half, or the back half.  Just feels like the majority of the time that it is coming from the front half.

• Like 1

The wind follows a cycle.  Circling clockwise 360 degrees every 6 hours.

I have not timed out the cycle from dead calm to full blow.

• Like 1

seems to me wind hits peak between 12 (north) and 3 and hits its low at around 9 then a storm whips up and once its over wind starts to pick up.

22 hours ago, Andargor said:

I'm pretty sure that's negativity bias 🙂

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negativity_bias

This. 

Also since one of the effects of sailing into the wind is to slow you down and lengthen the time required for that particular journey or part of it, there is a tendency by the very nature of the mechanic for this to tend to be true. When you're with the wind you get where you want to go faster, thus spending less time sailing under it's conditions.

Edited by boomervoncannon

7 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

This. 

Also since one of the effects of sailing into the wind is to slow you down and lengthen the time required for that particular journey or part of it, there is a tendency by the very nature of the mechanic for this to tend to be true. When you're with the wind you get where you want to go faster, thus spending less time sailing under it's conditions.

That's what I was thinking...that it might be a mechanic to slow you down, in which case, I hate that with a passion.  I don't need the game wasting my time, making me take longer to get from point A to point B.  I think I AM going to start tracking the wind direction, to see if this is the case.  If so, it will go into the category of reasons to move on, and play a different game.

If I want to go to an island, for treasure, or resources, and I am heading into the wind to get there, I should have the wind behind me, on the way back.

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

That's what I was thinking...that it might be a mechanic to slow you down, in which case, I hate that with a passion.  I don't need the game wasting my time, making me take longer to get from point A to point B.  I think I AM going to start tracking the wind direction, to see if this is the case.  If so, it will go into the category of reasons to move on, and play a different game.

If I want to go to an island, for treasure, or resources, and I am heading into the wind to get there, I should have the wind behind me, on the way back.

I hear you but just FYI a core problem mmo developers face is that the average player can chew through content much faster than it can be created. Thus mmo developers all the way back to Everquest have tried to balance getting you to spend time with activities within the game that aren’t chewing through content (of which travel time is a staple) against making you do too much of this to the point you quit. Thus the problem your are facing confronts every MMO player and developer for the past 20 years.

Also specifically to Atlas, this is where a lot of people overlook the value of handling sails, which decrease the negative impacts of sailing into the wind.

Edited by boomervoncannon

If the wind blew the same direction all the time it would make travel hell... Learn to use the wind and stop trying to change mechanics that actually work ffs.

19 hours ago, maimedwabbit said:

If the wind blew the same direction all the time it would make travel hell... Learn to use the wind and stop trying to change mechanics that actually work ffs.

We found the stray snowflake.