Jack Shandy

Foundation spam, Tax, & Claim suggestion

1. Make a structure limit on claimable land.

2. Claiming the land unlocks that limit.

3. Let the landowner add companies to a list unlocking structure limit.

4. List also includes negotiated tax rate for that company.

A structure limit of about 100 will allow for a small base, tame traps, or FOB’s, but will reduce foundation spam to a manageable limit.

Once claimed landowners can invite other companies to the unlocked limit, promoting communication. Also if owner is offline allows you to start building and leave a sign / note asking for invite.

If you now have a page for build limit invites you can add a field for a separate tax rate. You still get a island wide standard rate but for settlers you can have a more amicable rate.

5. Make the upkeep materials so that the taxes assist in the upkeep of the island.

Yes, you will be taxing treasure chests but that will mostly be visitors assisting your upkeep not the residents who pay taxes every day. I don’t mind a tax, but having your taxes assist in the upkeep of your home island feels a lot better than them just filling someone’s resource box.

As for setting upkeep to use materials, if you placed a fixed blueprint in the bank that made upkeep tokens (non-removable) and used the existing island variable to set the cost (you may need to do a bit of work tying the cost to resources available on each island, each island has a spawn table so use that). You can then make these to pay the upkeep. Going on holiday for a fortnight, make sure you have enough tokens in the bank to cover it, 2 / day is easy to work out.

Edited by Jack Shandy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually really good ideas. In about 3 hours fatty patch is coming, lets see what comes.

Edited by Willard

I would also like an option on the flag to allow only allies to build, or no building allowed except the owner and owner's company.  

3 hours ago, y0himba said:

I would also like an option on the flag to allow only allies to build, or no building allowed except the owner and owner's company.  

A drop down menu and fine tuning of who gets to build what.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, y0himba said:

Disallowing all but a few would be too selfish on a game of this size. Can't even build a tempory trap to tame a bear or whatever nice tames you have on that island?

I like these suggestions, I'd just add a couple.

1.)  Give the land-owner the ability to deny build rights or evict a toxic company by recording and inputting that Company's ID Code into an exclusion list, kind of like the old flag system had where you could give permission to a company to build but reverse where you can deny a company.  (This allows for a Company to deny a pillar spammer, but doesn't prevent trap building or starter bases and such)

2.)  When a land-owner adds a Company to the inclusion list that unlocks build limits it also increases a Company's decay rate from 4 days to 16-20 days.  (This allows more casual and smaller companies that are trying to build a "home" to not have to worry about maintaining their structures while on vacation, traveling, or if they can't log in except on weekends.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

I like these suggestions, I'd just add a couple.

1.)  Give the land-owner the ability to deny build rights or evict a toxic company by recording and inputting that Company's ID Code into an exclusion list, kind of like the old flag system had where you could give permission to a company to build but reverse where you can deny a company.  (This allows for a Company to deny a pillar spammer, but doesn't prevent trap building or starter bases and such)

2.)  When a land-owner adds a Company to the inclusion list that unlocks build limits it also increases a Company's decay rate from 4 days to 16-20 days.  (This allows more casual and smaller companies that are trying to build a "home" to not have to worry about maintaining their structures while on vacation, traveling, or if they can't log in except on weekends.

I like this, a lot.  To add to #1, the ability to 'evict' should include an option to destroy all of that company's structures, and automatically add them to the blacklist. I seriously think you are onto something here, and hope the devs see this. @Jatheish

Edited by y0himba

7 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

Disallowing all but a few would be too selfish on a game of this size. Can't even build a tempory trap to tame a bear or whatever nice tames you have on that island?

Ehh, how I hate that litter. "Temporary" means builder never removes it...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gnihar said:

Agreed,  Lawless islands were a huge, laggy mess of crap that wasn't removed by the owners, pillars, foundations. How about the player purchase a deed from the island owner that unlocks a longer decay time, with items built on land without a deed decaying in 6 hours.  That should be long enough to trap and tame.  Island owner can rescind the deed at any time and has 24 hours to destroy the structures of a toxic player whose deed has been taken away.  Owner must have enough gold to refund the deed.

Edited by y0himba

7 minutes ago, gnihar said:

I know what you mean, even on the PTR when i went to get a bear, saw about half a dozen abandoned traps (that was on the PVP PTR), My quick and dirty 16 pillar trap got used once and destroyed. ( I don't leave litter behind).

I wonder if they could implement a deed purchase system?  You can sell a deed to people who you think will be okay on your island. If they don't have a deed, their structures decay in 6 hours, if they do, 4 days.  Deed can be refunded at any time provided the owner has the gold.  Tenant has 24 hours to remove stuff they want, then the owner can destroy any structures or let them decay in 6 hours after that. This includes ships/shipyards. @Jatheish

I know our company was always OCD about removing our crap on lawless islands and other players' lands.

Edited by y0himba
My typing is horrible. Old hands...

36 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Don't like this, you could add everyone you come accros to this list and deny acces to to your island.

7 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

Don't like this, you could add everyone you come accros to this list and deny acces to to your island.

You COULD if you really wanted to be a complete dick of a landlord.  But it would take effort on their part to police the island every day and record all the ID's then travel back to the flag and input them one by one.  Really if the landlord is that much of a dick he'll be popping people's bases with the "E" wheel anyway, and if you log in to find your base completely gone, would you stay on that island anyway?

The idea of the system is kind of a protection against a troll that'll log in, pillar spam your island, log out and do the same thing again over and over everyday in an effort to grief you into leaving the island or giving up the claim.

I guess you could limit the black-list to something like 20 Company ID's, but then in the odd case that you do get a lot of legitimate griefers you wouldn't be able to deny them all.

1 hour ago, CoopedUp said:

You COULD if you really wanted to be a complete dick of a landlord.  But it would take effort on their part to police the island every day and record all the ID's then travel back to the flag and input them one by one.  Really if the landlord is that much of a dick he'll be popping people's bases with the "E" wheel anyway, and if you log in to find your base completely gone, would you stay on that island anyway?

The idea of the system is kind of a protection against a troll that'll log in, pillar spam your island, log out and do the same thing again over and over everyday in an effort to grief you into leaving the island or giving up the claim.

I guess you could limit the black-list to something like 20 Company ID's, but then in the odd case that you do get a lot of legitimate griefers you wouldn't be able to deny them all.

Not a bad idea, a limited number would ensure only griefers got added.

Here is my concern..

If you gave a 'small company' permission to build on the island.. and probably mark them as a Neutral Ally so you don't go shooting red names every-time you see them.

What is the protection the island owner has against said company if the decided to drop the Neutral Alliance and attack the owner?   your weakest point could be them..  😞
They can build up on the island.. watch your company.. monitor your company's activities...   and wait for the key moment to strike at your weakest time.

"i know today is wed.  & every wed they only have 1 guy online during the final 3 hours of the Combat window.  He's been talking about going and taming a Rhino 3 servers away.  Their weak points on that tower is here..   we have the stuff we can hammer them and if we do it fast enough by the time he gets the warning we are already in!"

Not to mention, what are they going to hit with?  The land-owner is responsible for any and all defense on an island besides for puckle guns unless they give permission and even then nothing on the island is damage-able unless the island is in the "Combat" period that the owner has set-up.

If another crew settles in, learns the habits and patterns of the Land-owner, builds up enough resources to sack the land-owner's fort without cannons, plans a reliable raid strategy, AND manages to execute the raid DURING a "Combat" phase while the land-owner is either defending, offline, or away ... Kudos.  That deserves a nod of recognition and proper execution of PvP in my opinion.