Sign in to follow this  
Martyn

Pve Thoughts.. Counter Measures to Griefers.

I'm bored..

So.. Chests etc are unlocked on the Pvp Ptr.  Likely will also be on the Pve Ptr as well.

Yes you can pin code them.  You can put them inside a building.  The doors are automatically locked.

I personally, like to double lock my entry, ie 2 doors, with the 2nd door at an angle to the first.  If anyone runs in, I can they stop them by not opening the 2nd door.

A griefing tactic on pve servers, to run in behind players to steal their stuff.

The Looms, Smithy Tables etc cannot be locked.   So you'll need to empty them or put them inside locked rooms.

On ships, even the Sloop, put chests under the deck for important stuff.  You can do this by building a wall down from the deck/ceiling, then adding a ceiling/floor at the bottom of the wall, this creates a floor under the sloop deck to place beds, smithy, chests etc on.  Which the locked deck door blocks access to.

Now I'm thinking..

Seabed exploits.. ships at anchor.. griefers building pillers to block them in.

Is it possible to place Shipyards onto top of foundations that are on the seabed?  And will launched ships be damaged if they drop onto the foundations.. what sort of distances are involved in the drop of the launching ship..  When you try to build a ship base, it proclaims the shipyard isn't clear, so can't build on top of foundations.  However, you can place foundations on seabed and then put your ship over them.

Could we build foundation based harbours.. for ships to park above? Which would protrude out into the sea? We could probably use pillers to walk down to seabed foundations further out? Could then place the giant gates on the foundations to create locked harbours? Can a large ship pass between the giant gate posts? Can't grief those..  This requires a large fairly shallow seabed and island, very few islands will allow this, which is apity really.

These are my thoughts.. if Grapeshot can't or won't counter the griefers.. maybe we can, with what we have.

Edited by Martyn

I'd find another hill to die on. If someones objective is to grieve then they will find a way. They always do.

Actually, they don't.  Often they get stuck inside my traps instead.

To end griefers spoil the game there is just one solution: enforced game rules.

If a player behaves in a griefing sort of fashion. Building spam, KOS outside of lawless islands, repeated killings, uses exploits, alll the above mentioned by you guys, there needs to be a reporting mechanism. For each violation the steam id is blocked from playing for a longer period of time. After 3 validated reports the steam id is blocked for a month. That gets rid of the buggers. Believe me.

• Like 3

On 4/8/2019 at 8:22 PM, Nari said:

I'd find another hill to die on. If someones objective is to grieve then they will find a way. They always do.

Sure. But should we throw our hands in the air, despair of the inevitable and announce that since there is no cure for cancer, fighting it is pointless?  There is a certain segment of humanity that has decided the fact their parents didn’t love them enough is the internet’s fault. I feel no particular compunction to make things easier for these misguided folks.

I believe in the inevitability of only a few things: entropy,  the inaccuracy of airline schedules, the erosion over time of the sock count in my wardrobe, and the location of my private cell phone number within the databases of telemarketers bent on selling me things I don’t want at times that couldn’t possibly be less convenient.

Edited by boomervoncannon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Yes the pillar spam might make me hate this game even more then i already do, and i love the pirate theme. I didn't play official of ark because of it.

I plan on giving lawless a go this time around....

i hate foundation spam although I realize  at a minimum you have to go a few feet away from your foundations or someone will place right up against you prohibiting you from replacing a wall you want to upgrade....

do pillars work the same as foundations in keeping someone from building right up your ass ?....

The PvE server has all of the workstation locks just like it previously had.  Chests too.

When you own a PvE island, non Company people cannot build within about 18-20 tiles of anything you have down.    So foundation spam if you want, to allocate future space.

Island Gold upkeep costs are taken out ever twelve (12) hours, not every 24.   The amount is the same as the initial claim amount.

The Tax Bank acts as a secondary access to the Claim Flag's bank.   Don't know if you can deposit gold there or not, didn't try that on the Tax Bank, but you can certainly use it to pull from the island's inventory,

Edited by Khaler

Once again, the key to foundation, is to remove the need for it, and the ability to do it.  Granted, no more claim flags, right?  I would bring them back for PvE, but make them limited.  You do not need monstrous bases that drop the frame rates to zero.  You should only have 3 or four of them.  No building outside of them.  While you can build outside of them, the structure decays in hours, and is not repairable.  This would make pillar/foundation not viable.  At the same time, this eliminates somebody building right beside you.  They can build close, but not right on top of you.