Sign in to follow this  
Salty Jack

Will living on a Lawless server be possible ?....

I am WAY underwhelmed with the new 1flag/owner per island system so I am thinking about going lawless....

I am afraid that when they add the decay system (does not seem to be in place yet on the PVP test server) a settler on lawless will have to log in each day to repair each piece of their base individually....

Not sure how you've understood the decay system..

It isn't that you walls start withering away, they simply go onto a 4 day counter.  If you remain offline for 4 days, they vanish.

And your tames, depending on what their timers are, die.

Any lockers etc on the ground will last awhile longer, but most items are timed to 4 days max.  Shipyards as well.

I thought I had read that structures on ALL the new servers would decay over time so you would have to keep mats in a repair structure to prevent said decay....

this would be on top of the 4 day lawless decay....

We are still wating on the PVE PTR to find out if there will be a resource structure or not. As for PVP. There wasn't anything like that. 

I to am thinking of going lawless. I had the whole claim flag. I don't want to make this game a job. Owning an island-well its a job!

• Like 2

Pretty much all I have been doing the last couple of days is abusing the change home server mechanic (I assume this will go away when we go back to live) to scout islands I wanted to settle on..... 

guess I’ll start scouting lawless lslands now....

I just think claimed islands are gonna be a grief fest. Id rather not deal with it personally. I had enough of that before the claim flags were changed multiple times. People always seemed happier on lawless islands.

Im guessing the claim flags are gonna be nearly identical on PVE as they are on PVP. Anyone can build etc with high tax rates. Low tax rates are gonna be swamped.

Grief fest for sure.... I can see settler joe finding a nice spot on a unclaimed island day one..... starts building his base.... 6 hours later big company claims island, tells settler joe he gotta go..... deletes his partial base....

I could then see settler joe dedicating 30 minutes of his daily gameplay hiding pillars/foundations inside the terrain where they won’t be seen....

Decay timer won’t matter cuz settler joe gonna spam more each day....

Lawless is bad. the radius as to how close to someone else you can build is much smaller. on pvp you would be wiped very easy. on pve you will be griefed a lot. I could come in to your lawless base and build walls around your base,ships and tames. lawless sucks.

• Like 2

Been playing on lawless for months and was much better than the flag system. I have to say though I was on an island that was full of friendly people with the exception of the odd one or two.

We did encounter foundation spam but if you place wooden posts down to map out where you want your structure then you shouldn't have much of a problem. I haven't played the test servers, I won't be taking part in them but value others who do and post feedback.

Depending on what I see from the PVE test servers I will try out a flag island and try to settle there, if I can't in the end I will more than likely move back to lawless. I'm not sure if lawless is going to be the same after the update 4 days to log in or demolish but I was happy with that, I'm sure most can log in once every 4 days.

I guess we'll soon find out how PVE servers will work out when they go up, I will be watching some streams who play them to get an idea of things. 

• Like 1

I think lawless will be pretty much the same as it was before. At least it seemed that way when I tried it out on the pvp test server, while waiting for the pve test server to come up. 

Two things are quite negative about lawless, in my opinion. They have been mentioned already but I agree with it: 1. 

4 Days is not much considering you might want to go on vacation for a week or so, not possible without losing the base. (Yes you can band up in a company but this is a bit trickier when playerbase is decreasing). 

2. Also, the radius of how close people can build to you is very very small. This still worked for me a long while. Until one day someone har spammed hundreds of Foundations next to my house.. 😂  Oh well, we will see how it all works out I suppose. 😊

Buttpirate....  if I build on a claimed island anyone (owner or random) can do the very same things to me there that they can do to me on lawless.... 

and that’s when the griefing begins....

2 hours ago, Salty Jack said:

Buttpirate....  if I build on a claimed island anyone (owner or random) can do the very same things to me there that they can do to me on lawless.... 

and that’s when the griefing begins....

yeah I was curious as to if it was just a landowner who could attack you or anyone.

5 hours ago, DannyUK said:

I'm not sure if lawless is going to be the same after the update 4 days to log in or demolish but I was happy with that, I'm sure most can log in once every 4 days. 

PVE test server is up. It's looks the same, 4 days to log on.

As of now, I expect to move back to lawless.

• Like 1

I have built my 9x3 house that has room for all crafting places, forge, loom, etc. I also built my small and large dockyard and laid the keels for a schooner and a galleon.  Enough trees to build an entire galleon even on regular rates within render. Pure copper nodes i can walk to and silk enough for a hundred sails.  This is all on a lawless island.

I have seen no drawbacks for being on lawless yet. Its still early though. Always a chance something will go badly wrong with lawless when the big patch hits.

What about repair structures?.... is decay enabled on the PVE test server?.... (I’m at work so I can’t check)....

I dont recall seeing a repair building as a choice to make. Also over the 2 hours at least there was no decay.  The lion chewing on my door doesn't count  🙂

So will structures vanish after 4 days or be demolishable? I have been just fine on Lawless since December and would like to go back home. I understand there are supposed to be some mechanics to deter spamming, is that a thing or more words? It might be too soon to ask this stuff but I thought I might venture it. 

When I get home I’m gonna see if we can build on Freeport as we can on the PVP test server.... 

if we can then I will assume that not everything is turned on.... or even coded for that matter....

if that is the case, It makes me sad that we can’t test what it’s REALLY gonna be like on live....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gomez Addams said:

So will structures vanish after 4 days or be demolishable? I have been just fine on Lawless since December and would like to go back home. I understand there are supposed to be some mechanics to deter spamming, is that a thing or more words? It might be too soon to ask this stuff but I thought I might venture it. 

It seems to be the old system. I dropped floors 3 hours ago. They are at 10000/10000 with a 4 day "decay demolish" timer at full. Not sure if that means the can be demolished by a player at 4 days like before or auto demolish.

• Thanks 1

I thought I saw on one of the update logs that they had nixed the "resource bank" idea when they got player feedback on lack of claim flags in PvE, which makes PvE claims basically lawless claims that are taxed... not sure how attractive that will be for anyone.  With the lack of real estate on the game in its prior configuration (1% of the player base owning 90% of the land) I had reconciled myself to living a "lawless life" from early on... there are issues (pillar/foundation spamming by assholes being the biggest) but at most locations, I was able to find good groups of people who werent out to screw everyone over... in fact were very helpful (at least on PvE).  

I tried out the PTR on PvP, even though Im not much of a PvP player, I found the Colonies potentially attractive, but after one night of gameplay looking for a home only to log off and find myself in shackles when I logged back in the next day, I went back to my roots on a lawless island and have had no issues (granted, with so few people playing, not much of a war state going on).

I'll try the PvE server tonight and see if it makes sense to do a settlement, but from what I see above, not sure what advantage you get from being in a settlement other than providing a tax base for the owner.  Havent tried to set up a player shop on a lawless server... so maybe that could be a drawback, if they can only be set up in settlements.  Was kinda looking forward to building a taming/trading business.

Getting some resin before I venture to a lawless to find out if its old system or new. Had to get some critters first cause building is so much easier with an elephant and rhino.

SoTDs seem to be fixed haven't encountered massive clusters yet. Traveled about 5 grids now

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

Good to know, they spanked me pretty good going into K9 the other night... ran out of wind in the middle of THREE squads of SotD's... needless to say, my ramshackle sloop did NOT survive... and only by luck and the grace of the RNG gods not putting 20 hammerheads in my path, was I able to swim to a small outcrop of rocks.

Edited by Yuli1961

10 hours ago, DannyUK said:

Been playing on lawless for months and was much better than the flag system. I have to say though I was on an island that was full of friendly people with the exception of the odd one or two.

We did encounter foundation spam but if you place wooden posts down to map out where you want your structure then you shouldn't have much of a problem. I haven't played the test servers, I won't be taking part in them but value others who do and post feedback.

Depending on what I see from the PVE test servers I will try out a flag island and try to settle there, if I can't in the end I will more than likely move back to lawless. I'm not sure if lawless is going to be the same after the update 4 days to log in or demolish but I was happy with that, I'm sure most can log in once every 4 days.

I guess we'll soon find out how PVE servers will work out when they go up, I will be watching some streams who play them to get an idea of things. 

I was on lawless during the whole PVP official on old atlas. Yes, I had to repel 1 or 2 invasions, but I survived and no one was troling me nor did they build near me. Maybe because I had swivelpuckel towers all around and spammed foundations literally 2 cm from one another.

Decay to structure on lawless has not been added yet. Repair structure never existed since it was for the claimless PvE servers. They 4 day timer is the same 4 day activity demo timer. Structure decay will be added along with the 4 day timer.