Sign in to follow this  
Salty Del

Thoughts on the PTR experience.

Having played a reasonable amount on the PvP PTR servers this weekend, I thought I’d share my thoughts on it as feedback, as well as get others to talk about their thoughts as well.

I had been having some frame rate issues on the live servers that I could not fix. My wife’s laptop was buttery smooth, while my tower was stuttering, and my PC is significantly more powerful than hers. Maybe something else, but I’ll chalk this up to performance improvements in the patch.

The new claim system. If you own the claim, it’s a good system. Upkeep can be a bit excessive on medium to large sized islands for solo/small company players, but small islands are easily manageable.

So far as I could tell, the gold cost to claim an island is on a sliding scale multiplier. The more island points it is, the higher the multiplier for the gold to purchase and upkeep the claim. The scale seems to be around 2.x for the smaller islands to maybe 4x for the larger islands. For example, we claimed a 53 point cost island. The upkeep cost is 162 gold. I think the purchase cost was the same, but I wasn’t paying attention. To happy to have found an open claim we thought we could afford. 162/53 gives you  3.06 as a multiplier. The bigger island we first looked at had a multiplier of about 3.6, and the smaller island we looked at after had a multiplier of about 2.3ish.

If you don’t own the claim, settling on a claimed island is a step up from lawless. Kind of. Yes, the claim owner has a period to demolish your structures and you have no recourse at all. But, I think some claim owners will realize that having other groups on the island are mutually beneficial.

The claim owner and other settlements do not have to worry about building deterioration (possibly PvP only), and the claim owner can mediate between settlements having a disagreement. Or just blast them both to bits for annoying them (PvP only).

The tax rate. Oh, the tax rate. If you thought it was bad before, have I got news for you. The 30% tax rate was bad enough, but the developers didn’t agree. So, they made it worse, by increasing the tax rate to 50% max.

I think that there’s a couple of side effects to the tax rate though. A low tax rate does make sense. I think that 10 to 15% is a fair tax rate (we set ours to 10%). My reasoning is that the claim owner has to pay upkeep on the island every 12 hours in gold. The smallish island we claimed was 162 gold every 12 hours. If you’re not online for 3 days, you have to have 972 gold sitting on the claim flag to pay for it. Imagine how much you’d need for a two week holiday.

Easy enough at 6x rates, but when they go back to 1x that could become difficult for some. If you have somewhat limited play time, a not insignificant amount has to be spent on getting gold to pay upkeep. The taxes do offset that effort by providing the claim owner resources that they may not otherwise have time to gather themselves.

The other side effect is that if an island has 50% taxes, you can be reasonably certain they don’t want anybody else settling on their island.

Do gems exist on the PTR at all? Across several islands on several different servers, in several biomes, we could not find any gems at all. Was this intentional to prevent people using the war declaration? We had originally planned on settling in the south-east temperate, it the metal there is silver, which requires gems to make alloy.

The new ships of the damned are really nice. They’re all still relatively easy to kill without many problems, except that now you’re more likely to encounter small fleets than just individual ships that just happen to be in the same area. The galleons do drop enough gold to be somewhat worthwhile. Oh, just make sure to stay out of range of the galleons. They have a lot more cannons than the brigantine ships do.

The shipwrecks are a nice addition. You can stop your ship above them and freedive down for the treasure. The treasure is just an upgrade of the flotsam loot, but enough so that we always tried to get them when we came across them. The diving suit I would say is a must have for treasure seekers. We’ve found three variations of the sunken ships so far, with each having a different path to the treasure.

The large stone walls are a nice addition for those that feel the need to hide behind massive walls. Fewer parts than gates, and I think they look a lot better than a wall of gates. Less flexibility for exit strategies in PvP though.

We sailed through a golden age ruins server, and I thought at first that the dark islands on the map were placeholders for islands that weren’t ready yet. We sailed towards it and saw nothing in the water there, except for a bit of a glow like you sometimes see on the islands. I didn’t realize until a few minutes later that that was actually one of the ocean trenches. I don’t think the diving suit goes for enough for you to get into the trench, just to the top edge of it, but we didn’t try.

I know there were several other small things that I noticed, like the fine treasure maps seemed to have more army of the damned than they used to, but those were the bigger ones that I found.

If you played on the PvP PTR this weekend, what did you think?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! This may have been unintentional, but you can build in the freeports. Maybe the structures there have the same decay rate as ships do?

As for the upkeep in gold for the claimed flag, with the bears and when people actually start doing proper treasure runs - it will be little to nothing to pay. The multiplier rates in combination with the OP bears made our gold storage fly through the roof so even for smaller companies I’m not worried at all about it. 

But look at that @Bolognapwny this is proper feedback. 

Edited by Percieval
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Salty Del said:

Oh yeah, I almost forgot! This may have been unintentional, but you can build in the freeports. Maybe the structures there have the same decay rate as ships do?

there is no dmg decay "as they said" on lawless aswell... built stuff on freeport the first day of ptr and it is still there so...

Edited by Wichtelman

6 hours ago, Salty Del said:

I think that there’s a couple of side effects to the tax rate though. A low tax rate does make sense. I think that 10 to 15% is a fair tax rate (we set ours to 10%). My reasoning is that the claim owner has to pay upkeep on the island every 12 hours in gold. The smallish island we claimed was 162 gold every 12 hours. If you’re not online for 3 days, you have to have 972 gold sitting on the claim flag to pay for it. Imagine how much you’d need for a two week holiday.

tbh i dont think larger companies need people on their islands at all to help with upkeep... any random people that are not splits of your own company are a risk to turn against you... i see foundation spams on the good islands to prevent said stuff...

Edited by Wichtelman

The building with no decay in freeports is a bug for sure, and will be removed. If not everyone will life in the freeports at zero risk.

2 hours ago, Wichtelman said:

tbh i dont think larger companies need people on their islands at all to help with upkeep... any random people that are not splits of your own company are a risk to turn against you... i see foundation spams on the good islands to prevent said stuff...

That is certainly one possibility. The best case scenario that I see is that having other groups on your island, if you develop a good relationship with them, can provide better security for all. There’s a higher probability of somebody being around when the island is attacked, and more people available to help defend.

In Empires, mega companies won’t have a need for this, but with the company size limits in Colonies there are benefits to grouping together. With the right groups of people.

33 minutes ago, Salty Del said:

In Empires, mega companies won’t have a need for this, but with the company size limits in Colonies there are benefits to grouping together.

well if a mega company splits up in like 5 groups on colonies to take an island there is no need for other groups and the upkeep cost is not high enough to actually matter "not that it would be any better if extremly expensive" if you consider how much players spent for their galleons and defense towers daily...

ofc it could be possible that a lot of stuff is bugged or not yet enabled but atm it is a mess... well ok the max 200 points + upk on islands might allow small companies to settle down on "lesser islands" no large company wants cuz of rare resources...

btw if you face people that think about stuff you are not able to claim an island from somebody cuz you never get to the flag...

Edited by Wichtelman

11 hours ago, Salty Del said:

Having played a reasonable amount on the PvP PTR servers this weekend, I thought I’d share my thoughts on it as feedback, as well as get others to talk about their thoughts as well.

I had been having some frame rate issues on the live servers that I could not fix. My wife’s laptop was buttery smooth, while my tower was stuttering, and my PC is significantly more powerful than hers. Maybe something else, but I’ll chalk this up to performance improvements in the patch.

The new claim system. If you own the claim, it’s a good system. Upkeep can be a bit excessive on medium to large sized islands for solo/small company players, but small islands are easily manageable.

So far as I could tell, the gold cost to claim an island is on a sliding scale multiplier. The more island points it is, the higher the multiplier for the gold to purchase and upkeep the claim. The scale seems to be around 2.x for the smaller islands to maybe 4x for the larger islands. For example, we claimed a 53 point cost island. The upkeep cost is 162 gold. I think the purchase cost was the same, but I wasn’t paying attention. To happy to have found an open claim we thought we could afford. 162/53 gives you  3.06 as a multiplier. The bigger island we first looked at had a multiplier of about 3.6, and the smaller island we looked at after had a multiplier of about 2.3ish.

If you don’t own the claim, settling on a claimed island is a step up from lawless. Kind of. Yes, the claim owner has a period to demolish your structures and you have no recourse at all. But, I think some claim owners will realize that having other groups on the island are mutually beneficial.

The claim owner and other settlements do not have to worry about building deterioration (possibly PvP only), and the claim owner can mediate between settlements having a disagreement. Or just blast them both to bits for annoying them (PvP only).

The tax rate. Oh, the tax rate. If you thought it was bad before, have I got news for you. The 30% tax rate was bad enough, but the developers didn’t agree. So, they made it worse, by increasing the tax rate to 50% max.

Easy enough at 6x rates, but when they go back to 1x that could become difficult for some. If you have somewhat limited play time, a not insignificant amount has to be spent on getting gold to pay upkeep. The taxes do offset that effort by providing the claim owner resources that they may not otherwise have time to gather themselves.

The other side effect is that if an island has 50% taxes, you can be reasonably certain they don’t want anybody else settling on their island.

Do gems exist on the PTR at all? Across several islands on several different servers, in several biomes, we could not find any gems at all. Was this intentional to prevent people using the war declaration? We had originally planned on settling in the south-east temperate, it the metal there is silver, which requires gems to make alloy.

The new ships of the damned are really nice. They’re all still relatively easy to kill without many problems, except that now you’re more likely to encounter small fleets than just individual ships that just happen to be in the same area. The galleons do drop enough gold to be somewhat worthwhile. Oh, just make sure to stay out of range of the galleons. They have a lot more cannons than the brigantine ships do.

The shipwrecks are a nice addition. You can stop your ship above them and freedive down for the treasure. The treasure is just an upgrade of the flotsam loot, but enough so that we always tried to get them when we came across them. The diving suit I would say is a must have for treasure seekers. We’ve found three variations of the sunken ships so far, with each having a different path to the treasure.

The large stone walls are a nice addition for those that feel the need to hide behind massive walls. Fewer parts than gates, and I think they look a lot better than a wall of gates. Less flexibility for exit strategies in PvP though.

We sailed through a golden age ruins server, and I thought at first that the dark islands on the map were placeholders for islands that weren’t ready yet. We sailed towards it and saw nothing in the water there, except for a bit of a glow like you sometimes see on the islands. I didn’t realize until a few minutes later that that was actually one of the ocean trenches. I don’t think the diving suit goes for enough for you to get into the trench, just to the top edge of it, but we didn’t try.

I know there were several other small things that I noticed, like the fine treasure maps seemed to have more army of the damned than they used to, but those were the bigger ones that I found.

Did you actually play or did you just skim through what others were saying.... because as a Land owner YOU CANNOT demolish anything on the island that isn't yours.  You have to destroy it.  The people you allow to live on your island cannon build cannons during peace time... During 9 hours of the day in combat phase however they can... so not understand why this is even a thing... when they can just build them anyways.....

8 hours ago, Percieval said:

As for the upkeep in gold for the claimed flag, with the bears and when people actually start doing proper treasure runs - it will be little to nothing to pay. The multiplier rates in combination with the OP bears made our gold storage fly through the roof so even for smaller companies I’m not worried at all about it. 

But look at that @Bolognapwny this is proper feedback. 

I agree that gold costs are stupid easy and everyone can amass thousands of gold very easily.  

Secondly this was not proper feedback... as you can tell he missed most of the things that need to be tested... this is literally just a post about what he "claims" to have done... when he made the statement about demolishing stuff I knew he hadn't actually played the PTR and didn't do any actual testing... other than buying an island maybe.

Im having fun testing the new stuff on the PTR. Although I did encounter a possible bug maybe some of you with more experience in the new claim system can help me with. My wife and I managed to take an island that was contested by one player. At one point he managed to replace our flag with his. We then replaced his flag with ours and held it for the rest of the combat phase. BUT when I logged on this morning, the flag was still ours, the island still showed as ours on the Atlas map but the upper right hand showed the area as the enemy clan?!?!?

Has anyone else run into this? Is is possible for there to be 2 flags on an island?

13 hours ago, Salty Del said:

Thanks for the post.

Gems can be found on mountain tops, and your area should have rubies there. Think they changed how they look. If you searched around the L cluster where climate is South-east temperate, you should have found the rubies.

Claim system works pretty much as you described (and thank you for the gold calculation), except the pinwheel destruction thing. Owners can not destroy anything with E, even if it is built 1 minute before.

People who played 50% tax do not want you there. Let them pay their own upkeep then. Personally, it is ok to have tenants because they make paying for island easier. I have it set on 22% now, and when thing goes live I will have x2 less.

Edited by gnihar

2 hours ago, Bolognapwny said:

Did you actually play or did you just skim through what others were saying.... because as a Land owner YOU CANNOT demolish anything on the island that isn't yours.  You have to destroy it.  The people you allow to live on your island cannon build cannons during peace time... During 9 hours of the day in combat phase however they can... so not understand why this is even a thing... when they can just build them anyways.....

Secondly this was not proper feedback... as you can tell he missed most of the things that need to be tested... this is literally just a post about what he "claims" to have done... when he made the statement about demolishing stuff I knew he hadn't actually played the PTR and didn't do any actual testing... other than buying an island maybe.

You are correct, in that I did not actually try to demolish any of the structures that were built on our claimed island. I did try to use the pinwheel on one, but the option did not come up, so I assumed that was because it was built before we claimed the island. I don’t have enough interest in that feature to test it further.

I provided as much feedback on the systems and things that I felt were most applicable to me. You apparently feel that other systems and things were more important, and that’s ok. That doesn’t mean that your or my feedback is more or less important, just on different parts of the game.

I have not read your feedback post, but I gather that there were some comments made about it, probably in a negative fashion. I’ll look up your post when I have time later so we can discuss how our experiences were different in a constructive fashion.

Thank you for your feedback.

33 minutes ago, 1eyedollar said:

Im having fun testing the new stuff on the PTR. Although I did encounter a possible bug maybe some of you with more experience in the new claim system can help me with. My wife and I managed to take an island that was contested by one player. At one point he managed to replace our flag with his. We then replaced his flag with ours and held it for the rest of the combat phase. BUT when I logged on this morning, the flag was still ours, the island still showed as ours on the Atlas map but the upper right hand showed the area as the enemy clan?!?!?

Has anyone else run into this? Is is possible for there to be 2 flags on an island?

I had this bug happen to me, relogging fixed it for me... I believe its just client side issue... (hopefully)

Ok, i tested everything. Can we start the regular 1.5 now please ?

47 minutes ago, Talono said:

Ok, i tested everything. Can we start the regular 1.5 now please ?

Did you practice your "yes Master, ofc Master, right away Master" ? 😛

Oh god. I can now see a bunch of people making characters with dark skin and naming them Kunta Kinte, saying things just like that.

For the record, I am not suggesting anybody actually do that, nor do I think it would be appropriate in any way, shape or form. It would be funny for about 5 seconds, until they think about what that actually represents.

I should also point out that actual slaves had no say in who their masters were. You may feel that the new claim system is like forced slavery, but in that case at least you get to shop around for your master.

I have been playing, and while I agree that there are some bright spots, there is still a lot wrong with this game, and the new rules need some serious fixing.

1. When we were building up, a guy came in full armor, and camped himself by the door to the small building we had crafting stations in.  This caused problems because if he gets in he can popcorn all your crafting stations.  Our new guys did not know that this was a thing, so they had a couple of stations by the shipyards.  They had learned on an unofficial, and those stations locked when you put them down.  So a guy simple ran up, took loot, and popcorned  the rest.  All they could do is grab as much as they could carry.   If you can't kill the people, we need to be able to lock our stations.  Simple as that.

2. Taming Crows, for instance, is not always easy.  Not when doing it solo.  You risk killing them, so you have to be somewhat methodical, and you have to punch before you would think.  Odd but you get used to it.  Problem I find is that just when I get them down to enough health, the delay to bring up a bola is painful, because the crows inevitably end up over your head as you try to pull it out.  So then you try to run away a bit, so that you can bola it.  But then it flies away, and comes back with half health.  So now you punch, and the cycle repeats.  Most of the problem here is due to the delays, but also with the fact that the Crow flies off.  Now why is this important?  Because I was able to get two high level crows...the 2nd one with the help of a friend.  But, as we were taking them, plus a monkey, to the base, all three were lost in a transition from one grid to another.  Just gone.  Sorry, with these kinds of problems, the game is turning into a chore.

3. Island imbalance.  This IS a problem.  A nice idea for PvE, but PvP needs balance.  Is meta gaming really that much of a mystery?  People test things out, and find even the smallest advantages.  Had nobody ever seen a DPS chart for a game?  For those who have not, DPS means Damage Per Second.  This is just one tool for figuring out which weapon you should use to do the most damage.  This is why you often see games with diverse weapons often end up with just a few of them being used by most people.  So the point you need to keep in mind is that this game, as PvP, is largely about production.  Producing.  How much time does it take you to get things made.  Well, when you are on certain islands that have pretty much everything that is needed, you are going to produce a lot faster than those who have to leave their island repeatedly, just for the basics.  You try to run these ships heavy, and you are just asking to be sunk.  If the SotD don't get you, a random PvPer will.  For instance, I have been on an island that had every resource you needed except salt.  That you could get all you needed in one run, without overloading your ship.  Even had the leaves that bears can pick up as thatch, which gives you tons of it quickly.  On the other hand, I have also been on islands that do not have many of the basics.  No sap, no metal nodes, no fiber, no salt, no gems, no crystal.  These will be the islands that the small tribes are able to claim...as if competing with a large tribe isn't already hard enough.  If this is not fixed, I don't see myself sticking with this game.

4. SotD right on the borders of the grid, and when you finally load in, you are already in trouble.  This has to go.  That is defeat hard coded into the game.

5. Ships get weighed down to easily.  I understand that the limiting factor is the need to keep repair resources balanced so that repair does not always win the battle.  But ships become too slow, too fast, when trying to gather resources from other islands, and other grids.  The new SotD are cool, but we are finding that the new additions, along with the addition of the schooners, causes us to have to keep the ships light.  To an extent this was always the case, but now, there seem to be many more SotD, plus the schooner is very fast, and Galleons hit hard enough that smaller ships aren't really the option they used to be.  Being fast and maneuverable is more important than ever.  The new SotD is great when you are looking for fun fights, but when you are trying to run cargo, it is not fun at all.  Plus, it is just one more thing that makes it harder for those on the resource poor islands.

6. Frame rates are better.  Some new upgrades in various little things, like the map bottles with their magical sounds, and white lions on the tundra islands.  The SotD are cool, I guess.  Was never really a fan of them myself.

2 hours ago, Bolognapwny said:

I had this bug happen to me, relogging fixed it for me... I believe its just client side issue... (hopefully)

Thaks for response. Issue cleared up for me after steam and client restart. I guess it is just a weird client side bug then. Cheers.

1 hour ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I have been playing, and while I agree that there are some bright spots, there is still a lot wrong with this game, and the new rules need some serious fixing.

1. When we were building up, a guy came in full armor, and camped himself by the door to the small building we had crafting stations in.  This caused problems because if he gets in he can popcorn all your crafting stations.  Our new guys did not know that this was a thing, so they had a couple of stations by the shipyards.  They had learned on an unofficial, and those stations locked when you put them down.  So a guy simple ran up, took loot, and popcorned  the rest.  All they could do is grab as much as they could carry.   If you can't kill the people, we need to be able to lock our stations.  Simple as that.

Apologizes for breaking down to the first point you made, but you do realize that crafting stations being locked down is not a great idea right?

Example....

I get home for dinner already made for me.... its sitting on the table, and there is this lock stopping me from eating my dinner at the table. I do not know the combo.

My work bench outside in the garage is sitting there locked up, and i can not fix my car now... this imaginary unrealistic lock keeps stopping me.

Just imagine how stupid that would be, as stupid as my examples.... Not trying to downplay your comments at all, but it is so unrealistic.

Now the worst example ill ever give.....

The beer fridge is locked!!! OH no...

Ill be very honest, not sure i am digging this ptr... i have not stepped into it, and i refuse to bug report until they pay us... but it is worse then the first system we had.

At least then we had some pvp fun even if the flag system was so broken.

I just see more grieving now then ever.

A pirates law, We can declare war, lets save up and attack them... We cant offline remember oh ya lets go buy a war token then.

Boring..... Should have made it factions instead of a pirate game....

You could have given us more shore defenses then a whole new attack system.

1 hour ago, Salty Del said:

I should also point out that actual slaves had no say in who their masters were. You may feel that the new claim system is like forced slavery, but in that case at least you get to shop around for your master.

It is a feudal system, full stop. And sadly you cant really "shop around" a lot, once you built all your stuff there it is a certain commitment to that island. Not t mention that you are at someones good will, as they can change it at any point as they see fit. If i learned one thing, especially in games with no sub... if the system promotes being a douche, chances are very high it will attract a lot of them.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Grongash said:

if the system promotes being a douche, chances are very high it will attract a lot of them.

Now isnt that the truth, the older you get the more douches you see...

AHAH

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sneakydude said:

Now isnt that the truth, the older you get the more douches you see...

AHAH

xd