Sign in to follow this  
Vtrump

Claims

I know the subject has been brought up, but people need to post how horribly the claim system is working in ptr. The settlement idea is not working well for all players. I have not got to try it yet but my husband did. He tried to build on a settlement with a 3 person company having ownership. They built turrets all around his house. They also kept breaking his things. Seems silly 3 ppl have that much control over a huge island ruining gameplay for others. Of coarse, they charged 50% tax. They had 4 brigs and 2 sloops just off taxes. 

It seems the designers think they have a game that ppl play nice together. The settlements are just a horrible idea. Pvp owners and pve will grief. I saw what pvp owners can do. I can only imagine that pve will be even worse. At least pvp you can get a little revenge.  Pve is going to be helpless. Owners will just be able to break whoever's things and take their stuff. The only players this will be fun for is the owners.

I personally do not want to ask to build somewhere. And there is also the chance of the owner to stop playing or not speaking the same language. One or 2 ppl should not have control of a whole island. I just dont understand why they just dont put a limit on claims which seems to be what everyone wants. In ptr, it seems like just alot if griefing and players having to gm the game. I wasn't going to post, but I do like the game and I want it to succeed. 

• Like 2

we all know that the systems isnt going to work , all they had to do was listen to players and REMOVE SEA CLAIMS AND LIMIT THE CLAIM FLAGS PER COMPANY 

• Like 4

To top it off, Companies can swap claims now.  So Company A goes to Company B's island and starts claiming it.  Company B goes to Company A's.  When claim complete Company A can attack Company B's settlement players immune from pvp damage.  And Company B can do the same to company A's.  Maximum pvp for Owners.  Everyone else is just cannon fodder for their fun and amusement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vtrump said:

I know the subject has been brought up, but people need to post how horribly the claim system is working in ptr. The settlement idea is not working well for all players. I have not got to try it yet but my husband did. He tried to build on a settlement with a 3 person company having ownership. They built turrets all around his house. They also kept breaking his things. Seems silly 3 ppl have that much control over a huge island ruining gameplay for others. Of coarse, they charged 50% tax. They had 4 brigs and 2 sloops just off taxes. 

The PTR just started so like anything else it's going to be a bumpy road until things settle down.  I don't think that the system can be judged that it "doesn't work" in a span of less then 24 hours before the system has really even had a chance to trigger an upkeep or settle out.  If your husband had all his stuff destroyed and the island is being taxed that heavily then I think it's time to move on.

Chances are right now that a LOT of people are being really short sighted with the claim system.  There is a lot of smaller companies that are taking advantage of the tax rates and ownership rules to raise tax rates into the sky and build all kinds of boats and stuff, forgetting that the system will come knocking and that they have to pay to keep that island.

Something I am curious of though is if there is a cool-down or increased cost to re-claim or claim a new island?  Because there should be.  I can't imagine that if you can claim an island for a couple hundred gold that instead of paying the upkeep you can just let the upkeep slide and immediately reclaim the island for another couple hundred gold every so often.

3 hours ago, CoopedUp said:

The PTR just started so like anything else it's going to be a bumpy road until things settle down.  I don't think that the system can be judged that it "doesn't work" in a span of less then 24 hours before the system has really even had a chance to trigger an upkeep or settle out.  If your husband had all his stuff destroyed and the island is being taxed that heavily then I think it's time to move on.

Chances are right now that a LOT of people are being really short sighted with the claim system.  There is a lot of smaller companies that are taking advantage of the tax rates and ownership rules to raise tax rates into the sky and build all kinds of boats and stuff, forgetting that the system will come knocking and that they have to pay to keep that island.

Something I am curious of though is if there is a cool-down or increased cost to re-claim or claim a new island?  Because there should be.  I can't imagine that if you can claim an island for a couple hundred gold that instead of paying the upkeep you can just let the upkeep slide and immediately reclaim the island for another couple hundred gold every so often.

Maybe they don't want or need to keep the island. But to put everything they have into their ships, then just take what they want from that point forward.  People are short sighted tho.  I reckon half of them will play 3-4 days, get sunk and quit.

I was in the southern part of e10 and there are 2 oslands so close together that one company had claim to both islands. This is a ridiculous. Why cant they just keep the old zoning system. And If people join neighboring company their claims join the compant but remain personally owned so if they dont like the company they can leave and not lose their built items. I tried the PTR all of an hour and i know this game is headed in the wrong direction. If PVE is the same i can promise i wont be back . This game has really sunk in the quicksand and the more they try to fix, the further its sinks. I feel i have lost a game i loved, forever. If fallout 4 was wiped and changed to fallout 76, id never buy another bethesda game. So looks like i wont buy any grapeshot associated games. Goodbye and fairwell atlas you will be missed but easily replaced.

• Like 1

As will you be.  Remember there's around 3000 chinese to everyone one of us.

12 minutes ago, travis843 said:

If PVE is the same i can promise i wont be back 

I think it is going to be very similar. Hopefully, they will listen to the players that just want claims with a limit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoopedUp said:

The island I am on was owned when I landed and lost its owner due to the gold running out (anybody can *see* the content of the flag's inventory). After a few hours of limbo it was owned once more and taxes were indeed raised to 50%. Which at this stage simply means I move to another Island. Not even for a test am i willing to pay that much in taxes.
There are many scenarios in which we will have to reconsider choices. I suspect I might stay very lightfooted.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wandelaar said:

There are many scenarios in which we will have to reconsider choices. I suspect I might stay very lightfooted.

Perhaps that is the underlying goal? 

Ship living only and Microtransactions for instanced ports/safe harbour?

There's no doubt that they will try to keep the game as close as ark for example, to try to keep players on the servers 24/7.  In ark if you leave for more than 2 weeks, everything you own decays.. that forces you to decide.. do I stay or do I go.. and if I go.. I'm uninstalling.

This is what they probably intend for Atlas.. we build ships, leave the islands, sail around, berth for the night, repair our ships next login, if we leave for more than a week, our ship sinks. So yeh, I wouldn't be surprised to see micros added at some point or some expensive alternative.

It would be nice, to be able to pack everything we own and put it into a virtual bottle.. put said bottle into a virtual bank and log out for 6 months.  Return and unpack everything to carry on playing.  This is how the majority of non sandbox games work.  I can log in and play my ten year old account of wow.. but I can't log in and play my 2-3 month old account of ark..

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Martyn said:

There's no doubt that they will try to keep the game as close as ark for example, to try to keep players on the servers 24/7.  In ark if you leave for more than 2 weeks, everything you own decays.. that forces you to decide.. do I stay or do I go.. and if I go.. I'm uninstalling.

This is what they probably intend for Atlas.. we build ships, leave the islands, sail around, berth for the night, repair our ships next login, if we leave for more than a week, our ship sinks. So yeh, I wouldn't be surprised to see micros added at some point or some expensive alternative.

It would be nice, to be able to pack everything we own and put it into a virtual bottle.. put said bottle into a virtual bank and log out for 6 months.  Return and unpack everything to carry on playing.  This is how the majority of non sandbox games work.  I can log in and play my ten year old account of wow.. but I can't log in and play my 2-3 month old account of ark..

thats exactly the reason i quit, and the reason i wont go back, if the game was super fun maybe i wouldnt mind but it isnt, and if i need a break from gaming i need no company to tell me "if you dont play you lose your shit"

11 hours ago, wandelaar said:

The island I am on was owned when I landed and lost its owner due to the gold running out (anybody can *see* the content of the flag's inventory). After a few hours of limbo it was owned once more and taxes were indeed raised to 50%. Which at this stage simply means I move to another Island. Not even for a test am i willing to pay that much in taxes.

i never understood why would they think that implementing a system in wich a % of your effort goes to another player would be nice/encouraging to players, to think they even raised it from 30% to 50%.....

I suspect they think that players will want to team together to support a settlement, everyone pooling resources etc, sharing resources.  They are probably idealists..who don't realise that the vast bulk of the unwashed.. I love that word.. are just selfish people who think all mmo and mp games are designed around their own narcissistic needs.  And that the very idea of paying more than 3-4% taxes is just a no go zone.   God help them when they leave america and realise everyone else is paying 50+% taxes irl..

Edited by Martyn

22 hours ago, Vtrump said:

It seems the designers think they have a game that ppl play nice together. The settlements are just a horrible idea. Pvp owners and pve will grief. I saw what pvp owners can do. I can only imagine that pve will be even worse. At least pvp you can get a little revenge.  Pve is going to be helpless. Owners will just be able to break whoever's things and take their stuff. The only players this will be fun for is the owners.

I personally do not want to ask to build somewhere. And there is also the chance of the owner to stop playing or not speaking the same language. One or 2 ppl should not have control of a whole island. I just dont understand why they just dont put a limit on claims which seems to be what everyone wants. In ptr, it seems like just alot if griefing and players having to gm the game. I wasn't going to post, but I do like the game and I want it to succeed. 

Seems to me like they simply didn't want anyone on their Settlement. Why didn't he spawn anywhere else with normal owner? 

Btw this will be a little problem for like a first week before people figure out they don't want to pay upkeep for Settlements they don't use. I aee that on PTR. First day everything was claimed, 12 hours later people startef to lose claimed areas because of upkeep, they another 12 hours later it most of them just keep 1 Settlement and Islands are unclaimed.

Edited by Willard

52 minutes ago, Willard said:

Seems to me like they simply didn't want anyone on their Settlement. Why didn't he spawn anywhere else with normal owner? 

He did go somewhere else, but it is the point that the island those ppl had was a very large one. I know they will would lose it if it wasnt increased everything. But look at it this way, say that your pve. You build a wonderful house. The owner comes by. OH that is to big. And breaks all your stuff due to not wanting you there, he doesn't like the building, or just because he wants the stuff in it (a way to pvp in pve). Everyone paid for the game. People should not have to ask to build somewhere. And if the owner does not speak the same language and you see [][][][][][][] how fun is that. Which will probably be most of the land owners. And it is possible that they could be sold for real money on another site by some ppl that are like hey lets dominate this game and sell this stuff for real money. People will pay for it. Hell they pay pro players just to rank up a number in other games. I love this game and will play it regardless of what they do with claims, but I just do not understand why they just cant put a limit on the claims esp. in pve.

Edited by Vtrump

6 hours ago, Martyn said:

I suspect they think that players will want to team together to support a settlement, everyone pooling resources etc, sharing resources.  They are probably idealists..who don't realise that the vast bulk of the unwashed.. I love that word.. are just selfish people who think all mmo and mp games are designed around their own narcissistic needs.  And that the very idea of paying more than 3-4% taxes is just a no go zone.   God help them when they leave america and realise everyone else is paying 50+% taxes irl..

50% taxes?

welcome to my country IRL. no joke.

37 minutes ago, Vtrump said:

He did go somewhere else, but it is the point that the island those ppl had was a very large one. I know they will would lose it if it wasnt increased everything. But look at it this way, say that your pve. You build a wonderful house. The owner comes by. OH that is to big. And breaks all your stuff due to not wanting you there, he doesn't like the building, or just because he wants the stuff in it (a way to pvp in pve). Everyone paid for the game. People should not have to ask to build somewhere. And if the owner does not speak the same language and you see [][][][][][][] how fun is that. Which will probably be most of the land owners. And it is possible that they could be sold for real money on another site by some ppl that are like hey lets dominate this game and sell this stuff for real money. People will pay for it. Hell they pay pro players just to rank up a number in other games. I love this game and will play it regardless of what they do with claims, but I just do not understand why they just cant put a limit on the claims esp. in pve.

This is a true doomsaying. Without any reason. Ofc everyone paid for the game. It doesn't mean there won't be any competition. It doesn't mean you can build everywhere you want simply because someone else is there. Is that too hard to come to grid and write "hey guys, our small company needs a place to live, anyone has place on their Settlement with reasonable taxes?" The answer will be mostly "yes no prob come here, but don't block metal notes etc., we got these and these taxes". 

I really don't know why people think majority of landowners are griefing idiots who enjoy destroying others stuff. Its PvE for christ sake, people don't play on PvE servers to grief others. These people play PvP.

Edited by Willard
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Willard said:

Is that too hard to come to grid and write "hey guys, our small company needs a place to live, 

Well theres if the owner isnt on and not all people speak English. There are just alot of barriers to it. When all that was needed was limits. Im not saying oh i paid for it let me do what I want. I am only saying that there are alot of things that stop this system from working. And as far as players being asses. There are a few that are not but from thousands of hours on ark and atlas. The jerks outweigh the nice people.

Edited by Vtrump

Then you move onto the next island and so on.  Zone is global chat.. ask in global.. goto island.  What is so difficult to understand?

53 minutes ago, Vtrump said:

Well theres if the owner isnt on and not all people speak English. There are just alot of barriers to it. When all that was needed was limits. Im not saying oh i paid for it let me do what I want. I am only saying that there are alot of things that stop this system from working. And as far as players being asses. There are a few that are not but from thousands of hours on ark and atlas. The jerks outweigh the nice people.

You are looking for excuses. You will be able to spawn on all sectors. Even if you don't claim Settlement on your own you will find piece of land after like 1 hour max. Spawn somewhere, ask if you can build and live there and what are the terms, move on with negative reactions. It won't be so hard.

Not everyone speaks english? True, but most people on EU are not native speakers either, im pretty sure you can find someone who speaks your language. 

Its an mmo, don't try to play it like single player game.

Edited by Willard

12 minutes ago, Willard said:

I really don't know why people think majority of landowners are griefing idiots who enjoy destroying others stuff. Its PvE for christ sake, people don't play on PvE servers to grief others.

You are correct in that a majority of the land-owners WOULD be reasonable and cooperative.  However I think right now everything needs to settle down OR the claim system needs some tweaking.  Currently I'm seeing a lot of people claim the flag initially, jack the tax rates up, hoard all the free resources that come in, then just let the upkeep lapse or let someone else steal it while they use all the free resources and the claim time to build freely for themselves.

I'm hoping in PvE it'll calm down and it won't be so much of a "me, me, me" attitude since people will be more looking to put down permanent bases/homes, but I also think that the upkeep should be in both gold and resources or the tax collection should be accessible by anyone based on the island.  I've been raided 3 times in the last 48 hours so I haven't been able to test shit ... if multiple companies put a tax bank down do the banks share an inventory perhaps?  Like if you move all the taxed resources into a bank will another company's bank on the island show the resources?  

12 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

You are correct in that a majority of the land-owners WOULD be reasonable and cooperative.  However I think right now everything needs to settle down OR the claim system needs some tweaking.  Currently I'm seeing a lot of people claim the flag initially, jack the tax rates up, hoard all the free resources that come in, then just let the upkeep lapse or let someone else steal it while they use all the free resources and the claim time to build freely for themselves.

I'm hoping in PvE it'll calm down and it won't be so much of a "me, me, me" attitude since people will be more looking to put down permanent bases/homes, but I also think that the upkeep should be in both gold and resources or the tax collection should be accessible by anyone based on the island.  I've been raided 3 times in the last 48 hours so I haven't been able to test shit ... if multiple companies put a tax bank down do the banks share an inventory perhaps?  Like if you move all the taxed resources into a bank will another company's bank on the island show the resources?  

Well rn every is in panic of not having land so everyone claims every island possible just like you say. It will possibly the same after wipe. But it will settle down in a few days. People will find their main Settlement and forget the rest which means there will be a lot of claimable islands like 3-4 days after wipe again.

Edited by Willard

20 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Currently I'm seeing a lot of people claim the flag initially, jack the tax rates up, hoard all the free resources that come in, then just let the upkeep lapse or let someone else steal it while they use all the free resources and the claim time to build freely for themselves.

The claims are coming and going pretty quickly on the ptr, but I think that's because everyone is just trying it to see how it works.  Many people on the ptr are just scouting out the new content for the live servers.  That's what I was doing there.

My expectation for pve is that the claims are going to go very fast, and they'll stay gone much longer, because people have already done their testing on the pvp ptr.   Also, I don't expect the game will let you put down a tax bank on land you haven't claimed.  I didn't try that, so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think it would work.

Edited by Winter Thorne

My suggestion for flag system on the Colonies PvP. Basicly it is good, but really small tribes  or tribes who became later are without chances to claim any island and if they create base on another tribe island, they must pay for it and they have nothing for it, because they will be probbably first, who will be robbed or destroyed during any attack agains owners island.
What about small modification. War and every attack can be started only against owner of island and another tribes on this island can be attacked only by owner? I think it will be good for both, owners and small tribes living on owner island. Small tribes will be protected and owner will have resources from another tribes on his island.
But there is one problem and I dont know how solve it. If owner will be in the middle of island and small tribes create walls around them. Maybe some „subflag“ for not owner tribes. Not owners will have only one limited place on owners island.
And I´m sorry for my english.

Having played with the claim system in PTR. I'm almost tempted to say screw islands and build on lawless for live. It's easy when stuff is 6x to get gold. The cost of upkeep on some of those flags-500-600 per 12 hours. A solo person could hold it. But that's an awful lot of treasure maps.

I had a pretty small island and no one wanted to live on it due to lack of resources. Face it everyone wants their own piece of paradise. I wish I coulda seen how much the upkeep went down if people were living on it. 

Overall for a PVE environment. I don't think its gonna go over well.  I'll do some testing further when the servers go live.

I don't like the tax rates. I think they are horrid. I've seen to many put it at 50%. I only had mine at 5% before someone wiped me out. I was ok with that since I intend to go over to the PVE PTR anyways. I did mourn for my lvl 28 rhino and bear a little. I didn't even get to ride them before they bit it.

As for lawless. Not much has seemed to change on that front. 4 days till decay. No extra upkeep involved. No headaches of people since everyone wanted to put a claim flag. Most lawless only had 1-2 people on them. Granted this is test and the most I seen was 3k people playing atlas.

Most people bombed the freeports with large shipyards. That I don't agree with. I get its anarchy rightnow. I really hope that doesn't carry over to live.

I live for the rates to slow down and live to be back. Building everything in 1 day just burns the game out for me.

I do wish they'd adjust the sotd spawns. I was excited when they talked about the changes. But its same shit different day. But now we have a gazillion galleon sotd's and the others that spawn with it. It's way to much and killing my will to adventure. I've seen so many sotd's on shorelines. Pathing is a mess. 

• Thanks 1