Sign in to follow this  
Vtrump

Claims

Lawless.. that's the word I Keep forgetting.  I was on a lawless island.. it was cool.  I could have actually fired my cannons in anger but never did, because as soon as anyone saw the mortor, they turned around and sailed or ran away.

Which is a good thing.. because I didn't have any ammo for it.

• Like 1

I guess im one of the few people that honestly don't care about the whole "claim flag" thing. Maybe because I had land on both live and ptr before wipes. As long as I can build a base. Hell put a few pillars out from my area to protect my base since you can build so close. I'm happy as a clam. 

I honestly don't want to be a slave to upkeep unless its a small island. Nor do I want to spend my days policing an island to make sure no one else is putting walls of gates or pillars everywhere. I dont want someone else dictating what i can and can't build either.

I don't think the numbers are going to return to their former glory. Most people are pretty turned off by the whole feudal system. Shame too. I was hoping to see a population increase but most people aren't willing to work together. 

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk
  • Like 1

I like clams.

And I don't mind being a slave.  They get less grief than most.

Even if you're a doormat.. at least people walk over you.. which is better than noone ever interacting at all.

😉

Of course.. this doormat might bite your legs off.

Edited by Martyn

Well I wont give out doomsday prophecy's till I see how the claim flags are going to be in PVE just yet. But my mind is working like this. You have island. So you want people to live on it. 

Asshat comes along and starts pillar bombing everything cause he wants your island. So now while your out trying to pay the upkeep. You come home to 100's of pillars everywhere. Now you get to spend the rest of your time hunting down all those pillars. Eventually you'll get tired of being griefed. Give island  up to asshat cause its just to much like work.

I thought they were going to implement structure upkeep to stop that but it seems they nixed the idea.

So the realist in me is thinking. Lawless just might be less of a headache in the long run.

1 hour ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Asshat comes along and starts pillar bombing everything cause he wants your island. So now while your out trying to pay the upkeep. You come home to 100's of pillars everywhere. Now you get to spend the rest of your time hunting down all those pillars. Eventually you'll get tired of being griefed. Give island  up to asshat cause its just to much like work.

Did you check if the claim flag after placing has an "exclusion" ability?  Like if you find your island bombed can you deny that Company build rights?

Also I think the Devs are hoping (and it may happen) is that if the landlord is nice that other Companies will come donate gold into the claim flag so that the landlord doesn't have to constantly work at just maintaining the upkeep.  It's a good idea, but I don't think the system is set-up properly yet to accomplish this ... never mind the assholes, people are lazy and don't want to run across the island every day to deposit gold for something that isn't giving them any direct immediate benefit a lot of the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoopedUp said:

Did you check if the claim flag after placing has an "exclusion" ability?  Like if you find your island bombed can you deny that Company build rights?

Also I think the Devs are hoping (and it may happen) is that if the landlord is nice that other Companies will come donate gold into the claim flag so that the landlord doesn't have to constantly work at just maintaining the upkeep.  It's a good idea, but I don't think the system is set-up properly yet to accomplish this ... never mind the assholes, people are lazy and don't want to run across the island every day to deposit gold for something that isn't giving them any direct immediate benefit a lot of the time.

Dunno yet hon. PVE PTR isn't up yet. Im guessing since you couldn't change it on PVPvE. It's probably not gonna be changeable on PVE. I think that's the direction they are trying to go. That is what keeps going through my head if you can't change it to company only or allied. 

They Need to Scale the Settlement points with company size...  50 members gets you 200,  25 members gets you 100  etc...  maybe even  a minimum of 5 players needed  for 50 points so any groups  under 5 strong can only be renters.

they should also scale ship cap and tame limit the same  way 

claims as a concept are working ok. results may vary per isle but that is expected. get a bad landlord, move.

the taxes are ruining peoples experience with what would otherwise be a decent system. people hike up the taxes to max and pay for their upkeep through taxes. completely defeats the whole point of upkeep. really really dumb that that was allowed to pass onto the ptr, that one doesn't even come close to passing the common sense test.

(i think we have a troll in headquarters)

11 hours ago, Meerkat said:

claims as a concept are working ok. results may vary per isle but that is expected. get a bad landlord, move.

the taxes are ruining peoples experience with what would otherwise be a decent system. people hike up the taxes to max and pay for their upkeep through taxes. completely defeats the whole point of upkeep. really really dumb that that was allowed to pass onto the ptr, that one doesn't even come close to passing the common sense test.

(i think we have a troll in headquarters)

See and theres the problem. People should not control a whole island. The claims worked fine just needed limits. People should not have to ask permission to build or worry about some troll owning one. 50% tax is just dumb. I hope thats just a ptr thing. But, if they leave it like it is so be it. I will still play it. Its bad but to me not game breaking.

Travelling around the PVP PTR. Buncha islands up for claim all over. Not just polar regions. Hell Im in J6 rightnow on an island that's claimable. Land is available. People are just finding out rather quickly. The cost of a claim isn't worth it for everyone. Now this is at 6x. Imagine at 1x what this will be like. 

I don't agree with the 50% tax. I could get my own island and hold my own island as a solo/small company person. Now do I want to go that route. Rightnow im gonna test lawless as soon as the PVE PTR comes up. 

People are so hellbent on a claim flag. It's not a bed of roses like you think. I actually slept great lastnight when I made the decision to not go a claim flag route for PVE PTR. I had claims from day 1. encountered the no sleep/griefing issues. Im not sure I want to go back to those issues.

On 4/7/2019 at 2:16 PM, Vtrump said:

I know the subject has been brought up, but people need to post how horribly the claim system is working in ptr. The settlement idea is not working well for all players. I have not got to try it yet but my husband did. He tried to build on a settlement with a 3 person company having ownership. They built turrets all around his house. They also kept breaking his things. Seems silly 3 ppl have that much control over a huge island ruining gameplay for others. Of coarse, they charged 50% tax. They had 4 brigs and 2 sloops just off taxes. 

It seems the designers think they have a game that ppl play nice together. The settlements are just a horrible idea. Pvp owners and pve will grief. I saw what pvp owners can do. I can only imagine that pve will be even worse. At least pvp you can get a little revenge.  Pve is going to be helpless. Owners will just be able to break whoever's things and take their stuff. The only players this will be fun for is the owners.

I personally do not want to ask to build somewhere. And there is also the chance of the owner to stop playing or not speaking the same language. One or 2 ppl should not have control of a whole island. I just dont understand why they just dont put a limit on claims which seems to be what everyone wants. In ptr, it seems like just alot if griefing and players having to gm the game. I wasn't going to post, but I do like the game and I want it to succeed. 

Personally I would allow settlers on my claim. Heck, why not? Provided they were decent people.

And if you built on my land without asking me first...well, bad idea.

2 hours ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Travelling around the PVP PTR. Buncha islands up for claim all over. Not just polar regions. Hell Im in J6 rightnow on an island that's claimable. Land is available. People are just finding out rather quickly. The cost of a claim isn't worth it for everyone. Now this is at 6x. Imagine at 1x what this will be like. 

I don't agree with the 50% tax. I could get my own island and hold my own island as a solo/small company person. Now do I want to go that route. Rightnow im gonna test lawless as soon as the PVE PTR comes up. 

People are so hellbent on a claim flag. It's not a bed of roses like you think. I actually slept great lastnight when I made the decision to not go a claim flag route for PVE PTR. I had claims from day 1. encountered the no sleep/griefing issues. Im not sure I want to go back to those issues.

I wanted to build on lawless too. 2 issues:

1. the distance between foundations is 5, while on claimed is 25. that means I can block unwanted settlers and raiders more easily on claimed with foundations.

2. no ORP period. Everyone can troll you when they like, an dI grew fond of ORP. Makes my rel life planning easier.

• Confused 1

On 4/8/2019 at 1:13 PM, Willard said:

I really don't know why people think majority of landowners are griefing idiots who enjoy destroying others stuff. Its PvE for christ sake, people don't play on PvE servers to grief others. These people play PvP.

where have u been playing ? did u miss the sinking of other player ships , the kiting of sotd to destroy other players bases , the blocking of shipyards , building pillars from ocean floor to just below surface to scuttle players ships ?all on pve , your last sentance is so untrue it scares me that is how u think pve is played .. 

21 minutes ago, gnihar said:

And if you built on my land without asking me first...well, bad idea.

u mean the limited islands that only the first and fastest 700 will get ?

players shouldn't need permission in A GAME yes A game that they paid the same for just to build and enjoy it , because they were at work when servers go live or insert other real life activity 

all you players that think it is your island and feel the need to give permission in game are suffering from some serious real life issues when they feel they need to be in charge and in control in a game , noone should need permission to build 

the devs have fucked this up bad if they  let this claim system go live , noone wanted it , noone asked for it , various polls all agreed JUST LIMIT THE FLAG CLAIMS .

• Like 1

Hahah I was on PVE got griefed and griefed and griefed again. When I tried to give up claim flags to nice people. Asian asshats would sit there and block the claim. Just terrible. I don't think much will change with the new system. They'll find new ways to grief. 

Yeah someone might block me in on Lawless. But not being a slave to babysitting a buncha people. Totally worth it.

2 hours ago, Sadie Blackhawk said:

Hahah I was on PVE got griefed and griefed and griefed again. When I tried to give up claim flags to nice people. Asian asshats would sit there and block the claim. Just terrible. I don't think much will change with the new system. They'll find new ways to grief. 

Yeah someone might block me in on Lawless. But not being a slave to babysitting a buncha people. Totally worth it.

Perhaps you are right. Some lawless islands are pure paradise and no one will contest you for it.

4 hours ago, UDO said:

u mean the limited islands that only the first and fastest 700 will get ?

players shouldn't need permission in A GAME yes A game that they paid the same for just to build and enjoy it , because they were at work when servers go live or insert other real life activity 

all you players that think it is your island and feel the need to give permission in game are suffering from some serious real life issues when they feel they need to be in charge and in control in a game , noone should need permission to build 

the devs have fucked this up bad if they  let this claim system go live , noone wanted it , noone asked for it , various polls all agreed JUST LIMIT THE FLAG CLAIMS .

You know, game is made this way, so that 1 company may control 1 or more island. Set taxes on it. And if someone is not happy about that island leadership - well, grab a gun and change it to yours.

Would love to know how things go for you Sadie.  Ive been mostly a PVE player, but tried out the PVP on PTR, and sitting on a decent spot for now on a lawless island, so will likely ride out the PTR here with some short forays to different locations once I get my SoTD killer ship built.  I dont get the decay thing in PVE claims... just makes it seem like a lawless island where I would now have to pay taxes for my hard work... where's the fun in that?  Still have to deal with decay if I go off on business or god help me, take a vacation.  I hope the devs are reading these posts and thinking about the risk/reward proposition of the new set up.  PVP Empires is just gonna be the same as before, no-lifers or hard core gamers looking to wipe out small groups or solo players.

The idea that they stated in the capt log around the Colonies version being more "small company and solo player friendly" is kind of idealistic when they have set things up not for mechantilism but feudalism.  I love this kind of game, I loved Ark and have enjoyed being part of the Atlas launch, and I'll likely keep playing with my small band of friends even after the new stuff comes out and "settles out" as someone stated above, but Grapeshot needs to decide what it wants this game to be... maybe once they do that, the players can decide if they still want to play it. 

Dont peddle a story that you want a world with trade and merchant shipping... with a smattering of pirateering going on in Colonies when you set up a world that still keeps all the land in the ownership of a small percentage of people who then dictate how the world works... its like little kids burning ants on the sidewalk with a magnifying glass... its not right... but kids will be doing it as long as they can find a magnifying glass.

Im very afraid for PvE under the current system, basically it will be a "pay to play" process, with the pay being virtual, but still limiting the fun and experience of everyone but land owners.  If I get no benefit for my taxes (increased decay time, ability to build shops, increased XP as a collective for example) then why got to a settlement at all, just go lawless and ride the tide.  At least before I could ally with another company and find a home spot to build a "permanent home" but I wont be able to do that anymore.

I get the comment above about sending a msg in Global to find a safe haven.. but I got forced into doing that in Ark... not interested in posting "who's the Alpha" everytime I narrowly escape a SoTD with my boat full of holes, looking for a place to repair it and just finding a greedy 12 year old troll profitting off my misfortune by taking half of everything I farm to get going again.  Thats what drove me and my clan to get a private server just to be able to play.  Maybe thats Grapeshots goal in the end... drive revenue by partnering with G-portal or others once people get fed up with the lack of ability to just play the game.  

I'm rooting for ya Grapeshot, I really am, but I hope you are taking into consideration who you want to play your game.  If its the "little guy" well, based on feedback so far, Id say you have your work cut out for you.

28 minutes ago, Yuli1961 said:

Would love to know how things go for you Sadie.  Ive been mostly a PVE player, but tried out the PVP on PTR, and sitting on a decent spot for now on a lawless island, so will likely ride out the PTR here with some short forays to different locations once I get my SoTD killer ship built.  I dont get the decay thing in PVE claims... just makes it seem like a lawless island where I would now have to pay taxes for my hard work... where's the fun in that?  Still have to deal with decay if I go off on business or god help me, take a vacation.  I hope the devs are reading these posts and thinking about the risk/reward proposition of the new set up.  PVP Empires is just gonna be the same as before, no-lifers or hard core gamers looking to wipe out small groups or solo players.

The idea that they stated in the capt log around the Colonies version being more "small company and solo player friendly" is kind of idealistic when they have set things up not for mechantilism but feudalism.  I love this kind of game, I loved Ark and have enjoyed being part of the Atlas launch, and I'll likely keep playing with my small band of friends even after the new stuff comes out and "settles out" as someone stated above, but Grapeshot needs to decide what it wants this game to be... maybe once they do that, the players can decide if they still want to play it. 

Dont peddle a story that you want a world with trade and merchant shipping... with a smattering of pirateering going on in Colonies when you set up a world that still keeps all the land in the ownership of a small percentage of people who then dictate how the world works... its like little kids burning ants on the sidewalk with a magnifying glass... its not right... but kids will be doing it as long as they can find a magnifying glass.

Im very afraid for PvE under the current system, basically it will be a "pay to play" process, with the pay being virtual, but still limiting the fun and experience of everyone but land owners.  If I get no benefit for my taxes (increased decay time, ability to build shops, increased XP as a collective for example) then why got to a settlement at all, just go lawless and ride the tide.  At least before I could ally with another company and find a home spot to build a "permanent home" but I wont be able to do that anymore.

I get the comment above about sending a msg in Global to find a safe haven.. but I got forced into doing that in Ark... not interested in posting "who's the Alpha" everytime I narrowly escape a SoTD with my boat full of holes, looking for a place to repair it and just finding a greedy 12 year old troll profitting off my misfortune by taking half of everything I farm to get going again.  Thats what drove me and my clan to get a private server just to be able to play.  Maybe thats Grapeshots goal in the end... drive revenue by partnering with G-portal or others once people get fed up with the lack of ability to just play the game.  

I'm rooting for ya Grapeshot, I really am, but I hope you are taking into consideration who you want to play your game.  If its the "little guy" well, based on feedback so far, Id say you have your work cut out for you.

They did add back in alliances to PVE.

From what we can tell. Same as old Lawless. 4 days. No extra fluff involved. I found a spot in N2 that seems to have most of the things you'll need. Originally on PVE I had bases in L10 and N14. PVP PTR I tried out F4. Kinda floating all over the map. But from my experience I enjoy the tundra more then anything. It's quiet. Things aren't quite as lethal. Dodging mean whales and sotd's to get cobalt and tin is quite the adventure!

I coulda had about a dozen islands of all sizes within the first hour of being logged in. Not even a treasure map done and I had over 200 gold. Flotsam and the ship wrecks are a good source of newbie income. I don't think they are with the 6x right now. It's what you see is what you get. Small island would easily be affordable with just that alone for several days. Now the girly girl that I am. Ran straight to freeport got crew and the Light Cyclops outfit-I know...if im gonna die im gonna look tribal doing it.

SoTD's seem to have been toned down. I decided to make the run through one of the golden age ruins. Got fired upon by a Lvl 34 Galleon. Schooner survived.

My issue with the current system- ok granted i'm a technical no lifer. Gimpy married military wife. I don't want to spend every minute breaking down stuff that people builid. Nor do I want to be a dictator-if I wanna be El Presidente. I play Tropico.

Most people have a thing against the Tundra. Really not sure why. So you get a bear. Farm a ton of resin/or the like. Put 4 mortar/pestles on you ship. Stop at a freeport gather a ton of fiber and before you know it. Well you are swimming in paste. Ok so now you have to go to west tundra to do it. I had to hit about 5 grids before I found some syrup. Out of my element up here.

Seems to be about even so far on PVE PTR. Plenty of islands left to grab but I think some are like me-been through the claim flag crap repeatedly and choose to go lawless for awhile. I know this is a bad test ground since the PTR won't have the player base. But im pretty confident-I probably won't have a lot of neighbors up here even with live. 

I'm stuck inbetween a rock and a hard place. Come Mid July we are getting stationed in Washington State. I know I wont have a comp for awhile or internet-hotel internet is rather crappy from what I can recall. So for me knowing that I could be gone up to a month. Lawless is going to work. 

I'm ok with starting over repeatedly. Hey its a game and keeps me amused during deployments.

Ok wait-if you build on someone elses Settlement there is decay like your living in lawless? PVP PTR I had my own island...

I so have to go check this out after I get settled on N2.

I like to tundra region too, like you said, quiet up there.... for now K9 on PVP is quiet but once the full release comes out... Im sure my neighbors wont be so neighborly, so will likely go back to PvE.  Hearing the whale song at night is kinda awesome.. looking forward to seeing the aurora borealas effect that was promised.  Will likely hang in K9 PvP til the full release just to play around.. the new island there is a bit frustrating, EVERYTHING you need EXCEPT Elephants, sap, crystal and gems (ok.. so they just have HALF of everything).  The sap thing is REALLY buggin me.. looked all over the new land mass Im on and havent found a bit.. plenty of copper, no sap for paste or alloy.  Heading over to see if I can figure out where they moved TorDown Key, which is where my original home was before I moved to M3.  If I cant find sap, I think I'm gonna pull the pin and switch over to PvE... well... depending on when the actual full launch happens... isnt that supposed to be tomorrow?  AH HAHAHAHAHAH, ok.. I can dream right?

If youre on PVE and need a compadre, look me up on global.. Yuli Surferdood... Im an old fart with insomnia, who is on most every night from 8p-2a  Eastern (so my son calls me a no-lifer too).   You seem like good people.  I run with a small group: a long time gamer friend, my 30 something son and son in law.  They whine a lot.. but are not too obnoxious :).  Most nights they wimp out by around 10pm so its just me, my Monkey Mr. Sniffles and my bear Beverly (or whatever their names will be once the update comes thru).