Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Winter Thorne

NA Pve - It's not a test server

Recommended Posts

If you wipe your live servers to put the test code on them, that's your new live version.

It would be very strange to wipe the live servers, put test code on it, patch that test code with fixes for whatever problems show up, and then declare that the test is done, and wipe the server again just to put the exact same code back onto the server.

Wouldn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

If you wipe your live servers to put the test code on them, that's your new live version.

It would be very strange to wipe the live servers, put test code on it, patch that test code with fixes for whatever problems show up, and then declare that the test is done, and wipe the server again just to put the exact same code back onto the server.

Wouldn't it?

What are you going on about? It's just the same as what they did with EU PvE. It's still a live test server. I fail to see the point you are making, and also why the need to even bring such as little thing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

What are you going on about? It's just the same as what they did with EU PvE. It's still a live test server. I fail to see the point you are making, and also why the need to even bring such as little thing up.

It's not a little thing!  It's a BFD..maybe.

Also, it's not the same as EU pve, which got wiped to put up a pvp test server.  It didn't get replaced with the newer version of its own server.

The original plan was to run the PTR(s) alongside the live servers, until the test was done, then wipe the live servers and restart them with the completed test code.  (In hindsight, since the PTRs turned out to be full 15x15 grids, that would have been dumb anyway.  Why not just leave that up as live when you're done with it?  No reason to keep moving the code around.)

For pve, that's not what's happening.  The live servers are already gone, a test server is coming up, and it'll be the only pve server running.  So at the end of the test what happens?  They've already wiped the live servers, and the only thing left to do is bring up a copy of the completed pve test.  But they've already got a running copy of the completed pve test up and running.  Assuming it's running on the actual hardware needed for a live server, why wipe it?  There's no reason to.

The only thing they might want to do is reset the skills, because everyone starts the ptr with all skills unlocked.  Aside from that, they should be good to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Winter Thorne said:

It's not a little thing!  It's a BFD..maybe.

Also, it's not the same as EU pve, which got wiped to put up a pvp test server.  It didn't get replaced with the newer version of its own server.

The original plan was to run the PTR(s) alongside the live servers, until the test was done, then wipe the live servers and restart them with the completed test code.  (In hindsight, since the PTRs turned out to be full 15x15 grids, that would have been dumb anyway.  Why not just leave that up as live when you're done with it?  No reason to keep moving the code around.)

For pve, that's not what's happening.  The live servers are already gone, a test server is coming up, and it'll be the only pve server running.  So at the end of the test what happens?  They've already wiped the live servers, and the only thing left to do is bring up a copy of the completed pve test.  But they've already got a running copy of the completed pve test up and running.  Assuming it's running on the actual hardware needed for a live server, why wipe it?  There's no reason to.

The only thing they might want to do is reset the skills, because everyone starts the ptr with all skills unlocked.  Aside from that, they should be good to go.

No idea what BFD is, Big Friendly Duck? 🤔

EU PvE got wiped to bring up PvP test server.

NA PvE is getting wiped to bring up PvE test server.

End of PTR comes and all servers get wiped and everything starts fresh.

Still don't see the point you have an issue with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The reason it will be a PTR is because it is going to wipe. Test, wipe(repeat as needed), then goes to live server hopeful wipe will not be needed for a while. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BFD= Big friendly duck, yes.

The point is there may be no reason to wipe the pve PTR.  Why wipe it, if at the end, it's got the version of the code you want running on live?  Why not just declare the ptr done and the mega release complete and just keep it up and running?

It's doesn't have to "go to live".    Assuming it's running on the real hardware used for live, it's already the live server.  Moving everything to a new server is like shoveling a pile of dirt 3 feet over into another pile of dirt.

It would really affect the way that people play on that server and the number of people that play on it.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have made it very clear that we are moving in to PTR and then wipe will occur with the mega update. Many people have chosen not to take part in the PTR. The outrage would be huge if they then revealed the PvE PTR is going to be the live version, even if they made a last minute announcement there will still be people that don't find out about that change, because lets be fair the Devs comms aren't great nor consistent.

The whole thing should start fresh, i.e. complete blanket wipe once the PTR is finished. It's got nothing to do with whether it's on the same hardware that the live version will run on, it's about making it fair for everyone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, on the PTR we currently have quite a few advantages to accelarate gameplay. Skills are completely unlocked and the rates are quite high.
One can easily argue that this gives an unfair advantage for those willing to test, not to mention a headstart.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 6:13 PM, Winter Thorne said:

BFD= Big friendly duck, yes.

The point is there may be no reason to wipe the pve PTR.  Why wipe it, if at the end, it's got the version of the code you want running on live?  Why not just declare the ptr done and the mega release complete and just keep it up and running?

It's doesn't have to "go to live".    Assuming it's running on the real hardware used for live, it's already the live server.  Moving everything to a new server is like shoveling a pile of dirt 3 feet over into another pile of dirt.

It would really affect the way that people play on that server and the number of people that play on it.

Clearly your understanding of the BFD is as much as your understanding is of the Pve PTR..

Yes.. lets just start everyone off at 6x rates.. when they've filled their boots, we'll throttle all the new players back to 1.0 rates.  That'll work!! Not.

Not to mention everything unlocked.. they wanted to wipe the servers because of mass exploitation and general exploit/thievery going on and duping etc.  And you want 6x rates and everything unlocked at start of what will continue to be the Pve Network..

The balls on this one! 😉

See.. getting old is getting to you as well.  You're giving Guy Thorn on his Brush too much ammunition.

 

Edited by Martyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 1:33 PM, wandelaar said:

Also, on the PTR we currently have quite a few advantages to accelarate gameplay. Skills are completely unlocked and the rates are quite high.
One can easily argue that this gives an unfair advantage for those willing to test, not to mention a headstart.

Does it matter, though?  The whole EA is a test.

 

On 4/7/2019 at 1:28 PM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

They have made it very clear that we are moving in to PTR and then wipe will occur with the mega update. Many people have chosen not to take part in the PTR. The outrage would be huge if they then revealed the PvE PTR is going to be the live version, even if they made a last minute announcement there will still be people that don't find out about that change, because lets be fair the Devs comms aren't great nor consistent.

The whole thing should start fresh, i.e. complete blanket wipe once the PTR is finished. It's got nothing to do with whether it's on the same hardware that the live version will run on, it's about making it fair for everyone.

Yeah, that was my worry with it, although, you know they also hadn't planned to wipe NA pve for testing either, so who knows?  On the other hand, none of this is fair.  It's not fair to the people who can't play for the first 4 hours  the servers go live, and even more unfair to people who will be starting the game 3 months from now.

It does have a bit to do with whether it's the same hardware.  If it wasn't, it would definitely need a fresh start on the right hardware.  If it was, then aside from anyone crying unfair, it's a useless exercise to move code from one set of hardware to an identical set of hardware.  If it's the real mega code, and it's sitting right where it needs to be, I'd just let it run, if it were me.  (But I would have told everyone plainly in advance so they could start up on there if they wished...something these guys don't usually do.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 4/7/2019 at 1:28 PM, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

They have made it very clear that we are moving in to PTR and then wipe will occur with the mega update. Many people have chosen not to take part in the PTR. The outrage would be huge if they then revealed the PvE PTR is going to be the live version, even if they made a last minute announcement there will still be people that don't find out about that change, because lets be fair the Devs comms aren't great nor consistent.

The whole thing should start fresh, i.e. complete blanket wipe once the PTR is finished. It's got nothing to do with whether it's on the same hardware that the live version will run on, it's about making it fair for everyone.

OK, so the PTR is a test server that will be wiped again? When that is wiped the mega update will go live correct? If so, any idea when that will go live? Asking because Im confused as to whats going on.  I see no reason to play the PTR if its going to get wiped soon.

 

Edited by =MGC=Ranger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

OK, so the PTR is a test server that will be wiped again? When that is wiped the mega update will go live correct? If so, any idea when that will go live? Asking because Im confused as to whats going on.  I see no reason to play the PTR if its going to get wiped soon.

Basically it's to test if the new systems, islands etc are compatible with pve way of playing.  See if there's any new exploits or bugs noone else has noticed.

Also, it'll give all the pve'ers who are forced to play on the ptr pvp server somewhere safe and huggy to live.  😄

Then in about a weeks time, if all is good.. or at least good enough.. it all get's wiped again and 1.5 goes live.  Pvp  Colonies and Empires.  And Pve..whatever.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Basically it's to test if the new systems, islands etc are compatible with pve way of playing.  See if there's any new exploits or bugs noone else has noticed.

Also, it'll give all the pve'ers who are forced to play on the ptr pvp server somewhere safe and huggy to live.  😄

Then in about a weeks time, if all is good.. or at least good enough.. it all get's wiped again and 1.5 goes live.  Pvp  Colonies and Empires.  And Pve..whatever.

 

Thanks for the breakdown bud! Yeah, wow pretty damn confusing lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, =MGC=Ranger said:

OK, so the PTR is a test server that will be wiped again? When that is wiped the mega update will go live correct? If so, any idea when that will go live? Asking because Im confused as to whats going on.  I see no reason to play the PTR if its going to get wiped soon.

 

The PTR is meant to last a week, or at least the PvP one was, the PvE one was meant to come up yesterday. Then the 1.5 mega update and wipe is meant to happen 11th April, but considering we are on 9th April now (well most countries are) and the PvE PTR hasn't even gone up, and I've read a lot of issues coming from PvP PTR i'm pretty confident to say that I believe 1.5 mega update and wipe will not be this week, more likely next week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

i'm pretty confident to say that I believe 1.5 mega update and wipe will not be this week, more likely next week.

 

May 1 is a good day 😀

 

20.02.2020 - Generally a wonderful date! :anchor:

Edited by Konvar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have the devs really kept promises thus far? OP you where not really too concerned about this announcement i hope? Seeing as the devs are going to push this to live anyways and fix the bugs for the next month.

Nothing we see is truth anymore. What is truth is the negative reviews. It only gets worse from now on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sneakydude said:

Have the devs really kept promises thus far? OP you where not really too concerned about this announcement i hope? Seeing as the devs are going to push this to live anyways and fix the bugs for the next month.

Nothing we see is truth anymore. What is truth is the negative reviews. It only gets worse from now on.

Ssshhh, don't tell Guybrush, he probably will tell you all is good and not to worry. It's us who do this, not the company who made the game.

2 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The PTR is meant to last a week, or at least the PvP one was, the PvE one was meant to come up yesterday. Then the 1.5 mega update and wipe is meant to happen 11th April, but considering we are on 9th April now (well most countries are) and the PvE PTR hasn't even gone up, and I've read a lot of issues coming from PvP PTR i'm pretty confident to say that I believe 1.5 mega update and wipe will not be this week, more likely next week.

Don't be confident, you'll fall hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Cpt.Yarrr said:

Ssshhh, don't tell Guybrush, he probably will tell you all is good and not to worry. It's us who do this, not the company who made the game.

Don't be confident, you'll fall hard.

So me saying i'm pretty confident 1.5 mega update and wipe won't happen this week means i'll probably fall hard, which means you are saying it is likely to happen this week? 🤔

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

So me saying i'm pretty confident 1.5 mega update and wipe won't happen this week means i'll probably fall hard, which means you are saying it is likely to happen this week? 🤔

It's a sum of all. You stated a few times dates wich where all delayed. Just take a look at your posts the last weeks, this mega patch will not happen this or next week. Before they analized all data, it will be may at the very least. After that, they will give a date for the mega update. Wich, offcourse, will be delayed.

End of may before we can see something. But maybe you're right, cause we all hope that timemanagement finally finds the way to the company.

Just to be clear, I've been way too patience when the ARKteam anounced delay after delay for 3 years. Even hoped for better times when Atlas came out. That hope has been shattered into the ground.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Sneakydude said:

Have the devs really kept promises thus far? OP you where not really too concerned about this announcement i hope? Seeing as the devs are going to push this to live anyways and fix the bugs for the next month.

Nothing we see is truth anymore. What is truth is the negative reviews. It only gets worse from now on.

No, I'm not concerned about any of it really.  I hope that whenever they wipe and bring up a new server, it's at a time I can be in the game to restart and do the land rush, but that's about it.  I hate the land rush, btw, and the idea that if you're not right there when it opens up, you don't get to own land.  I don't mind the wipes.  I've always liked the beginnings of games the best anyway.  

I would just like a little more communication about it, so that I can plan my time better.  There's always a huge to-do list for me, and I'd rather they say in the morning "It's not going to be today, or it's at least 6 hours out" than just say nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

The PTR is meant to last a week, or at least the PvP one was, the PvE one was meant to come up yesterday. Then the 1.5 mega update and wipe is meant to happen 11th April, but considering we are on 9th April now (well most countries are) and the PvE PTR hasn't even gone up, and I've read a lot of issues coming from PvP PTR i'm pretty confident to say that I believe 1.5 mega update and wipe will not be this week, more likely next week.

Thanks for the clarification. Man I realize this is an EA game, but in all the games I've tested, this developer is the worst at keeping deadlines and the worst in communication. I have yet to see part of the dev team interact with the forums. Their poor work ethic has done irreparable damage to the player base of this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well, i hope not update and wipe this week, better next week on holydays :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not concerned.  Playbase is back down to around 1500.  They're probably mostly on the non ptrs.  Catapulting themselves through the air for giggles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/7/2019 at 5:50 AM, Winter Thorne said:

If you wipe your live servers to put the test code on them, that's your new live version.

It would be very strange to wipe the live servers, put test code on it, patch that test code with fixes for whatever problems show up, and then declare that the test is done, and wipe the server again just to put the exact same code back onto the server.

Wouldn't it?

Not exactly.

The point is to get a version that is patched and stable, and the second 'mini-wipe' and reloading of the final patched version is to get rid of all the things done during 6x rates, griefing, and any junk that occured before the many patches. 

I doubt I explained that very well. Not sure how to do it really but I do get it. 

When they do the official launch, they will take the final version from the PTRs and use that to go live/official launch with. They will no doubt set the rates back to normal (getting rid of the 6x) and wipe characters that, right now, have all skills unlocked, so we all start over on an even playing field. 

Again, sorry if I didn't explain that right. I tried lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×