MisterMyztik

The new flag system

So I was wayyy too late logging onto the PTR to actually test how the placement worked of the flags and would appreciate feedback from those with firsthand experience here.

Some things I have seen which cause me to raise an eyebrow:

You seem to be able to place your flag anywhere on the island in order to "capture" the island..

This 1 flag anywhere system raises some concerns for me; 

• Terrain blocking: Islands like Kindercour on O9 have peaks where you are able to place a flag that is impossible to contest from ground level due to the spherical nature of the flag radius. These islands could potentially be captured by placing the flag on the highest peak and then secured by stopping anyone from climbing high enough to contest with their own flag
  • Build blocking: Placing a flag anywhere (or more specifically the requirement to contest a flag by placing your own flag within the sphere of the flag radius/influence) will enable clans to deploy significant unassailable defences. Whilst I believe this should be a somewhat viable strategy in terms of fortifications with these changes and the fact that the owning company can attack outside companies at any time 24/7 seems like it will make it impossible for an invading force. 

I had assumed each island would have, for want of better words... hardpoints or headquarters which would need to be contested and secured by the claiming party, I had also assumed that these hard points would have a radius around them in which nothing (or limited structures) would be able to be built. You would still be able to fortify around the region but you would require towers rather than be able to completely surround the flag radius.

Again, would appreciate feedback if I have misinterpreted the functionality and general discussion is always welcome 🙂

Yep people will put their flags inside buildings, on top of mountains etc.. But maybe it should be this way.

That said, I think islands should be split into specific areas, each with it's own flag, placed in a unique location.  Allowing several settlements to co exist on a given island.

• Like 1