Sign in to follow this  
Linea

Tax rates can be set too high. It effectively prevents normal players from building on claimable islands at all while still allows griefers to build or spam obstacles.
Great way to get the bad without the good from this new system and normal players will be all on lawless again exactly like before.
If the server population should increase in the future we get the same problems that the game had at launch just bigger as its only 1 player per island now.

• Like 1

50% tax is way too high.

30% should be maximum tax.

Otherwise it turns into:

Grind to build a base...
Grind even more because 50% of resources grinded are taxed.
Grind even more because structures have an upkeep.

I don't know what the obsession is with taxing in this game.

• Like 2

I hope thats a joke? I came across an island that had the taxes set to 50%.... The whole master-slave Feudal system is already crap as it is, dont you think 50% taxes is a bit harsh? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

There was a topic, literally one below yours that already discusses taxation.

If you dont sit here refreshing the already open page it is not, and the "suggested topics" didnt bring up squat.

Honestly even 30% if to high, its free mats your getting which encourages people just to be lazy and get others to do work for them, if they don't then they rule with an iron fist, not the kinda game play we should have promoted.

15% id say is the max and make it so the Clan needs to upgrade clan perks to unlock higher taxes.

30% may still be too high, but I say that should be the maximum and the amount of tax that can be set is based on the size of the island, kinda like claiming islands works based on points. The larger islands should be able to set tax upto a max of 30% but the smaller islands upto a max of 15%, or something along those lines. To me that makes more sense. But 50% is definitely a no no. @Dollie ideas for thought.

I thought the tax rates were meant to help pay the claim upkeep.  Seems weird that they're not.  Not a big fan of the upkeep being gold instead of mats.

Eh Winter when people start doing treasure maps. The gold will go into the flag for upkeep. Still pretty early on yet. Unless they changed that where treasure maps no longer go into them.

But I agree I started building on an island-someone claimed it and set tax to 50%. I busted everything down and moved. I set my tax at 5% after I seen that no mats needed for upkeep.

Edited by Sadie Blackhawk

6 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

50% tax is way too high.

30% should be maximum tax.

Otherwise it turns into:

Grind to build a base...
Grind even more because 50% of resources grinded are taxed.
Grind even more because structures have an upkeep.

I don't know what the obsession is with taxing in this game.

No 90% is fair.  50% should be minimum.

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

I thought the tax rates were meant to help pay the claim upkeep.  Seems weird that they're not.  Not a big fan of the upkeep being gold instead of mats.

Wait, what?  I know that "claiming" an island takes some gold, can anyone else confirm that all the upkeep needs is gold too?

39 minutes ago, CoopedUp said:

Wait, what?  I know that "claiming" an island takes some gold, can anyone else confirm that all the upkeep needs is gold too?

As of yesterday, I couldn't put any mats into the flag inventory at all, only gold coins.  Haven't tried it today.  So it's either all gold, or it's bugged.  Hard to tell what the bugs are when you're not sure how things should be working.

3 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Hard to tell what the bugs are when you're not sure how things should be working.

True enough.  But that just doesn't seem right to me.  I thought the idea of the taxes was that a fair portion of ALL the resources would be needed to pay the upkeep and any "extra" was so that the landowner could set up defenses to protect his tenants from raiders.

I mean if the upkeep is just gold and you can tax every random person that lands on shore and pops a treasure chest then the Dev's comment that "it would be extremely difficult for any one company to maintain an island's upkeep solo" doesn't make any sense.  With a 50% tax rate it'll probably be easy to pay the upkeep from whatever treasure chests are dug up on the island.

At 6x rates.. even at 90% or the avg 50% you don't really notice it. It's just a couple extra rocks or trees to hit.

At basic rate it might be alot but even then.. it's a much easier way to teleport goods from gathering point to the bank.  Put your smithy etc next to the bank and heyho you've just cut your gathering speed ten fold.

I might be dumb.. but I'm still smarter than you.

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

As of yesterday, I couldn't put any mats into the flag inventory at all, only gold coins.  Haven't tried it today.  So it's either all gold, or it's bugged.  Hard to tell what the bugs are when you're not sure how things should be working.

But surely.. it's all explained in the patchnotes?  Maybe some reading is needed? 😉

Edited by Martyn
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Martyn said:

At 6x rates.. even at 90% or the avg 50% you don't really notice it. It's just a couple extra rocks or trees to hit.

At basic rate it might be alot but even then.. it's a much easier way to teleport goods from gathering point to the bank.  Put your smithy etc next to the bank and heyho you've just cut your gathering speed ten fold.

I might be dumb.. but I'm still smarter than you.

At 90% you don't really notice it?

Lets say a tree gets me 100 wood, I walk away with 10 wood and the settlement owner gets 90 wood. You think walking away with 10 wood is "you don't really notice it". :classic_blink:

• Like 1

Not at 6x rate.. it's almost like gathering at normal speed.. really.  And they can give you the wood back etc at the tax bank.  It's essentially a glorified resources teleporter!!

As it is most of the 'worst' islands are at 50% that's around 125 wood per tree in your pocket and in the bank.  Sure if you don't get on with your owners.. but that's an issue you have.. not the system.  Although as stated above, it is very exploitable.

Edited by Martyn

1 minute ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Why the hell are you talking about 6x rates? Who cares what the rates are on PTR, the issue here is 50% tax when it goes live.

Why the hell are you complaining about the PTR Rates.. when it goes live, maybe they'll adjust them.. or maybe not.  Even so, it's still a fantastic way of teleporting resources across an entire island.

Just now, Martyn said:

Why the hell are you complaining about the PTR Rates.. when it goes live, maybe they'll adjust them.. or maybe not.  Even so, it's still a fantastic way of teleporting resources across an entire island.

Gathering rates are increased on PTR for the purpose of PTR. I don't care about gathering rates on PTR.

Tax rates set on PTR would indicate that is what the devs plan to have when it goes live. THAT is why I am talking about 50% tax being too high, it is called giving feedback before the mega update drops.

Then give feedback.. what you're actually doing is trolling everyone else who is giving feedback.

50% is ridiculous - its just incentivizing people to run out and claim stuff they are never going to actually use. 10% to 15% max is reasonable and should in theory be tied to providing some service - no idea how that could be programmed but the idea of a tax without some return should be discouraged. 10% max base rate and then if service's are provided it can go up to 15%, something like that would encourage claim owners to be involved and not just be absentee landlords.

Also you could tie the taxation rate to the number of points a settlement costs a company - you can have your 50% tax but then the settlement costs double the points so there is a  consequence to doing that. We all want the world to encourage people to play and do stuff - program it so it does that rather than leave obvious mechanics to abuse.

1 hour ago, Martyn said:

Not at 6x rate..

Yeah because we are all concerned about taxes on the PTR....

We talk about the live version. No 6x there. 

Then don't post in the PTR section of the forum.

You don't even know what the live version will look like yet.

1 hour ago, pfg said:

50% is ridiculous - its just incentivizing people to run out and claim stuff they are never going to actually use. 10% to 15% max is reasonable and should in theory be tied to providing some service - no idea how that could be programmed but the idea of a tax without some return should be discouraged. 10% max base rate and then if service's are provided it can go up to 15%, something like that would encourage claim owners to be involved and not just be absentee landlords.

Also you could tie the taxation rate to the number of points a settlement costs a company - you can have your 50% tax but then the settlement costs double the points so there is a  consequence to doing that. We all want the world to encourage people to play and do stuff - program it so it does that rather than leave obvious mechanics to abuse.

It is largely dependent on how many people are on your island.

If there's only 20-30 people, most of whom are in your company that owns the settlement, then 30% doesn't create any real income for the settlement.  If there were 100 people on your island but only 25 were in the owners settlement, then yeh, they could probably go with 10-20% tax rate.

As it is, with only 2-3 people not in the owner company on the island the Tax rate outside of PTR 6x rates needs to be higher to be worthwhile.  Otherwise you might as well just kill everyone not in the owner company and just stick the taxbank at 1% and let noone else live there.  Which seems to be the default standpoint of most of the islands anyway.  Kill everyone, hey it's pvp. Tax Bank? What's taxes? We kill everyone, Hey it's pvp...

When we have tax rate set at 30% on our pve server, the income from taxes was so minor that it just didn't even factor into island upkeep or anything worthwhile.

Individual members were making a 1000x as much a day as was gathered in taxes per week.  So even if it was put upto 50% probably wouldn't cause much of an itch. You make a cannon.. zero of a cannon appears in the bank. You make 20 cannons.. 10 goto bank.. actually, it seemed kinda broke, because the tax bank only had a few cannons in it..and the island was turning out lots of cannoned ships.. just alot of wood and we had elephants.. wood we had alot of already.  In fact, everything that was in tax bank was what we had alot of already.

So you can block individual items from going into the tax bank.. no need to collect wood.. half of all the gold.. or only foods or whatever specific item you are low on, that goes to tax.. the rest you keep, because lets face it.. noone wants it.  95% of what's taxed might as well just be thrown on the ground and left to rot.

Edited by Martyn