Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

Not much will change.

OK, so we have vulnerability windows, and war tokens.  As I understand it, war tokens will allow a 24 hour window of vulnerability.  If this is truly how it is going to work, nothing really changes.  If I have to sleep, and then go to work, then get some chores done around the house, then eat, and then I have a few hours to play the game...it doesn't matter if I am notified that I can be attacked.  I am not going to be able to log in and defend while I am asleep, or at work.  So these changes don't solve the problem.  Even the 9 hour window doesn't prevent your stuff from being destroyed while you are offline.  Who actually spends 9 hours a day in the game?   They should have just instituted the war declaration, but given the defenders to set a 4 hour window of vulnerability within a 72 hour period, after being notified of the declaration.  This would allow us to set the time to our primetime, when we can actually be on.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

I don't think anything will change either, and based on their track record the new system will just make things worse, like it always does.

With people from all over the world one persons prime time is another's sleep time.  Nobody expects you to play 24/7 that is why it makes sense to try and build your group with people from all time slots.  It is possible you might just have to bring in people you would otherwise not associate with.  Like for instance we were a NA/EU/AU company but we were aligned with all the Chinese companies.  We had no problems supporting them and them us.  Maybe when you setup your company  you align with another group from the opposite time zone?  Either way the problems  you are laying out are solvable.  You just have to network.  

To resume , if I understood it all correctly:

1. island owners (if we ever manage to own and claim one in the first place) set 9 hours in a day when they can be wiped in their own island

2. this can be negated with item.WarToken (costs gold) with which you can be wiped for 24 hours straight, after which it expires

So, if all above is true, you will be able to set that 9 hours yourself, when you are not expecting to be working or parenting or etc etc. 

If you can not be on for 9 hours straight, and expcting attack, well, maybe survival sandbox isn’t something you can afford playing.

But honstly, these 9 hours of vulnerability in a day is more than the zerg needs to wipe small tribe. At least it will give you a fighting chance, so you can say you died defending.

This is why you are going to want to talk to a bigger company and ask to setup on there island. You'll help defend and they will in turn help defend you if you choose to try and play with a small company.  Yeah you are going to pay tribute but that is what occurs when you insist on being small.  Even the big companies get knocked out it happened numerous times during the last testing phase.  Nobody is invulnerable all you can do is try and setup defenses as best as possible to defend ones self.  Always make friends and never hesitate to call for help.  A small company can easily defend itself against a much larger group for hours on end.  At one point in the game we had 4 people take on and defend a base for over 6hrs from a 30+ person group.  Once we were able to get allies rallied they came and wiped the attackers.  This is what makes the  game exciting.  

I'm surprised the pve players haven't asked for a 4 grid area on there map for pvp battles only like an arena.  This it seems is what you want to have.  All the peace of building as large as you want no chance of losing anything and yet still an opportunity to pvp to test your skills.   I'm sure the devs can accommodate this.

4 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

OK, so we have vulnerability windows, and war tokens.  As I understand it, war tokens will allow a 24 hour window of vulnerability.  If this is truly how it is going to work, nothing really changes.  If I have to sleep, and then go to work, then get some chores done around the house, then eat, and then I have a few hours to play the game...it doesn't matter if I am notified that I can be attacked.  I am not going to be able to log in and defend while I am asleep, or at work.  So these changes don't solve the problem.  Even the 9 hour window doesn't prevent your stuff from being destroyed while you are offline.  Who actually spends 9 hours a day in the game?   They should have just instituted the war declaration, but given the defenders to set a 4 hour window of vulnerability within a 72 hour period, after being notified of the declaration.  This would allow us to set the time to our primetime, when we can actually be on.

4h Window ??? so why u play in pvp go play in pve u will be ok

19 hours ago, Blue Fish said:

4h Window ??? so why u play in pvp go play in pve u will be ok

You misunderstand.  People like me, like PvP.  What we don't like is being denied the opportunity to PvP because somebody hit us when we weren't online, meaning we have to PvE for days to get back into a position to PvP...but then somebody hits again, when you weren't on, so it's back to grinding and building.  When people want the ability to PvO severely diminished or eliminated, it's not because they don't want to PvP...it's because they want to PvP.

10 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

You misunderstand.  People like me, like PvP.  What we don't like is being denied the opportunity to PvP because somebody hit us when we weren't online, meaning we have to PvE for days to get back into a position to PvP...but then somebody hits again, when you weren't on, so it's back to grinding and building.  When people want the ability to PvO severely diminished or eliminated, it's not because they don't want to PvP...it's because they want to PvP.

Your defending arguments of 1 solo person and not that of your whole company. If you build all over the place on the island expect to be raided.. might be good for you to get into a larger active company then strolling around solo. Although it would make it pretty much hardcore mode.

On 4/4/2019 at 6:26 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Games like these aren't made for people who work or have lives.. they're for those that don't.  The mass unwashed.. hehe.  And disabled folks like me.  School kids n College grads with time on their hands.  But not for people who have to earn a living.. you're considered casual players.  Noone markets a game for you. Maybe pacman..

War tokens will always work in favour for those using them, they'll never want to use them when it suits the defender, but when the defender is known to mostly be offline.

Edited by Martyn

13 hours ago, Martyn said:

Games like these aren't made for people who work or have lives.. they're for those that don't.  The mass unwashed.. hehe.  And disabled folks like me.  School kids n College grads with time on their hands.  But not for people who have to earn a living.. you're considered casual players.  Noone markets a game for you. Maybe pacman..

War tokens will always work in favour for those using them, they'll never want to use them when it suits the defender, but when the defender is known to mostly be offline.

Which, of this continues, will be why the game will at worst, die, or at best, be a niche game.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Which, of this continues, will be why the game will at worst, die, or at best, be a niche game.

Kinda like most survival games.

1 hour ago, ragnar cook said:

Kinda like most survival games.

Pretty much.  I've seen this happen with a lot of survival games.  I've seen a lot of people get excited about a survival game in the beginning, but I've also seen their excitement and interest level drop pretty quickly.  Like with 7D2D, I saw people play this, and enjoy it for a short while, but then stopped, and as they started dropping, more stopped.  It became like a job.  Especially when playing it PvP.  You can never take a break, and you have to put in as many hours as possible.  And when some people stop playing, you start failing, because one of them was making the food, and one was making the armor, etc...  Now it just gets worse, because you were already stressed a bit at having to produce, but now you have to start putting points into the skills that the other people who left, were doing. 

The point I am getting at here is that the typical mechanics of a survival game end up frustrating most gamers.  It becomes a job instead of fun.  They tend to be grindy, and the RPG aspect means you can't do everything you need to do.  Not only do you need to show up every night, but so do your teammates.  Add to this the way these games tend to set you back to zero, when you are raided and lose.  You typically lose everything, or almost everything. You didn't just lose, you lost big.  Now, you are at an even bigger disadvantage.  It becomes too much for most people.  They realize they aren't having fun anymore.

Edited by Captain Jack Shadow

20 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I don’t know brother it sounds like your definition of pvp is but a subset of pvp. You want equal footing with no lifers and that just isn’t logical in sandbox environments. If you want that type of pvp it’s a match system. Sandbox environments force you to join with a group for coverage or get people in different time zones. If all your players reside in same TZ then you have to go gorilla style which I spoke about in other threads with you. 

On 4/4/2019 at 7:26 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Well you will know war is coming at least 2 days before it comes. I don´t know what you want more. Do some politics, call allies and Settlement settlers if they can help you defending your Settlement during those 24 hours. 

This is 10000% better system from the point of "offline raiding" than it was before. 

If noone from your company can be online during those 24 hours WHILE knowing war is coming I don´t see a reason why you should claim a Settlement. Either go live under someone else or go lawless. 

Edited by Willard

They setup the PTR as PVP only, because maybe due to all the "Only PVPer's play" posts.. yet only 1000 people are playing on it now.

Pity they didn't set it up as a PVE server.. then we might see the true numbers of returnees. The Majority of people seem to be around C7 area, groups of around 30 per zone.

Maybe the NA Pve server will be setup as a pve server or it'll just be another pvp one.. with noone on it.

Edited by Martyn

I have a pretty big question:

Patch notes states that "you cannot attack settlement owner, except during war time". Does this apply to other guilds living in the island? Or just for the owner?

On 4/4/2019 at 7:26 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

You’re solo? Because if so, that’s the biggest issue you’re having 

What he is looking for is the same thing Ark ended up doing from what I hear, basically he is looking for offline protection, that has been beat to death, pvp’ers don’t want to actually pvp, they want to raid bases that aren’t being defended, that is so easy to see with this game.  

I don’t pvp and I really don’t have the right to say anything about it but I can understand the frustration of someone who works and has a life vs someone who doesn’t.  

The simple solution to this is to create factions, when you create you character in the beginning you choose a faction to play on. Those factions each have their own territories divided up equally in the game and your Freeport ( home base of your faction is completely safe )  any settlement outside of your home base but still within your territory can be raided and the object would be to see who’s territory can win the most of the opposing factions territory.   If you get pushed all the way back to your home base then you’ll have to fight your way out again.

This system is the same system other games have went to in order to justify pvp fairly with so many different players playing at different times. You’ll still be able to have your companies and work together but at the same time your part of a whole faction that will be playing and you can choose to join in their battles or do your own thing.  This doesn’t completely stop offline raiding but it’s about as fair of a system that I know of.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Daemon Cross said:

What he is looking for is the same thing Ark ended up doing from what I hear, basically he is looking for offline protection, that has been beat to death, pvp’ers don’t want to actually pvp, they want to raid bases that aren’t being defended, that is so easy to see with this game.  

I don’t pvp and I really don’t have the right to say anything about it but I can understand the frustration of someone who works and has a life vs someone who doesn’t.  

The simple solution to this is to create factions, when you create you character in the beginning you choose a faction to play on. Those factions each have their own territories divided up equally in the game and your Freeport ( home base of your faction is completely safe )  any settlement outside of your home base but still within your territory can be raided and the object would be to see who’s territory can win the most of the opposing factions territory.   If you get pushed all the way back to your home base then you’ll have to fight your way out again.

This system is the same system other games have went to in order to justify pvp fairly with so many different players playing at different times. You’ll still be able to have your companies and work together but at the same time your part of a whole faction that will be playing and you can choose to join in their battles or do your own thing.  This doesn’t completely stop offline raiding but it’s about as fair of a system that I know of.

Yeah, the whole offline raiding was proof they don’t want to pvp actually 

Yeah you’d think if pvp was what they really wanted and came upon a base that no one was around then they would move on until they found players to battle against.   People who look for those that are offline just because that makes it a easy win isn’t looking for a pvp game, they are looking for a pve game.

I personally don’t want anything to do with it, I don’t mind watching battles between companies out on the open water  but I don’t want no part of it, if they had it setup to where you could flag for pvp or flag for pve then I may be alright playing in that type of server but not full time pvp.

I think it was Never Winter Nights that had it setup so you could flag for pvp or pve. I didn’t mind that to much. 

In ESO trying to get achievements done in Cyrodil sucked ass if you were solo or spec’d for PvE but I was able to get it done.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Yeah you’d think if pvp was what they really wanted and came upon a base that no one was around then they would move on until they found players to battle against.   People who look for those that are offline just because that makes it a easy win isn’t looking for a pvp game, they are looking for a pve game.

I personally don’t want anything to do with it, I don’t mind watching battles between companies out on the open water  but I don’t want no part of it, if they had it setup to where you could flag for pvp or flag for pve then I may be alright playing in that type of server but not full time pvp.

I think it was Never Winter Nights that had it setup so you could flag for pvp or pve. I didn’t mind that to much. 

In ESO trying to get achievements done in Cyrodil sucked ass if you were solo or spec’d for PvE but I was able to get it done.

Very true. Wow actually had pvpve servers where you could flag on and off pvp. 

• Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 4:44 AM, Wichtelman said:

btw is it intentional that structures on lawless have no decay dmg as they said?

I hope.