Sign in to follow this  
Philosoraptor

Lost Interest?

As time has passed...I find that I might have lost interest in this game. I spent over 500 hours in Atlas, and was totally hooked. Then came the announcement of the wipe and the Anarchy update, which killed all of my motivation (and seemingly everyone's) to continue playing until AFTER the wipe. I feel that the developers here have caused a mass exodus from the game, and many of my friends are doubtful whether they will even come back now.

Was the anarchy update worth it? If the 1.5 update was going to be delayed for so long, why announce that everything would be wiped so far in advance? I feel as if this may have been the kiss of death for this game. I hope I'm wrong.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Can not kill what is not live. Almost two years of early access to go before we have to worry about numbers. 

I have about 400 hrs since launch and I keep finding new and creative things to do. Most of it lately has been building a 300+ animal safari park with tames that have been abandoned (thank you everyone). I look forward to the new Atlas but I will definitely spend less time playing because right now I have to rush around to collect boatloads of animals before they are gone. I don’t know what the record is for free range tames but the lag I’m creating in L9 pve is pretty awesome. Navigating the tames to feed them is like flying through an asteroid field. Never tell me the odds!

i’m sorry, I sound insane. lol

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

As time has passed...I find that I might have lost interest in this game. I spent over 500 hours in Atlas, and was totally hooked. Then came the announcement of the wipe and the Anarchy update, which killed all of my motivation (and seemingly everyone's) to continue playing until AFTER the wipe. I feel that the developers here have caused a mass exodus from the game, and many of my friends are doubtful whether they will even come back now.

Was the anarchy update worth it? If the 1.5 update was going to be delayed for so long, why announce that everything would be wiped so far in advance? I feel as if this may have been the kiss of death for this game. I hope I'm wrong.

Console players have to wait probably another year to get wiped.

3 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

Yes a few i talked to have lost interest. They stayed because others stayed to play. Now the majority i talk to just went to play something else with a Meh i am not sure ill go back to that game, its too arkish..

I get it, if people want to play ARK they will go play ark but this is a different game make it so.

I have 800 hrs invested myself and would love to see Atlas be come more a pirate game then an ARK tame game.

Yeah, I've lost interest and started playing other games.  The longer they delay the less I care about returning and restarting the grind from scratch.  I just don't have much faith in Grapeshot's management.    I feel they've wasted our time.

6 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

You are not. The company I assembled of allainces I had started to dissipate and playing other games. I am not sure either if I will like the new atlas with no lawless nor if I will have the crew I planned.

4 hours ago, boomervoncannon said:

No. He’s trying to say he got his hand cut off.

https://images.app.goo.gl/6xVjWtZicPenJ6BeA

But.. it wasn't his hand they cut off..

It was what he put in it.

Now that's out of the way..

I left Atlas before the wipe was announced, mainly because I was being exploited by people I could do nothing about, I didn't see the point in even continuing.  I think the biggest kicker from the wipe saga wasn't so much the announcement of the wipe itself, but the audacity of Grapeshot to turn a pve server into a pvp one.. until the end for the wipe.  That's what drove everyone else away, people would have continued to play pve I think, if it was pve.  Instead they just made all the exploiting and exploiters acceptable.  It's almost as if they were saying sorry to the pvpers who were playing on the pve servers using exploits and cheats to pvp.  There are a few choice words I'd like to use here, but swearing never gets me very far in a conversation.

Edited by Martyn

The main problem is that other survival games have the same problems!: Classic_biggrin:😬😭

P.S. Basis - greedy players.

Edited by Konvar

Im still interested to be honest. I've tried to find other games but none of them seems to be funny for me. Tried ARK again but after 1800 hours there is nothing to surprise me and there is nothing to achieve. Tried Path of Exile, wanted to try WoW again, For Honor, Fortnite, none of those hooked me enough. Now im chilling with Hearthstone and waiting for PTR.

I've played 600hrs in the game and still enjoy it, I liked building my base up, getting tames and going for resources etc. With the wipe coming I have no doubts people who left before will come back to give it another try, not everyone but quite alot of them as land is now available without flags.

If you get an island with nice people and you help each other out that goes a very long way in keeping it more fun, I enjoy that part of the game helping others out. Time will tell what the new system will be like but it could all change again down the line. I really don't get the bad reviews the game has, not as bad as people make out but that is their opinion, they're entitled to it but I think it's a great game with great potential, whether they turn it around in the long term, time will tell on that also.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DannyUK said:

I've played 600hrs in the game and still enjoy it, I liked building my base up, getting tames and going for resources etc. With the wipe coming I have no doubts people who left before will come back to give it another try, not everyone but quite alot of them as land is now available without flags.

If you get an island with nice people and you help each other out that goes a very long way in keeping it more fun, I enjoy that part of the game helping others out. Time will tell what the new system will be like but it could all change again down the line. I really don't get the bad reviews the game has, not as bad as people make out but that is their opinion, they're entitled to it but I think it's a great game with great potential, whether they turn it around in the long term, time will tell on that also.

Problem with reviews of EA games is those reviews don´t reflect current state of the game. It´s a bit misleading. 

• Like 1

Your not alone, the mismanagement has me wondering if they are screwing up on purpose so they can point to the lack of players and say "we tried, sorry".  Saw a lot of the same things happening in their "Survival of the Fittest", drastic changes, drastic drop in players because of illegal teaming, then no more game.

27 minutes ago, Willard said:

Problem with reviews of EA games is those reviews don´t reflect current state of the game. It´s a bit misleading. 

Yes very true, think they took the brunt of it on the first week with problem with the servers as well. I enjoy it though, it can only get better in my eyes.

I am keen to spill some more blood. That is always good fun. I'm looking forward to the mass raids and large PVP battles on the Empires servers.

15 hours ago, Philosoraptor said:

The problem was that the game was already bleeding out. Watching the Stream Charts, you could watch Peak Players steadily dropping week over week. If you go look at https://steamcharts.com/app/834910#3m it is hard to even note when the wipe was announced. It is a pretty smooth downward trend line. The actual period it happened in had roughly a 1K week over week user drop before hand and then a sudden 2K week over week user drop and then continued to decline as normal.

Is it really a kiss of death if the patient was already terminal? Perhaps activity would have stabilized some. Perhaps they did announce the wipe too early. But emergency surgery was very much needed to save the patient. They did not believe the changes desired would take quite this long to prepare, so there was little they could have done better at the time. Hindsight and all that. Our group is also wondering how many of our comrades will return post-wipe. There was a lot of excitement and affirmations right after the announcement, but it has grown quiet with how long the wait has been.

• Thanks 1

Yeh, I think if they'd made a test server before adding sotd and actually tested them there before adding them to the live ea, so they wouldn't sink almost every ship on the map, incl those at anchor, bases near shores etc.   If they'd reacted faster to exploits, esp the weigh and hammer exploits and if they hadn't turned pve into pvp on wipe announcement, this sort of issue, people might have stayed.  But after spending the first few days from release, fighting insane lag in freeports, for hours on end, to finally get out and settle, to then be exploited for 2-3 weeks, to then have ai ships wipe me out, then getting exploited some more for several more weeks, I eventually got the real message grapeshot was selling.. give me your money, then piss off. So I did.  Then they decided to wipe because of the very reasons I left.. so now maybe I'll come back.  We'll see how it goes then..

Lost interest here.  Too slow to have even basic problems fixed, stupid delayed wipe and what looks like equally bad new systems incoming soon.

I had fun for a few months. My interest is now in another game. Might be back some day, probably not soon though.

same here was totally hooked but this wipe totally killed the motivation...i just hope it will come back after the wipe.

EA or not i hope the devs know that they should not do this again no matter how many will tell how little this matters during EA...just looking at the numbers right now shows that like nearly everyone loses interest with wipes so there is really no arguing about that. having more wipes after this will just mean no ppl again...i really hope they have the confidence in their relaunch and will state a no more wipe philosophy with it or this will be a ghost town. i mean they are trying to handle and hype this like a released game so the EA excuse might work once, surely not twice...hope they at least understand this as it would be sad to have this game ruined by even more bad decisions - i so much enjoyed it as it was already 😞

7 minutes ago, Xenom said:

same here was totally hooked but this wipe totally killed the motivation...i just hope it will come back after the wipe.

EA or not i hope the devs know that they should not do this again no matter how many will tell how little this matters during EA...just looking at the numbers right now shows that like nearly everyone loses interest with wipes so there is really no arguing about that. having more wipes after this will just mean no ppl again...i really hope they have the confidence in their relaunch and will state a no more wipe philosophy with it or this will be a ghost town. i mean they are trying to handle and hype this like a released game so the EA excuse might work once, surely not twice...hope they at least understand this as it would be sad to have this game ruined by even more bad decisions - i so much enjoyed it as it was already 😞

There are many many fair criticisms of this development team. Given that the game was literally not announced at all until 6 weeks before EA launch in an industry where months and months of pre release hype and advertising is the norm, whereas in contrast Grapecard did one EA trailer and let streamers do one preview weekend; and further given that they specified very clearly that the game would be in EA for 2 years, I do not think saying they are trying to handle and hype it like a released game is one of them.

Just my two doubloons.

Edited by boomervoncannon

I think declaring this game dead is about as premature as jat saying the wipe was gonna be in 2 weeks 🤣

at least wait until 1.5 and judge then.  i understand why people are holding off till after wipe, as im one of them, but those who don't come back didn't like the game and concept to begin with.