Sign in to follow this  
Salty Jack

Better build you base fast on the PVE server....

That’s the way I understand it also WINTER THORNE..... 

my only concern is what happens to the established structures when the island ownership changes hands after the structure has been there for weeks/months....

15 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

That’s the way I understand it also WINTER THORNE..... 

my only concern is what happens to the established structures when the island ownership changes hands after the structure has been there for weeks/months....

Well, there's no telling what's actually coded for it..unexpected consequences and all that...but going strictly according to what they said..there's nothing a new landlord can do to it after the timer's up.

I have no desire to own an island, I'm just there to build. I will be putting pillars down to map out a small area for myself but I feel the longer you keep these pillars down then it won't work out well. You can build structures and 12hrs passes they can stay but if someone takes over the island on the next day and you decide to remove pillars to place structures that is going to reset and will be 12hrs from new structure going down.

I fully expect bumps in the road, I can see it coming. I'll help out people on my island as much as I can, I will not watch them bully people off and I'm sure other people will rise up against it if the landlord is aggressive like that in trying to remove everything for no reason.

I'm also expecting the Chinese groups who first joined the game to come and take over islands like they were exploiting SOTD by dragging them into land. They will want to have their fun by trolling and ruining other peoples experience of the game no doubts about it. That's why I always try to warn other on my island if I see something suspicious and try to prevent it if possible but if people are so determined to cause havoc there is just no stopping them unfortunately. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't play Official PvE if you paid me.  Bunch of toxic idiots who don't like neighbors, so they spam pillars everywhere, to prevent other people building.  The best thing they could do for PvE is allow you one Sea Claim, and one Base claim, with that claim being a little bigger than it is now.  Just big enough to put a base inside of it.  And limit the number a company can have.  If they don't do that, Atlas will be just like ARK PvE ended up.  One person, or tribe, taking up way more land than they needed, with pillars.  One way or another, Grapeshot is going to have to deal with this...likely with some sort of limiting mechanic.  I don't see the upkeep being what does that job.

• Like 1

I think that is what a lot of us wanted all along CAPTAIN JACK.....  except perhaps 3 of each  to encourage us to get on our ships and sail....

• Like 2

I’m not saying my OP holds any merit, all I was saying is that is a possibility of what could take place. 

This is the prime example of why I believe it would be nice to have had some details already made known to the pve community so we could plan ahead and look for possible exploits that the developers may have overlooked.

If a landowner has no rights to a structure that was previously built does that mean if  a island was pillar spammed and the current owner has quit the game does that in return mean that once his timer expires and the new owner takes over there is nothing he can do about it ?

I’m not sure but they said the tax bank would cover the claim flag and anyone who gatherers materials from the island will be taxed, ok so we also have a upkeep cost for our own structures as well right ?

Would it be hard to upkeep pillars vs the upkeep on the claim flag, how hard will it be to force a new landlord off the island, if all you do is spam pillars each time you log in and that landowner has to spend his time running around looking for each pillar you’ve placed ?

You mentioned the blocking in of ships, what is going to stop that regardless, if the window is any amount of time at all that means there is a chance that the landowner can’t demolish the pillars if he takes a day off right ? So your ship is stuck , are one of you going to be the landowner and spend all your time policing your island ?  I’m not sure but it may be fun being the bad guy for a change and just annoying landowners for no other reason then because the game allows it.

• Like 4

I’m already the bad guy.... At home I have a bunch of tables and chairs spammed around my computer desk to keep all those greedy griefing @$&/;)&! family members away from my area.... 😉

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

I’m already the bad guy.... At home I have a bunch of tables and chairs spammed around my computer desk to keep all those greedy griefing @$&/;)&! family members away from my area.... 😉

What, no cats?

5 hours ago, Salty Jack said:

No Martyn.... I am a builder.... I like to build nice bases.... its not that I "cant" play on pvp servers.... its that I wont play on pvp servers.... I am not going to lie and say I would kick all your asses if I DID play on pvp…. I would not.... I would get killed over and over as well as off-lined.... I have NO desire to play that game.... I will get my pvp when Camalot Unchained comes out (where I can be a builder as well as pvp)…. And to you "don't test how the game is REALLY gonna be played" Willard, I have a place in mind for where I want to build my big beautiful base.  If someone beats me too it, my bad, I will move on to plan B, plan C, ect…   But if I DO get my spot and someone claims the island later and tells me I gotta leave, that I can no longer build there, I WILL outlast them.

I do not want to spend my time in a pillar spam war no.... I want to build.... but I will NOT be pushed of the land I built on first.... and neither will most others who play this new system of PVP....

Im just telling how I think its gonna go down.... It will play more like Lawless or Ark as SNEAKYDUDE mentioned.... tell me Im wrong....

No that's an excellent attitude imo.

I'm kinda the same way.  If you go NA or Eu pve, maybe you can offer to build on other peoples' islands for them.  For a fee..

53 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

I’m not saying my OP holds any merit, all I was saying is that is a possibility of what could take place. 

This is the prime example of why I believe it would be nice to have had some details already made known to the pve community so we could plan ahead and look for possible exploits that the developers may have overlooked.

If a landowner has no rights to a structure that was previously built does that mean if  a island was pillar spammed and the current owner has quit the game does that in return mean that once his timer expires and the new owner takes over there is nothing he can do about it ?

I’m not sure but they said the tax bank would cover the claim flag and anyone who gatherers materials from the island will be taxed, ok so we also have a upkeep cost for our own structures as well right ?

Would it be hard to upkeep pillars vs the upkeep on the claim flag, how hard will it be to force a new landlord off the island, if all you do is spam pillars each time you log in and that landowner has to spend his time running around looking for each pillar you’ve placed ?

You mentioned the blocking in of ships, what is going to stop that regardless, if the window is any amount of time at all that means there is a chance that the landowner can’t demolish the pillars if he takes a day off right ? So your ship is stuck , are one of you going to be the landowner and spend all your time policing your island ?  I’m not sure but it may be fun being the bad guy for a change and just annoying landowners for no other reason then because the game allows it.

I'm sure in one of the logs they mentioned that free pillers etc will have a low durability, so will probably demo themselves maybe after a few hours to a couple of days, so one would need to patrol piller spams daily or lose them.  Hopefully.  Otherwise maybe we can get them to set this up as pre built piller and foundation spam will be a real issue initially and later on when bored owners do leave.

5 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

Are you guys hoping to own land or just build on land?

I'll be looking to do both probably.  If I own land, it'll be with the company, tax will probably be around 20-30% to help pay upkeep, but we are a grindy company so upkeep won't be an issue, unless it requires unique resources.

I like building high structures, currently atlas seems to support up to a max ceiling of 100 units or so.  Although we got past that using platforms.

PTR screenshot after one day

953288086_Halfsize20190305171814_1.jpg.767844e340fbbf338bcfb3e80e9704d1.jpg

I don't mind doing it to protect your immediate base but this is what happens.

• Like 1

That's ridiculous, and where there needs to be limiters in place.  Like it or not, gamers do not think about the long term health of a game.  It's an amazingly short sighted, and selfish attitude, but it is what it is, and so it is up to the Devs to do something about it.

Actually Captain Jack, I was in it for the long my haul, I hadn’t even done one power stone or the Kraken at the time of the wipe. I was building up tames and materials for trade routes, working on a base that was setup with enough supplies to rebuild a ship quickly if I needed to and such things as that. I didn’t really start exploring much until the wipe was announced. I did do the FOY twice but the 2nd time was to help a friend who hadn’t done it yet. Otherwise I would have just waited for the wipe.

I know some people had done all there was to do in the game and became bored with the game. I was no where near that point and I’m sure a few others were the same way.

I dont think anyone actually wanted the upcoming PvE changes anyway. Its not even going to be tested, its completely overshadowed by the 2 PvP Type Servers. By the time they figure that out the last PvE Players will have moved on. And as long as the PvP Servers are a console command/cheat/hack fest im not interested in those either.

20 hours ago, gumbyc said:

If this is your Settlement, it´c completely fine. If this was done by some griefer, either destroy it or let it fast decay. Btw I guess this is an illustrative picture right? Cuz u know, PTR isn´t up yet. 

If this turns into a foundation spam pillar fest I will go to a private server (7oxic Gaming). 
I dont play to have to fight off grievers and trolls, I play to do treasure maps, fight aotd  ships and slaughter whales by the scores.

My company only requires a bout 4-5 flags worth of space for our docks houses and mega-barn (we have tamers) . anything else as long as it doesn't block resources is cool around us. Dont be an asshat and just play the game.

On 4/2/2019 at 6:46 PM, gumbyc said:

To be honest, this is my expectation.  And having say 4-5 hours left of the 12 hour demo rule, will mean you'll spend the next 4-5 hours of your casual gaming time demo'ing unwanted foundations, which someone could just run around behind you replacing.  Eventually you'd need to log out to sleep to goto work the next day and your island would be like this until the griefer left or you did.

I had hoped, that the devs would add a command from the pinwheel allowing you to demo all foundations etc in your settlement not placed by you within the last 12 hours, this would remove every single one in the same moment.  But alas I suspect the devs don't have the guts to add such a useful command.  They could also add a flag to the command to idemnify individuals to be immune from such mass demo'ing of foundations or a flag to allow you to just demo everything from a given player by name or company, as part of the anti griefing measures.

They could add via pinwheel the ability to just remove all buildings by "this" player.  So with a single click you could demo everything placed by a specific player within your settlement.  This would make life much easier for everyone.

Edited by Martyn

If this happens, just ignore the pillar/platform spam for the short term, and keep demoing their repair structure, if they build one.

Only Rainman will be able to keep up with you.

• Haha 1

I am a casual gamer but I play each day after work and for long periods of time on the weekends, if I really wanted to be a asshat in the game with the new system it would be really easy, the above photo is of a small area that you may clean up  in just a little  while, just think if someone took off and every 20 or so spaces dropping a foundation or pillar all over the island.  I know you've already stated that you'd just wait for the decay timer to kick in  instead of wasting you time going around to clean the island up, at the same time a person could be waiting for the same decay timer to start the process over again.  Before long all your doing is gathering mats to upkeep your claim flag because no one else can build on your island.  I know there is going to be a structure radius to keep someone from building on top of you and once that radius is learned then the griefer will know how far they can space out their pillars or foundations to keep someone from building. The PTR is going to work in ways we wont want, not only is it going to show us what the new rules and such are, it's going to give griefers a chance to experiment with the same mechanics so when it goes live they will already know what to do.

We all know it's going to happen,  we've already talked about it and what will we do when it does, how will we counter it, we've asked questions as to how will we keep someone from blocking our ships in,  or placing gates around our base, we've all said that it will be the landlords job to fix issues like that and that all sounds great and all in theory but how many of you all are really willing to give up your play time to  police an entire island ?   I've done some time trials running around on a tame with the current large and small islands in the game and  figuring how long it will take to demolish pillar spam and foundations, unblock ships and remove gates... Well i'll either be running around with no sleep or quitting my job..  

I only hope that this PTR opens up the developers eyes a little more for PVE and they consider and alternative plan, this is really going to make pve  a aggravation if you have to deal with griefers.  I know some people will be lucky enough to never be bothered but others will not be so lucky.

Have any of you rolled the dice lately to see how the RNG Gods favor you ???

Edited by Daemon Cross
  • Like 1

You guys are really doomsaying unreasonably here.

If people pillar spam hugely, you can build all you want in lawless where pillar spam is no longer realistically possible

If you want to own land, it's pretty much impossible to stop you since there won't be enough people to claim all the islands and it won't actually be possible for the entire world to be claimed, with the new caps

The end

NOT the end.... you think you gonna live on lawless long term ?...

repair structure not gonna work on lawless......

good luck repairing every foundation and wall by hand every 4 days....

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Salty Jack said:

NOT the end.... you think you gonna live on lawless long term ?...

repair structure not gonna work on lawless......

good luck repairing every foundation and wall by hand every 4 days....

I don't believe it will work like that. I believe it will be similar to how it is now on lawless. How do the devs expect people to get to each structure high up in the middle of walls? So no, I don't believe you will have to repair every structure piece by hand.