Sign in to follow this  
Billy Bones

Change Empires to Factions Server

Would this work for more people ?  Change the empire Server to Factions  server...   Maybe 3 factions,    Slavers, Pirates, Military .  Each could get a perk for something ex: Slavers  get bonus to taming, Pirates bonus to gold, Military bonus to loading weapons .. etc   just some little perk.

Each Faction would than become an Alliance where  only Different factions can attack each other  within your own faction you are auto Allied... No Leaving your faction you must reroll.

Company size wouldn't matter so much than within each Faction... be big or small it as you have a Faction that's auto friendly. 

• Like 1

Well season 1 pretty much ended as factions.. there was the Dynasty alliance and the Tpg/fed/Owo.. and 90% of the alliance tabs were full for each.. there may have been other alliances but those were the main 2 and within those alliances it was pretty much played as factions.. 

Your totally right man. But at the very least they were player created. Id never want to be unable to attack anyone I see, to me that is what makes it PvP. WoW rules dont count as real PvP.

4 hours ago, Billy Bones said:

Would this work for more people ?  Change the empire Server to Factions  server...   Maybe 3 factions,    Slavers, Pirates, Military .  Each could get a perk for something ex: Slavers  get bonus to taming, Pirates bonus to gold, Military bonus to loading weapons .. etc   just some little perk.

Each Faction would than become an Alliance where  only Different factions can attack each other  within your own faction you are auto Allied... No Leaving your faction you must reroll.

Company size wouldn't matter so much than within each Faction... be big or small it as you have a Faction that's auto friendly. 

Factions would be awesome 

If they had maybe 5-6 factions it could work, maybe more, maybe say 10 factions.. British, French, Germans, Dutch, Spanish, Chinese, Russians, Japanese, Africans & Indians (those being asian Indians, not american ones.  Or 11 and add Pirates..

Edited by Martyn

Hahaha, I vote on this 100% for the lulz. Inb4 this turns racist 😂 . Also fucking +1 to slavers bonus to taming, as I hear they were very persuasive lol. 

I love this gaming community.

5 hours ago, Chucksteak said:

Your totally right man. But at the very least they were player created. Id never want to be unable to attack anyone I see, to me that is what makes it PvP. WoW rules dont count as real PvP.

You want to attack anyone you see? I'm confused you are playing on a PVP server you know that right.

4 hours ago, Martyn said:

If they had maybe 5-6 factions it could work, maybe more, maybe say 10 factions.. British, French, Germans, Dutch, Spanish, Chinese, Russians, Japanese, Africans & Indians (those being asian Indians, not american ones.  Or 11 and add Pirates..

It is a good idea, Different era of factions fighting for land etc.. However this game is just an extension of ARK and until we get someone else taking on this project, with the atlas ideas it wont happen. However doing it on a un official server is amazing idea. I just see a reboot of ark 2.0 here with subs now FFS what next machineguns and tanks? Thank gawd for un official guys.. lets mod a real pirate game.

Works not for me, i want the Empire server 😉😊

But for the moment any new server would be ok... or any information if Grapeshot Studios is still existent.

56 minutes ago, Talono said:

Works not for me, i want the Empire server 😉😊

But for the moment any new server would be ok... or any information if Grapeshot Studios is still existent.

1 day ago they announced shutting down pve so they can prepare it for ptr. There are news on discord, twitter, there are faqs, there are weekly captain's logs. Can you tell me what more do u expect to receive? 

Doesn’t ESO have a system like you just described ? Which they have multiple pvp servers to choose from but isn’t it faction based ?

4 hours ago, Sneakydude said:

It is a good idea, Different era of factions fighting for land etc.. However this game is just an extension of ARK and until we get someone else taking on this project, with the atlas ideas it wont happen. However doing it on a un official server is amazing idea. I just see a reboot of ark 2.0 here with subs now FFS what next machineguns and tanks? Thank gawd for un official guys.. lets mod a real pirate game.

Well they've already shown that you can have tanks and airships, aircraft etc.

So you could have several era based Atlas games available as both official and unofficial.

We could have Pirate Atlas, Explorer Civ Atlas, WW1 Atlas, WW2 Atlas, WW3 Atlas.. with nukes.. The only difference is content, content & more content.

But before any of that can be done, we need a combat system that works, economy that works, base design that works, offline protection if wanted; that works.  Without the basic systems in place, there is no real argument as to what the game should look like cosmetically.  Unless you just want a pure ark 2.0 with no offline protection at all.  And it seems clear that many people do not want a non offline protection game.

There's 3 main arguments here:

People want land to build on, that theirs for at least long enough to build a few ships to explore or fight each other with.

People want a non pvp environment to Quest and Explore in.

People want to fight each other (this is split between offline protection and none)

And generically, people also want the Ark type Taming of animals, dinos, special creatures as well as the ability to fight world bosses etc.  It's really a huge pool of desires.. but noone will explain how they want specifics to actually work, that goes for both the Devs and the players arguing.

To me, there's 2 main traits of thought here, Factions = People join a side, fight anyone not on their side.  Can be pvp or pve based.  One just has player damage disabled.  The cons of factions is you tend to get alot of solo players doing their own thing, nothing ever gets done on a global base, people then form their own alliances with each other and you actually end up with an empire based system with people doing what they would have done if it was only an empire type game. ie you join solo, you team up, your team gets bigger and bigger until you control everything.  Then it becomes top heavy, too many chiefs, splits falls apart and that gives you more people to fight with, win win for pvp.

So ideally, it seems empires based is the most obvious way to go.

You also have a small empire base, where the max size a team can be is preset.  With hardware limits on numbers of players within a set area, in a vain attempt to limit zerging.  But unless those teams are directly managed.. zerging will happen anyway.. so small empires seems totally pointless, as it just cannot work.

You could go purely solo.. but the skill trees and design of ships makes solo work very harsh. 

The other aspect of solo is the idea is to have a multiplayer game, where people team up, get social, talk to each other, learn about each other. It's all part n parcel of mmo/mp gaming to make new friends.  The competitive side of it doesn't need to degenerate into us v them or narrowminded xenophobia, about people who you don't know, who might think bad things about you because that's what your inexperienced mind is telling you in your own delusions of paranoia.  The world doesn't hate you.. If anything, it just doesn't care if you exist or not, until you introduce yourself to it and for that you need to talk to people.  You need that worldly experience.

Wether we go pure pvp or pve doesn't really matter, both can be setup for. It also doesn't matter if some people want pure pvp and no pve, as those are minor opinions.  We are split between pvp offline pro, pvp no offline pro, pve.  Fact of life and gaming.  Have any other opinion and it just doesn't matter.

So now we need to get the basic systems to work, if you introduce ideas and systems people will not use.. then you're wasting your time adding them.  People will go elsewhere.  And unless people are prepared to make concessions to what they come across in a game or environment, the chances are they'll spend their entire lives leaving and running away, because they just don't understand how the world works.

TL:DR - I have no idea what I just wrote.. It came from somewhere deep inside my brain.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daemon Cross said:

Doesn’t ESO have a system like you just described ? Which they have multiple pvp servers to choose from but isn’t it faction based ?

yeah but eso has fighting arena's, a faction pvp area and the ability to duel anyone on request. its a completely different game.

6 hours ago, Bullet Force said:

You want to attack anyone you see? I'm confused you are playing on a PVP server you know that right.

Im confused about what your confused about. Also i said I wanted the ability to do so, not that I had the desire to do so.

• Like 1

Best thing is to close the thought of a new server at all, thjis game dont have the people for it, just have 2 pvp and 2 pve servers, no more.

They may not have the people at the moment but they are anticipating 40,000 players at some point and then if you take adding in a monthly competition for players on the empire server you’ll probably see more of a need for it.  I would imagine once the system has been out for a little while you’ll see more players on the empire server than the colonies server.

The one thing about ESO I enjoyed was you could go from pve to pvp and not have to roll another character, just change your skill points around. Which we also had mods in the game that made a lot of things simpler for some of us.

13 hours ago, Martyn said:

ya even 5-6 Factions might play  out better I agree .

PVE aside the biggest split in the community I see is those that want  Megas and those that prefer the smaller company choice .  Theres no fair way to work  this out in a player decided system because in the end like last season Megas just keep engulfing the smaller companies as they loose there player base.. Last going off most  Megas were the combination of a bunch of smaller groups  combines  mostly because they had little choice.. it was a go big or get ran over server.

Factions could work  for everyone..   Megas could exist  as well as small companies.  and if the faction its self fails players will have to figure out how to make it work..it would take months for the map to work its self out and watching how it would evolve into separate areas would be kinda fun.

As for a Perfect Atlas Game I don't think it will ever exist .  There are those people that dream of a game where trade  / communication 1st before battle is always the better option and those that just wanna destroy and kill whatever they can as fast as they can..  and all the people in between..  aint nobody gonna perfect a game like that. 

If the consensus is no one is playing Empire server than maybe they need to design it different   Factions is a suggestion that may work

Edited by Billy Bones

The thing is, you can actually go big and go small at the same time, there's no reason for a mega comprised of many smaller groups to play purely as a horde running around stamping everyone out.  They could engage as small groups.. just running under the same flag. This way they could control a much bigger area.  But, smaller groups would also engage them, so long as the "mega" didn't all turn up later and flatten them out of spite.

Edited by Martyn

5 hours ago, Knivet said:

Best thing is to close the thought of a new server at all, thjis game dont have the people for it, just have 2 pvp and 2 pve servers, no more.

If this was battlefield or cod for example, even ark, the above might make sense.. but give the "servers" can hold potentially 20-40,000 players on one.. it isn't just 2 pvp and 2 pve servers, it's actually something like clusters/clouds of 225 servers x4 = 900 servers.. so no not 4 servers at all.  And adding another network for small or large empires or pve would likely entail another 225 cluster of servers.  And that's alot of servers.  And just a 15x15 grid. They could and probably should add 3-4 network clusters/clouds just for East Asia to play on, plus one more for SE Asia and Australian players.

Edited by Martyn

I think everyone should move away from this speculating that the cost of another server(s) is an actual concern at all. To you, as an individual who has time to game (unproductive time) a server cost is a concern. To a game development company, the cost of another cluster is not even something that would be brought up in a meeting. Its possible thier workstations cost more than another server. 

Or put another way, if another server cost too much, GS wouldn't be around to launch the game in 2 years anyways.

Just sayin.

-CS

6 hours ago, Martyn said:

If this was battlefield or cod for example, even ark, the above might make sense.. but give the "servers" can hold potentially 20-40,000 players on one.. it isn't just 2 pvp and 2 pve servers, it's actually something like clusters/clouds of 225 servers x4 = 900 servers.. so no not 4 servers at all.  And adding another network for small or large empires or pve would likely entail another 225 cluster of servers.  And that's alot of servers.  And just a 15x15 grid. They could and probably should add 3-4 network clusters/clouds just for East Asia to play on, plus one more for SE Asia and Australian players.

ofc, then you can just play on NA PVP right now, and feel the amount of people you will see online at a time, you MIGHT run into a guy or two in about a week.

And yeah, sorry that i didnt add clusters, i know each grid have their "own" server in theoretical, but performance wice, it looks like 3x3 grids for each servers.

And they cant even get a own cluster for a PTR, and you think they would add 3-4 more clusters with the same size for a quarter of the playerbase? Sure.. 🙂

At the moment sure.  But until the wipe goes through noone knows how many will actually return.  So it's a moot point trying to suggest there's noone playing at the moment, as that's pretty obvious, noone will until it get's sorted out.

No, we need neither a faction server nor battle royal or other kiddie nonsense.

Leave Empire server as persistant world with total freedom.

Anybody can attack anybody whenever he wants. No stupid rules or regulations please !

Pirates dont want rules. You want to go to the Colonies server with rules,

This clearly proofs that you are not pirates but carebears.