Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Population after wipe?

Population after wipe?  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Population after wipe?

I think a good few will come back to see the developments. at least the same amount of people we saw online regularly before the wipe announcement.

I could compare what's happening to the game and population in atlas after the constant postponements to.... going to war and you're ambushed by the enemy... your men are dying all around you so you call the generals on the radio asking for air support and reinforcements... general tells you they're in bound and will be there in 15 min... instead, the general sends air support to go bomb a village of civilians then tries to contact you on the radio a week later to tell you they'll help you out next time... you and all your men are already dead but the generals do this over and over throughout the war... 

the devs are the generals... and theyre gonna lose the war if they keep that up. They're running out of soldiers and giving little reason for new ones to enlist. Most have moved on to other wars already.

Edited by Enki Anunnaki
  • Like 1

I would have split option 1 up. I'd assume the population will be between 5-10k.  If the chances and patch are well received that could create a chain effect that increased the player base in the following weeks. 

• Like 3

20ish k is what my gut tells me (basically subconscious generated experience from decades of gaming in similar situations).

Whether the majority of them stay or go is up to devs.

One of the big concern - not the only one, but one of the major ones for sure - there is that zerg tribes - 50 or more active members - will circumvent the alliance and tribe member caps on Colony server cluster designed primarily for small tribes, and conquer most of the nice places to live.

The majority of Atlas gamers, I believe, is solos to small groups. Whoever of that group stayed after the initial desertion wave, is a tough SoB and managed to ally with main competitors or got forcefully integrated into zerg tribe and left the game later on. In the end in EUPVP only there was 3kish people playing before the wipe announcement, and state of the game was poor. Now the game has one final chance to improve or fail.

Edited by gnihar

Depends what you define as "after wipe".

I think shortly after it will hit above 10k, however, when people hear about how well it's going (if that is the case) then it will rise further after maybe a week or so and I think will reach 20k. But bear in mind it hasn't been at 20k since late January.

However, there's also the consideration that people, whether they are undecided on whether they want to play again or not may still decide to log on after wipe to find an island to try and secure a spot until they decide based on feedback whether they want to play.

i was chomping at the bit as soon as they announced the wipe to restart...but i waited so long the excitement has burned me out..and probably wont return and play like a loon for 12 hours a day like i was.....why do it all again if they will wipe it again...and too be fair whats new?...a sub and some islands...i dont do pvp with the kids...im old school....i just wanted a decent pirate game..

age of pirates series and black flag...sid miers ect  are the daddies of that genre still

im getting like this with most games lately...even star citizen i cant be assed to fire it up and im the ptu test for that .

buying a new guitar and focusing on that instead,im almost 40 lads and think im going through this weird phase of regretting wasting my life playing video games since 1985 when i has my first speccy

and i reckon my wife and kids would prefer me too not live in the man cave so much....gonna turn it into recording studio /games room i reckon.

Edited by hurricane moon

1 hour ago, Sneakydude said:

Your dreams are set to high 1-2k tops with 15 Twitch viewers... They are under damage control now

Your expectation are way too low. Currently the player count hits 2k each day already, so how do you predict 2k tops after wipe?

No-one is expecting everyone to come back and loads of new players, but there will be a spike above current daily highs, which as I say are already 2k still.

4 hours ago, Hexz said:

I would have split option 1 up. I'd assume the population will be between 5-10k.  If the chances and patch are well received that could create a chain effect that increased the player base in the following weeks. 

Yeah I was thinking about going by 5k options but didn’t want too many. Hindsight is 20/20 though

3 hours ago, gnihar said:

20ish k is what my gut tells me (basically subconscious generated experience from decades of gaming in similar situations).

Whether the majority of them stay or go is up to devs.

One of the big concern - not the only one, but one of the major ones for sure - there is that zerg tribes - 50 or more active members - will circumvent the alliance and tribe member caps on Colony server cluster designed primarily for small tribes, and conquer most of the nice places to live.

The majority of Atlas gamers, I believe, is solos to small groups. Whoever of that group stayed after the initial desertion wave, is a tough SoB and managed to ally with main competitors or got forcefully integrated into zerg tribe and left the game later on. In the end in EUPVP only there was 3kish people playing before the wipe announcement, and state of the game was poor. Now the game has one final chance to improve or fail.

True. Megas will always be a pest to the rest of the game. We are just going to have to deal with them. 

Like I said before they are like that kid you don’t want to play with so you try to do something else and sure enough they follow you around.

3 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Depends what you define as "after wipe".

I think shortly after it will hit above 10k, however, when people hear about how well it's going (if that is the case) then it will rise further after maybe a week or so and I think will reach 20k. But bear in mind it hasn't been at 20k since late January.

However, there's also the consideration that people, whether they are undecided on whether they want to play again or not may still decide to log on after wipe to find an island to try and secure a spot until they decide based on feedback whether they want to play.

I pretty much meant the initial influx like day 1. If I put too big of a time period there would be way too many variables as you pointed out. Good insights though and might end up being accurate. 

I put 11-20

2 hours ago, hurricane moon said:

i was chomping at the bit as soon as they announced the wipe to restart...but i waited so long the excitement has burned me out..and probably wont return and play like a loon for 12 hours a day like i was.....why do it all again if they will wipe it again...and too be fair whats new?...a sub and some islands...i dont do pvp with the kids...im old school....i just wanted a decent pirate game..

age of pirates series and black flag...sid miers ect  are the daddies of that genre still

im getting like this with most games lately...even star citizen i cant be assed to fire it up and im the ptu test for that .

buying a new guitar and focusing on that instead,im almost 40 lads and think im going through this weird phase of regretting wasting my life playing video games since 1985 when i has my first speccy

and i reckon my wife and kids would prefer me too not live in the man cave so much....gonna turn it into recording studio /games room i reckon.

Very true man. Not to that point yet but every once in awhile I kind of think the same way you do. Still a ways away from 40 but I completely get what you are talking about. Some people just spend way too much time on games. 

Mark had me putting in way too many hours. That is why I am hoping they can change that need for atlas

• Like 1

I've heard many people wanting to come back after the wipe, I was hearing alot of people complain they could not find suitable land with flags planted everywhere so in the end they decided to leave. 

It is now a level playing field for people to build where they want when someone takes an island over, I think this will bring many people back yes but I do see problems in the short term with foundation spam, not sure how that will go but I still see people coming back to the game to give it another go.

Many of us knew server wipes  were likely before the game and will just get on with it. If you feel the same way as DAEMON CROSS in moaning about it throwing the toys out of the pram then this game is not for you at the moment but the majority of us will continue to play.

42 minutes ago, Realist said:

I pretty much meant the initial influx like day 1. If I put too big of a time period there would be way too many variables as you pointed out. Good insights though and might end up being accurate. 

I put 11-20

Also got to consider that 8th April, if they hit the latest ETA is a Monday release, or Tuesday for EU etc. So the weekend will probably see the more noticeable increase.

But yeah, between 10-20k is the likely range. I think it would have to be something spectacular to really push the numbers really high beyond 20k+.

If I remember correctly, just prior to the wipe announcement, the daily peaks were hitting 10k, although continuing the slow downward trend, so anything above 10k would be a good sign.

I will however, reserve judgement until the first full weekend after the wipe has happened to see what effect it really has had.

Although, the PTR will likely see an increase to some degree so that might give us some early indications.

35 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Also got to consider that 8th April, if they hit the latest ETA is a Monday release, or Tuesday for EU etc. So the weekend will probably see the more noticeable increase.

But yeah, between 10-20k is the likely range. I think it would have to be something spectacular to really push the numbers really high beyond 20k+.

If I remember correctly, just prior to the wipe announcement, the daily peaks were hitting 10k, although continuing the slow downward trend, so anything above 10k would be a good sign.

I will however, reserve judgement until the first full weekend after the wipe has happened to see what effect it really has had.

Although, the PTR will likely see an increase to some degree so that might give us some early indications.

Yes the weekend will show a better account. As far as the ptr goes though I don’t see much happening since people know it is a temporary thing which would mean a wipe after it’s done and go back to eu pve. However people will want to check out the new system before hand

1 minute ago, Realist said:

Yes the weekend will show a better account. As far as the ptr goes though I don’t see much happening since people know it is a temporary thing which would mean a wipe after it’s done and go back to eu pve. However people will want to check out the new system before hand

Yeah, i'm joining PTR, mainly because I want to check out the land claim system and the structure decay system. I think quite a few people will want to join PTR to scout out certain things before the servers relaunch rather than jump in blind. I'm pretty sure there will be a spike. Also the PTR may get people back in habbit of playing and then they'll be ready for the long grind at wipe.

Although we all know, the whole thing could flop and go sideways too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

Your expectation are way too low. Currently the player count hits 2k each day already, so how do you predict 2k tops after wipe?

No-one is expecting everyone to come back and loads of new players, but there will be a spike above current daily highs, which as I say are already 2k still.

Hmm un official is where the players are.

1 hour ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

It's going to hit 20k the first weekend post wipe, then in the next 3 weeks it will tumble down to about 5k and stay there for ever. 

I expect 10-20k for the first few days.  It doesn't take long to draw a conclusion if they've messed it up.  If so, it might well drop below 10k or if not and it's fun again.. could well see it go over 20k, maybe even upto full.  Whatever full actually is.. on release it was full almost instantly.. oh the lag.. but I still don't know how many that actually was online.

5 hours ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

That's nice to know, but has no relevance to what was being discussed.

Yes it does, read the title. That's where the majority went in the beginning and that's where they are today, after wipe there still will be a very large community pulling from Official in unofficial. Look elsewhere dude, you didn't like my numbers tough tits brother. Opinions are like shit and your full of them. =D

1 hour ago, Sneakydude said:

Yes it does, read the title. That's where the majority went in the beginning and that's where they are today, after wipe there still will be a very large community pulling from Official in unofficial. Look elsewhere dude, you didn't like my numbers tough tits brother. Opinions are like shit and your full of them. =D

So the title being "Population after wipe?" and the vote options being numbers.

Pretty sure Realist is talking about Atlas population, regardless of whether it's Official, Unofficial, PvP, PvE etc.

So no, your response to my post didn't have any relevance to what I was saying. This topic is talking about Atlas population in general after wipe.

35 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

So the title being "Population after wipe?" and the vote options being numbers.

Pretty sure Realist is talking about Atlas population, regardless of whether it's Official, Unofficial, PvP, PvE etc.

So no, your response to my post didn't have any relevance to what I was saying. This topic is talking about Atlas population in general after wipe.

Technically GP is right. We don’t like each other but we can still have a conversation about things.

to clear things up, we have to go off of steam numbers which include both official and unofficial players, so the total steam count would be for all players.

but also I do believe that unofficial will increase in size after as well. Always does

Never mind, I change my vote. No way there will be more than 7-8k after the wipe. 

I was expecting a lot more people to participate in the ptr. It’s Saturday the bigger pop day and it’s already getting to 2k.

really wish the people that said they were loyal actually stayed loyal.

On 4/6/2019 at 7:14 PM, Realist said:

Never mind, I change my vote. No way there will be more than 7-8k after the wipe. 

I was expecting a lot more people to participate in the ptr. It’s Saturday the bigger pop day and it’s already getting to 2k.

really wish the people that said they were loyal actually stayed loyal.

Woo hoo! I was accurate. 7,800 is definitely 7-8k 👍

not saying it is good or anything, I was just right lol