Sign in to follow this  
Ravenx

Can we just have one server to suit all?

I played on the pvp server and fully realize why people choose to play on the pve.  I get it.  However can we do something to help create one community?  I know our company would love to have people who pve in it.  So is there an actual way with the upcoming changes that we can limit the game to just one or two clusters only?  While I think taking care of people who pve on the islands is a much easier task its when it comes to sailing on the sea where it can be tricky.  We already have a 9hr window for companies to defend there bases.  While I think this portion could be quite enjoyable for pve and pvp players.  Defending a base is much easier then trying to attack one. Which means pve players unless bored won't participate in attacks.  Defending a base is much easier and you really don't need some exceptional pvp skills to be quite productive in the defense of a base.

Now when it comes to sea travel I don't think either side wants it easy and nothing really needs to change for pvpers.  However, giving pve players a neutrality flag so they can't be attacked at sea is fine.  What we can do to give them more excitement and more of a challenge is to increase the difficulty with ships of the damned towards pve players who use a neutrality flag. I feel the flag can be turned off and on but once underway where they can't drop an anchor then the flag they chose is the one they will use for there voyage.  Only way to change the flag would be for the player to drop anchor and reset the flag to there choice.  Pvp players will not have this option.  Maybe make the choice to go pve/pvp upon player creation?  

Thoughts? 

I do not think there is a way to create one server for all that would actually entice both sides, without being extremely exploitable, no.

I have seen questions and suggestions about this, quite a lot of them in fact, but most of them are drawn up by pvpers who design a system that I as a carebear would not be interested in. I'm sure if I drew up a system it wouldn't really appeal to them either. The rare few suggestions that attempt to legitimately appeal to both would end up tremendously exploitable, like this one. Just reading your post I can see dozens of ways pvpers would use that pve protection to exploit the pvp intentions of the game, and vice versa, too.

• Like 1

Given human nature, you will never have a server that will suit all.  Absolutely never.

• Like 1

There are already games that has both features in the same server,  the issue is and always has been is pvp’ers try to troll pve players into flagging for pvp which in the end results in pve players leaving the game because they get tired of being harassed.  

In this game pvp players would dominate the game because pve players have no interest in pvp or they would be in a pvp server.  The only reason pvp players were in pve servers was to learn the game and mechanics of the ships, once that was done they switched servers, now I know there are countless people who pvp that would love to troll pve players and just constantly cause them havoc for no other reason then because they could.

1 hour ago, Ravenx said:

I played on the pvp server and fully realize why people choose to play on the pve.  I get it.  However can we do something to help create one community?  I know our company would love to have people who pve in it.  So is there an actual way with the upcoming changes that we can limit the game to just one or two clusters only?  While I think taking care of people who pve on the islands is a much easier task its when it comes to sailing on the sea where it can be tricky.  We already have a 9hr window for companies to defend there bases.  While I think this portion could be quite enjoyable for pve and pvp players.  Defending a base is much easier then trying to attack one. Which means pve players unless bored won't participate in attacks.  Defending a base is much easier and you really don't need some exceptional pvp skills to be quite productive in the defense of a base.

Now when it comes to sea travel I don't think either side wants it easy and nothing really needs to change for pvpers.  However, giving pve players a neutrality flag so they can't be attacked at sea is fine.  What we can do to give them more excitement and more of a challenge is to increase the difficulty with ships of the damned towards pve players who use a neutrality flag. I feel the flag can be turned off and on but once underway where they can't drop an anchor then the flag they chose is the one they will use for there voyage.  Only way to change the flag would be for the player to drop anchor and reset the flag to there choice.  Pvp players will not have this option.  Maybe make the choice to go pve/pvp upon player creation?  

Thoughts? 

Pvp people and pve people have hated each other for years. They will never be one community with each other 

Why do all the requests to merge pve and pvp have designs that pve people clearly wouldn't want?  Hey, why don't you be a community with us, and we can attack your bases and you have to defend them?

Well, because that's pvp and it's not how we like to play.

Hey, why don't you all merge with us and you can have 8 squares of the map, and we'll put all the good resources over in pvp?

Your salesmanship needs work.

Here's an idea - why don't YOU merge with us.  First you'll have to clean up your rotten environment, including group chat, character and company names referring to private body parts, griefing, childish name-calling, and all the rest of it.  We'll give you 16 squares of the map to pvp on, and that's where you have to have your claims, but all the bosses and the good loot and resources will be in pve.  And the skill system will change so that you can either do pvp or crafting but not both.

Any takers?

• Like 5

We have pve players in our pvp clan. They just don't consider themselves pve players.

It is entirely possible and more exciting when pve players play on pvp servers. Every clan needs them.

I don't actually hate or hold anything against pvpers at all. I have 1300 hours on pve but I am also an officer in a top 5 company on pvp at the same time, because I brought over a lot of ideas to them that we use on pve that they hadn't a freaking clue about. The two sides are actually quite able to work together and anyone who doesn't see that is missing something.

But our goals and objectives and playstyles are absolutely not the same, and are never going to be the same. My pvp friends have asked me easily more than a hundred times to play pvp fulltime with them post-wipe, and that answer is still no, because I'm not interested. I don't enjoy the game in the same way that they do. And this is okay.

2 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

why do you think people choose to play pve?

better question is  people choose to play pvp? 

answer is 

pvp'ers do not play the game to play it, the play the game to kill, destroy, conquer others, they only follow game mechanics at the barest minimum level to achieve the ability to kill , hence the name players vs players. This has been true since the first day of gaming in where one player could kill another, and it will not stop , because human nature

play the game, get a reward or play the game, kill George, and it will always be dead George

now, if they need to kill the Kraken to get the super-duper sword of George killing then they will, but the primary focus has been, will be, kill George, just the way  PVP works

The only time the game mechanic is important is when it must be done to kill George, otherwise they are ignored

simply put, George must, will die... all other parts are just so much fluff in a designers dream

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

To be fair, I don't think all pvp players are toxic or just want to kill George.  (Poor George).     But there are enough of them that they ruin the game for me.   It just strikes me as funny that the idea keeps coming up, and it always comes from the pvp side of the game, and the thinking is bizarre.    If you're trying to convince a group that doesn't like your play environment to come over and join it, you have to offer them something they might like, but the ideas only ever include takeaways for pve players.  Do pvp players have any ability to stand in someone else's shoes and understand how these offers sound?

We've had one guy on another thread trying to push this idea by stating that - this is a sandbox game and sandbox games, by definition are pvp.  Sandbox games by definition are also all players mixed on one server, and can't be split.  When the pve players object to the idea, he calls them "bathroom challenged"  mo*@#&^f*#ers, and millenial snowflakes and demands that they all come and play on his server.    What an attractive prospect, to spend your leisure time hanging around with people like that, huh?

I'm sure there are some pve players in companies on the pvp server.  If I had a bunch of friends who wanted to play, and they all wanted to be on pvp, I'd try that too, to play with my friends, but I wouldn't be very happy there.    I have played pvp in games before, but it was when I had time to focus more on the game, and when the game had real reasons for pvp in it...long term strategies to accomplish something more than owning a square of the map.  Pvp here has all the depth of a board game of risk with some pew pew thrown in.  Not interesting enough to put up with all the drawbacks.

EvE online put me off PvP games for life.  There's no road back from that.

PvErs will always be to PvPers what cattle are to the meat farmers, or the mice are to the cats.

There's unfortunately no ruleset, other than that which we see in games like WOW ('theme parks' ridicule to most PvPers) that can suit PvP and PvE play styles.  I wish their was, but the phrase 'risk vs reward' is often abused to the point of scornful hatred when asking developers to force players 'with no weapons' into the spider webs of pew pew.

I wish there was middle ground!   There's an endless cycle of argument in Elite Dangerous on this exact thing, but unlike EvE developers, the Elite Dangerous team are sticking up for their PvE playerbase (much to the unrest of some), but screwing about with generic balancing FOR PvP much to the unrest of others!   Cycle of hell.   The only true way (and least cost effective) is to have two server sets, and two different rule sets.  Let PvP & PvE flourish in their own environments.

13 hours ago, Pirate Hawkins said:

better question is  people choose to play pvp? 

answer is 

pvp'ers do not play the game to play it, the play the game to kill, destroy, conquer others, they only follow game mechanics at the barest minimum level to achieve the ability to kill , hence the name players vs players. This has been true since the first day of gaming in where one player could kill another, and it will not stop , because human nature

play the game, get a reward or play the game, kill George, and it will always be dead George

now, if they need to kill the Kraken to get the super-duper sword of George killing then they will, but the primary focus has been, will be, kill George, just the way  PVP works

The only time the game mechanic is important is when it must be done to kill George, otherwise they are ignored

simply put, George must, will die... all other parts are just so much fluff in a designers dream

Great post!

It's domination!

archeage game, tiene pvp y pve en el mismo servidor, tiene un oficio que le gustaría tener el atlas, atlas es arca con barcos y poco más, el cultivo de atlas es arca, la domesticación es de arca, si nosotros Retiramos los botes y colocamos los dinos. Nadie notaría la diferencia del atlas con una expansión del arca.

archeage tiene zonas neutrales y pvp, y las zonas que cambian de neutral a pvp de vez en cuando, lo único que es pvp es el mar una vez que te alejas de la costa, el sistema es bueno tanto para el pvp como para el pve

Edited by duque

1 hour ago, duque said:

archeage game, tiene pvp y pve en el mismo servidor, tiene un oficio que le gustaría tener el atlas, atlas es arca con barcos y poco más, el cultivo de atlas es arca, la domesticación es de arca, si nosotros Retiramos los botes y colocamos los dinos. Nadie notaría la diferencia del atlas con una expansión del arca.

archeage tiene zonas neutrales y pvp, y las zonas que cambian de neutral a pvp de vez en cuando, lo único que es pvp es el mar una vez que te alejas de la costa, el sistema es bueno tanto para el pvp como para el pve

translated - 

archeage game, has pvp and pve on the same server, has an office that would like to have the atlas, atlas is ark with boats and little else, the cultivation of atlas is ark, the domestication is of ark, if we remove the boats and we place the dinos. Nobody would notice the difference of the atlas with an expansion of the ark. archeage has neutral zones and pvp, and the zones that change from neutral to pvp from time to time, the only thing that is pvp is the sea once you move away from the coast, the system is good for both the pvp and the pvp

• Thanks 1

The problem is in the logic. Deva should stop thinking about making everyone happy. This isn’t even a subscription game. They should shutdown support for private servers and make one game type. One community would be the best thing and what this game needs. The community is way to fragmented.....unless my theory is correct and everything going on right now is but a simple poll to test for the most fun/popular game type. Devs may be simple waiting for the most fun version of the game to appear and then they will grasp onto that for the live final version.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Winter Thorne said:

I had the forum in my native language and when I posted the comment in English my browser seemed to put English into my mother tongue, thanks for correcting it

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Noodled Jenkins said:

The community is way to fragmented

Me as a PVE player dont care about that, one community only sounds good for PVPers (more Georges less alfa anyone?).

9 hours ago, Noodled Jenkins said:

The problem is in the logic. Deva should stop thinking about making everyone happy. This isn’t even a subscription game. They should shutdown support for private servers and make one game type. One community would be the best thing and what this game needs. The community is way to fragmented.....unless my theory is correct and everything going on right now is but a simple poll to test for the most fun/popular game type. Devs may be simple waiting for the most fun version of the game to appear and then they will grasp onto that for the live final version.

You should probably read this thread

• Haha 1