Sign in to follow this  
Kidori

Vitamin System Rework

Our company all have what we call "dying boxes" on board our ships. vitamins down? Put all your stuff in the dying box and jump overboard!

Dying and vitamins need a rework. Perhaps a wound system like SWG you keep dying your health pool gets smaller.Then the medicines will be a viable field to spec into. As this would be the way you get your full health pool back. This cut zerging down to almost nothing. The musicians and dancer professions in SWG would buff these stats so you had a reason to go to a tavern and socialize for a few mins while you buffed up before battle. It worked really well and should be re implemented here.

Edited by engraverwilliam
  • Like 1

my wife and me really liked the system...i for one think dying from vitamins should be more punishing so that you also have to plan the food for your voyages and such...i think this adds a lot to the game so dare they remove it 😛

• Like 1

I somehow can understand intentionally dying on a ship, most likely you dont have EQ because off server crossing.

In other situations, the EQ is far to good to give it up.

If you are established, it only takes 5-10 minutes of farming for food, to be set for like 24 hours of gaming. Vitamines are easy to manage when the food system is understood.

• Like 1

so that you also have to plan the food for your voyages 

Yeah but right now you no need to plan anything. Just put in your food box 200 fish, meat, vegies and berries. You see you vit's goin down - you stay and press "del" for several times to low your stamina. Then do it few times more until you stomach lvl is low. Eat 5 fish, 5 meat, 20 vegies and 20 berries. You done for next few hours...

14 hours ago, Kveldulf said:

Let's not make this a game for 5-year-olds the way Sony handled SWG.  There are plenty of other games that are stupefyingly simplistic.  The fact that Atlas does not aspire to be one of them is refreshing.

As Jack Shandy pointed out, the food situation is absolutely manageable.  Milk helps, the order in which you eat makes a difference.  When to add fruit makes a difference.

Pay attention to the system rather than just stuffing your face or forgetting you need to think ahead a little bit.  You're going out to sea, so you have to plan a little.  As it should be.  There is no way this should become some brain-dead arcade game.  Nope, nope, nope.

Temperature?  You want to remove it?  No.  No way.  Tweak it so it makes a bit more sense?  Absolutely.  Can't be bothered to think ahead about what you're gonna need on your trip?  Die. 

If you want to play a game that requires no brainpower at all, plenty of them out there.  Better yet, get two cups, fill one with water, transfer the water back and forth.  You can go ooh, and ahh, as you do so.  It's great fun, and a freakin' monkey could do it.  Enjoy.

I don't think you understand why people don't like it.  Because it's not fun.  Games are supposed to be fun.  Challenging...yes, but this is not actually challenging...it's tedious.  I like the way most unofficial servers make this more enjoyable.  It always irritates me when I go to official with the shear amount of attention you have to give to the vitamins.  You have to constantly eat.  If you don't, your vitamins get too low, and you can't get them back up by just eating.  This pulls me right out of the immersion.  I don't have to constantly eat in real life, while in the middle of tasks I am doing.  I eat two or three times a day, and maybe a snack when I get hungry.  This vitamin thing in this game is just not fun.  I am not opposed to having to use brain power in a game.  I simply don't like this mechanic.  It's not that it takes a lot of brain power.  It doesn't.  It simply draws my attention away from things I would rather devote brain power to.  You have to constantly keep your mind on it, and not devote a lot of brain power to what you want to because if you do, your vitamins will end up so low that just filling back up on food won't raise them.   It's the shear amount of times you have to eat that wrecks the fun.  So once again, I am so glad that Star Citizen is not going to do this.  Eating will be more realistic in that game, as per Chris Roberts.  It's will be there just to add depth to the game...not be a major focus of the game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, George Catcher said:

Yeah but right now you no need to plan anything. Just put in your food box 200 fish, meat, vegies and berries. You see you vit's goin down - you stay and press "del" for several times to low your stamina. Then do it few times more until you stomach lvl is low. Eat 5 fish, 5 meat, 20 vegies and 20 berries. You done for next few hours...

Few hours?  Last time I was on official, you couldn't get anything done without having to eat in the middle of that task. 

48 minutes ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I don't think you understand why people don't like it.  Because it's not fun.  Games are supposed to be fun.  Challenging...yes, but this is not actually challenging...it's tedious.  I like the way most unofficial servers make this more enjoyable.  It always irritates me when I go to official with the shear amount of attention you have to give to the vitamins.  You have to constantly eat.  If you don't, your vitamins get too low, and you can't get them back up by just eating.  This pulls me right out of the immersion.

I don't think you understand why people don't like it.  Because it's not fun.  Games are supposed to be fun.  Challenging...yes, but this is not actually challenging...it's tedious.  I like the way most unofficial servers make this more enjoyable.  It always irritates me when I go to official with the shear amount of attention you have to give to farming.  You have to constantly farm.  If you don't, your materials get too low, and you can't get them back up by just looking at a tree.  This pulls me right out of the immersion.

There fixed it for you 🙂 . only kidding, but you can see why I don't get your point of view for this type of game.

Few hours?  Last time I was on official, you couldn't get anything done without having to eat in the middle of that task. 

Maybe that's because low fortitude? We live in Tundra and have to keep it above 30 (maybe 40) and it's greatly lower vits decay rate.

Edited by George Catcher

10 minutes ago, Jack Shandy said:

There fixed it for you 🙂 . only kidding, but you can see why I don't get your point of view for this type of game.

Except that you don't have to farm wood in the middle of taming a bear.  You don't have to farm stone in the middle of a sea battle.  You don't have to farm flint in the middle of grabbing a power stone.  You don't have to farm metal while placing planks an decks on your ship.  You don't have to farm salt while placing structures for you base.  See my point?

What I like about the manner that Star Citizen is going to handle food is that it will be more like real life, and add to the game.  You have an actual reason to go to the cafeteria on a ship, or to a restaurant/bar while on a planet, or space station.  But you don't have to eat in the middle of a dogfight.  It adds to the game...adds depth to it.

• Like 1

At this stage of the game it's hit "9" eat Fish and Chips, hit "10" eat a pork pie. (all vitamins get balanced)

If you are not prepared, it can be an issue.

If you can't be bothered, it can be an issue.

If you don't want to play the game as it's been designed, it can be an issue.

For some reason i can hit 2 buttons in the middle of a sea battle, i can also hit those 2 buttons when building base. admittedly i have the awful chore of moving my pork pies to my "8" slot when i need to tame something. You're making me feel like some elite gamer, being able to add those 2 button presses to almost any task.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

At this stage of the game it's hit "9" eat Fish and Chips, hit "10" eat a pork pie. (all vitamins get balanced)

If you are not prepared, it can be an issue.

If you can't be bothered, it can be an issue.

If you don't want to play the game as it's been designed, it can be an issue.

For some reason i can hit 2 buttons in the middle of a sea battle, i can also hit those 2 buttons when building base. admittedly i have the awful chore of moving my pork pies to my "8" slot when i need to tame something. You're making me feel like some elite gamer, being able to add those 2 button presses to almost any task.

Obviously you like this.  Most people do not.  Most prefer the ARK method.  Just eat when you are hungry and be done with it.

I prefer, as I have stated, the way Star Citizen is going to do it.  More realistic.

• Like 1

For me the biggest problem is that the vitamine system doesn't fit well into the gameplay.

When I go out farming stuff by hand, my hunger depletes faster than the vitamins do, so I end up in surplussing all vitamins because I have to eat a lot. The best way to circumvent this is to die from time to time.

When I build a lot of stuff or go farming with animals, the vitamins deplete faster than my hunger, so I end up having no hunger but die from vitamin lack. The best way to circumvent this is to die from time to time.

This is just paradox: You are full of vitamins but die from hunger, or you are not hungry at all but die because you need vitamins.

• Like 3

It's not a bad concept, the vitamin system, it's just incredibly badly designed, poorly implemented, and gives a buff so unimportant that I have never actually looked at what it does.  😄  Killing your character means instant balanced vitamin levels and no points wasted in the Cooking and Farming tree.  Actually, several other skill trees are not worth bothering with apart from those two which is down to, yet again, poor design and implementation, but that's for another thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malakai030 said:

This is just paradox: You are full of vitamins but die from hunger, or you are not hungry at all but die because you need vitamins.

Cooked meals balance vitamins. problem solved.

22 minutes ago, Coggage said:

and gives a buff so unimportant that I have never actually looked at what it does.

Fortitude: +30

Melee Damage: +20%

Movement Speed: +10%

It used to have an XP buff as well, but thats not on the wiki.

That's pretty important, that fortitude alone is impresive.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:45 AM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

I believe some foods maintain vitamins longer than others.  It's a balancing act, for sure.

For people who have trouble because their hunger is going down faster than they can spend vitamins... more stamina helps.  Hunger goes down when recovering chunks of stamina.  The more stamina, the less hunger overall.

Also works the other way.  I was going through vitamins pretty quickly, the foods I eat don't take long to digest.  I went with less stamina so I'm hungry more often and can more finely tune my vitamin intake based on what's readily and easily available.

There is way more than one way to approach all this.  Different players, different strategies.

Having said that, I'm not at all against tweaking these systems.  By all means, that's why we're in early access providing feedback.  What I object to, and strongly at that, is people who want to get rid of the system because they couldn't figure it out, or more likely because they didn't want to take the time to figure it out and just want to pew pew.

I want more from my games than pew pew.

1 hour ago, Kveldulf said:

I want more from my games than pew pew.

I want more than chew chew.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Coggage said:

I want more than chew chew.

It's just the sheer amount of times you have to eat, or spend a lot of points on Fortitude.  Here's what I don't like about putting RPG stuff into MMO games.  Eventually, a meta comes out, and everybody just does pretty much the same thing anyway.  So why bother with it.  Games do need depth, but not things that pass as depth, but aren't really depth.

of course, then we again get to the point that the depth makes the game unfriendly to new people.  Crew comes in, makes a few ships, get in a fight with one Mythical ship, get WTFPwned, and after all their ships sink, they say screw it, and find a new game.  Every MMO with RPG elements has run into this problem.  Nobody has actually solved that problem.  They often try to make noob servers, but they inevitably get invaded by vets who buy second accounts, just to go school the noobs.  In real life competitions, these things get sorted out so that everyone has fun.  Pros play pros, semi-pros play semi-pros, amateurs play amateurs, etc...

Of course with Factions, that is no longer a problem.  Both sides have new guys, and the new guys are surrounded by veterans who know the game, and help the new guys.

• Like 1