Sign in to follow this  
Kidori

Vitamin System Rework

Can we please get some more information about the changes coming to the vitamin system?

While we've gotten some information about the upcoming claim system changes we have not heard anything at all about how the vitamin system is being reworked, and it might be good to have some info on it before the test servers go live.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Megalithic said:

it needs to be removed

It does.  It's just so easy to bypass it's not worth having it at all.  Even with points spent on vitamin skills I just die and respawn 50% of the time.  They could get rid of the f'ing irritating mini-games too.  If I have spent points on a skills in the firearm skill tree, that should be all I need to do to speed things up - I should not have to continue putting up with a poxy mini-game as well.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kidori said:

Can we please get some more information about the changes coming to the vitamin system?

While we've gotten some information about the upcoming claim system changes we have not heard anything at all about how the vitamin system is being reworked, and it might be good to have some info on it before the test servers go live.

Yes. This was one of the toughes that was supposed to be made in the mega update. Yet again, everything is surrounded by the ptr and the wipe.

this is very unfortunate because it leads me to believe the mega update is only ptr and following wipe. The reason this is a problem is because all of the other content that was going to come during the mega update will be delayed until another mega update comes.

this is a problem because even if there was a road map which there is not, they will just continue to piece anything together that they can, which makes a road map not only unneeded but irrelevant.

even if they haven’t figured out the “newly added” ptr/revamp/wipe it doesn’t really matter. There were a lot of other things coming to the game and there has not been an official response on that for over a month(yeah that’s longer than is needed).

48 minutes ago, Coggage said:

It does.  It's just so easy to bypass it's not worth having it at all.  Even with points spent on vitamin skills I just die and respawn 50% of the time.  They could get rid of the f'ing irritating mini-games too.  If I have spent points on a skills in the firearm skill tree, that should be all I need to do to speed things up - I should not have to continue putting up with a poxy mini-game as well.

Yeah I saw the mini games. They seem very stupid to say the least

I think back in December I might have died 2 or 3 times to vitamin deficiency, then learnt the meat, fish, berries and veg balance to get the very helpful fort & XP buff.

After building a base and getting a few seeds, making fish & chips and pork pies was real easy and ensured I or my company never starved or lost the buff (crossing servers ought to be fixed) again.

I usually hate the get gud crown, but really!!!

• Like 2

The buff is actually very powerful but a lot of the time its easier just to kill self rather then bothering with it.

I suspect with this rework, when you die maybe your vitamins will start really low, either that or they'll remove the start timer for vitamins.

Edited by Bullet Force

15 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

I suspect with this rework, when you die maybe your vitamins will start really low, either that or they'll remove the start timer for vitamins.

Nice Ideas, removing the timer getting the buff would also sort out the crossing server and losing the buff issue.

Also people might try harder if its a buff you loose rather than gain. (think i'll post that in suggestions)

Edited by Jack Shandy
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Jack Shandy said:

I think back in December I might have died 2 or 3 times to vitamin deficiency, then learnt the meat, fish, berries and veg balance to get the very helpful fort & XP buff.

After building a base and getting a few seeds, making fish & chips and pork pies was real easy and ensured I or my company never starved or lost the buff (crossing servers ought to be fixed) again.

I usually hate the get gud crown, but really!!!

I do have the "get gud crown".  I have the usual cow and chicken in the back yard, just like everyone else, and I have points in the vitamin skills, but there are still times when it is just much more convenient to die and respawn.  I may be travelling longer than I planned to for some reason, or I may be in a region where fruit is not common and, unlike vegetables, you can't grow fruit.  When I am sailing I usually never bother with food and water at all - there is no point.

44 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

Nobody is considering that the vitamin rework is just the prereq to death penalties?

I'm not even considering death penalties, because in a game with so many bugs like this, bringing in death penalities is stupid.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, [GP] Guybrush Threepwood said:

I'm not even considering death penalties, because in a game with so many bugs like this, bringing in death penalities is stupid.

I agree, but it seems logical that this is the first thing to do to bring those in.  The temperature thing either needs a major rework or needs to go, too.

46 minutes ago, Winter Thorne said:

I agree, but it seems logical that this is the first thing to do to bring those in.  The temperature thing either needs a major rework or needs to go, too.

The temperature game mechanic is damn stupid.  The times I have gone from one temperature extreme to the other in less than 10 seconds!

• Like 1

I just forgotten about it at all... I mean... I lived in Tundra. I had 40 of fortitude. And all I had to do is from time to time just eat 5 fish, 5 meat and 20 berries and vegies at once. And that was enough to rise my hunger from 30% to a bit above 100% and keep all my vit level above 50% at the same level. (Fishing is simple - I dive underwater, hit closest fish with my spear, drag it body to the shore and hit it with my pick. No need ANY skills for it).

So I just didn't pay attention to what's happened in this vits level menu at all. And I keep asking - why this system exists if you find your way to maintain it and then just forget about it.

Long journeys were problem due to inactivity before (we had to hit the air with sickle or dance). But then devs came with "scream" feature - so you use your silent scream several times - and then you dramatically lower your hunger level...

And the most stupid thing about is - it erase your equilibrium level when you cross the border. There is no logic in it.

So... I agree, this system don't give you anything, even a challenge, because it's no challenge at all to hit "del" button 100 times during to long way sailing. So why it even exists?

Edited by George Catcher
  • Like 1

I like the idea of the vitamin system.

It does need fixed tho.  People who die should get a negative hit for a start, so they either need to die more often or eat more food.  Over a timed period the negative aspects could be reduced, eventually removed.

Also the bonus for vit balance should be increased so people get bigger bonuses for being in balance. 

I'd also like to see the drops whilst at sea removed completely.   It shouldn't matter how far from land you are how rapidly your vit levels drop.  Similarly with food & water I'd like to see those levels drop faster if you're doing physical exercise or affected by the cold/heat etc. (They're already done alot here, but it needs revamped to work properly) Maybe they could even add in a bathing option, where a player who doesn't bathe gets smelly and attracts flies over time.  Eventually they become easier to see as the smell makes it unmistakable where they are.. meaning animals attack them more often etc.

People who die alot should also get respawn penalties esp timers, if they die the vit levels should be low say 5% and if they die often, they respawn slower.  Similar to bed timers.

People who rarely die should get buffs and the buffs for food should last longer, be better as well, and they should add melting screens etc for people drinking alcohol.. so it's like real life.. spinnning rooms...oh yes.

Edited by Martyn

Hate the system because it is too distracting from the interesting gameplay at the worst times. If they have to keep it, I would at least be tolerable it if your character would auto-eat from foods that would best balance your vitamins from your inventory (like tames).

I don't hold a lot of hope they will do this, of course, so I guess if they want to make it even worse, they could force players to manually have to take a dump every few minutes like tames. That would probably push me over the edge to quit.

IMAO they should turn this system from "it's necessary to live" to "you use it for buffs".

Like you eat anything you want for fulfill your stomach. And balanced food provide you this equilibrium buff.

• Like 2

Sometimes it's easier to die for some animal or if it's possible to eat poop (lol I know it's disgusting but it's instantaneous).

The changes I suggest to the vitamin system would be:

• Staying with the balanced vitamins of a temporary "Buff" that increases your character's overall status as maximum health, movement speed by 10% even though he has the vitamins balanced. calculated on the basis of total life.
  • Each level of Vitamin Skill would increase 5% or 10% of the Total Status Buff by staying healthy.
  • Ability to plant Acerola, Lemon, Acai for sources of vitamin C.
  • Vitamin D eggs should be like cow's milk because there are already many vegetables with vitamin A (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_as_food)

Everyone was happy when Chris Roberts stated that for Star Citizen, your character would need to eat, drink, sleep and use the restroom, but that these wouldn't work like survival games do.  It will be more realistic.  You character isn't going to die just because you didn't eat anything in the last 2 hours.

They should add additional eating animations, that show you holding whatever you're eating.  And when drinking as well.

Just need protein, vitamins, and hydration.  Done.

Meat gives protein, everything else vitamins.  Hydration speaks for itself.

I quite like the having to eat thing, makes sense.  But what doesn't make sense is dying from eating too much cured ham.

At the weekend went to a buffet carvery, damn I ate too much meat.... didn't die... felt sick and bloated and had to stop, but I can for sure tell you that my vision didn't go green and I definitely didn't end up in a coma.

I think the poisoning could go...   unless you ate some poison stuff, or you got e coli from uncooked scorpion anus.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2019 at 2:12 PM, Sneakydude said:

Mini games and Vitamins need to be removed.

I agree on the mini games, I just didn't see the point in playing a mini game in gun battles.

I'd like to see what they've done for vitamins, I'd like to  see them keep it and improve it making it better. In PVE they must keep it and it gives us something to work on in game, PVP probably not so much when you're busy fighting other players. 

Let's not make this a game for 5-year-olds the way Sony handled SWG.  There are plenty of other games that are stupefyingly simplistic.  The fact that Atlas does not aspire to be one of them is refreshing.

As Jack Shandy pointed out, the food situation is absolutely manageable.  Milk helps, the order in which you eat makes a difference.  When to add fruit makes a difference.

Pay attention to the system rather than just stuffing your face or forgetting you need to think ahead a little bit.  You're going out to sea, so you have to plan a little.  As it should be.  There is no way this should become some brain-dead arcade game.  Nope, nope, nope.

Temperature?  You want to remove it?  No.  No way.  Tweak it so it makes a bit more sense?  Absolutely.  Can't be bothered to think ahead about what you're gonna need on your trip?  Die. 

If you want to play a game that requires no brainpower at all, plenty of them out there.  Better yet, get two cups, fill one with water, transfer the water back and forth.  You can go ooh, and ahh, as you do so.  It's great fun, and a freakin' monkey could do it.  Enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1