Sign in to follow this  
Realist

Dangerous territory 90%

Things aren’t looking good at all right now. We are getting dangerously close to a 90% over all drop. Still at 88% but after a few days it might come down to that.

the wipe is still quite a ways away so something is going to have to be done.

it would be nice if the other 8k people came back, but I really don’t see the other 27k coming back since they left even before the wipe was announced.

there has really only been a 6k drop since the wipe was announced but if that 6k came back it would at least keep them above water, even though the water level is just below the chin.

we have just over a week to see if the ptr actually comes or not in the beginning of April and if it does it could give some indication of the returning people.

i really don’t think the ptr will only be a week though so we will need to wait about a month to see if the wipe will be able to bring some people back.

either way, this is dangerous territory.

Edited by Realist
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

The most unacceptable thing about this patch is not that it took 3 months (and counting). It's not that it was announced poorly. It's not that it completely stalled and then murdered any interest in the game.

The most unacceptable thing is the blanket of radio silence from the community managers. This patch is already way, way, WAY late and there are major aspects and features, in this patch, that we have never seen and know basically nothing about. Entire features that are entirely just question marks.

At this stage in the patch cycle, we should know what's in it. We should have a very solid knowledge of what is happening to the game. We should've been able to tease specific detailed info from either the CMs or the devs themselves, about how specific mechanics will interact together. We should be pretty confident that further major features will not be added to the eventual patch.

It is March 23rd, and we have none of this. The blame rests entirely on Grapeshot for it. They don't talk to us basically at all, let alone enough. Say something. Say anything. Did you get moved to working on another game or something.

14 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

The most unacceptable thing about this patch is not that it took 3 months (and counting). It's not that it was announced poorly. It's not that it completely stalled and then murdered any interest in the game.

The most unacceptable thing is the blanket of radio silence from the community managers. This patch is already way, way, WAY late and there are major aspects and features, in this patch, that we have never seen and know basically nothing about. Entire features that are entirely just question marks.

At this stage in the patch cycle, we should know what's in it. We should have a very solid knowledge of what is happening to the game. We should've been able to tease specific detailed info from either the CMs or the devs themselves, about how specific mechanics will interact together. We should be pretty confident that further major features will not be added to the eventual patch.

It is March 23rd, and we have none of this. The blame rests entirely on Grapeshot for it. They don't talk to us basically at all, let alone enough. Say something. Say anything. Did you get moved to working on another game or something.

Yes. I was definitely hoping they had learned from ark. I actually was.

it did seem like they had changed in the beginning but now it is pretty much back to randomly changing things. Radio silence and a disregard for the players.

it is very unfortunate but if you have played ark then I am mainly just preaching to the choir right now. But yes it does suck

On 3/23/2019 at 10:30 PM, Amy3 said:

Welcome to wildcard..aka grapeshot.. aka snail games.

They post what they want, when they want.  That said.. you could also watch twitter for jats tweets, he tweets out something almost every day.  So not exactly a blanket of silence.  You need to pull your head out of the sand to see it.

Edited by Martyn
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Realist said:

Things aren’t looking good at all right now. We are getting dangerously close to a 90% over all drop. Still at 88% but after a few days it might come down to that.

it would be nice if the other 8k people came back, but I really don’t see the other 27k coming back since they left even before the wipe was announced.

there has really only been a 6k drop since the wipe was announced but if that 6k came back it would at least keep them above water, even though the water level is just below the chin.

we have just over a week to see if the ptr actually comes or not in the beginning of April and if it does it could give some indication of the returning people.

i really don’t think the ptr will only be a week though so we will need to wait about a month to see if the wipe will be able to bring some people back.

Are the legends true? You really have not even played the game? Or are these only fairy tales?

What's the definition of insanity? Posting on a game forum you don't even play 1000+ times? I'd say its something close to that. Then again I now understand how you have time to write so much.

Edited by Bandit_Black

33 minutes ago, Bandit_Black said:

Are the legends true? You really have not even played the game? Or are these only fairy tales?

What's the definition of insanity? Posting on a game forum you don't even play 1000+ times? I'd say its something close to that. Then again I now understand how you have time to write so much.

Evidently 1200 now. My buddy south informed me of that just a little bit ago.

you guys sure go off topic a lot

I'm pretty sure it's less insane to have 1200 posts in this forum than it is to have 1300 hours in ATLAS, which is what I got

I'm pretty insane though ngl

2 hours ago, Martyn said:

Welcome to wildcard..aka grapeshot.. aka snail games.

They post what they want, when they want.  That said.. you could also watch twitter for jeds tweets, he tweets out something almost every day.  So not exactly a blanket of silence.  You need to pull your head out of the sand to see it.

Jat is at GDC and hasn't tweeted all week.

Is he promoting Atlas? I kind of doubt it? Is someone else promoting Atlas in his place? No.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

I'm pretty sure it's less insane to have 1200 posts in this forum than it is to have 1300 hours in ATLAS, which is what I got

Is he promoting Atlas? I kind of doubt it? Is someone else promoting Atlas in his place? No.

Yeah they went to GDC to get expert advice on game development. Expert advice on how to run an indie company is a major section of the conference.

hopefully they get some good advice because they really need it right about now.

maybe the experts can tell them how to do the claim system as well. I almost guarantee that is why they are putting off the ptr and the wipe

There is no dangerous territory in an EA game. This just makes server maintenance and performance easy.

In two years, Grapeshot will have fixed and implemented many things, and then will rehype the launch. People will flock. Again.

It's going to be fine.

1 minute ago, Bowtie said:

There is no dangerous territory in an EA game. This just makes server maintenance and performance easy.

In two years, Grapeshot will have fixed and implemented many things, and then will rehype the launch. People will flock. Again.

It's going to be fine.

Nope. Numbers will slightly go up but there won’t be a flock as you say. Ark maintained steady numbers all throughout.

atlas is now at the same numbers are no mans sky 

3 hours ago, Realist said:

Nope. Numbers will slightly go up but there won’t be a flock as you say. Ark maintained steady numbers all throughout.

atlas is now at the same numbers are no mans sky 

that's what happens when you wipe your game when noone really thinks you wil - ppl are pissed. if you then manage to pospone the wipe even further a lot will find other games that might keep them. let's just hope enough will come back and they won't wipe again. no matter how many tell on the forums how normal wipes are in EA and that wipes are a blast....not many will stay around with wipes and face it, if you go into EA with a launch hype like they did you will never ever get such a "real launch" hype again. so they better sort it out for their relaunch as they call it and get the wiping off the table after this one at least. next wipe would kill this game for good i'd say.

Edited by Xenom

2 hours ago, Xenom said:

that's what happens when you wipe your game when noone really thinks you wil - ppl are pissed. if you then manage to pospone the wipe even further a lot will find other games that might keep them. let's just hope enough will come back and they won't wipe again. no matter how many tell on the forums how normal wipes are in EA and that wipes are a blast....not many will stay around with wipes and face it, if you go into EA with a launch hype like they did you will never ever get such a "real launch" hype again. so they better sort it out for their relaunch as they call it and get the wiping off the table after this one at least. next wipe would kill this game for good i'd say.

Very true xenom. A lot of people got blindsided by the wipe especially since they didn’t with ark. And yes there are people that think everything with ea is ok but it just really isn’t.

this kind of drop doesn’t happen with all ea games like they say either. I know people don’t like comparing this to ark but you kind of have to at this point. 

Ark had a rough ea phase as well but when you look at the the numbers ark never dropped nearly as much as atlas. I mean not even close.

and to be honest even at launch with all the hype atlas still only had 58k for an all time peak. It took over 7 months before arks peak dropped down to below atlas all time high which was launch day and wildcard was in its infancy so nobody really knew about them.

even with the bad bugs and mass duping and so on it still took another 11 months after that for ark to drop below that 58k all time high of atlas.

with them wiping only 3 months into the two year ea phase I think it is almost impossible that there won’t be more coming. I think they are lost at this point and never thought this thing through.

edit: the sad part is I was having to use atlas’ best day ever and compare it to arks worst day ever. Now atlas peaks out under 3k even in the weekends and even drops as low as 1k total. That is not normal for ea

Edited by Realist

to be honest i do think that atlas can do fine with fewer numbers as i am quite sure after release we will have a shop with skins or items for conveniences for a lot of things which i personally think is good and the game isn't depending on new players that buy the base game or dlc's all the time. skins are nice, not game breaking or p2w and ppl keep buying them 🙂

that's one of the reasons i do not really understand why they risk their current playerbase that kept playing for a chance to get new ones with a wipe and premature rework of something that only needed a few tweaks - i think it was just too early for any kind of "revamp" or relaunch before the settle point of active players was reached. as the numbers kept droping slower und slower so  guess like 10-15k would have kept playing on a daily basis. this wouldn't have been a bad starting point to get the game better and better and get numbers back up with good patches and content. i mean A LOT of games do just fine with a fraction of that and atlas surely is a game that could get back to really high numbers too.

so i mean yes there are EA games that wipe all the time but just look at how they do...atlas clearly hyped their EA as some kind of launch and i bet they didn't plan to wipe but they really made some very bad decisions and 180 turn arounds that make some wonder if they really got their vision straight...like the nerf to stone structures, i mean who would have guessed that ppl do not like being offlined in a matter of minutes and thought "hey this will get us more players" - no problem to get raided but it should also take the same afford as building up a base. i think the wipe, the rework and now this dual server setup are just like this and will cost them even more players besides a short boost when everyone is checking back - if they don't state that from this point they no longer wipe...i mean in this game you got to sail a half a day just go get salt for your "fridge" noone will do things like this with future wipes and hardly anyone will play a lot which would be sad.

i love mmo's and like the survival games tho i never got hooked by them due to their super small servers. so this is what atlas has going for it for now but with how they handle it atm it's hard to want to stick around still 🙂 

13 hours ago, Realist said:

Yes. I was definitely hoping they had learned from ark. I actually was.

it did seem like they had changed in the beginning but now it is pretty much back to randomly changing things. Radio silence and a disregard for the players.

it is very unfortunate but if you have played ark then I am mainly just preaching to the choir right now. But yes it does suck

Where is the disregard for the players, exactly?  You need your hand held more than it already has been? 

You say they need more numbers to "stay afloat..."  You do realize that once someone has bought the game, their financial contribution is over, right?  Current numbers are irrelevant.  Everybody knows they are reworking things, and everybody is busy doing other things until the devs are ready to go.  What's so hard to understand about that?

I honestly don't give two sh*ts about anyone's experience with Ark.  Enough about Ark.  People can't even get their story straight.  "It was horrible!"  "They never lost numbers!"  So which is it?

8 hours ago, Amy3 said:

Ok.

And you really think this moment is the best time to be promoting Atlas?  Really?

You don't think, maybe, oh I don't know, hold off promoting until after PTR, after wipe and new systems are good and stable?

Good G*d people, get a hobby for a little while.  Advance your careers before you get sucked back into the game again.  Catch up with old friends.  Take the dog out.

When there's news, we'll get news.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Realist said:

Ye many people left before wipe announce. That´s why changed claim system/war system/offline protection comes, u know? I quit before wipe announce. I will come back just because of new system where my ships won´t be offlined every night so I will be able to enjoy some PvP instead of farming/rebuilding. By "I" mean our whole company. 

Edited by Willard
  • Like 3

I hope they do leave.  More space for me.  And room for new players unaffected by wipes.

Even if none of the players came back they have already made their money so your point is moot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kveldulf said:

And you really think this moment is the best time to be promoting Atlas?  Really?

You don't think, maybe, oh I don't know, hold off promoting until after PTR, after wipe and new systems are good and stable?

Good G*d people, get a hobby for a little while.  Advance your careers before you get sucked back into the game again.  Catch up with old friends.  Take the dog out.

When there's news, we'll get news.

Uh, yes? They have been working on this patch for three months. It has a lot of things in it. It has things in it that the players don't even know anything about yet, but we know they exist, because they have been mentioned as major patch features.

Why don't players know anything about these things? Because the people who should be promoting the game and creating hype for the patch, have not been. The hype machine for this patch should've started weeks ago. It is a re-launch of the entire game. We should not be in the dark about how it will go, but we very much are.

8 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

Uh, yes? They have been working on this patch for three months. It has a lot of things in it. It has things in it that the players don't even know anything about yet, but we know they exist, because they have been mentioned as major patch features.

Why don't players know anything about these things? Because the people who should be promoting the game and creating hype for the patch, have not been. The hype machine for this patch should've started weeks ago. It is a re-launch of the entire game. We should not be in the dark about how it will go, but we very much are.

They have been working on it for three months? Where do you get these numbers? Three months ago they were not working on this system. I bought the game roughly mid January. There were no plans for this revamp then. They were happily chugging along with the old system then. 

9 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

Just saying it's a question of timing.  Right at this moment, if they promote it and people come check it out... they'll see a server full of taken land, ghost ships everywhere, with a wipe coming any day now and a patch that hasn't even been tested yet.

Imagine you buy a horribly broken down house with the intention of fixing it up, making it great, and then flipping it for a great profit.  Wouldn't you want to finish the work before you put the house on the market?

Otherwise, people who come to your house are going to say "wow, this is awful, what were you thinking?"  Or, they'll say "well, good luck, call us if you ever manage to do this."  etc.

There'll be time for promotion, absolutely, I'm just saying right now isn't it.

4 minutes ago, Kveldulf said:

Just saying it's a question of timing.  Right at this moment, if they promote it and people come check it out... they'll see a server full of taken land, ghost ships everywhere, with a wipe coming any day now and a patch that hasn't even been tested yet.

Imagine you buy a horribly broken down house with the intention of fixing it up, making it great, and then flipping it for a great profit.  Wouldn't you want to finish the work before you put the house on the market?

Otherwise, people who come to your house are going to say "wow, this is awful, what were you thinking?"  Or, they'll say "well, good luck, call us if you ever manage to do this."  etc.

There'll be time for promotion, absolutely, I'm just saying right now isn't it.

You can promote the patch and hype the patch and TELL PEOPLE WHAT IS IN THE PATCH without encouraging them to come check it out right now. At this point in the patch cycle we should understand how a lot of the new mechanics are going to interact. We don't even know what a lot of the new mechanics are.

All they've managed to do this month is string along the few players who do still care, while not actually giving them a lot of real information about the future of this game. I understand the reason for this - the reason is because the developers keep changing their minds and even they don't have a really strong plan here either. But that's not very okay.

11 minutes ago, SIEGEGUN said:

They have been working on it for three months? Where do you get these numbers? Three months ago they were not working on this system. I bought the game roughly mid January. There were no plans for this revamp then. They were happily chugging along with the old system then. 

The first rumblings of a major big patch, with features like the new biome, secure trading system, guillotine, etc, that was definitely back in January.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, SIEGEGUN said:

No. She is correct. The March mega update had already been planned to bring a lot of different things before the revamp was even a thought.

the mega update was a thing a long time ago. The ptr and revamp are new additions.

so yes we are in the dark as far as everything else goes and we are still pretty much in the dark as far as the revamp goes

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Amy3 said:

The first rumblings of a major big patch, with features like the new biome, secure trading system, guillotine, etc, that was definitely back in January.

2 minutes ago, Realist said:

No. She is correct. The March mega update had already been planned to bring a lot of different things before the revamp was even a thought.

the mega update was a thing a long time ago. The ptr and revamp are new additions.

so yes we are in the dark as far as everything else goes and we are still pretty much in the dark as far as the revamp goes

I guess I mentally divided the "mega patch" from the system change. Yes I know the mega patch has been going on forever with those additions to the game. I think I separated them in my mind because one is just adding in content which I expect them to be doing, the system change is changing how the mechanics of the game actually work. The mega patch would have basically just added "nice" stuff, the system change has stopped the entire game and will change how the game itself functions. But yes I guess the system change was "added" to the mega patch que. 

Guys you need to chill until the patch is done. I'm one of many waiting for the patch to come out before I return to the game. The second this patch was announced I stopped playing in wait for the patch. Play some other games while waiting, you'll be fine. Alot of people will return for the patch, some won't, some new people will come. We will see how the game performs after the patch, that will in large determine how it will be going forward. It's not strange for the game to take a huge dip while waiting for the big patch to come.