Sign in to follow this  
Captain Jack Shadow

So the Megas are determined to circumvent the rules, and thus, kill this game?

Why?  If the Megas go to the Colonies servers, and ally up, to maintain their Mega status, they will kill the game.  In the end, they will be alone, just the Megas.  So why do it?  Why not go to the Empire servers?  Afraid of being exposed?

• Like 2

Megas shouldn't even be a option in a pirate game. Pirates did not run in huge ass armies.  Black beards crew was 20.  All megas do is go around like cowards anyways. If the odds are even they wont attack you until your offline or they can out number you. Then they think that makes them good at the game. Atlas is a good game but the developers are just out for a quick cash grab.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Why?  If the Megas go to the Colonies servers, and ally up, to maintain their Mega status, they will kill the game.  In the end, they will be alone, just the Megas.  So why do it?  Why not go to the Empire servers?  Afraid of being exposed?

There is an old saying that comes to mind - "be careful what you wish for" :classic_wink:

On another note I find it hilarious that you already come up with your new excuse for why you will lose even before this new mode is launched. Given up on the old tired "offline raiding" excuse have we? :classic_laugh:

Edited by Bullet Force
  • Like 1

Not exactly, it's a little bit more complicated than that, keep in mind big companies are still going to need smaller companies to occupy their land in order to maintain land costs. A lot of people are overlooking this fact. So anyone on their vengeance against the little guy thing, is only hurting themselves. Small companies are necessary to keep upkeep costs down. It is not cost effective to beat on the small guy. Some of us were looking forward to the initial patch, which would of had that same upkeep rule, basically it would of been siege mechanics on land and raiding on the seas, that way we didn't have to camp our bases 24/7 and experience more of the game.

Edited by Spyrit

1 minute ago, Spyrit said:

Not exactly, it's a little bit more complicated than that, keep in mind big companies are still going to need smaller companies to occupy their land in order to maintain land costs. A lot of people are overlooking this fact. So anyone on their vengeance against the little guy thing, is only hurting themselves. Small companies are necessary to keep upkeep costs down. It is not cost effective to beat on the small guy.

Careful there your not matching Captain Jack's narrative of the poor little guy being picked on. We don't need more truth on this forum.

6 minutes ago, Bullet Force said:

Careful there your not matching Captain Jack's narrative of the poor little guy being picked on. We don't need more truth on this forum.

I am sorrry, I will go to my corner.

• Haha 1

a lot of people in megas are happy that they can go with smaller groups now.

What is the problem about ally up with people you already know? Does this prevent another company from getting the same amount of allies?

your post is pointless. you cry about the server before its even launched.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ButtPirate said:

Megas shouldn't even be a option in a pirate game. Pirates did not run in huge ass armies.  Black beards crew was 20.  All megas do is go around like cowards anyways. If the odds are even they wont attack you until your offline or they can out number you. Then they think that makes them good at the game. Atlas is a good game but the developers are just out for a quick cash grab.

Should they be an option in a MMO? Sorry man. But the facts were staring you hard-ass in the face even before this game was even out. 

Personally I feel

The smaller the tribe the more skill it takes TO be awesome,

These mega's  well.... well are just the opposite 

• Like 4

This is not that big of a deal in my opinion. Look at it this way, before the announcement of "empires" this was the setup anyway. In other words without empires this was how it was going to be anyway. Now they have restricted the colonies mode further in regards to company size. So while of course a mega will circumvent the system as best they can, the new organization rules will make it more difficult to maintain their structures. I am not saying impossible, but it cant be done in game anymore. Difficult or not, it fractures their structure. Also in addition to the point made above about settlers and small companies, people forget I think that megas in the old system had a lot of numbers by their awesome merge or get wiped mindset. I know not all megas did this but a lot of them did. How many of those companies who merged out of fear but otherwise would have stayed independent are going back with said mega? The numbers are going to balance differently. Most megas are a core of good players surrounded by a huge wrapping of medicore players. Also while megas still have a numbers advantage it isn't the 100 naked man flag spam 24/7 days anymore in colonies. Depending on how they implement the new claim system, it should be a lot harder to take somewhere in the colonies system as opposed to the empire system. Unless you just are bad at PvP, in which case owning an island is not for you anyway.

The thing is if they go with the attacking flag system they will not be able to intervene on land but will probally still able to sink boats, unless they code it out to lock them out of the server.

The other thing, is block everyone from the attack, or defense by numbers joining the servers.

Count on new exploits because the megas find a way to do it all. Even if it was against a legit company, they still find a way to exploit the system.

Otherwise they will just cheater spam, and or DDOS the server.

I still wonder why nothing has been done but coding might be pretty weak why they can.

The new cheat invis? is a GM admin command, so they still can access this i guess?

I am very happy about the fact that the megas dont want to play on my Empire server but go to Colonies instead where they split into sub units (MegaA, MegaB....) all allied and coordinated through discord.

Good Job.

14 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Yeah, the game won’t last long man. It sucks but that is just what the Megas do so now we just have to hope the game comes to console before they run out of money.

i really don’t mind even if they give up and stop development after it comes to console

There was a whole lot of fighting between megas in the week leading up to the wipe announcement, if the pvp server truly just does become "just the Megas" I think they could live with that

2 hours ago, Amy3 said:

There was a whole lot of fighting between megas in the week leading up to the wipe announcement, if the pvp server truly just does become "just the Megas" I think they could live with that

Yes and run out of money very quickly. Hopefully it does come to “just the Megas”. I really want to see what happens

On 3/22/2019 at 11:57 PM, Captain Jack Shadow said:

We want the new Claim System and smaller groups.

Nothing wrong with mega's.  The problem is with people's attitudes to playing the game. 

Could do with more options for organising megas tho, into smaller companies whilst maintaining mega size overall.   Assigning managers/leaders etc colour coding maybe as well.  Individual text chat and voice channels.  Stuff like this.

So a Mega would have a Tribe name, then company a, b, c etc then each company might break down into platoons/fleets and those into sections etc. Each with it's own level of support ingame.  This way groups of 6 or 12 or 20 or 50/100/200 etc could be better maintained.

As for the complainers.. go play a single player game if you don't like a multiplayer one.  Also mmo and multiplayer aren't actually the same thing.  One just means alot of people. The other means they tend to be in competition.

Megas in an of themselves are not a problem.  It's the mechanics of the game that allow Megas to be a problem.  If you don't think a Mega can be a problem in a PvP game, I ask you this.  Would you play a CoD game, or Battlefield, if you logged in, and you are on a side with 10 people, but the other side has 250?  I mean that fight is literally going to go just one way, every single time, barring somebody on the 10 man side, using a cheat.  So why play it?  What's the point?  Nobody would play that.  It SHOULD be boring for the people on the 250 man side, and would mostly be frustrating for the 10 man side, though the people on the ten man side might actually pull off an occasional burst of kills.  But in the end, the 250 man side is going to win, every time.

So it is better to have game mechanics that encourage more equal sides in a fight.  Not guarantee them, but promote this to happen.  Those that don't like this, don't actually want hardcore PvP.  They want to be on the 250 man side, and overwhelm smaller groups through numbers, then walk away thinking that what they did took skill.  It's delusion.

• Like 3

Hm. Disagree a bit since those games are not an RPG MMO survival kinda thing. If you can be in a world with hundreds of other people, there will he mega’s and such, nothing you can do about it really. Anything has it’s work around. With the current animals, stuff like upkeep costs that would benefit small groups is just a laughable thing. You can farm tens of thousands of gold and materials per day. Have you ever thought how this game would look without the OP animals? I think that would solve a lot of problems. 

When the animals aren’t OP, the upkeep cost of big companies would actually matter a lot. That’s in my opinion the best way to tackle mega’s. Making things more expensive (the upkeep for larger groups) won’t have any affect as long as you can farm this much without doing anything really. 

It would tackle ship spam, upkeep cost, making ship fights more realistic again rather than full kamikaze since you build a gally within a few hours/a day. It would benefit trading and exploring since you can’t just buy all the sorts of fiber etc at the shop. But hey, that’s what the devs wanted, but not the community and now we’re here talking about how large the problems are with the mega’s when in fact, we helped contribute to it even when we’re not in one. I bet the mega’s are laughing their asses off for the last few months. 

Edited by Percieval

8 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

Megas in an of themselves are not a problem.  It's the mechanics of the game that allow Megas to be a problem.  If you don't think a Mega can be a problem in a PvP game, I ask you this.  Would you play a CoD game, or Battlefield, if you logged in, and you are on a side with 10 people, but the other side has 250?  I mean that fight is literally going to go just one way, every single time, barring somebody on the 10 man side, using a cheat.  So why play it?  What's the point?  Nobody would play that.  It SHOULD be boring for the people on the 250 man side, and would mostly be frustrating for the 10 man side, though the people on the ten man side might actually pull off an occasional burst of kills.  But in the end, the 250 man side is going to win, every time.

So it is better to have game mechanics that encourage more equal sides in a fight.  Not guarantee them, but promote this to happen.  Those that don't like this, don't actually want hardcore PvP.  They want to be on the 250 man side, and overwhelm smaller groups through numbers, then walk away thinking that what they did took skill.  It's delusion.

There is no way how to prevent different companies to work together in an mmo. Doesn't matter of those are fractures of mega company or different companies. You are asking for smt impossible.

The changes must come from the playerbase, not the devs.  It is "we" who need to change our attitudes to the gameplay, we don't/shouldn't need to be forced to do what will only be fought against.

However.. it again comes down to opinion on what your pvp game is.  IF 3 ships locate 1 ship on the open sea, does 1 of the 3 then solo it or do all 3 attack it? There is no particular reason why both outcomes shouldnt be equally viable.

The next problem is when is a group viable as a group.. when they limit themselves or when they unlimit themselves.  Are we here to win or lose?

Edited by Martyn

What kind of game do you want?  Surely there should be some room for free game play.  if somebody risks one ship, they should expect to be jumped by 3.  But, a completely unlimited, no rules, no limitations game just isn't going to work.  The most perfect game has the average gamer seeing roughly a 1 to 1 success/failure rate.  This is a game that many people will keep coming back to play.  But the 3 on 1 ships is not the issue.  That's a one off encounter. 

Having large groups, playing against small groups, just doesn't work.  Would you play a soccer game if the other side is allowed to have double the number of people you would normally have on the field, while your team is only allowed 1/2 the number normally allowed? Of course you wouldn't.  But why?  Because the outcome is decided before the game even starts.

• Like 1

On 3/23/2019 at 7:06 AM, ButtPirate said:

ehm you forgot a 0 there 😛 blackbeard had a crew of about 200, and just so you know the biggest pirate crew was off about 80k or about 1800 ships 😉😛 
https://www.choptankriverheritage.org/RiverGuide/Stories/html/pirates_-_real_blackbeard.html

https://www.ancient-origins.net/history-famous-people/ching-shih-prostitute-pirate-lord-002582

but ofc bigg ass crew's i can agree should stick to the Empire servers, im just saying if you gonna quote history, atleast do it right, that Blackbeard had a crew off about 20 is a joke...

13 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

No one takes 250 ppl into one fight. You would be surprised how many ppl in a mega company that dont actually pvp. Plenty are there building stuff and taming stuff.

4 hours ago, Captain Jack Shadow said:

What kind of game do you want?  Surely there should be some room for free game play.  if somebody risks one ship, they should expect to be jumped by 3.  But, a completely unlimited, no rules, no limitations game just isn't going to work.  The most perfect game has the average gamer seeing roughly a 1 to 1 success/failure rate.  This is a game that many people will keep coming back to play.  But the 3 on 1 ships is not the issue.  That's a one off encounter. 

Having large groups, playing against small groups, just doesn't work.  Would you play a soccer game if the other side is allowed to have double the number of people you would normally have on the field, while your team is only allowed 1/2 the number normally allowed? Of course you wouldn't.  But why?  Because the outcome is decided before the game even starts.

Your team is allowed a many as they want. They just need thier leaders to get over themselves and merge with others. If not then they should prbly stop whining that they are hindering themselves and thier own company.